Texas recruiting notes 2019

2 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Sorry but before reading bru’s most recent comments I think we had a glimpse of hope but nothing to bet on. Also the fact that we whooped their ass, have 2 dominant receivers, QB that has a  trajectory going way up, a CCG appearance and NY6 bowl could have been a solid case. But unfortunately it wasn’t. Shit happens and we couldn’t take the dream out of the kid even if it’s turning into a shit hole. But this my no means was a pipe dream and it shows Herman isn’t scared to go up against this type of recruit. 

There is no doubt we had his attention, along with his parents. However, it was going to take a bigger clusterfuck with regard to SC’s coaching staff than what transpired to swing him to his second choice. Our staff did an admirable job considering the circumstances.

Bru seems like an intelligent kid, and looking at the flip side, Kliff has a pretty impressive track record of developing QBs and WRs, going back to Evans at aggy. If/when he chooses USC, I’m sure he’ll be a stud. Easy guy to root for.

As for us, we signed Eagles, Woodard and Moore last year to be studs and they effectively redshirted this year. Add in Duv returning for his senior year + Whittington, Smith and Washington, even if we lose CJ and LJ, we’ll be fine at WR.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Who is celebrating the fact that we're going to miss on Bru and Sanders?  I'm fucking pissed, and I bet most of you guys are too.

I'm pissed that we're not getting those instant-impact guys.  I'm pissed that we've missed on a ton of in-state instant impact guys, too.  I'm pissed that we spent so much time and effort on Sanders and Bru that presumably could've put placed elsewhere.  I'm pissed that Drayton, who was hailed as some kind of mythical rainmaker, has totally shit the bed as a recruiter and position coach. 

I'm pissed that we have a bunch of other coaches on our staff that aren't worth a hot shit, either.  I'm pissed that Herman is keeping those coaches around (at least through NSD1) because they, presumably, would help with recruiting, when that's obviously been a bad fucking idea.  I'm pissed that we have huge holes on our defensive depth chart and coaches that are so fucking oblivious about their players' mental status that they don't know a player is in a bad spot until the fucking pack up and leave.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

I'm pissed that Mack Brown hired Phil fucking Longo and Clay Helton hired Kliff fucking Kingsbury, and we're sitting over here hoping to cobble together offensive schemes by adding in David Beaty.

Now tell me how you really feel.

Rippperoni Bru. I got my hopes up but don't blame him for staying close to home. But the part of that interview when he said that USC has a special plan where he can graduate in three years is fucking stupid. 

Anyway, can someone explain like I'm five why Katy RB's have a stigma? I like to catch up on recruiting this time of year but I don't follow high school football closely. Is it because the lineman are pancaking everyone in glass' highlight vid? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Who is celebrating the fact that we're going to miss on Bru and Sanders?  I'm fucking pissed, and I bet most of you guys are too.

I'm pissed that we're not getting those instant-impact guys.  I'm pissed that we've missed on a ton of in-state instant impact guys, too.  I'm pissed that we spent so much time and effort on Sanders and Bru that presumably could've put placed elsewhere.  I'm pissed that Drayton, who was hailed as some kind of mythical rainmaker, has totally shit the bed as a recruiter and position coach. 

I'm pissed that we have a bunch of other coaches on our staff that aren't worth a hot shit, either.  I'm pissed that Herman is keeping those coaches around (at least through NSD1) because they, presumably, would help with recruiting, when that's obviously been a bad fucking idea.  I'm pissed that we have huge holes on our defensive depth chart and coaches that are so fucking oblivious about their players' mental status that they don't know a player is in a bad spot until the fucking pack up and leave.

We go from a 5 win team to a NY6 bowl in two years and you're crying because we aren't recruiting like SEC playoff caliber teams (...but still have a top 10 class). Okay.

Edited by HermsMasseuse
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 31

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

I think this a bit on the extreme side, but it is true that Bru and Sanders should be luxuries. That's a bigger point I really agree with.

They should be the guys that you land to make the class incredible, not the guys you need to land to make it acceptable.

You don’t turn around an aircraft carrier or a down blue blood football program on a dime. I feel disappointed, about some misses, but like where we are right now. Think about the last ten years, look where we are (Sugar Bowl New Years), take a deep breath (or toke) and call me in the morning.

• Like 2

Just now, Wishbone said:

You don’t turn around an aircraft carrier or a down blue blood football program on a dime. I feel disappointed, about some misses, but like where we are right now. Think about the last ten years, look where we are (Sugar Bowl New Years), take a deep breath (or toke) and call me in the morning.

While I feel you mean well with what you are saying, I don’t know if you’ve thought about where you are, as the people here will overreact to almost anything, including me, so good luck hoping for anything different, my friend. 

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Where is CTJ?  I feel like he's a good emotional outlet for me on this board, because I can read his posts and think to myself, "Damn.  At least I'm not as fucked up as that guy."

It’s a fun meme, but I’m probably the least fucked up regular on this site. I’ve also been telling this entire site for months that we were utterly fucked on both McCoy and Sanders. The staff’s been absurdly overconfident and so have all the $9.95ers that get fed bullshit from Carrington and others. Literally no news has occurred this afternoon outside of Stevenson committing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Thank you. No 5 star running back is going to look at our running stats and blow his load when he has alabama and georgia offering him an 80 chance of getting drafted in the first round. Our OL play was shit tier last year, slightly above average this year, and hopefully next year its solid enough to catch the eye of true blue chip running backs. Drayton's rotation of backs last year left a lot to be desired, but it's obvious they were concerned about freshman and fumbling related issues. This year Drayton had Watson and Ingram step the fuck up, and Ingram has averaged over 5 yards a carry with next to no fumbles AS A TRUE FRESHMAN. Recruiting RBs this year has been a clusterfuck, but his true measure as a recruiter will be evident depending on what happens with Evans.

Edited by HermsMasseuse
  • Fuck You 10

27 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Not that it would have mattered but I always felt that sanders and bru’s visits were too early. They should’ve been in December or late November.

But we weren’t getting bru unless usc didn’t exist and sanders unless we were willing to match what bama and uga offered.

These 9.95ers are sounding really aggy about the comments of how the staff did all they could etc... sounds like what looch and Hamm were saying last year about Jimbo at least getting a visit from these guys.

Those kids aren't even keeping us in the game if we don't press hard early.

56 minutes ago, HermsMasseuse said:

Let's say we miss on both Cain and Sanders. How do y'all feel about a running back class of Derrian Brown and Deondrick Glass (the likely backup plan)?

You are the worst poster in a  place where shitty posters grow on trees. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Laga4 said:

If he is really that bad I wonder why we offered in the 1st place.  

I think there's value in being mindful that Powell was a transfer to Permian.  There are those who would suggest he earned his rep and  recruiting evaluation his previous high school years at a private high school in Midland against very questionable competition.

14 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Bru seems like an intelligent kid, and looking at the flip side, Kliff has a pretty impressive track record of developing QBs and WRs, going back to Evans at aggy. If/when he chooses USC, I’m sure he’ll be a stud. Easy guy to root for.

As for us, we signed Eagles, Woodard and Moore last year to be studs and they effectively redshirted this year. Add in Duv returning for his senior year + Whittington, Smith and Washington, even if we lose CJ and LJ, we’ll be fine at WR.

What's status on Moore's injury recovery??  

Woodard just injured collarbone in Friday's practice damn it!!!!

Edited by LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This is all true. Still pretty stoked we're going to the Sugar Bowl, and holding out hope there's some course correction on the staff.

But I'm an eternal optimist idiot so don't mind me.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

While I feel you mean well with what you are saying, I don’t know if you’ve thought about where you are, as the people here will overreact to almost anything, including me, so good luck hoping for anything different, my friend. 

Been around in some fashion since 2008. So yes I am aware of where you’re coming from.

It’s a fun meme, but I’m probably the least fucked up regular on this site. I’ve also been telling this entire site for months that we were utterly fucked on both McCoy and Sanders. The staff’s been absurdly overconfident and so have all the $9.95ers that get fed bullshit from Carrington and others. Literally no news has occurred this afternoon outside of Stevenson committing. 

And even Stevenson shouldn’t be a surprise - that kid has been all OU from the start.

5 minutes ago, RabidM said:

You don't think missing on their entire tier 1 RB targets should be a measure of him as a recruiter?  He's the RB coach. That's supposed to be a rainmaker recruiter position coach.  He can't even recruit RB's, much less all the other positions a RB coach normally does.   

I 100% agree that missing out on the top 2 rb's on your board is fucking awful. I'm just not ready to label him as a complete bust at recruiting and coaching running backs. Watson and Ingram have done a lot better than I think a lot of us thought they would at the beginning of the year. Watson was a god damn godsend, and a great recruiting job. We still don't know if we're going to miss out on Cain and Sanders. The big fish is Evans. All of this is just foreplay for Evans next year.

Edited by HermsMasseuse
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You miss every shot you don't take.

• Like 1

I 100% agree that missing out on the top 2 rb's on your board is fucking awful. I'm just not ready to label him as a complete bust at recruiting and coaching running backs. Watson and Ingram have done a lot better than I think a lot of us thought they would at the beginning of the year. Watson was a god damn godsend, and a great recruiting job. We still don't know if we're going to miss out on Cain and Sanders. The big fish is Evans. All of this is just foreplay for Evans next year.

RB production in 2019 is going to go a long way towards getting Evans to sign in 2020. If we can’t run next season - he’s not going to sign here.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

RB production in 2019 is going to go a long way towards getting Evans to sign in 2020. If we can’t run next season - he’s not going to sign here.

I agree completely, but I think if we can't run the ball next year we have a lot bigger issues than our running back coach.

• Fuck You 5