Texas recruiting notes 2019

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What in the fuck did I just click into? A debate about the efficacy of taking a proven grad transfer at TB when we have scholarships available? What the fuck is going on here?

It’s possible I got the thread off track with my question as to why we only took one back last cycle and lamenting the mediocrity of the position. Anyway, back to current recruiting. 

Also it would be nice if the students showed up to the spring game, but I know they won't. A bunch of emo nerds on campus these days. Me and my friends would have used this as a pre-game for 6th. The nerds will be playing fornite in Jester instead.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, Bruh Man said:

Can't remember the last time I felt so at ease about recruiting. This shit is fun again. 

Welp, that didn't last long.  

6 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

What a shitty few days. It's time for Herman to get rid of the dead weight. 

2 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Also it would be nice if the students showed up to the spring game, but I know they won't. A bunch of emo nerds on campus these days. Me and my friends would have used this as a pre-game for 6th. The nerds will be playing fornite in Jester instead.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What in the fuck did I just click into? A debate about the efficacy of taking a proven grad transfer at TB when we have scholarships available? What the fuck is going on here?

Whole lot of pessimism and stupid on the board right now. People honestly wondering if Herman will put on a fun recruiting experience this weekend when he literally has a 100% track record of that over the past year. Pets heads falling off.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Sick Bruh Man, you fuckin party? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I bet you guys crushed it back in your day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Considering how long some of the names here have been following recruiting the level of stupid is reaching Higdon levels.

Pump the brakes my friend.  Some people definitely need to call in a prescription level of vagisil, but we are no where near Higdon levels of 10-87-39-22-11, an attack free message board, where you are pulling up a bar stool among friends type shit.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

https://twitter.com/boimarv9/status/986307892172283905?s=21

I don’t know how to insert this, but Leal tweeted: Big Day tomorrow 👀🎒

His tweet includes a "bag," and Herman and Co. got in trouble for taunting the opposing team with the "secure the bag" bit during the Mizzou game.

That can only mean that Leal is taunting aggy and is actually committing to the good guys tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrispy said:

No, it instills very little confidence on the RB’s currently on campus. Considering our QB was our leading rusher last season, it seems rather reasonable actually. 

Our QB was our leading rusher in 2005 and that worked out pretty well.  Let your nuts hang. 

Leal is a difference maker at a position of need - pretty painful to consider that he may play in CS, but there will be ups and downs in recruiting until the end - this staff has shown they can recruit well and I have confidence we'll finish with a good class. Winning will make all the difference, if we can win 9+, some of the options that appear to moving off the table will be back.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Not for nothin, but Jordan Patterson will officially be at the spring game. His Twitter bio pic is him in a UT uni and helmet, and he only follows two people after a year of being on and it's DeGabriel Floyd and TFB's Andrew King. 

I have no idea what kind of shot we have for him but you gotta like where we're starting. 

He's Floyd's half brother. He speaks highly of us and liked his last visit, so I'd say we have a good shot, but I'm not sure where we would be on a list of favorites or if he's a take. 

Right, he’s a grad transfer, so that was a mistake on my part. Still, the impetus behind the interest remains the same. I believe they expected more out of the guys currently on campus and now, in retrospect, are trying to get creative. 
For my part, I don’t think it’s a dumpster fire, but the RB room definetly needs to be upgraded. Hopefully Ingram comes in and lights it up, but relying on freshman is often a mixed bag. As for the 2019 and 2020 guys, my concern is for the 18’ season, as it’s a big one. 
Anyway, this should probably be on the football board and is all pure speculation on my part. 
I'll tell you the impetus behind the interest, but it doesn't have so much to do with what we have on campus + Ingram for the fall as it does the position itself. Programs who are able to run the ball no matter who's in the backfield tend to have success more often than not, and RB's get injured or dinged up for multiple games more often than any other position...combine that with elite RB's all wanting to be the "feature back" and only RB taken in their class, coaching staffs that aren't named Alabama have to get creative to make sure there is a stable of competent runners behind their elite RB's...and we currently don't even have one of those. (Carter, Young or Ingram could be, but we know elite isn't coming from Porter and Kirkogrinds may never see the field)

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Why isn't anybody blaming Giles for Leal?! 

And you call this a Texas Recruiting Thread... Come on guys. Do you think you're better than Orangebloods or Horns 247 posters?!

It's passé at this point. Also, the monthly Giles conversation already occurred a few days ago.

14 minutes ago, SuperSurly said:

Leal is a difference maker at a position of need - pretty painful to consider that he may play in CS, but there will be ups and downs in recruiting until the end - this staff has shown they can recruit well and I have confidence we'll finish with a good class. Winning will make all the difference, if we can win 9+, some of the options that appear to moving off the table will be back.  

I'm ok with a kid choosing aggy over Texas.  I've seen the ups and downs of recruiting.   It'll be his burden to bear. 

What I want to know is, what actually happened during his two days in college station that made him totally 180 and want to immediately commit on the spot without even giving Texas a chance.  That's what concerns me.  I mean the kid has been to 'the station' before.  Something was revealed to him on his trip that made him say, 'screw it all...I want to be an aggy for life!'  Brian Williams seemed to do the same thing.  What is the selling point?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm ok with a kid choosing aggy over Texas.  I've seen the ups and downs of recruiting.   It'll be his burden to bear. 

What I want to know is, what actually happened during his two days in college station that made him totally 180 and want to immediately commit on the spot without even giving Texas a chance.  That's what concerns me.  I mean the kid has been to 'the station' before.  Something was revealed to him on his trip that made him say, 'screw it all...I want to be an aggy for life!'  Brian Williams seemed to do the same thing.  What is the selling point?

Ask daddy98 over at texaggy, maybe he finally roused the aggy bagmen.

No, not suggesting anything about Leal, but there is what appears to be a bag emoji in his Twitter twatter..

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

It's only a 180 if you believe EJ and some of the other $9.95'ers on this side of the aisle.  The Aggie $9.95'ers were also confident.  It was a surprise that EJ and others were wrong and the Aggie ones were right, but after having a train run on them the last year and a half, they had to get one right eventually.

The book on Leal seems to be that he's still fairly new to the recruiting process. He was probably very comfortable with Texas based on the relationships, but given the chance to see a different place and get the hard sell he was enamored and got swept up in the moment. It's hard to tell if the feelings he experienced will last, because he's still relatively new to the process for a guy of his talent, but we're going to find out.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The book on Leal seems to be that he's still fairly new to the recruiting process. He was probably very comfortable with Texas based on the relationships, but given the chance to see a different place and get the hard sell he was enamored and got swept up in the moment. It's hard to tell if the feelings he experienced will last, because he's still relatively new to the process for a guy of his talent, but we're going to find out.

Good take on Leal...

It's normal to get caught up in the moment, it's not normal to get so caught up in the moment that you shut it down quickly with so much time left before signing day, and to aggy of all places. If Herman hadnt been on Leal early (let's say Jimbo was starting his second year at aggy while Herman was the new coach at UT) then it might make a bit more sense, but Leal was #1 on the board for us while Jimbo was still having awkward pressers at FSU.

Something happened this past weekend, what that is I couldn't tell you. I've been to Collie Station, and I don't think even being wined, dined and ass kissed like a top recruit would be enough for me to see that place as anything more than it really is...but I'm not a recruit in 2018 either.
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Brian Williams had a strong pre-existing relationship with Elko going back to his days with Notre Dame. Our 2018 DB haul probably didn't help.

Yeah the Demani Richardson commit is the head scratcher.  Offered in late January, visits a week later, and gives a silent then goes public a few weeks later.

2 minutes ago, ousux said:

It's normal to get caught up in the moment, it's not normal to get so caught up in the moment that you shut it down quickly with so much time left before signing day, and to aggy of all places. If Herman hadnt been on Leal early (let's say Jimbo was starting his second year at aggy while Herman was the new coach at UT) then it might make a bit more sense, but Leal was #1 on the board for us while Jimbo was still having awkward pressers at FSU.

Something happened this past weekend, what that is I couldn't tell you. I've been to Collie Station, and I don't think even being wined, dined and ass kissed like a top recruit would be enough for me to see that place as anything more than it really is...but I'm not a recruit in 2018 either.

I think he was promised a starting spot as a freshman and he fell for it.  Jimbo has probably told Stripling the same thing.

29 minutes ago, deech said:

It's only a 180 if you believe EJ and some of the other $9.95'ers on this side of the aisle.  The Aggie $9.95'ers were also confident.  It was a surprise that EJ and others were wrong and the Aggie ones were right, but after having a train run on them the last year and a half, they had to get one right eventually.

Even setting aside what the $9.95ers were saying, we had invested a LOT of time in the Leal recruitment. He's visited a bunch, and so on. I agree that it's really puzzling for him to shut it down so quickly. I do think that part of it is this site underrating the aggy staff's recruiting chops. They've got some hitters for sure.

Anyway, came here to ask who our backup plans for Leal are. I haven't heard many names at all. Doesn't seem like a great year in state at DT beyond Leal.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Even setting aside what the $9.95ers were saying, we had invested a LOT of time in the Leal recruitment. He's visited a bunch, and so on. I agree that it's really puzzling for him to shut it down so quickly. I do think that part of it is this site underrating the aggy staff's recruiting chops. They've got some hitters for sure.

Anyway, came here to ask who our backup plans for Leal are. I haven't heard many names at all. Doesn't seem like a great year in state at DT beyond Leal.

It's a pretty deep year at DT, actually.  But none of them are on Leal's level.

• Like 1

The whole Jimbo promising a starting spot thing is a bit much but the rest of his pitch and momentum isn't all that hard to understand. 

We were able to clear the fucking board and load up on recruits with Charlie who could not get a win to literally save his job. This year (like us last year) Jimbo is selling the dream and the future all while having a horrible depth chart. It's an easy pitch. I do believe there's at least a bit of su$pect play involved but probably no more than most schools. He also hired a staff that is made up of better recruiters than coaches. It is paying off for him in the short term.

If Leal has committed, it seams odd that Wisdom, who is visiting Austin for the spring game Saturday, is retweeting this.

Maybe Wednesday's rumoured announcement is just a narrowing of the schools still in it. Like down to 2... Good guys and fake army.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, CBHorn said:

If Leal has committed, it seams odd that Wisdom, who is visiting Austin for the spring game Saturday, is retweeting this.

Maybe Wednesday's rumoured announcement is just a narrowing of the schools still in it. Like down to 2... Good guys and fake army.

He has no stock in it either way without an offer from either school. No reason for him not to support his friend

On 4/16/2018 at 11:13 AM, closetojumping said:

Well, well, well. 

One of the things I enjoy about recruiting is that it's an unpredictable thing to follow. Maybe at macro levels, things aren't totally surprising on an ongoing basis, but at the micro levels on a case by case basis, the pendulum can swing violently for and against my interests.

It takes a stomach to enjoy it, though, and some of you pussy-rubbing hillbillies should be disqualified from posting here because you can't handle it and your wailing and gnashing of teeth shames the rest of us by association. 

While this weekend certainly took on a case by case turn for the worse, those stating that we ceded the weekend to our enemies are correct. What were UT's options? Host a shitty BBQ gathering in which 4 3-stars named Biff show up because other schools hosting their spring games aren't interested? 

ATM has allegedly now taken the position of guaranteeing a starting spot to 3 different recruits in this class. As true freshmen. I guess, on some level, some of you may find it comforting that they can only do that 22 times each year. I find the premise amusing, flat out. To some guys, this is going to make a dent - see Brian Williams. Apparently Leal. It's going to be interesting to see if Richardson chooses to lose his spot on the magical depth chart by visiting elsewhere. Apparently, that's the dangle. Not the scholarship offer itself. This seems like a road fraught with peril for the staff doing this kind of thing.

Stacey Wilkins has always seemed like a classic OU/Arkansas type, Pacific islander roots notwithstanding. I'm not conceding the recruitment, but I've never liked our position. 

Leal is a case of whiplash for everyone, I think including the family. Let's see if that is permanent or if time plays into our favor. There's no spinning on this one that everyone shouldn't feel worried about it, though. 

I guess now we really get to see how strong this staff is at this recruiting thing. Fisher and team certainly have a plan. Riley too. Herman's staff has been executing against a strong plan as well, but as the philosopher-king Mike Tyson once stated, "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face". What is the staff doing to hit back? Should be an interesting spring and summer. 

Texas, LSU and Bama all host recruits this weekend at their spring games. Who goes where among the recruits should be telling for everyone. Do some that we wanted stay home after attending either OU or ATM last weekend? I am betting so. Do some that we wanted go to LSU or Bama? I bet so. Will we have a slew of guys in attendance including some surprises? I assume so as well. Whatever the case, my guess is that if there are any silents in UT's hip pocket, some of them will be asked to step forward soon. 

44 minutes ago, ousux said:

CTJ says above that he's heard that promising a starting spot pitch is exactly what A&M is doing and how he enforces preventing visits. You visit another school, you still have your scholarship offer, but lose the offer to start immediately.

6 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Wisdom was also in College Station with Leal last weekend.

Watson, Pappoe, and teammate WR Kenyon Jackson are supposed to be here the weekend before this for their OVs. 

Watson was probably already one of the silents but this probably confirms it as I believe he didn't take his ND OV and would have rescheduled later in May. Probably also means the door and any cracked windows we were trying to sneak into are closed on Pappoe. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

10 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

So what's up with the shushing emoji and money bag?