Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

18 minutes ago, lonestar3 said:

Either way I'd love to hear what sold him on aggy. 

Early playing time. 

Everyone that has joined the Aggy class so far has been sold on early playing time/starting roles. It's their big pitch right now. It's also why I think a lot of them will stick despite a sub-par season. They'll see themselves as able to plug-and-play and be a solution. It's what every new staff does with the high end guys. Herman and staff have been straight with kids about where they would fall on the depth chart at Texas AND elsewhere. Hell, they will tell you where you are on their big board by position. They are brutally honest with the kids, parents, coaches, and trainers about it.. Some kids don't like the honesty when they see where they are on the board and get turned off by it (Arjei) and some guys are motivated by it (Banks, Patterson). This isn't going to change. 

• Like 2

Holy mother of fuck Surly. What the fuck? I go on some shitty work travel and come back to the goddamn beating that is this fucking thread? Mother of fuck. Chill the fuck out. 
I'm not happy about the Leal thing but it is early. Aggy is going to have to grab and hold on to guys because their season will be what it will be - 7 or 8 wins but some weeks where they will be non-competitive. They are going to get guys because they are in the 1st year bounce. A least of couple of those guys were quoted as saying they were afraid of the large class at Texas last year. Fuck that shit.  Yes, Jordan Patterson is the guy that has been recruiting himself to Texas and yes he is fucking good. Also of note, EJ brought his grades to this convo but they are nowhere near as dire as say Josh Ellison or some shit. Don't listen to fucking EJ. 
The Cal RB is being brought in because he is a scheme fit. Now they will see if he's a cultural fit. Get used to it. This staff will never stop recruiting at and over any position. If they see a player that is a scheme and cultural fit they'll bring him in. The same reason you'll see full classes every year. You won't see any smaller classes until the roster is at a championship level and even then, if a player is a fit and can contribute then he'll be recruited. We are going to see some turnover after the fall and spring every year. 

This weekend is going to be a good one but this staff is not pushing for fauxmentum or early commits. OU has used 17 of their 56 OVs already, Aggy 14 of 56. That is fucking huge because OU and Aggy have taken the very early approach to this cycle. I'd imagine that both are going to wish that they had paced themselves a bit here. Texas, Clemson, Alabama, and USC are holding back on OVs - taking the opposite approach. After seeing the rush last season between NSD1 and NSD2, I think it's clear that the teams that hold enough OVs to host huge events between the bowl games and signing day are going to have a lot of leverage to complete their classes with talent and not bread. 
Texas is going to sign a badass class in 2019. There are going to be some quotes from the past few pages that texifornia can pull up for the lulz in Feb. 

OU has had 17 visits and has 11 commitments to a probable 22 commitment class.

And 11 probable good commitments. Not sure why keep bringing this up. In the other thread it was “they better get 4-5 more after Henderson and Wease”. Ok .... they did. Now it’s the visits themselves they should be concerned with losing.

Moving goalposts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, Catjuggler said:

OU has had 17 visits and has 11 commitments to a probable 22 commitment class.

And 11 probable good commitments. Not sure why keep bringing this up. In the other thread it was “they better get 4-5 more after Henderson and Wease”. Ok .... they did. Now it’s the visits themselves they should be concerned with losing.

Moving goalposts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damnit!  Stop juggling cats and focus on the issue at hand.  Our pets heads are falling off!

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I actually do kinda think that the quality of their season is pretty unimportant, unless they totally crater and go 3-9 or something. Our season last year was the definition of mediocre and the only decommits we had were OOS guys that were all flaky from the get-go.

Our staff doesn't take no for an answer, of course, and if we have a nice season I think it'll turn some heads, but I don't think we'll see an exodus from aggy specifically because they go 7-6 or whatever.

Context, in this case, matters.  We've been terrible under Strong for three seasons, and Herman at least got us to a bowl and could enjoy the "year two bump" this year. Sumlin consistently won 8 games.  If Jimbo wins 6 or less, it will have an effect against a resurgent Texas. How much effect will be anyone's guess. 

Goddamn there isn't a single Sooner poster on Surly that isn't a hopeless, hapless, helpless piece of shit. 

Do you fucking know what moving the goalpost means? There is nothing different in either conversation that you are discussing. How could there be a moving of the goalpost if the discussion is exactly the same? OU has gambled by having 17 of their 56 OVs already completed. That is fact. I said that they need to make sure it ends up in more commits than just Henderson and Wease, and it has. Also fact. Also in both discussions.  

OU and A&M each have hosted more OVs than the perennial top 15 recruiting schools combined. If you don't see the anomaly in that, the inherent gamble that is discussed, I don't know what to tell you. Also, who are the 11 commits? I see 9 for the 2018 class and 7 of those would've been predicted to OU by every person on Surly 6 months ago. (Jones and Green would be the outliers -- just so we can keep your mouth diarrhea to a fucking minimum). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

so as leal gone on the record yet about what changed?

if he's a quiet/shy kid like some have mentioned then he might be difficult to flip. 

These last two visits were the first time he really heard Jimbo/Brewster's pitch.  He's seen everything Texas has to offer and still picked aggy after two visits. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about a flip, unless aggy absolutely shits the bed on the field this year, which is not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

I remember a tweet posted on shaggy that was probably like a year ago now where Leal talked about how great the SEC is and he wanted to play in that league.  At the time, I didn't think it was a good sign for UT but then we didn't hear anything about it and he visited Texas a ton so I figured we were in good shape.  It seems like he's always felt that way and aggy was able to capitalize. In a way, Poona getting DPOY in the B12 is great because it shows how good our coaching staff is, on the other hand, it's easy for the other conferences to negative recruit because the DPOY in the Big 12 didn't even get invited to the combine.  I'm sure aggy mentioned that and whored out the SEC constantly while he was on his visit, which led to him falling for the (used car) sales pitch.

• Like 3

I get that Leal is a big loss at a position of need.  I get that he is a player that Herman and crew have recruited heavily early and wanted.  But let's not pretend like he is the first player at a position of need to go elsewhere or that he will be the last.  17-18 year old kids make dumb decisions.  Sometimes those decisions work in our favor and sometimes they do not.  Obviously this makes the job a little harder for Giles and others, but it's not like they are in a worse position than they were in January of last year.  

Losing Leal sucks, no doubt about it. But, the must land recruits specifically for Texas this year are the O-line targets, this one of the areas of the roster that desperately needs an influx of talent. aggy desperately needed help on the d-line as they have had the opposite problem as us the past few years, they have signed alot of quality talent for th O-line but not the D-line.

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

These last two visits were the first time he really heard Jimbo/Brewster's pitch.  He's seen everything Texas has to offer and still picked aggy after two visits. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about a flip, unless aggy absolutely shits the bed on the field this year, which is not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

I remember a tweet posted on shaggy that was probably like a year ago now where Leal talked about how great the SEC is and he wanted to play in that league.  At the time, I didn't think it was a good sign for UT but then we didn't hear anything about it and he visited Texas a ton so I figured we were in good shape.  It seems like he's always felt that way and aggy was able to capitalize. In a way, Poona getting DPOY in the B12 is great because it shows how good our coaching staff is, on the other hand, it's easy for the other conferences to negative recruit because the DPOY in the Big 12 didn't even get invited to the combine.  I'm sure aggy mentioned that and whored out the SEC constantly while he was on his visit, which led to him falling for the (used car) sales pitch.

The combine point is something I haven't thought of. You gotta love seeing Zaycoven Henderson invited despite his arrests/assault on women yet a class act A+ person like Poona doesn't get invited. Eff the NFL. 

14 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Word on the street is that we pulled Leal's scholarship offer before his ATM visit, so it's not a big loss since we didn't want him anyways. 

This was weeks after we stopped recruiting him, correct? That’s what I’ve been told too.

Edited by Casual Encounter

2 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I think as a program we are finally at the cusp where we go out and win 9/10 games this year and get back to the steady top 7 classes or have what happened last year and start the Charlie demise. I am glad we finally got to this cusp as Charlie never did. 

For some reason, I don't see leal flipping back. No sources but just my guess based on what I've read and following recruiting for a while. But, I do think we will land a d lineman that will make losing him much more bearable-most likely someone OOS. 

Like most, I am pissed and would love to hear the full story. And yes, it's not over especially with some commits this weekend and a solid spring game where beck falls from the box. 

He just may become the next Dylan Mack for aggy.

Reading the article, he didn't really seem to commit over their football team, other than Terry Price. He seems to have committed because those weirdos are a constant pep rally. If that's what he wants, he chose the right school if it was between them and Texas.

If you can embrace the weirdness, want your proverbial cock sucked by middle aged white men, see male cheerleaders with skinhead hair-dos, fat chicks in puff painted overalls, fake army men yelling about uncovering and walking on the grass... if that seems like "home" to you, you made the right decision.

I could respect Adrian Peterson for wanting to "win championships". But, he got to watch Vince in a confetti shower. Probably on Mama's TV. They're kids. Mine aren't any smarter on life decisions.

It's a lost battle. I won't lose any sleep over it. The one kid talking shit continuously on Twitter just daily reinforces what an idiot he is.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, LoneStarBiker said:

Just wondering if Leal is such a dominant player how come he only had 2 sacks last year. I would think the bestest defensive player in the state would have far more than that. 

That's what happens when teams literally scheme their offense to avoid you. Don't be mistaken, Leal is as good as they come.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LoneStarBiker said:

Just wondering if Leal is such a dominant player how come he only had 2 sacks last year. I would think the bestest defensive player in the state would have far more than that. 

Let's not go Aggy now.

1 minute ago, Quasimofo said:

Reading the article, he didn't really seem to commit over their football team, other than Terry Price. He seems to have committed because those weirdos are a constant pep rally. If that's what he wants, he chose the right school if it was between them and Texas.

If you can embrace the weirdness, want your proverbial cock sucked by middle aged white men, see male cheerleaders with skinhead hair-dos, fat chicks in puff painted overalls, fake army men yelling about uncovering and walking on the grass... if that seems like "home" to you, you made the right decision.

I could respect Adrian Peterson for wanting to "win championships". But, he got to watch Vince in a confetti shower. Probably on Mama's TV. They're kids. Mine aren't any smarter on life decisions.

It's a lost battle. I won't lose any sleep over it. The one kid talking shit continuously on Twitter just daily reinforces what an idiot he is.

Herman always says that aggy is a really good school for a very specific kind of person, and I agree with him. As inconvenient as that may be, Leal may be the kind of kid that really jives with the whole aggy vibe. How else would you describe the insane 180 he pulled without going to the obvious "HE WAS PAID!" statements? Jimbo has a competent recruiting staff that will pull some kids. It happens. That is what makes this fun. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LoneStarBiker said:

Awww hell no! Wasn't trying to go there, just thought 2 sacks in a year is kinda meh that's all. I understand he's a great player and we'd love to have him. 

If you watch the Lake Travis game, you'll see him causing disruption pretty much non-stop 

still a long way to go on this and all the recruitments.

with their schedule and what they return, it is highly likely that they suck ass this year.  it's not a question of if, it's a question of how badly do they suck.  this will affect their recruiting.

if/we win like we're all expecting, recruiting will take care of itself.  but if we shit the bed, it probably won't be just leal who we lose.

more than any other recent season, i think this season will make or break texas recruiting for the foreseeable future..  if we shit the bed, cock sucker 2 up north, the cuckold to the east, and the sec will take the share of texas 4 and 5 star recruits.  we will as expected, fuck all of them.

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

If we know anything, we certainly know how bad ass LT O-lineman are....

How many high schools have bad ass o-linemen?

Most big defensive linemen don't have much of a motor in high school, so a kid doing it play after play is noteworthy. 

SIAP, TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-18th/

– I spoke with the father of elite 2019 offensive linemen, Kenyon Green who tells me that the family does plan to make the trip to Austin this weekend for the Texas Spring Game.

Green is in the process of narrowing his list and I suspect a top five will be released in short order. Texas should make the cut.

In terms of a timeline, it sounds like they’d like to take their five official visits and then decide, thereafter. The sense I get is that the family would like to see how some of the teams Kenyon is considering will perform this upcoming season.

Green is a truly elite talent. He has fantastic length, the feet to stay in front of his man and he understands both technique and scheme. Kenyon has benefited from natural gifts and the gift of having a father who is a voice of wisdom and a great football teacher.

In my opinion, Green is the offensive linemen Texas needs to find tooth and nail to land, in this class. – (Super K)

– Earlier this year, Cal running back, Tre Watson announced that he would transfer after graduation, which will make him immediately eligible to play this fall.

Watson visited Texas Tech this past weekend and has announced plans to visit LSU later this month.

Watson had some news for Texas fans, as well, though. He announced that he will visit Texas for the Spring Game, this weekend.

Watson had a strong 2016 campaign, running for over 700 yards and averaging 5 yards per carry. He also had an additional 241 yards through the air averaging 11.5 yards per reception.

Watson started the 2017 season averaging once again around 5 yards per carry. But a torn ACL he suffered against Weber State sidelined him for the remainder of the season.

Once Watson went down, Patrick Laird stepped in nicely and finished the season with over 1000 yards rushing. With Laird’s success, it became clear that Watson wouldn’t see as many carries this upcoming season.

But with nearly 1000 all purpose yards, he could be just what Texas needs to enhance their short passing game and running game.

We are checking to see where things are in terms of a possible offer for Watson. We hope to have more on this, shortly.

– (Charlie)

– This is looking like a big weekend to for offensive linemen. We already reported that Kenyon Green plans to visit Texas this weekend for the Spring Game.

2019 OT, Javonne Shepherd (North Forest) tells me he will also be in attendance at the Texas Spring Game, this weekend.

This is good news as Texas A&M is a big threat for both Green and Shepherd. – (Super K)

– After his recent visit to Oklahoma, I spoke at length with 2019 CB, Jaden Davis (Fort Lauderdale, FL) and he let me know that he will take an official visit to Texas on May 4th – 6th.

He has Penn State scheduled for this upcoming weekend. He also has a Kentucky official visit planned for June 8th – 10th.

A commitment will be announced on July 18th. Primary schools in the running at the moment are OU, Clemson, Texas, Penn State and Kentucky.

– Also, checked in with the father of 2019 CB, Derek Stingley about their visit schedules. Stingley, in my estimation is the best cornerback in the country. If he isn’t a three and done 1st through 3rd round guy, I’ll be surprised. Like Dax Hill at safety, Stingley is a notch above elite.

Stingley Sr. tells me that they will be at LSU this upcoming weekend but are looking at a possible return visit to Texas on May 4th – 6th. I say “return” because Stingley visited Texas last summer.

LSU is the team to beat here.

– Lastly, I checked in with the father of 2019 DB, Jalen Catalon. It does not appear they will be able to make it down for the Spring Game to which he said, “we would love to make it out but unfortunately I will be traveling out of town and will not be able to attend”.

Texas appears to be in a good spot with Catalon however according to Jalen, a decision date is still quite a ways away. Jalen tells me that he doesn’t plan to announce a commitment until January 31st. – (Super K)

– As you already know we reported that Javonne Shepherd and Kenyon Green, two of the top OTs in the country will be at the spring game. You can now add Tyler Johnson as well as his mom just informed me this news.

Tyler and his parents were just recently in Austin for a scrimmage followed by their 1st official visit to OU this past Saturday.

Getting him back on campus so quickly is definitely not a bad thing. As always we will work to bring you an update after the visit. – (Alex)