Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, longhrnfan said:

The women may be fine, but there is NO way they are on our level. Maybe you are just referring to California girls? 

That aside  - for the exception of not being a Blue Blood - I get the allure of Stanford. 

He's kidding. Stanford girls are mediocre at best and East Palo Alto is no bueno.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

OB War Room for people to trash:

Reveal hidden contents

(From Suchomel)

Obviously, one of the big recruiting stories we’ll be tracking this weekend will be the official visit of Lake Travis wide receiver 
Garrett Wilson. When we talked to Wilson late this week, he maintained that his mind isn’t made up yet (preview story here if you missed it) and said he’s going into the UT visit with an open mind.

In talking to Ohio State reporters following last weekend’s visit to the Buckeyes, the vibe they were picking up is that OSU took a sizeable lead on this race and Texas would have to really blow Wilson away during his visit to have a chance. This staff has pulled off some major surprises before … we’ll see if it can do it again with the ultra-talented Lake Travis receiver. When I spoke to Wilson, he said it’s not so much about anything Texas can do this weekend, it’s more a big-picture decision for him on where he’ll fit best.

“I don’t really know if it’s what they can say or do. I just want to have a good visit, just see where I can fit in,” Wilson said. “If I feel I can fit in there, that’s what it would come down to.”

As McComas mentioned recently, Texas has approached Wilson about the possibility of playing basketball as well, if that interested in him. When I asked Wilson about that topic this week, it sounds like it’s something that intrigues him but won’t really factor into his decision.

“Coach Smart has been talking to my dad a whole lot. Coach Herman brought that up about a month ago,” Wilson said. “If I wanted the opportunity, it’s there. It’s something I’ll think about, but right now I’m making the decision on football only.”

Wilson plans to announce his decision on Twitter sometime next week.

Top cornerback target Marcus Banks is set to attend Saturday’s UT spring game, which could be a big development as the Spring Dekaney standout also works towards his official visits. The more times Texas can get him on campus, the better, and the staff should have a chance to register another strong impression this weekend.

Banks said this week that he’s been taking a step back from recruiting after the recent passing of his father, but he’s stayed in touch with coaches from Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, Penn State and Alabama.

Texas has help in this one from 2018 signee Malcolm Epps, a teammate of Banks’ who has been working on the Longhorns’ behalf. Banks has been picking Epps’ brain about his upcoming UT official visit, which is set for May 4.

“When I talk to Malcolm about it, he said his went well. I try to ask him how goes, he said he had a fun time so I’m excited to see what they have in store for me,” Banks said. “He wants me to pick the school that’s best for me, but he still wants me to go to Texas with him. He always tells me that. He tells me if I don’t go to Texas, he’ll be mad at me.”

Early in the process, Texas looked really good in this one. LSU took the lead, per Banks, after a spring visit there, but he said this week that things have evened out and he’s slowing things down.

“What I’m doing, I’m going to take all my official visits and kind of go from there because I kind of took a step back and reevaluated all the schools that have offered me, trying to make sure I’m making the right choice and wasn’t favoring anybody over the other schools,” Banks said. “After I take all my official visits I’m going to make my decision.”

Banks is trying to get official visits done this spring so he can commit this summer. As of right now, Texas and A&M are the only visits scheduled and he’s trying to sort through his options for his other three. This one continues to feel like it will come down to either Texas, A&M or LSU and with Banks quickly setting up two official visits to UT and A&M, it could very well wind up being an in-state battle. Tough one to call right now but I do like where Texas sits.

2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans visited UT a couple weeks ago and will be back again on Saturday for the Orange-White game. That can’t be bad. Evans, arguably the best back in the nation for his class, said his most recent visit went very well, further solidifying UT’s position at or near the top of his list.

“I feel like it was better than any other visit because we actually sat and did film this time, straight film. I already knew about the school, but the way he broke it down to me, how I’d be a valuable asset in his offense, it was amazing,” Evans said.

It was Evans, his brother and Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton in the film room. Evans said he feels, based on what he’s seen, that the Texas offense is going to be “very explosive this year” and he’s expecting Texas to rack up a large number of wins this fall.

Evans’ thoughts on Drayton …

“I feel like he’s a very valuable coach. The way he breaks down film is like no other,” Evans said. “It’s very understandable coming from him. Then I feel like as I keep going up there, we bond closer and closer every time.”

It’s early, but Texas is in a great spot on this one and just has to continue building a strong relationship with Evans, something the staff has done a great job with already. A solid showing by the Texas offense this fall won’t hurt, and Evans mentioned he’ll be watching the offensive line play closely to see if it improves. As for the spring game, he said he wants to see how well the offense can do overall.

“I want to see how explosive the running backs are,” he said. “I want to see how well the can overcome adversity. I just want to see the explosion of the whole offense.”

After telling us on Sunday he didn’t have any plans for visits this weekend, five-star offensive lineman Kenyon Green is planning to be in Austin for the Orange-White game.

Texas made a strong move with Green when he visited in early March and I came out of that visit thinking the Longhorns’ chances were as high as anyone’s. When I spoke with Green after a recent Rivals camp and again last weekend at an Under Armour Camp, he was a little more subdued when talking about colleges, including Texas. Needless to say, getting him on campus this weekend could be big for Texas as Herb Hand continues to build a relationship with the Humble Atascocita standout.

One note of interest … I asked Green how much attention he pays to the recruit edits he gets from school, and if he talks to some of the offensive linemen in the state about playing together. He said he does, and mentioned Javonne Shepherd and Andrew Coker as the main two he speaks with.

“I just kind of see where his head is at,” Green said of Shepherd. “That would be great if both of us could play at the same place but it’s his decision and my decision.”

The good news for Texas is that Shepherd is going to be at the spring game on Saturday as well. The bad news is that Shepherd and Coker both hold offers from A&M and both (along with Green) are strongly considering the Aggies.

2020 wide receiver Collin Sullivan will be at the spring game on Saturday. The Round Rock receiver, who is now up to seven offers, said he’s been talking to coaches from several schools, including Texas.

“I’ve been keeping in touch with the schools that have offered, talking to Northwestern, Oregon, I just went to Houston. Arkansas just offered me so that was really good,” Sullivan. “Everything was good. I’m just waiting to see what’s coming next.”

Texas hasn’t offered yet, but Sullivan is hoping that changes in the future and he said he has built a solid relationship with the UT staff.

“I’ve had a good relationship, keeping up with coach Beck and coach Mehringer,” he said. “You just have to stay patient. That’s how they do things. I’ve just been keeping that relationship open.”

If Texas offers, look for the Longhorns to be the team to beat.

“That would be really nice. That’s been like a dream offer,” Sullivan said. “I love it up there. It’s right down the road. That one would be really good.”

God, Green is just fucking surrounded by aggy.

38 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Smart move by aggy to bring in Shepherd on Friday to talk him out of coming to our spring game. We should have done the same with a few guys last weekend.

Never going to happen. Herman, Chang, and the rest of the entire staff do not and will not operate from a base of fear. Even if the 16-18 year old kids don't know at the top of mind that a move like that is motivated wholly by fear, it is there and the underlying question becomes what are they keeping me from? Herman and staff are much more likely to encourage a kid to make all his visits and ask all the questions than to deny him or try to get him to avoid a trip in April. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

God, Green is just fucking surrounded by aggy.

Not unlike Stripling. His fucking little brother is the biggest Aggy cockblock working against us. I think Stripling would be much more amiable to Texas if it weren't for Curtis, not to mention that whole Mayde Creek (re: Katy Highway Holla!) echo chamber effect. 

24 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Never going to happen. Herman, Chang, and the rest of the entire staff do not and will not operate from a base of fear. Even if the 16-18 year old kids don't know at the top of mind that a move like that is motivated wholly by fear, it is there and the underlying question becomes what are they keeping me from? Herman and staff are much more likely to encourage a kid to make all his visits and ask all the questions than to deny him or try to get him to avoid a trip in April. 

I doubt Herman would try to talk the kid out of going on the visit. But getting a kid on campus the day before he goes to your rival's spring game is an opportunity to proactively confront whatever negative recruiting bullshit they're going to throw at a kid. Seems like it might have been a good strategy

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Now we know why they offered Coker. 

Why? 

I think there's a very real scenario where Texas doesn't sign Green or Shephard and they both go to ATM. I don't like that, but it's frankly as likely as anything. So the Coker offer should make sense in some other way to you than it being because you think they're going to whiff on Green and Shep and they know it. 

Separately, and I'm interested in knowing whether the $9.95ers are saying as much, but I think there's a great chance that Tyler Johnson commits this weekend if he visits. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why? 

I think there's a very real scenario where Texas doesn't sign Green or Shephard and they both go to ATM. I don't like that, but it's frankly as likely as anything. So the Coker offer should make sense in some other way to you than it being because you think they're going to whiff on Green and Shep and they know it. 

Separately, and I'm interested in knowing whether the $9.95ers are saying as much, but I think there's a great chance that Tyler Johnson commits this weekend if he visits. 

I think aggy offered Coker to help them get shepherd and green, since green says he talks to those 2 about playing together. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That would be awesome. Secure some more studs and continue to build the class.

IT

SPRING GAME RECRUITING ROSTER 

Grad transfer candidates

RB Tre Watson, Cal - Coming off a torn ACL sustained early last season, Watson is at 90-95% healthy and will be full go soon. If Texas can get the 2016 version of Watson, they'll have a guy who can run between the tackles, receive out of the backfield, and pickup the blitz. The former Golden Bear would be a fine addition to a running back room looking for consistency. Also enticing, he'd come with zero cost, especially to the 2019 recruiting class.

Recent grad-transfer commit Calvin Anderson is actually helping with this pursuit. 

The staff continues to turn over every stone.

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) - TEXAS: Too often people forget about RJ. That happens when you commit so far ahead of signing day. They’ll quickly remember once they see him in September. The quiet, confident leader of 2019’s class wouldn’t miss this. 

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL): One of the nation’s top tailbacks is Austin bound again. He’s been to UT a few times (though it's been a while since his last visit) and each time he leaves with a sense of wearing that No. 7 in Stormtrooper Whites. Texas looks good here, but beware of the Bayou Bengals. 

WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (Austin, TX): The burnt orange carpet treatment will be in full effect this weekend. GW is an uphill battle that Texas coaches aren’t afraid to climb. Remind him of the little things: The 512, his close family and friends that’ll be able to watch him in person, Cade Brewer, building Texas back to where it belongs (his words), and the ability to own Austin one day from a business and community leader standpoint. Herman will take his biggest swing and probably envision Urban when he does. 

TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX): Texas and TCU (still no offer) stand out for the Wileys, but that Temple pipeline has to keep producing - TaQuon Graham, Davion Curtis - just keep the valve open. This will be Wiley's third visit of the spring.

OL Branson Bragg, Crandall (Crandall, TX): He says he sees some of himself in Herb Hand, the reinassance man. Stanford pushed hard but Bragg's family, mainly momma, would prefer he stay closer to home. It's hard to quantify how valuable a commitment from Bragg would mean to UT's offensive line long term prospects. I'm still waiting to see him get beat, in anything. 

OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX): The safest OL take in the 2019 class. Johnson could play either tackle spot and Texas looks better for him than any other schools. A lot better. I like Tyler. A commitment here wouldn't be too surprising.

OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar, Allen (Allen, TX): Texas could be leading here, but they've prioritized others in this strong class. OU leads, but Texas can change that. I think they should strongly consider it. If they want EJ-NO, this is the weekend to show it. Length is the hold up here. The staff wants G/T options over pure guards.

OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX): This could get tricky. He’s expected to make an appearance in College Station today right before his Austin visit. This is Jimbo Fisher pressure tactic No. 14, “Don’t let a big-time left tackle that was once a lean forget why he was a lean.” Texas and Herb Hand have made a lot of progress in this recruitment. More than we’ve written. That trend needs to continue. This recruitment could be a bellwether. 

OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita (Humble, TX): An A&M lean until he met Herb Hand and Yancy McKnight. In the 2019 class, where Texas and A&M are rebooting Bloodsport, Green is a priority take with guard and tackle potential. As we've written, he's in no hurry to make a decision. This will likely boil down to UT/A&M.

DE Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (Richmond, TX): He might be a backup plan, but Mpagi is a talent with a lot of upside, though he doesn't have the cleanest projection. He's been to Austin multiple times. 

DE Zach Williams, Joe T. Robinson (Little Rock, AR): An under-the radar type that can hold down the defensive end spot. Nice offer sheet as well withe Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. This is a good chance for the staff to get a body projection. Is Williams a B-backer or will he evolve to a 4i?

DL Gabriel Hall, Waller (Waller, TX): He looks exactly how you draw them up at 6-foot-5, 280 pounds. Like Christian Jones, he's a bit raw but could end up on either side of the ball. Texas likes him for defense at this point. 

LB De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA) - TEXAS: One day we'll remember how big this commitment was. Floyd is not only a legit five-star prospect, but kids in Cali respect him. He's helping with a lot of guys including Bryce Young (who I expect will be offered next week when Tim Beck hits LA), Chris Steele and Bru McCoy, who will visit next weekend. 

*LB David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch (Katy, TX): Texas is being patient with the LB from Katy; Gbenda knows UT wants him and UT knows Gbenda is fond of Todd Orlando and the defense. With A&M, and TCU pushing, I'll feel good here until I'm told different. 

LB Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA): His three-star ranking is laughable. He's versatile enough to play LB or WR. Texas goes digging in south Louisiana every cycle. This year is no different and Tongue has admitted UT is near his top schools, if not the very top.

LB Zach Zimos, Fort Bend Travis (Richmond, TX): Throwback of sorts, he's a linebacker in every sense of word, who will go on an attention grabbing run of offers at some point, maybe as soon as this spring.

CB Marcus Banks, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX): One of the state’s top corners left UT's Junior Day with visions of burnt orange. He then left LSU bleeding purple and gold, and departed A&M thinking maroon wasn't a sin. Bottom line; he's a really good kid that Jason Washington has prioritized. And when J-Wash makes you a priority, good things happen for the Horns. Banks routinely discusses how good of a relationship he has with Washington but he is susceptible to getting caught up in the moment. They should catch him up in the moment. 

*S Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX): The newly transferred Texan recently visited the A&M spring game. UT has made it clear they like Cine, and Lewis is returning the love. He's Demani Richardson insurance, a policy they might need. He visited Austin for consecutive practices earlier this spring.

ATH Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ): This is a bit of a long shot, but you gotta shoot your shot. UT has been great building the relationship with Smith and his family. The combination of Jordan and Jaxon Shipley visually but with even more versatility. USC looks great here, but don't tell Jake that. 

ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX) - TEXAS: J-Whitt has taken it upon himself to be the voice of the #fUTure19 class. Other prospects respect him because of his physical style of play, coaches love him because he could star on both sides of the ball. 

ATH Rashad Wisdom, Judson (Converse, TX): The close friend of DeMarvin Leal is a playmaker in his own right. PJC told me about him two years ago. Physical, athletic tackler, but probably a lower P5 prospect. Regardless, build the relationship. 

Everybody always wants to know who will commit and if Tom Herman has anything up his sleeve to counter the recent success of Oklahoma and Texas A&M. That's tough to answer because Texas has guys I'd predict to end up in the class coming in this weekend but I'm not sure if they're ready to shut things down. If Gbenda shows up, he says he could get 'that feeling' at any time. Tyler Johnson would be a big one, but he may elect to take more visits. Makiya Tongue wouldn't be a big surprise. 

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ousux said:

Greater Houston area is becoming like a mini southern louisiana..

Immense pressure to go full aggy or risk being shunned and blackballed by the community.

Is that what we are calling the Aggy Corridor these days? 

Katy, Cypress, Spring, Kingwood. - just a corridor of fucking average

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

It’s the Aggy takeover strategy. Graduate like 20K dumbasses a year and watch them make up half the states population.

The aggy plague strategy is real. Please inoculate your children, especially in the Houston area. 

45 minutes ago, ousux said:

Immense pressure to go full aggy or risk being shunned and blackballed by the community.

1. Not greater Houston. Literally just the northern burbs that are closest to the lit dumpster fire known as the Station.   

2. There's nowhere near that kind of pressure. Family member's jobs are not being threatened.  They just have to deal with obnoxious people in their ear from every direction. Completely different.

52 minutes ago, ousux said:

The Woodlands/Conroe area is something I know very well and has a heavy aggy presence. Which makes the Ossai and possible Johnson signing all that more impressive. 

Although, the same can be said for Katy and we grabbed Ojomo. 

17 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

1. Not greater Houston. Literally just the northern burbs that are closest to the lit dumpster fire known as the Station.   

2. There's nowhere near that kind of pressure. Family member's jobs are not being threatened.  They just have to deal with obnoxious people in their ear from every direction. Completely different.

Agreed.  See Houston Lamar.

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

This.  Don’t be such a pussy Jimbo. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Why? 

If we get Wilkins and Johnson, I'd make that trade. Green wants to play Tackle and aggie is making promises. I'd be hard over the moon for Bragg, Wilkins & Johnson then find a few more to throw in.

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

If we get Wilkins and Johnson, I'd make that trade. Green wants to play Tackle and aggie is making promises. I'd be hard over the moon for Bragg, Wilkins & Johnson then find a few more to throw in.

Bragg is after Johnson, maybe #1 IMO.  We need an anchor at Center that can be about a 3 year starter.  Green is supposedly going to see how the season plays out which is probably the only shot we have.  Would love to land Shepherd and let him develop for a couple of years.

1 hour ago, ousux said:

The Animals said it all:

We gotta get out of this place
If it's the last thing we ever do
We gotta get out of this place
'cause girl, there's a better life for me and you

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:
6 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:
TE Wiley?  Is he a take at this time?

Wiley is really enamoured with TCU for whatever reason. He keeps waiting for that offer, and if he gets it he'll likely pull the trigger.

You just made up that he'd likely pull the trigger