Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

still a long way to go on this and all the recruitments.

with their schedule and what they return, it is highly likely that they suck ass this year.  it's not a question of if, it's a question of how badly do they suck.  this will affect their recruiting.

if/we win like we're all expecting, recruiting will take care of itself.  but if we shit the bed, it probably won't be just leal who we lose.

more than any other recent season, i think this season will make or break texas recruiting for the foreseeable future..  if we shit the bed, cock sucker 2 up north, the cuckold to the east, and the sec will take the share of texas 4 and 5 star recruits.  we will as expected, fuck all of them.

Did you quote this from last years thread?

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

SIAP, TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-18th/

Reveal hidden contents

– I spoke with the father of elite 2019 offensive linemen, Kenyon Green who tells me that the family does plan to make the trip to Austin this weekend for the Texas Spring Game.

Green is in the process of narrowing his list and I suspect a top five will be released in short order. Texas should make the cut.

In terms of a timeline, it sounds like they’d like to take their five official visits and then decide, thereafter. The sense I get is that the family would like to see how some of the teams Kenyon is considering will perform this upcoming season.

Green is a truly elite talent. He has fantastic length, the feet to stay in front of his man and he understands both technique and scheme. Kenyon has benefited from natural gifts and the gift of having a father who is a voice of wisdom and a great football teacher.

In my opinion, Green is the offensive linemen Texas needs to find tooth and nail to land, in this class. – (Super K)

– Earlier this year, Cal running back, Tre Watson announced that he would transfer after graduation, which will make him immediately eligible to play this fall.

Watson visited Texas Tech this past weekend and has announced plans to visit LSU later this month.

Watson had some news for Texas fans, as well, though. He announced that he will visit Texas for the Spring Game, this weekend.

Watson had a strong 2016 campaign, running for over 700 yards and averaging 5 yards per carry. He also had an additional 241 yards through the air averaging 11.5 yards per reception.

Watson started the 2017 season averaging once again around 5 yards per carry. But a torn ACL he suffered against Weber State sidelined him for the remainder of the season.

Once Watson went down, Patrick Laird stepped in nicely and finished the season with over 1000 yards rushing. With Laird’s success, it became clear that Watson wouldn’t see as many carries this upcoming season.

But with nearly 1000 all purpose yards, he could be just what Texas needs to enhance their short passing game and running game.

We are checking to see where things are in terms of a possible offer for Watson. We hope to have more on this, shortly.

– (Charlie)

– This is looking like a big weekend to for offensive linemen. We already reported that Kenyon Green plans to visit Texas this weekend for the Spring Game.

2019 OT, Javonne Shepherd (North Forest) tells me he will also be in attendance at the Texas Spring Game, this weekend.

This is good news as Texas A&M is a big threat for both Green and Shepherd. – (Super K)

– After his recent visit to Oklahoma, I spoke at length with 2019 CB, Jaden Davis (Fort Lauderdale, FL) and he let me know that he will take an official visit to Texas on May 4th – 6th.

He has Penn State scheduled for this upcoming weekend. He also has a Kentucky official visit planned for June 8th – 10th.

A commitment will be announced on July 18th. Primary schools in the running at the moment are OU, Clemson, Texas, Penn State and Kentucky.

– Also, checked in with the father of 2019 CB, Derek Stingley about their visit schedules. Stingley, in my estimation is the best cornerback in the country. If he isn’t a three and done 1st through 3rd round guy, I’ll be surprised. Like Dax Hill at safety, Stingley is a notch above elite.

Stingley Sr. tells me that they will be at LSU this upcoming weekend but are looking at a possible return visit to Texas on May 4th – 6th. I say “return” because Stingley visited Texas last summer.

LSU is the team to beat here.

– Lastly, I checked in with the father of 2019 DB, Jalen Catalon. It does not appear they will be able to make it down for the Spring Game to which he said, “we would love to make it out but unfortunately I will be traveling out of town and will not be able to attend”.

Texas appears to be in a good spot with Catalon however according to Jalen, a decision date is still quite a ways away. Jalen tells me that he doesn’t plan to announce a commitment until January 31st. – (Super K)

– As you already know we reported that Javonne Shepherd and Kenyon Green, two of the top OTs in the country will be at the spring game. You can now add Tyler Johnson as well as his mom just informed me this news.

Tyler and his parents were just recently in Austin for a scrimmage followed by their 1st official visit to OU this past Saturday.

Getting him back on campus so quickly is definitely not a bad thing. As always we will work to bring you an update after the visit. – (Alex)

So we'll have Green, Shepherd, Bragg, and Johnson all on campus, plus even EJNO.  That will be huge. We need to sell those first four on all playing together. We're the only school that has a realistic chance of landing all of them.  I think our best shot of landing Shepherd and Green is getting Johnson and Bragg in the fold. 

Maybe the graphics team will even put out an update for my avatar. 

Leal got sold on the SEC and the amount of players they put in the league. Jimbo has a long list of his own players he can point to. We can’t really counter that point at this time, and we are going to lose out on some elite guys as a result. There’s only one way to fix that, and it’s the same fix for pretty much any negative recruiting against us. I hope this is the year we finally turn it around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Fuck Leal!! Give me a group of 2/3/4* that bleed Burnt Orange and White.  Hard Work>>>Talent

**Am I doing this right??**

Some will laugh at this, but outside of Graham all our DL were composite 3*'s and we arguably have the best DL in conference and definitely  better than that garbage unit at aggy.  Do we want the high end DL guys?  Of course.  But our DL situation isn't in a terrible spot.  I like all 5 DL guys we got last year and NaNa is a stud.

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Some will laugh at this, but outside of Graham all our DL were composite 3*'s and we arguably have the best DL in conference

Poona Ford was a 4*, though he was not considered an elite prospect like Leal is.

Edited by Machinator

53 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Leal got sold on the SEC and the amount of players they put in the league. Jimbo has a long list of his own players he can point to. 

How many SEC guys has Jimbo put into the league?

I know what you mean though.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

E.J. Holland: Four-star California CB Wright talks Texas

Mykael Wright is starting to really turn his attention to recruiting. The four-star cornerback out of Valencia (Calif.) released his top eight schools last week and is mapping out potential visits. “I don’t have any official visits set up or anything like that,” Wright said. “But I’m going to start to look more into things. I’m looking at the depth charts and seeing where I can play early.”

Wright is extremely high on Pac-12 schools like Arizona State, Oregon, USC and Washington. However, Wright is intrigued by the idea of going out of state and is taking a hard look at Texas. Wright has been in contact with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington and Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington and wants to make a visit to UT at some point on the near future.

“I talk to them a lot,” Wright said. “They want me to come out there and check things out. I’m interested in them, and I want to learn more about the program and all of that. It seem like they have a good school.”

Wright plays on the same 7-on-7 team as Texas commit De’Gabriel Floyd, who is already recruiting him to Austin.

“De’Gabriel Floyd committed there, and he said he loved it and that if felt just like Cali out there,” Wright said. “If he says that Texas is a good school, then I definitely want to check it out. He’s been telling me a lot about it.” At 5-foot-11, 180 pounds, Wright is ranked as the No. 4 cornerback and No. 45 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Some will laugh at this, but outside of Graham all our DL were composite 3*'s and we arguably have the best DL in conference and definitely  better than that garbage unit at aggy.  Do we want the high end DL guys?  Of course.  But our DL situation isn't in a terrible spot.  I like all 5 DL guys we got last year and NaNa is a stud.

This is where I come down. Leal is elite so you want him, but now you just have to find a backup plan. You just have to hit on a few studs. Also, we should reserve this level of freak out for Malcom Brown or Ed Oliver level prospects. 

6 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

So does DT Gabriel Hall from Waller get an offer this weekend?  

Is he visiting this weekend?

No one knew who Moro Ojomo was this time last year and he may end up being the baddest motherfucker out of all the DL we signed last year.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is he visiting this weekend?

No one knew who Moro Ojomo was this time last year and he may end up being the baddest motherfucker out of all the DL we signed last year.

For real. Last year we signed the best DT in the state and a young, talented guy in Ojomo. There are always late risers on both lines. That's just how puberty works for some kids. They bulk up late, put out good senior film, and boom they're a wanted prospect. 

Losing Leal hurts. I was as surprised as everyone else by the change in heart. Losing Wilson is going to suck too. But we'll still finish with a top 10 class and I'd bet we close on at least one of the 5* out of state guys. 

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anybody think we get a commit this weekend?

My guess is we don't get any over the weekend but we get a string of them starting May 1st. But it also wouldn't surprise me at all to see one or two. 

Only Wilson is on his OV this weekend (compared to A&M and OU who had a bunch of OVs and needed to close on some). Some of our top guys (Cain, Green, Wright, etc.) want to take their time and that probably bodes well for us given Herman's slow approach to recruiting and what will hopefully be a better season in the fall. 

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

My guess is we don't get any over the weekend but we get a string of them starting May 1st. But it also wouldn't surprise me at all to see one or two. 

Only Wilson is on his OV this weekend (compared to A&M and OU who had a bunch of OVs and needed to close on some). Some of our top guys (Cain, Green, Wright, etc.) want to take their time and that probably bodes well for us given Herman's slow approach to recruiting and what will hopefully be a better season in the fall. 

What are you doin man

Edited by TankedBevo

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I think Wells hinted at maybe Jalen Catalon and/or Tyler Johnson

Seems like Johnson, Watson, and NaNa are the next 3 unless we get a surprise.  Those 3 alone probably vault us into the top 10 with an insane composite average, especially whenever 247 gives Watson his bump from the opening.

16 minutes ago, happyhookem said:

Leal specifically mentioned in his tweet "financial" considerations. Is his family to poor to get to Austin as opposed to CS? Or does aggy have their own Uncle Red?

He wants a business degree and to make lots of money after college.

EDIT: I'm a dumbshit, I read Nana instead of Leal. I think ole DeMarvin got the "you're a guaranteed starter year one, so you'll make NFL bucks, plus aggy network"

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I posted it in the football thread, but that Center from tOSU who's been mentioned as a grad transfer candidate is transferring.

Looks like he redshirted, so he's a grad transfer with 2 years left? Pretty nice if so

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anybody think we get a commit this weekend?

Johnson or Nana would be the odds on favorite unless there’s an absolute shocker. Watson has his date set but those are the next three it sounds like. Total wildcard could be Cain

Everything I have heard, parents, teammates, Texas coaches, all believe that Wilson has not made up his mind at this point. I would not take Higgins' comment over Wilson's parents, his best friends or the Texas coaches. That said, OSU definitely made a strong pitch and became a viable option. Baldwin played a big role in that discussion. I stand by my statement that if Texas gives him a reason to commit, he will be a Longhorn. His parents want him at Texas. He wants to be part of the group that brings Texas back. I trust Herman, Naivar, Washington, Carrington, and Huff will do what it takes to get him in burnt orange.

As for Leal, he definitely was not the best DLineman LT played against last season. Ojomo was the best LT played all season. But Leal had the highest ceiling due to his size, frame and overall ability to move so well for a guy that big. Leal took a lot of plays off and got winded pretty quickly into both games. He was singled most of both games by LT's right tackle who will be playing at Midwestern State in the Fall. Although, LT did chip him with a back and TE at times. So while he was the best prospect from a size, speed, movement perspective, he wasnt as disruptive or as effective as Ojomo. If I had to take one or the other, it would be Leal based on his ceiling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Everything I have heard, parents, teammates, Texas coaches, all believe that Wilson has not made up his mind at this point. I would not take Higgins' comment over Wilson's parents, his best friends or the Texas coaches. That said, OSU definitely made a strong pitch and became a viable option. Baldwin played a big role in that discussion. I stand by my statement that if Texas gives him a reason to commit, he will be a Longhorn. His parents want him at Texas. He wants to be part of the group that brings Texas back. I trust Herman, Naivar, Washington, Carrington, and Huff will do what it takes to get him in burnt orange.

As for Leal, he definitely was not the best DLineman LT played against last season. Ojomo was the best LT played all season. But Leal had the highest ceiling due to his size, frame and overall ability to move so well for a guy that big. Leal took a lot of plays off and got winded pretty quickly into both games. He was singled most of both games by LT's right tackle who will be playing at Midwestern State in the Fall. Although, LT did chip him with a back and TE at times. So while he was the best prospect from a size, speed, movement perspective, he wasnt as disruptive or as effective as Ojomo. If I had to take one or the other, it would be Leal based on his ceiling.

Seems like you get less confident with every post...

I kid. Appreciate the info.

Just now, Machinator said:

Seems like you get less confident with every post...

I kid. Appreciate the info.

I cant or wont get further into details here. I am not less confident. I expected Urbs to do what he does and make a big push. He is a great, great recruiter. I saw that first hand with Baldwin. But I expect Herman to do the same thing and counter Urbs. If all things are equal, Wilson is going to Texas. 

• Like 1

As for Leal, he definitely was not the best DLineman LT played against last season. Ojomo was the best LT played all season. But Leal had the highest ceiling due to his size, frame and overall ability to move so well for a guy that big. Leal took a lot of plays off and got winded pretty quickly into both games. He was singled most of both games by LT's right tackle who will be playing at Midwestern State in the Fall.

Don’t knock the Indians bruh.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

He wants a business degree and to make lots of money after college.

EDIT: I'm a dumbshit, I read Nana instead of Leal. I think ole DeMarvin got the "you're a guaranteed starter year one, so you'll make NFL bucks, plus aggy network"

Yeah, plus "3 techs make more in the NFL than 3-4 ends"

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

Everything I have heard, parents, teammates, Texas coaches, all believe that Wilson has not made up his mind at this point

Maybe he and his parents aren't telling the lake Travis mafia because it would spread like wildfire, but he told Ohio State that he's going there, and it's obvious he told his buddy Higgins as well

Maybe we knock this OV out of the park and get him to change his mind and delay, but I doubt it. A great season overall, especially offensively, could potentially change his mind. We'll see. 

Tom Loy: All over the place on Notre Dame’s top defensive end target

So, where will four-star defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah end up when he announces his commitment on May 19? Here’s what I’ve been told and the interesting part is, sources are all over the place. A few sources heading into this past weekend’s trip to Notre Dame felt the Irish were trailing Texas. That’s fair. Texas got hot and were pushing extremely hard, got him on campus, and left a big impression.

One source from the Big 12 believed Notre Dame was actually out and his final two were really Texas and Texas A&M, even though the Irish were expected to be named publicly as a finalist. That source believed he wanted one of the two Texas schools, but the Aggies weren’t all that interested. Now, I’ve got multiple sources telling me Notre Dame made a big move and some believe the Irish are now slightly ahead of Texas. I’m also told the Longhorns staff is optimistic and they feel good, but not nearly as good as before this past weekend’s trip to South Bend.

In the end, it’s going to be hard for Osafo-Mensah to pass on staying home and playing for the Longhorns. Familiarity, distance, friendships, all of that sits in Texas’ favor. However, this young man gets what Notre Dame is about and his parents are fully on board as well. The Irish coaching staff was tremendous this past weekend and after talking with Osafo-Mensah, it’s clear that they did every possible thing to try and land him. If he commits elsewhere, no blame should be put on Notre Dame’s staff. It just didn’t work out.

That said, I do know that Osafo-Mensah was saying all of the right things, all weekend long, to people connected with the Notre Dame football program. That hasn’t always been the case. Most believe he isn’t the type to just tell people what they want to hear. That bodes well for the Irish, but at the same time, one visit to Texas could change it all. Getting the last crack is key for the Longhorns. To be completely honest, nobody knows what Osafo-Mensah will do. People can speculate, but nobody truly knows yet. Silent commitments happen all the time. In this case, I truly believe that the 6-4, 227-pounder hasn’t made one yet and is still considering his two finalists — Notre Dame and Texas.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Tom Loy: All over the place on Notre Dame’s top defensive end target

Hide contents

So, where will four-star defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah end up when he announces his commitment on May 19? Here’s what I’ve been told and the interesting part is, sources are all over the place. A few sources heading into this past weekend’s trip to Notre Dame felt the Irish were trailing Texas. That’s fair. Texas got hot and were pushing extremely hard, got him on campus, and left a big impression.

One source from the Big 12 believed Notre Dame was actually out and his final two were really Texas and Texas A&M, even though the Irish were expected to be named publicly as a finalist. That source believed he wanted one of the two Texas schools, but the Aggies weren’t all that interested. Now, I’ve got multiple sources telling me Notre Dame made a big move and some believe the Irish are now slightly ahead of Texas. I’m also told the Longhorns staff is optimistic and they feel good, but not nearly as good as before this past weekend’s trip to South Bend.

In the end, it’s going to be hard for Osafo-Mensah to pass on staying home and playing for the Longhorns. Familiarity, distance, friendships, all of that sits in Texas’ favor. However, this young man gets what Notre Dame is about and his parents are fully on board as well. The Irish coaching staff was tremendous this past weekend and after talking with Osafo-Mensah, it’s clear that they did every possible thing to try and land him. If he commits elsewhere, no blame should be put on Notre Dame’s staff. It just didn’t work out.

That said, I do know that Osafo-Mensah was saying all of the right things, all weekend long, to people connected with the Notre Dame football program. That hasn’t always been the case. Most believe he isn’t the type to just tell people what they want to hear. That bodes well for the Irish, but at the same time, one visit to Texas could change it all. Getting the last crack is key for the Longhorns. To be completely honest, nobody knows what Osafo-Mensah will do. People can speculate, but nobody truly knows yet. Silent commitments happen all the time. In this case, I truly believe that the 6-4, 227-pounder hasn’t made one yet and is still considering his two finalists — Notre Dame and Texas.

Damn he is hedging bad. Pick a fucking side pansy 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fud said:

Maybe he and his parents aren't telling the lake Travis mafia because it would spread like wildfire, but he told Ohio State that he's going there, and it's obvious he told his buddy Higgins as well

Maybe we knock this OV out of the park and get him to change his mind and delay, but I doubt it. A great season overall, especially offensively, could potentially change his mind. We'll see. 

Nah, thats not what happened. He didnt tell Higgins anything. He didnt commit to OSU. 

41 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So now we've had one report that Leal wrecked shit all game long against LT, and one report that he took plays off. Don't ever change, shaggy surly.

Its not that conflicting. He was disruptive but he also took plays off when he got tired.