Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I think you're too close on this one, man. 

i am as close as it gets but if i am wrong it wont be because of that. it will be that Wilson didnt see what he needed to see from Texas. i think he will see what he needs and i think herman will be able to offset the gains OSU made. 

If Wilson commits based on what he sees from a vanilla offense featuring a hodge-podge of 1s and 2s plus a makeshift offensive line on a possibly rainy night with a wet field, he will have either bamboozled nearly the entire recruiting industry, or Tim Beck will have called the game of his life.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

If Wilson commits based on what he sees from a vanilla offense featuring a hodge-podge of 1s and 2s plus a makeshift offensive line on a possibly rainy night with a wet field, he will have either bamboozled nearly the entire recruiting industry, or Tim Beck will have called the game of his life.

i dont understand what you are saying but if you are saying that the recruiting industry doesnt regularly overreact when a recruit has a good visit then i dont know what to tell you. they get it wrong all of the time. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I watched Ohio State's Spring game and Tater was not exactly Joe Montana.  

32 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont understand what you are saying but if you are saying that the recruiting industry doesnt regularly overreact when a recruit has a good visit then i dont know what to tell you. they get it wrong all of the time. 

I suppose you're right, given what just transpired with Leal.

But even going off your info and what GW has said himself, if his decision comes down to our offense showing promise during the spring game, that still sounds like a tall order given the various obstacles they're going up against this Saturday. We shall see.

Edited by Machinator

28 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I watched Ohio State's Spring game and Tater was not exactly Joe Montana.  

Sure, but Ohio State has a lot less to prove given that they've been regularly competing for championships in the past 5 years and their offensive numbers completely outclass ours, even in their Tim Beck years.

Call the Wolf.  Y’all bitch asses need to chill the fuck out.  Member when we had the number 3 class in the nation.  Member when Herman mocked the Missouri QB?  Member when we didn’t have Elliot and Malik and still fucked them up?  Member when prison got ejected for a LEGAL hit?  Chill the fuck out!  Wolf coming directly!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

I think the point, he, myself, and others have made is that the likelihood of us looking like anything other than a pile of shit on offense in this Spring game is unlikely. Very unlikely. Literally every 9.95 dingleberry has said as much, it's the one thing they're consistent on across sites. And as he said, the reason for that is a shitty makeshift line, a bad playcaller, a potentially rainy and wet field, etc. You keep saying "he's all texas if they show him something" but the thing you're asking them to show has about as much likelihood of being seen as Rosie O'Donnel at Le Bare while eating a fucking salad. In short, he's not coming here.

Also, saying Ohio State looked mediocre in their spring game is a stupid, stupid defense. Like it or not, Urban has a long and storied history of offensive success. We've looked putrid for years, as recently as last. Guess what, he doesn't have to sell his resume.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think the point, he, myself, and others have made is that the likelihood of us looking like anything other than a pile of shit on offense in this Spring game is unlikely. Very unlikely. Literally every 9.95 dingleberry has said as much, it's the one thing they're consistent on across sites. And as he said, the reason for that is a shitty makeshift line, a bad playcaller, a potentially rainy and wet field, etc. You keep saying "he's all texas if they show him something" but the thing you're asking them to show has about as much likelihood of being seen as Rosie O'Donnel at Le Bare while eating a fucking salad. In short, he's not coming here.

Also, saying Ohio State looked mediocre in their spring game is a stupid, stupid defense. Like it or not, Urban has a long and storied history of offensive success. We've looked putrid for years, as recently as last. Guess what, he doesn't have to sell his resume.

Tom Herman won't let the offense look like shit on Saturday. Our offense looked pretty solid during last year's Spring game, he knows what's at stake and will make things happen.

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

i dont think the offense on the field has to look like the second coming of the Rams' Greatest Show on Earth. i think Herman has to be able to sell a vision of the future: an improved line, improved QB play through a Jr Sam and Rising thereafter, an improved run game (Ingram, Cain, Evans), and a shitload of other great receivers. If he can't do that, we are fucked with Wilson and every other top offensive talent coming to visit. But if he can....

27 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Tom Herman won't let the offense look like shit on Saturday. Our offense looked pretty solid during last year's Spring game, he knows what's at stake and will make things happen.

Ya.  So something like this until Jones has enough of it.

source.gif

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Herman to Orlando:  "Hey Todd, could you guys maybe take a dive for us in the Spring Game?"

Orlando to Herman: “Gotta play to your strengths Tom. For example, take a girl with large tits and a flat ass. She doesn’t do her herself or her ass any favors by hiding those titties in an effort to make her ass look better.”

Herman to Orlando: “ Are you saying your defense is the tits and Beck’s offense is ass?”

Edited by Casual Encounter
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Orlando to Herman: “Gotta play to your strengths Tom. For example, take a girl with large tits and a flat ass. She doesn’t do her herself or her ass any favors by hiding those titties in an effort to make her ass look better.”

Herman to Orlando: “ Are you saying your defense is the tits and Becks offense is ass?”

Alls I'm saying is for recruiting sake, maybe we hide the titties during the Spring Game. 

12 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Call the Wolf.  Y’all bitch asses need to chill the fuck out.  Member when we had the number 3 class in the nation.  Member when Herman mocked the Missouri QB?  Member when we didn’t have Elliot and Malik and still fucked them up?  Member when prison got ejected for a LEGAL hit?  Chill the fuck out!  Wolf coming directly!

Needs to be played loud. In the stadium.

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Alls I'm saying is for recruiting sake, maybe we hide the titties during the Spring Game. 

If we're gonna be famous for wimminz romancing each other, maybe we oughta let the 1st team defense line up against the 2nd team defense, and just show nothin' but titties during the Spring Game.

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's told everyone that he wants to wait until after the season to commit, but this is his third trip this semester already. I could see him changing his timeline. 

He's the second best TE prospect in the state after Cupp, imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB says Jake Smith could make a decision in June.

That Javonne Shepherd visit to College Station is one to watch. 

With Shepherd taking a visit to ag Friday they will be pushing hard for a commitment to keep him from the spring game. 

Edited by Coach pop a bitch

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Where does UT go from here at DL?

Lets get it out of the way... does DeMarvin Leal completely shut it down? -- Hookem757

EJ: I don’t think this one is over. Leal’s commitment to the Aggies came as a surprised to everyone — from pundits to coaches. Look, Leal has always loved Texas A&M and felt at home there. But Texas has always been high on his mind as well and if it were up to his mother, I have reason to believe Leal would be committed to UT. With that out in the open, Texas is going to work on Leal’s mother and will push to get them on campus in coming months. Of course, A&M has a strict no visit policy, so it will be interesting to see how this one shakes out.

Mike: You're working at a deficit when recruiting a committed player, but I don't think it's completely over. I think Texas has Leal's mom as a potential advocate, and his hometown is in close proximity to Austin. Maybe this turns into a Ron Tatum situation. Regardless, Texas will need to continue to battle, and I feel good about their chances if they can get him back on campus for an OV.

With DeMarvin Leal out of the picture, who are some other prospects Texas can and or should look at now? -- mgrado71

EJ: Again, Texas is going to continue to push for Leal as well as its offered targets. Leal is the best prospect in the state, in my opinion, so it will be hard to find a prospect like him. But I think Texas should take a hard look at Taurean Carter this spring. He holds a handful of P5 offers and impressed me in-game last year. Xavier Ross at Cedar Hill impressed me last spring and has visited Texas. He’s another guy I like in the interior.

Mike: I'll put in another vote for Mansfield Legacy DL Taurean Carter. He's a guy I really loved when I went to go see Jalen Catalon in action last year. If Texas is looking for a more traditional tackle candidate, Carl Williams from Lufkin could be a candidate. If I were them, I'd also check in with Oklahoma commit Kori Roberson from Manvel to see if he would listen.

Let’s talk edge rushers/B-Backers. Who do you think Texas has the best chance to land here — Jermaine Johnson, Rian Davis, or someone else? Does Texas offer someone like Peter Mpagi or Shemar Pearl? What about Steven Parker? -- Racer X

EJ: Both Johnson and Davis plan to visit Texas this summer. I think Texas is certainly in the mix with Johnson, but the Longhorns have a better shot at landing Davis, who played his high school ball in the Houston-area last season. Davis has been very vocal about his interest in UT since notching the offer, and I’m told he’s very open to returning to the Lone Star State for college. With that said, I could still see Texas offering Mpagi or Pearl. Both are probably spring eval guys. I love Parker and think he’ll be a monster at the next level. But he seems pretty solid with Texas Tech.

Mike: Davis seems like the most likely guy in the OOS group. Having seen Parker, Mpagi and Pearl in the offseason, I think all guys bring some intriguing skills to the table. I could see them offering Parker but further evaluating Pearl and Mpagi throughout the fall season.

Can Texas work some Anthony Cook magic with Garrett Wilson on the OV or is this one over? -- Hookem4life1246

EJ: From everything we have been able to gather, Ohio State holds the edge for Wilson going into the weekend. And it’s not just a slight lead. The Buckeyes truly knocked it out of the park on their official visit, and Wilson has plenty of ties to the state of Ohio, where he actually grew up. Texas needs to roll out the burnt orange carpet and put together one hell of a weekend. To put it into perspective, I would say Texas is down by 12 with five minutes to go.

Mike: It's going to be very tough. Wilson already seems to have some reservations about the Texas offense, and his visit to Columbus couldn't have gone better from all accounts. Texas excels at setting up unique visits, so there's always a chance. One source I talked with did tell me he thought Texas would be in it until NSD regardless of the decision.

Haven't really heard Roschon Johnson's name be mentioned at any camps or events, does he just not attend or is he not invited? Would be nice to have him at some of these events recruiting for us. -- TrueHookem

EJ: Johnson is invited but doesn’t really do them — he was at The Opening Dallas last year and Future 50 in Florida this year — and doesn’t compete in club 7v7. Johnson plays out in Southeast Texas and doesn’t have many personal connections to other recruits. He is quiet by nature and isn’t very proactive on social media. It’s just his personality. I don’t think he’s going to be a true vocal leader for this class, but he does recruits when he’s on campus for visits. And he’ll be back for the spring game, which is obviously shaping up to be a huge recruiting event.

Mike: Johnson is more of a behind the scenes guy. I don't know how much stock I put in to having guys at camps, but this is where Texas lacks some in the current class. De'Gabriel Floyd is doing what he can from California, but Jordan Whittington, who has been dealing with an injury, T'Vondre Sweat and Roschon Johsnon haven't attended anything on the spring camp circuit.

What happened to Texas' momentum? Seemed like there was plenty of it but now… not so much. -- TimmyLonghorn21

EJ: Oklahoma obviously built a ton of momentum on its big recruiting weekend with three state of Texas commits, but it was pretty much mapped out that way as those had been in the works for a while. Texas A&M did a fantastic job with its weekend as evidenced by the Leal shocker. Look, it’s not time to panic. It’s April. Texas should get back some momentum this weekend, and I think May will be a big month on the trail.

Mike: Oklahoma does a great job under Lincoln Riley of orchestrating these big recruiting weekends and triggering announcements to build momentum. It makes for an exciting atmosphere on campus and can often start a chain reaction. The Longhorns are preparing for upcoming visits, and they planned a relatively quiet week. Other schools capitalized, but as EJ said, it isn't time to panic.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"What happened to Texas' momentum? Seemed like there was plenty of it but now… not so much. -- TimmyLonghorn21"

Right after a weekend where our two biggest rivals had spring games and we didn't host anyone intentionally. Idiots.

I think he is referring to the fact that Wilson and Leal were supposed to be Texas bound. We also had a nice fansite narrative mocking A&M’s “fauxmentum” when in reality they were building momentum. 

We have real recruiting compeition now and it is probably not going to get any easier unless we start winning. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think he is referring to the fact that Wilson and Leal were supposed to be Texas bound. We also had a nice fansite narrative mocking A&M’s “fauxmentum” when in reality they were building momentum. 

Could you let me know what momentum is, when it starts, how it trends, and the exact moment at which it ends and when it is regained?

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We have real recruiting compeition now and it is probably not going to get any easier unless we start winning. 

Hey what's up timmylonghorn21 

Could you let me know what momentum is, when it starts, how it trends, and the exact moment at which it ends and when it is regained?

Momentum equals mass times velocity. It is a vector so it has both magnitude and direction. It starts as soon as mass and velocity are both nonzero. It trends in the direction of acceleration which is the derivative of velocity with respect to time. The exact moment it ends is when mass or velocity become zero. It is regained when both mass and velocity are nonzero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1