UTRGV @ Texas

Levi

1 minute ago, October sky said:

I have seen some bad calls in my day, but that might be the worst! How on earth could they say he swung at that.

I think they were pissed that that little dude threw a disrespectful hissy fit at the original call so they decided to punish him. 

Just now, markstanco said:
1 minute ago, Wishbone said:
It can hit you in the face and still be a strike if you swing and miss.

He didn't come close to swinging. Not watching I take it?

You are correct. Apparently he didn’t make an effort to move out of the way is the way the umps saw it. Plus they were cold and wanted to go home.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

I think they were pissed that that little dude threw a disrespectful hissy fit at the original call so they decided to punish him. 

thats the most baseball-like reason to throw someone out, so its probably true. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok that makes sense then. Seems a bit draconian, I would at least count it as equivalent of a foul ball.

Ah well.

No. You don’t have to try to get out of the way. You just can’t move into the ball. 

I think that knee flex was just natural movement of starting and stopping his swing, but the umpire needed a hot toddy so he called it a strike. 

In MLB, for it to be a HPB, you have to not be swinging at it, it has to be out of the zone, and you either have to try to avoid it or you have no opportunity to avoid it.  See rule 5.05b.  

The last part is very rarely called.  Still, if that's what blue called, it should have been called a ball, as the ball was not in the strike zone.  Bizarre ending.

Nice to see another come from behind win though.  

Edited by bschoolprof

Here's the official NCAA rule:

When hit by a pitched ball at which the individual is not attempting to strike, the ball is immediately dead; 1) A batter may not make a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch, regardless of the location of the pitch. He must also avoid being hit whenever possible, unless the pitch is within the batter's box occupied by the batter. If the batter's action is deemed intentional, then: a) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or if the batter moves to intentionally get hit or freezes to allow a pitch that is not within the batter's box to hit him, the ball is dead, it shall be called a strike and the batter is not awarded first base. b) If the ball is within the batter's box occupied by the batter and the batter makes no movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch, the batter is awarded first base. In other words, a batter who freezes inside the batter's box and who is hit by the pitch shall be awarded first base.

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No. You don’t have to try to get out of the way. You just can’t move into the ball. 

I think that knee flex was just natural movement of starting and stopping his swing, but the umpire needed a hot toddy so he called it a strike. 

You actually do have to try to avoid getting hit. After reading your post I looked it up and it clearly states no effort to avoid is on equal terms with moving into. Not going to post it here, on my phone, but I googled it and found a write up from “Inside Pitch” that addresses all the HBP rules.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Here's the official NCAA rule:

When hit by a pitched ball at which the individual is not attempting to strike, the ball is immediately dead; 1) A batter may not make a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch, regardless of the location of the pitch. He must also avoid being hit whenever possible, unless the pitch is within the batter's box occupied by the batter. If the batter's action is deemed intentional, then: a) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or if the batter moves to intentionally get hit or freezes to allow a pitch that is not within the batter's box to hit him, the ball is dead, it shall be called a strike and the batter is not awarded first base. b) If the ball is within the batter's box occupied by the batter and the batter makes no movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch, the batter is awarded first base. In other words, a batter who freezes inside the batter's box and who is hit by the pitch shall be awarded first base.

The rule makes sense. Wasn’t called correctly tonight. Oh well. Time to move on.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok that makes sense then. Seems a bit draconian, I would at least count it as equivalent of a foul ball.

Ah well.

It's the same as it being a ball if the pitcher does not throw by the time allotted by the pitch-clock.