we all take it up the ass when we buy eyewear

Gil Bang

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what does that even mean?  by what criteria is he/she judging that? 

I took it as meaning that she can literally see how it healed or something like that. I’d wake her up to ask for clarification, but I’m smarter than that. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

18 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I took it as meaning that she can literally see how it healed or something like that. I’d wake her up to ask for clarification, but I’m smarter than that. 

interesting, i was told there was no way to judge that other than by how well i can see.  thanks, mann eye.

I had a pretty bad case of astigmatism. I had a choice of near, far or one eye each way. I chose far. Anything beyond 3' is in perfect focus. Inside of that I need +1.5 readers. It can be a problem, like when I'm driving and need to glance at the dash, phone, etc. I wear stick on readers on my sunglasses and that solves daytime driving. Keep my readers in my collar or pocket the rest of the time. 

8 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I saw a movie one time where this smoking hot optometrist chick (who had huge tits) was giving this guy an eye exam. Well...one thing leads to another and the next thing you know, he's giving her a pelvic exam, if you know what I mean.

i dont.  explain

8 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I saw a movie one time where this smoking hot optometrist chick (who had huge tits) was giving this guy an eye exam. Well...one thing leads to another and the next thing you know, he's giving her a pelvic exam, if you know what I mean.

i dont.  explain

I'm seeing Warby Parker and other online retailers opening up storefronts and pop-ups.  

Couldn't some of these online powerhouses fashion together some sort of Apple Genius Bar model?  When you have a complex prescription or really need the height of your frames/lenses to be just right or nose fit isn't working quite right---you book a quick 15 or 30 minute appt. at one of their stores and in each market, these aggregated non-optometry brands have a couple of floating optical technicians who pop into the place for a few hours a day and work with folks who have specific vision needs that can't be met with out-of-the-box delivery frames.  This tech is paid by hourly contract by the frames brands and the consumer is not out of pocket to work with them.  Or if they are, it could be covered by insurance.  I think that solves both ends of the spectrum---people do benefit from high touch service you get an DO dispensary.  And they are also tired of buying expensive glasses there because the practice uses that margin to offset the costs of the practice that are less lucrative.  

This model is working for our bank right now.  I don't need 4 branches each staffed with 1 mortgage guy, 1 SBA guy, 1 personal lines guy, 1 treasury management guy, etc.  I need 1 of each of those to just float around from branch to branch handling that day's needs based on pre-booked models.  

Very surprised how Warby Parker became successful.  Their pricing barely undercuts the traditional retail chains.  And the subjective quality of their frames, as I've handled them in the Dallas "Classroom", is really quite shoddy.

Guess it's just a catchy name with the shiny veneer of a new-age business

24 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Goggles4u.com is even cheaper than Zenni, and I can say personally that their $25 glasses are fine for people with astigmatism and high index prescriptions. Never tried multifocals, but my “complex” prescription is fine.

Come with a nice hard-sided case, too  

i bought 6 pairs of glasses/sunglasses from them last year just to have around.  their shipping time is ridiculous, like 3 weeks.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I had a pretty bad case of astigmatism. I had a choice of near, far or one eye each way. I chose far. Anything beyond 3' is in perfect focus. Inside of that I need +1.5 readers. It can be a problem, like when I'm driving and need to glance at the dash, phone, etc. I wear stick on readers on my sunglasses and that solves daytime driving. Keep my readers in my collar or pocket the rest of the time. 

While I don't have astigmatism, I do need similar strength readers.  A few year ago I finally broke down and got progressives because I was tired of constantly taking my readers on and off or wearing them far down on my nose like an old man who is too cheap to get a new pair of glasses.  I pretty much wear them all the time now which I don't like.  I've been told that I am not a candidate for lasik as that procedure can't really fix what I have. 

Anybody else picturing Hate on his back porch putting on his readers to setup his Dead playlist then sliding them off to take a  hit and a sip of bourbon.  Then he wants a different version of “shakedown street” so he has to put his readers back on.  Then he tells himself that marijuana is supposed to be good for some kinda eye problems

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

interesting, i was told there was no way to judge that other than by how well i can see.  thanks, mann eye.

According to my wife, her optometrist said that she can hardly tell that it was done.because the lines (scars) are barely visible. I’m sure following the post-op instructions had something to do with it. 

13 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Cataract surgery last month, now I need reading glasses, bought a stack of 'em (+1.75) at Amazon for $12 for 5 pairs.  Fuck glasses.

Literally, yes, literally, not figuratively, literally every room in my house has a pair of reading glasses in them. Both shitters, kitchen, bedroom, every end table in the living room has a pair on them, kid's bedroom (she knows if she moves them, i won't read to her). Great system until the wife "cleans the house" and they all end up in a kitchen drawer.

Anybody else picturing Hate on his back porch putting on his readers to setup his Dead playlist then sliding them off to take a  hit and a sip of bourbon.  Then he wants a different version of “shakedown street” so he has to put his readers back on.  Then he tells himself that marijuana is supposed to be good for some kinda eye problems

Well, I don’t have glaucoma and that’s all I’ll say.

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Couldn't some of these online powerhouses fashion together some sort of Apple Genius Bar model?  When you have a complex prescription or really need the height of your frames/lenses to be just right or nose fit isn't working quite right---you book a quick 15 or 30 minute appt. at one of their stores and in each market, these aggregated non-optometry brands have a couple of floating optical technicians who pop into the place for a few hours a day and work with folks who have specific vision needs that can't be met with out-of-the-box delivery frames.  This tech is paid by hourly contract by the frames brands and the consumer is not out of pocket to work with them.  Or if they are, it could be covered by insurance.  I think that solves both ends of the spectrum---people do benefit from high touch service you get an DO dispensary.  And they are also tired of buying expensive glasses there because the practice uses that margin to offset the costs of the practice that are less lucrative. 

Yes and no. There are several considerations here:

1. An optometrist or an ophthalmologist must write the glasses prescription. The hypothetical brick and mortar glasses shop can't legally hire technicians to fill this role. Walmart, Costco, Target, etc. hire optometrists to do walk-in exams and provide glasses prescriptions on the spot. That could also be done by Warby Parker (and maybe some locations do) but at a minimum they would need to have a part-time optometrist available.

2. Some states require certified opticians to dispense glasses, meaning the person who physically orders and hands you the glasses has some kind of standardized training to hopefully ensure they know what they are doing. Unfortunately, many states, including Texas, do not require this. That means the person doing your glasses could be a high school kid that was hired last week by Walmart, or it could be someone with years of experience. It's a crapshoot. There are still certified opticians in Texas but they are not required. If a store is aiming for a low cost business model, they are much less likely to voluntarily employ someone with this level of training. So once again, you may get lucky with your result, but you may not. Again, please do not roll the dice on this if your young child needs glasses.

3. In addition to function, there is an undeniable element of style for glasses. If style doesn't matter to someone, then they can automatically save money with non-brand name frames and kuddos to them. If a new brick and mortar store succeeds in selling stylish glasses at low cost, they will eventually be in higher demand due to their product, and they will inevitably charge more money. That's just how the fashion industry and capitalism work. Ralph Lauren could probably charge Target prices for their clothes, but why should they when people are willing to pay Ralph Lauren prices?

In some ways, what you describe exists, just not in the ideal sense you've described. There are chains like America's Best that have optometrists available to do exams, then sell low cost glasses. You don't necessarily get the trendiest frame or the best lenses, but they may still work great for many people. This all boils down to a particular person's vision needs, style preferences, and budget.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

. Walmart, Costco, Target, etc. hire optometrists to do walk-in exams and provide glasses prescriptions on the spot. That could also be done by Warby Parker (and maybe some locations do) but at a minimum they would need to have a part-time optom

those optometrists own their own private practices.  they lease space from target/walmart/costco.

Totally agree about meeting a very high level of care with regard to kids. 

I have it good authority the TOA Sees the writing on the wall with regard to how to insert themselves into the online frame market vertical.  

On 4/3/2019 at 3:22 PM, slorch said:

$400 for Oakley stabdard prescription with some alleged scratch protection and supposedly lighter lenses. With vision insurance  

They look at me when I pay out like I am stealing/ getting one helliva deal. 

I’m not feeling it...

Yeah I finally broke down and got some Rx shades last fall, with the supposed scratch protection. Had 'em about 2 months before a bad mystery scratch ruined em. Easiest eyewear scratch I've ever had. $200 down the drain. Never dropped them & I'm very careful & take care of my eyewear, even non-Rx stuff. Have zero idea how the scratch got there at all. Must be some fucking soft lenses.

I have Maui Jim frames that I'd love to have Rx lenses fitted into, but they want a fucking fortune, something like $6-800, and they wouldn't even be glass. I want glass for better scratch resistance, but it seems hardly anyone still makes glass Rx lenses. Apparently Costa does, but their also expensive AF and only available with a few frames. Their frames don't give me much of a warm, fuzzy feeling of "high quality and durability", either. 

I guess I'm just gonna end up going the cheapest route again with frames & lenses from Costco & try not to fucking scratch 'em. FML.

Makes my decision to get LASIK back in 2005 look pretty good.

I'm not a good Lasik candidate, or I'd be doing that shit asap. So sick of fucking glasses. If I get Lasik, I'd have to get one eye done for near vision and one for far, so fuck that. Maybe cataract surgery is in my future...

Edited by wood

16 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

So I'll relate an interesting personal experience here, since it seems germane. I bought several pair of these sunglasses: https://www.bing.com/search?q=Gregory+peck+sunglasses&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

Except I bought them here: https://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/search.do?act=search&sus=&searchkey=+Gregory+Peck+sunglasses&catalog=#pusearch1812

Also I got the surgery so I don't need the glasses anymore. I did the cost benefit, plus I get ALL the chics now, it's amazing.

I bought some so-called 'Salomon' trail running shoes from DHGate once. They pos knockoffs. 

19 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Cataract surgery last month, now I need reading glasses, bought a stack of 'em (+1.75) at Amazon for $12 for 5 pairs.  Fuck glasses.

You had lens replacement, right? Did they fuck it up?

19 minutes ago, wood said:

You had lens replacement, right? Did they fuck it up?

Far from it.  It's exactly what happens.  Unlike lasik, cataract surgery is not guaranteed to restore you to 20/20.  It's done because you lose a lot of vision due to cataracts (clouding or marring of the natural lens).  Most insurance only covers the lenses that restore far vision, and 95% of the time you get to 20/20.  But it never guarantees close up vision (like the majority of current lasik today, still).  However, you can pay from $2,000-$5,000 per eye to have a higher tech lens implanted which does for many people correct all vision.

However in my case, I also had severe astigmatism.  But insurance usually doesn't cover that, either.  They pay for the basic "clean" lens; almost never the high-tech one.  My astigmatism would have prevented me from seeing 20/20 anyway for far objects, so I had to pay $1K per eye to get them to do the small microincision into the cornea (called Limbal Relaxing Incisions, or LRI).  This enabled me to get to 20/20 with distance - frankly a pretty impressive feat by the surgeon considering my astigmatism and terrible vision in my "going downhill fast" right eye.  As it was, my eye wasn't a candidate for the all-corrective lens anyway due to the astigmatism and some other features.

So no, just getting your lenses replaced isn't anywhere a 100% guarantee of all-corrected vision.  I know several people who need a thin pair of glasses after cataract surgery, and this is not unusual at all.  It cost me $2K out of pocket to get me to 20/20 with the conventional lenses - the best option I could get.

I'll probably get a pair of progressives (which go from correcting my reading/near object vision) to "nothing" (since I now see 20/20 far away for the first time in over 50 years).  I am more than ecstatic at the outcome for myself, and again, there was no better option for me.. I'm corrected as well as I can be, and will never need lasik.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Far from it.  It's exactly what happens.  Unlike lasik, cataract surgery is not guaranteed to restore you to 20/20.  It's done because you lose a lot of vision due to cataracts (clouding or marring of the natural lens).  Most insurance only covers the lenses that restore far vision, and 95% of the time you get to 20/20.  But it never guarantees close up vision (like the majority of current lasik today, still).  However, you can pay from $2,000-$5,000 per eye to have a higher tech lens implanted which does for many people correct all vision.

However in my case, I also had severe astigmatism.  But insurance usually doesn't cover that, either.  They pay for the basic "clean" lens; almost never the high-tech one.  My astigmatism would have prevented me from seeing 20/20 anyway for far objects, so I had to pay $1K per eye to get them to do the small microincision into the cornea (called Limbal Relaxing Incisions, or LRI).  This enabled me to get to 20/20 with distance - frankly a pretty impressive feat by the surgeon considering my astigmatism and terrible vision in my "going downhill fast" right eye.  As it was, my eye wasn't a candidate for the all-corrective lens anyway due to the astigmatism and some other features.

So no, just getting your lenses replaced isn't anywhere a 100% guarantee of all-corrected vision.  I know several people who need a thin pair of glasses after cataract surgery, and this is not unusual at all.  It cost me $2K out of pocket to get me to 20/20 with the conventional lenses - the best option I could get.

I'll probably get a pair of progressives (which go from correcting my reading/near object vision) to "nothing" (since I now see 20/20 far away for the first time in over 50 years).  I am more than ecstatic at the outcome for myself, and again, there was no better option for me.. I'm corrected as well as I can be, and will never need lasik.

Thanks surly brother. Great info,. Congrats on the outcome & your 'new eyes'!

Edited by wood

I’m guessing this is a sarcastic response to my market commentary.  If it’s not: it soon will be.  Think bout the prime real estate that optometrists pay for.  

4 hours ago, tjhooker said:

There are optometry practices like this already.  Believe me on this one.  

Here is one I have been in that is just like this.

RetailOne_VisionSource4.jpg

That looks  just like Vision Works at Barton Creek Mall.

14 hours ago, tjhooker said:

You get what you pay for.  Especially, do not do this if you are in a set of progressives.  Online retailers you don't get any of the services or expertise following your prescription or your fitting.  Glasses aren't just get a Rx and walk out the door type of thing.  Opens your eye sight to a lot of risk. 

giphy.gif

On 4/3/2019 at 11:29 PM, wild_turkey said:

Regarding the actual quality of the optics, you often get what you pay for. If you have a simple prescription, especially if you are not yet to the point of needing bifocals, then you can probably use Warby Parker or other online retailers without a noticeable difference. If you have a complex prescription or say you want a progressive bifocal or you simply have a strange face, then it’s a bit of a crapshoot. When you order online, no one is checking your PD, checking the position of the optical centers, checking the bifocal height and position, checking for prism when needed, looking at the nosepieces and temples for correct fit, etc. You type in your prescription and you get what they send you. When you buy through a local optical shop, especially one with a certified optician, you are getting a higher level of service from someone who actually cares about your glasses being correct for you.

If I have problems with my Zenni glasses, my optometrist will check them for free. If there's an issue, Zenni has an easy return policy that I have used more than once.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:03 PM, gsoda3 said:

After insurance I just paid $5 total for my oldest's glasses. Warby Parker.

I had heard the name for a year before i knew what that place was.  Great deal.  I was shocked when i saw the total price for frames AND lens was 95$.  I was looking for the catch.  Everyone else, not modeled like these guys, can f themselves.  

Think about the curious real estate gambit of sunglasses.  Your optometry practice has 10% of its square footage devoted to sunglass frames.  Your Sunglass Hut has 90% of its square footage devoted to sunglass frames.  Yet both charge about the same amount.  Admittedly, both have wildly different customer experiences and expertise,  But both are typically in ideal locations and spend a lot to get you in the door.  And both have similar margins/wholesale arrangements.  Your retail purchase subsidizes the ability of the D.O. practice to treat 80 year olds for pennies on the dollar.  And at Sunglass Hut, you're paying for 4 people that were too dumb to get jobs at Abercrombie to stand around the mall and up-sell you on Maui Jim's.  Yet, the approach to the same sale is wildly different but results in about the same revenue per square foot.  

12 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I had heard the name for a year before i knew what that place was.  Great deal.  I was shocked when i saw the total price for frames AND lens was 95$.  I was looking for the catch.  Everyone else, not modeled like these guys, can f themselves.  

is this supposed to be $59? Is the whole thing backwards?

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Your retail purchase subsidizes the ability of the D.O. practice to treat 80 year olds for pennies on the dollar.

Just to clarify because it's an easy mistake to make and I've seen it multiple times in this thread:

O.D. = optometrist (went to undergrad followed by optometry school, no residency typically, although some do have residency of sorts these days)

D.O. = doctor of osteopathic medicine (can be almost any medical specialty, but they went to medical school and residency)

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents. I buy from Eyebuydirect.com. Very stylish glasses that fit well. In the past I always bought Ray Ban glasses from Target Optical and they always cost $250 to $300. Now I spend $25 to $50 for a pair with the high end scratch resistant polarized lenses. If I don't really like the look of them, I put the in the drawer and store them because I can buy ten pairs for the same price as one at the retail brick and mortar. I still get an annual check up from one of the $49 optical places and they tell me my prescription and P.D. that I use to get an accurate online prescription. Brick and mortar is a total ripoff.