2017-18 Rockets Thread

The Tower

53 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Which is weird because I'm sure we as fans all hated CP3 the clipper.

I still hate him but you guys have no choice

This will sound like post-hoc fanboyism, but no, I honestly didn't. Even when he was on the clippers, I liked him. I hated the clippers, but I remember watching him play and secretly wishing he was on our team. Hell, I used to even crack up at his Cliff Paul commercials. He's always been one of my favorite players, just not someone I could ever root for because he wore the wrong colors.

When I saw the headlines about him coming to Houston in the offseason, I was floored. Never thought he'd ever come here. But yeah, I was a fan since before he was in Houston.

D'Antoni is nowhere in the same league as Phil Jackson coaching wise. I would have expected to see a little more urgency from D'Antoni given that the Warriors will close out tonight. I'm not sure if Phil Jackson would have allowed a 14 point swing to take place in a close out playoff game at home without calling time out sooner.
D'Antoni never had Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kobe, Shaq, Horry, etc...

Phil was great at choosing jobs where there were great players.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I look forward to seeing you root for the Rockets versus the Warriors, MNLonghorn.

I'm here for you! I thought my bad luck was going to haunt you after Utah won in Houston but looks like we should be alright

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Are you kidding? I take great pleasure and enjoyment seeing JVG make Mark Jackson look like the royal dumbass that he is at every opportunity. To me, it's comedy gold.

Lol he does sometimes bluntly disagree with him, pretty harsh. If Mark could get away from those three or four things he repeats every game he would be more tolerable. I actually like the momma there goes that man now because I can rely on that after a dunk going to commercial break. 

Houston can play and win when not shooting the 3 ball well with CP3 hitting the mid range and our defense has massively improved(when we try). 

It's going to be a tough series, i'm gonna need to see us actually win the series before I believe. Been burnt by Houston sports wayyyy to many times and Astros breakiung through made me a believer again and now the Rockets will have to do the same. I think warriors in 7 just because of all the experience they have on the floor.

8 hours ago, Snacks said:

D'Antoni never had Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kobe, Shaq, Horry, etc...

Phil was great at choosing jobs where there were great players.

Yeah, but Jerry Sloan and George Karl had great players and never won shit.

Jackson was a great coach.  He was especially adept at getting difficult personalities to work together, which cannot be overstated in the ego factory of the NBA.  

Not to say that all of the success his teams had was due to him, but we also can't say that none of it was due to him and any other coach would have had the same success.  Jerry Sloan doesn't win 11 rings with Jackson's rosters and Jackson doesn't win 0 with Sloan's rosters.

Also Phil didn't just choose the bulls he built the bulls too, he did choose the Lakers but who wouldn't want to coach shaq and kobe in the early 00's?

Also, I love the mav and spurs haters that pick warriors in 5, they clearly haven't watched the rockets this season to think we will lose in 5. love the tears from two franchises that are about to wander the desert of shit teams.

17 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Also Phil didn't just choose the bulls he built the bulls too, he did choose the Lakers but who wouldn't want to coach shaq and kobe in the early 00's?

Not quite...  Phil joined after Pippen and Jordan were already in place, Grant, Paxson, Cartwright, Hodges, were there too.  They had finished 52-35 and then had a bit of a down year at 47-35 but made the conference finals the year before he came and lost to a better Pistons team.  It was a good team already on it's way to being a great team.

Part of being a good coach is choosing good situations.  But Phil did not build the Bulls, not even close.

Edit:
Phil was an assistant on that team, so maybe you are saying he helped build it that way?  But it doesn't appear he had any particular say in the Pippen trade and everyone takes Jordan there (though it could be argued everyone takes him at 2 also, and they didn't)

Edited by uoftorange

2 hours ago, LebongJames said:

God damn Brothers does not like Hardens play and lets teams foul the shit out him when drives.

42 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

I thought Brothers was done for the year? Ah, oh well. Time to get real and play dirty as fuck if they aren't going to call fouls on drives.

Harden will need to adjust his game accordingly. Game 1 is a must win for the Rockets. 

Yeah, but Jerry Sloan and George Karl had great players and never won shit.
Jackson was a great coach.  He was especially adept at getting difficult personalities to work together, which cannot be overstated in the ego factory of the NBA.  
Not to say that all of the success his teams had was due to him, but we also can't say that none of it was due to him and any other coach would have had the same success.  Jerry Sloan doesn't win 11 rings with Jackson's rosters and Jackson doesn't win 0 with Sloan's rosters.
Jerry Sloan's best team would have been Phil's 4th best.
Stockton to Malone wouldn't exist had Phil coached that team, because he didn't run the pick and roll, almost ever, and he only wanted to run Triangle. Stockton would have been traded. Hornacek would have been the spot up shooter, and Utah would be searching for another wing to go with Byron what's his nuts.

Phil coached the best player of all time (Jordan) the best player at that time (Kobe), the most dominate C of the time (Shaq), the best rebounder of the era (Rodman), the first real point forward and best wing defender of the era (Pippen)...

even his "role players" were all-star level players.. Pau Gasoline was probably the 2nd best C in the league when he joined the Lakers. Horace Grant was all-defense... Steve Kerr lead the league in 3fg%

When Phil wanted Kobe traded to keep Shaq, the Lakers let Phil walk... How did he not fix that great ego wreck?

Dude was good at putting great pieces in place on the court and getting them to run the triangle...

Kobe and Shaq would have won more with Mike D'Antoni, when you think of who they had on that team (even if you take away Phil's guys like Harper and Shaw...)

I'm not saying he sucked, I'm saying I never saw him win without multiple all-time greats... which makes him just like any other coach in the NBA... he just did a better job of being around the best player in the league for the longest, so it worked out.

How many rings does he have, as a coach, without Kobe and Jordan? same as me.