2017-18 Rockets Thread

The Tower

8 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

CP3 and Bagwell dropping shit birds on TV is good stuff. Seriously, should shit even be prohibited from being said on air? On shows on FX they say fuck which surprised me.

USA was dropping f bombs in the Tupac/Biggie murder series.

20 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

This game was nowhere close to previous playoffs games in terms of giving up open looks. I'm not sure which game you were watching.

In the second half, Utah missed a lot of open threes.  I don't think that is a controversial observation. 

Edited by runthebone

6 minutes ago, runthebone said:

In the second half, Utah missed a lot of open threes.  I don't think that is a controversial observation. 

So what, the Rockets haven't shot from BTA well at all for the entirety of the playoffs, and are 1 win away from where everyone thought they would be.

Just now, Snacks said:

I'm so glad Chris Paul is here to be Point God when careless James shows up for a couple minutes. Getting Janes off the ball seems to keep him from going turnover machine. 

Clint gonna get paid. 

Morey said something to the effect that there is no price he could ask that they'd say no to.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Morey said something to the effect that there is no price he could ask that they'd say no to.

Going to be interesting. If Clint can make an all NBA team, he'll be getting a 5/30% contract, otherwise he'll be eligible for 5/25.

After Paul gets his super max deal this offseason, Clint gets his 5/25-30, the Rockets will have like 90%+ of their salary cap tied up in Harden, Paul, and Capela.

Edited by HtownHorn

54 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I'm so glad Chris Paul is here to be Point God when careless James shows up for a couple minutes. Getting Janes off the ball seems to keep him from going turnover machine. 

Clint gonna get paid. 

Agreed with all of this, but I don't think Clint will do well with most NBA offensive schemes. D'Antoni knows how to get production out of him. He is becoming a defensive force however.

Agreed with all of this, but I don't think Clint will do well with most NBA offensive schemes. D'Antoni knows how to get production out of him. He is becoming a defensive force however.
The problem is it only takes one team to give him a Max deal. Look at what Orlando did for Bismack Biyambo after he had a 25 rebound game in the playoffs. I hope they work something out with Capella before he hits the market, though it may be better to simply match whatever he gets. I also wonder if Chicago or NYK will go after him with a poison pill contract since Morey did it to them with Asik and Lin.

11 hours ago, mycox said:

Teams are going to this style of ball...  He's going to have more options than he had when he came in.  Timing is going to work out perfectly for him.

If I'm the Rockets, I lock him down before he figures out a short/mid-range game...  noticing that whatever Dream teaches him, he learns.

20 minutes ago, Snacks said:

If I'm the Rockets, I lock him down before he figures out a short/mid-range game...  noticing that whatever Dream teaches him, he learns.

The opposite of Dwight Howard, willing to learn from Dream.

The Rockets aren't losing Capela. Any team that gives him a contract will be matched by the Rockets. We own the full bird rights to Paul, Capela, and Ariza. Luc and Gerald are different, and would have to share in the MLE next year, because we don't their full bird rights.

On 4/24/2018 at 5:34 PM, HtownHorn said:

You are either a fucking retard, or posting stupid shit to reverse some jinx. You obviously haven't been watching the Rockets much in the playoffs if you are thinking they have a short bench.

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The Rockets have a set 7 man rotation. Nene, Green, and Anderson can add to it based on foul trouble and match-ups.

I guess you've come to your senses and agree with the "retard" now. 

Proud and fired up that the Rockets won both games in Utah.  Team did a great job of countering any runs by the Jazz and keeping the crowd out of it. Something was clearly wrong with Harden last night. CP3 did a great job of picking up the slack and that's what makes this team legitimate. 

Will be very interesting to see what our rotations will be vs. GS (assuming we get there, no jinx).  Typically we go the small lineup and use Anderson at the 5 vs. the Warriors.  Hope RA is fully healthy and ready to go. I don't want Nene getting minutes vs. GS. 

57 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I guess you've come to your senses and agree with the "retard" now. 

Nope, because it's not a short bench. There are 7 main rotational players, with the other 3 getting time as match-up and fouls dictate. You'd have a point if D'Antoni was only playing 7 guys.

I guess the confusion come from me saying we "shorten our rotations" and you consider that the number of players who log any minutes.  Dudes getting 5 minutes here and there are not rotational players. 

Been a lot of lopsided scores so far in Minny/Utah series, so D'Antoni's rotations haven't been as tight as in the past.  We've seen glimpses, with only 7 guys playing 10+ minutes in Game 1 vs. Utah, and 6 guys playing 30+ minutes in Game 2.

Our starters will log really heavy minutes vs. Golden State, assuming the games are tightly contested.  Gordon will get a lot of run, Luc and Anderson depending on how effective they are.  Green and Nene most likely don't play much, if at all. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

The growth of Clint Cappella has been amazing to watch. He is the perfect center for this system and his defensive growth has been the best to watch.

I bet D' Antoni gives Anderson a run against GS to see how he matches up. He might be able to sneak around more if KD has to guard him so he might be more effective in that series. It would be nice to see him come in and hit 2/3 three's off the bench. I love Green but he scares the fuck out of me and I hope they have a short leash on him if he comes out clanking, he could shoot us into a massive run and also into a massive deficit. But damn I Iove his passion for Houston.

30 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I guess the confusion come from me saying we "shorten our rotations" and you consider that the number of players who log any minutes.  Dudes getting 5 minutes here and there are not rotational players. 

No, I consider anyone playing double digit minutes to be an integral part of the rotation for that game. D'Antoni has given 5 players double digit minutes consistently off the bench. Which has allowed Harden to go from averaging 38 MPG last year to 35 this year, and Ariza from 38 to 33.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:57 AM, mycox said:

The opposite of Dwight Howard, willing to learn from Dream.

Actually, it was Dwight's willingness to learn from Dream that may have made Dwight a worse player for the Rockets.  The Rockets wanted Dwight to do what Capela does - catch lobs on PnR. Dwight wanted to post up and do the Dream Shake... Dwight learned a lot from Dream... but he was never going to be Dream offensively. He could have been great at PnR and good in the post from time to time, but he did not want to catch lobs for some reason.

21 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Proud and fired up that the Rockets won both games in Utah.  Team did a great job of countering any runs by the Jazz and keeping the crowd out of it. Something was clearly wrong with Harden last night. CP3 did a great job of picking up the slack and that's what makes this team legitimate. 

Will be very interesting to see what our rotations will be vs. GS (assuming we get there, no jinx).  Typically we go the small lineup and use Anderson at the 5 vs. the Warriors.  Hope RA is fully healthy and ready to go. I don't want Nene getting minutes vs. GS. 

21 hours ago, Teddy Tucker said:

Nene looks so much older than that one year difference from how he was looking in last years postseason. 

20 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Been a lot of lopsided scores so far in Minny/Utah series, so D'Antoni's rotations haven't been as tight as in the past.  We've seen glimpses, with only 7 guys playing 10+ minutes in Game 1 vs. Utah, and 6 guys playing 30+ minutes in Game 2.

Our starters will log really heavy minutes vs. Golden State, assuming the games are tightly contested.  Gordon will get a lot of run, Luc and Anderson depending on how effective they are.  Green and Nene most likely don't play much, if at all. 

So.... who is Ryan Anderson going to guard when he's in? He can't guard anyone in the GSW rotation.