2017-18 Rockets Thread

The Tower

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Your schtick is not funny. Upset? The Rockets had home court and were favored by FiveThirtyEight analytics (you know the same system that Morey introduced to the NBA?). And there is no guarantee the Rockets will have the best record in the league again next season. The only way D'Antoni ever gets to a Finals is if the Rockets end up getting another alpha, specifically, LeBron--the guy who has actually been the coach in Cleveland since he returned from Miami. 

Never mind we were missing one key rotational player for the entire playoffs and a HOF PG that helped you go up 3-2.

The more I think about it, Tyreke Evans, is the missing piece to this puzzle. Lebron is a pipe dream. He's staying in the East where he knows he's got almost a free ride to the finals. Evans would thrive in this system with his ability to attack the paint, shoot from distance (.356, .388, and .399 the last 3 years), rebound, and set up other players.

His 19, 5, and 5 backing up Paul, Harden, and Gordon would be huge. Plus at 29 he might want to chase a ring and sign for the MLE.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

Yea I’m upset. I admitted that already. This loss sucks.
But I’m not a dipshit that would hold the coach to an impossible standard and think he should be fired when he fails to live up to said standard.
And way to go out on a limb and say the rockets would win with lebron. Are you sure about that?

I wrote "upset" as in what you referenced a potential Rockets series win would be. I don't care how you feel about the loss one way or another. I didn't advocate firing D'Antoni. I would not have hired him in the first place. And I didn't say that the Rockets would win the Finals with LeBron (read again). I said the only way D'Antoni gets to the Finals is with LeBron. I don't see any way he takes the Rockets to the Finals otherwise.

Edited by UDontKnow

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

it's just amazing to me the reactionary posts you get when it comes to sports.

durant and the warriors stacked the deck so much in their favor on july 4th, 2016 that people were saying they'd win the next 4-5 championships and the nba was ruined.  exactly one team has given them a series since then and that team lost a HOF PG in the game that put them up 3-2 in the series.  but now we need to fire the coach, change the system because it "can't win" (which is fucking horseshit because there is 1 team in the world that can beat the rockets in a 7 game series), blah blah blah.  

the warriors are about to go destroy the cavs in 4 or 5 noncompetitive games and win another ring.  going in to the finals, they have lost 6 games combined over the last 2 postseasons, 3 of them in this series.  but yeah, lets tear everything down despite being the only team that's given them any competition.  what the fuck ever.

This. The Rockets and the Warriors will be doing this again next year and probably the year after that. They are really good.

I wrote "upset" as in what you referenced a potential Rockets series win would be.

If you can’t figure out that GS was the overwhelming favorite once CP3 went out, and that it would be considered an upset if the rockets won, there’s really no hope for you. I thought that much was obvious, but maybe not for someone like you.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

That's interesting because JVG admitted to being too stubborn in the past and actually said he'd be open to embracing the open offensive scheme. I think as a Houstonian, he'd be more invested in the team being successful. D'Antoni pretty much refused to make adjustments and baffled everyone by playing Ryan Anderson so many minutes in Game 7 when he'd hardly seen the court for meaningful minutes during the series.

JVG would have Clint Capela playing the post and benching CP3 every time he tried a behind the back pass.

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Curious where morey goes from here with the roster, he can’t risk another season with cp3 only so I’m sure he will go after someone but who after Lebron is even a realistic option? 

Bench needs to be upgraded as well.

Tyreke Evans.

9 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

it's just amazing to me the reactionary posts you get when it comes to sports.

durant and the warriors stacked the deck so much in their favor on july 4th, 2016 that people were saying they'd win the next 4-5 championships and the nba was ruined.  exactly one team has given them a series since then and that team lost a HOF PG in the game that put them up 3-2 in the series.  but now we need to fire the coach, change the system because it "can't win" (which is fucking horseshit because there is 1 team in the world that can beat the rockets in a 7 game series), blah blah blah.  

the warriors are about to go destroy the cavs in 4 or 5 noncompetitive games and win another ring.  going in to the finals, they have lost 6 games combined over the last 2 postseasons, 3 of them in this series.  but yeah, lets tear everything down despite being the only team that's given them any competition.  what the fuck ever.

The Astros won the world series and went out and got Cole, the Rockets need too add someone this off season

Gotta move Anderson, nene for sure. It’s going to be a wild off season for sure as morey knows his window shrinks every year so I bet he is super aggressive.

if he stands pat and does nothing because we would have won in his mind if we had cp3 then we will get the same result next season as this one. Harden needs another star to help him beat the warriors.

You can name it a “google thread”, but we need all those obvious decisions and indecisions in one thread just to address to it in future.

Whenever someone is going to google *Rockets - Warriors Game 7 refs” is going to come to this one.

NBA simply rigged this game. It was an obvious game-fixing by the league.

At first by forcing game 7, secondary and in much more brutal way here, to force a Warriors - Cavs finals again.

Second quarter, Rockets are leading by double-digits.

2 obvious fouls on three-pointers by Harden - 6 points

Goaltending call on Clint Capela (clean block) - 2 points added for Curry

Rockets are going to the break leading by eleven instead of twenty

Third quarter

And-one play on a three-pointer by Harden - ruled out, inbound on side - 4 points

- Curry 3PT with obvious moving screen by Looney - 3 points

- Curry 3PT with obvious moving screen by Bell - 3 points

Eric Gordon drive with a couple of guys fouling him at the rim - non-call - 2 points

That’s 22 points on decisions and non-decisions that were an unquestionable mistakes and even admitted by TV crew.

Decision and non-decisions were made by Scott Foster and Mike Callahan

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/game-7-22-point-swing-by-refs-in-favour-of-golden-state-warriors.291341/

So glad I skipped watching this garbage.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/07/14/disgraced-former-nba-referee-tim-donaghy-phone-calls-to-second-ref-raise.html

The records show Donaghy placed 134 calls to referee Scott Foster — more than the 126 calls Donaghy made to his bookie — between October 2006 and April 2007, the period during which he has confessed to either betting on games or passing on game information to gamblers. 

Lol he had to get the outcomes before he made the bets.

Another potential addition would be Sergio Llull. Might be worth it to send Harden and Paul over there to convince him he's the missing piece to the championship team. The Rockets will have about $5.1M they can give him from luxury tax MLE. Of course, giving it all to him, means that Mbah a Moute and Green would have to sign for vet min contracts again.

The only other way to make it work would be detonating the roster, which shouldn't be overlooked either, and start with Harden, Paul, Capela, and ???? with the rest of the roster being vet min guys.

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

Lots of flopping in that vid

Lol where? And this coming from a mavs fan who’s entire fan base went ape shit about d-wade getting special treatment in the finals they lost. But that was different right?

first clip of that video is bell running his body into harden, you have to give the offensive player room to come down or we will have blown out knees and ankles like zaza pulled. Harden had a and one that was called off in the most obvious call ever. You can’t change the way the game is called from regular season to game 7 of the wcf. If it’s a foul for over 100 games then it is last night. 

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol where? And this coming from a mavs fan who’s entire fan base went ape shit about d-wade getting special treatment in the finals they lost. But that was different right?

first clip of that video is bell running his body into harden, you have to give the offensive player room to come down or we will have blown out knees and ankles like zaza pulled. Harden had a and one that was called off in the most obvious call ever. You can’t change the way the game is called from regular season to game 7 of the wcf. If it’s a foul for over 100 games then it is last night. 

The first one comes to mind. And I'm not a Mavs fan, no matter how many times you try to say so

Edited by immortal13
  • Fuck You 1

You sure do post a lot in the mavs threads.

the first one was the furthest thing from a flop. Haha. Do you even know the rules? Go look them up, you have to give the player space to come down after a shot, so not only did he hit harden in the body during the shot, he fouled him again when he didn’t give him space to come down so they actually blew two calls there. I guess you think everything is a flop when they fall down? 

Turns out Luc getting hurt to end the season was a bigger loss than anticipated. Our lineup with he and Tucker were some of our nastiest defensively all year. He was also attacking the basket viciously and hitting the corner three. Him being a shell of his regular season second half hurt a lot. 

Agree that you need a duplicate Capela on the bench. Long, athletic and offensively limited is fine as long as he rebounds and changes shots. Go get a fourth guard as well. 

Paul George wouldn’t suck either. 

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You sure do post a lot in the mavs threads.

the first one was the furthest thing from a flop. Haha. Do you even know the rules? Go look them up, you have to give the player space to come down after a shot, so not only did he hit harden in the body during the shot, he fouled him again when he didn’t give him space to come down so they actually blew two calls there. I guess you think everything is a flop when they fall down? 

I never post in Mavs threads

17 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

problem is houston has no money, true?

Correct, even if they got rid of Anderson for nothing, they'd still be over the cap, but probably not the luxury line and even further away from the ceiling. They will only have the MLE to give to FAs. They have the Bird rights to Paul, Ariza, and Capela. Mbah a Moute and Green would have to sign for vet minimum deals again.

Of course, most of the teams in the playoffs have no money as well.

Correct, even if they got rid of Anderson for nothing, they'd still be over the cap, but probably not the luxury line and even further away from the ceiling. They will only have the MLE to give to FAs. They have the Bird rights to Paul, Ariza, and Capela. Mbah a Moute and Green would have to sign for vet minimum deals again.

Of course, most of the teams in the playoffs have no money as well.
As much as I'd like to see Green back, I don't think Morey will sign him. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

This is the problem for them. You couldn't give him away. I bet it will cost them multiple first rounds picks to make someone eat that contract.

Which is fine, Morey has proven he doesn't need a 1st round draft pick to make a splash on draft night. Besides if healthy most of those picks are going to be 26+, and at that point you are almost better with a high 2nd round pick.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Which is fine, Morey has proven he doesn't need a 1st round draft pick to make a splash on draft night. Besides if healthy most of those picks are going to be 26+, and at that point you are almost better with a high 2nd round pick.

Then they can probably move them because a rebuilding team could really use that type of asset.

This is the problem for them. You couldn't give him away. I bet it will cost them multiple first rounds picks to make someone eat that contract.

That’s the most likely scenario. We have to move that contract and we’re going to need to mortgage the future for the present in order to do so.

9 hours ago, Roofle said:

That’s the most likely scenario. We have to move that contract and we’re going to need to mortgage the future for the present in order to do so.

Dunc'd On Podcast did their Houston outlook today (22:00) Lots of interesting decisions ahead.

http://nateduncannba.com/podcast-episodes/clegsw-look-ahead-hou-offseason-outlook/

yeah i'm going to be very disappointed if they have to get rid of guys like pj and eric gordon.  even if it leads to bigger/better players.  those are guys i love having as rockets.

I’m guessing we pretty much have to dump EG when we trade Ryan to make the deal at least somewhat desirable.

No one is going to just take the Ryan Anderson contract for nothing, but seems like the Rockets could try to flip it for an even worse contract but still useful player like Nic Batum.

Nerlens Noel would be really smart to take a one year deal to play defense and catch lobs as Capela's backup to try to get a big deal the next year.

Luc, Ariza, and Green should all be brought back.

• 2 weeks later...
No one is going to just take the Ryan Anderson contract for nothing, but seems like the Rockets could try to flip it for an even worse contract but still useful player like Nic Batum.
Nerlens Noel would be really smart to take a one year deal to play defense and catch lobs as Capela's backup to try to get a big deal the next year.
Luc, Ariza, and Green should all be brought back.
Cleveland can have Kevin Love and Kevin Love lite.

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

2 years 50m for Love is pretty steep. Not sure what the market would be for him, but they will have a tough time moving that and getting less salary in return.

I hadn't realized Love was only 29. I bet if he finds a better fit, he'll have a little career resurgence. There's an "old man" element to his game that I love.

Yeah, I think he gets shit on a bit much, and would be a great floor spacer in our lineup if all we do is swap him for Ryan and a future 1st. Cleveland will be in firesale mode once LeBron makes Decision 3, and Love and Korver are the only guys I would want from that roster. Not many teams will have the cap space and desire to add him.