2017-18 Rockets Thread

The Tower

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Personally, I wanted a second run with JVG. He had his rag tag team without healthy superstars playing at their highest level and admitted to not being open minded on offense. D'Antoni is too goddamn stubborn for his own good and not up to par to making in-game adjustments.

I agree with JVG but he doesn't care enough anymore, he is too comfy goofing off with "momma there goes that man" guy.

D'Antoni isn't at fault for Cp3s hamstring and Ryno being MIA. I dig him, hes funny and cool under pressure. Maybe he should have got himself tossed after that shit officiating in game 6. 

4 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Yep, this game would have been totally different with CP3’s midrange game that is sometimes automatic. 

Not just that. In crunch time, I really don't want Harden handling the ball. Too long to get into an offensive set and too many turnovers.

Also banking on CP3 who is gonna be 34 next season and is unfortunately injury prone isn't a recipe for success. He did awesome for us this season, but he can't do it all.

1 minute ago, Sidney Sherman said:

I agree with JVG but he doesn't care enough anymore, he is too comfy goofing off with "momma there goes that man" guy.

D'Antoni isn't at fault for Cp3s hamstring and Ryno being MIA. I dig him, hes funny and cool under pressure. Maybe he should have got himself tossed after that shit officiating in game 6. 

I think you're incorrect. I mean Team USA entrusted him for Olympic qualification fairly recently.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20378274/jeff-van-gundy-takes-team-usa-challenge-jvg-style

Edited by UDontKnow

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

MDA isn't an elite coach, but he's good enough that it's risky to fire him without having a home run replacement in place. And no, a TV commentator who hasn't coached an NBA game in over a decade doesn't count.

He coached Team USA in the last year. I think he's good. 

They played their asses off and gave maximum effort tonight. They couldn't hit shots, the refs didn't help, and Golden State is really fucking good. It's really that simple. We need to get healthy, lick our wounds, and give it a shot again next year before the window closes. The team is right on the cusp. The Paul injury just makes it a really bitter pill to swallow. This one sucks...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I don't think it was coaching or anything like that. Sometimes in high pressure situations, you just tense up. For the most part, the shots were good shots to take, the right passes were made etc...

It's just one of those big game things.  

Eric Gordon’s playoff free throws.

2 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Yeah JVG just isn't going to happen though. The Rockets are bought in to D, and whoever the assistant coach getting the Rockets defending needs a raise.

I would have also considered Lionel Hollins ahead of D'Antoni. But I think we'll have D'Antoni for at least 4 more seasons.

I don't see how this is on D'Antoni.

We blew leads of 17 and 15 in the last two games.  If CP3 is healthy, that shit doesn't happen.  If we made 4 of the 37 three-pointers we missed tonight, we win this game. 

We should have won this series.  No two ways about it.  The coach wasn't the problem.  We lost because of a bad break and a historic shooting meltdown.

I'm gonna go throw up and get some sleep.  Go Astros.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Personally, I wanted a second run with JVG. He had his rag tag team without healthy superstars playing at their highest level and admitted to not being open minded on offense. D'Antoni is too goddamn stubborn for his own good and not up to par to making in-game adjustments.

I would argue JVG is too stubborn to coach the modern NBA. That guy is too old school. He's not a fan of the open offensive scheme.

D'Antoni coached the hell out of this team. There is no way in hell JVG could have got the production out of CP3 and Capella as D'Antoni did - not to mention Gerald Green in the regular season among others.

The one thing everyone has known the past few seasons is that Harden will not take this team to the finals. He just doesn't have it in him.

5 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

They played their asses off and gave maximum effort tonight. They couldn't hit shots, the refs didn't help, and Golden State is really fucking good. It's really that simple. We need to get healthy, lick our wounds, and give it a shot again next year before the window closes. The team is right on the cusp. The Paul injury just makes it a really bitter pill to swallow. This one sucks...

All of this. 

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I would have also considered Lionel Hollins ahead of D'Antoni. But I think we'll have D'Antoni for at least 4 more seasons.

Dude. Hollins is totally mediocre as a head coach. I'm guessing you don't get a chance to interact with Nets or Grizzlies fans on a regular basis, but you should hear what they have to say about his personality management.

However, Stephen Silas was being considered with Hollins as an assistant, and that would have been intriguing.

Edited by Machinator

We blew leads of 17 and 15 in the last two games.  If CP3 is healthy, that shit doesn't happen.  If we made 4 of the 37 three-pointers we missed tonight, we win this game. 
We should have won this series.  No two ways about it.  The coach wasn't the problem.  We lost because of a bad break and a historic shooting meltdown.

I see it differently. You lost the same way multiple times. If the threes go that cold you need to make an adjustment. There is coaching in there somewhere.

Oh well. At least I’ll have more free time now. Sure as hell not watching this repeat final again. I hope it’s over in 4.
  • Like 1

same posts, same thread 3 or 4 years running

Harden is not a superstar. he is a star. simple example - learn to drive right and add a mid range jumper. learn anything really. his game is going to the well over and over and getting better at just that. when faced with a challenge he gets the yips 

rockets are the baylor of the NBA. offense works great bun in crunch time against a team that can adapt they choke. coach is a button presser. just keep pressing it and hoping it works out. 

rockets played great D in this series. in that regard they definitely improved

also durant is one of the most clutch scorers i have ever seen

Just now, mycox said:

I would argue JVG is too stubborn to coach the modern NBA. That guy is too old school. He's not a fan of the open offensive scheme.

D'Antoni coached the hell out of this team. There is no way in hell JVG could have got the production out of CP3 and Capella as D'Antoni did - not to mention Gerald Green in the regular season among others.

The one thing everyone has known the past few seasons is that Harden will not take this team to the finals. He just doesn't have it in him.

That's interesting because JVG admitted to being too stubborn in the past and actually said he'd be open to embracing the open offensive scheme. I think as a Houstonian, he'd be more invested in the team being successful. D'Antoni pretty much refused to make adjustments and baffled everyone by playing Ryan Anderson so many minutes in Game 7 when he'd hardly seen the court for meaningful minutes during the series.

I am in total agreement that Harden is not the alpha dog that you rely on for reaching the Finals. He benefited greatly from CP3's presence this season, but unfortunately it still wasn't enough.

1 minute ago, staboner said:

same posts, same thread 3 or 4 years running

Harden is not a superstar. he is a star. simple example - learn to drive right and add a mid range jumper. learn anything really. his game is going to the well over and over and getting better at just that. when faced with a challenge he gets the yips 

rockets are the baylor of the NBA. offense works great bun in crunch time against a team that can adapt they choke. coach is a button presser. just keep pressing it and hoping it works out. 

rockets played great D in this series. in that regard they definitely improved

also durant is one of the most clutch scorers i have ever seen

The Rockets aren't rapists or murderers (Baylor Basketball - Dave Bliss era). So you take that back!

Edited by UDontKnow

This x3

15 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Lack of adjustments is what killed this team. Evidence: the third quarter.

That's what the Rockets have done the past two years. Live and die by the 3. It's no secret. They will continue this strategy until Daryl Morey is no longer GM. Although a Chris Paul midrange game would have been very helpful.

2 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

Hanging this on DAntoni is some of the dumbest overreacting shit I ever seen. Anyone suggesting that should castrate themselves to save the gene pool for the sake of humanity.

You must have watched different 3rd quarters in this series than I did. Also, it can be argued that he's unable to get through to or rein Harden in.

• Like 1

And this. Don’t forget missed calls on 3 Harden threes, one of which went in.

I don’t get pinning this on D’Antoni either. If you are going to want to ditch this system you will have to get rid of Morey as well as he is the one who implemented the style we play based on analytics. Morey specifically sought D’Antoni to play this style. To get rid of Morey and D’Antoni would be moronic. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

23 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

A coach might have called a timeout after going 0-15 from three and told his team hey, lets try some 2's

Brad Stevens just lost a game 7 missing 30+ threes.  I guess he sucks too for not calling a timeout and changing his system in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

You must have watched different 3rd quarters in this series than I did. Also, it can be argued that he's unable to get through to or rein Harden in.

Wrong. That’s why CP3 was brought in. Shit didn’t work out. It sucks and hurts.
Omg we lost when our second most talented player and floor general couldn’t play. Let’s fire the coach!!!!! He sucks!!!!
Fucking dumber than a rock.

21 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

They need to make one more move, not sure what it is or how they go about doing it, but they need to plan for Paul to get hurt during the playoffs and have the necessary depth to cover for him.

The two best options I could see in that category are Isaiah Thomas on a 1 year deal, or Tyreke Evans. Though it's doubtful they are going to have the money for Evans, unless he takes a giant pay cut to play for a ring. If the Rockets could find any taker for Anderson, that would give them the room needed for either of those 2 players.

Finally, Scott Foster should be fucking fired.

Would love to see the roster shake out like this...

PG - Paul, Evans

SG - Harden, Gordon

SF - Ariza, Green

PF - Tucker, Mbah Moute

C - Capela, Nene, Wright

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, oh_snap said:

Omg we lost when our second most talented player and floor general couldn’t play. Let’s fire the coach!!!!! He sucks!!!!

The Rockets are going to be really good for a while.

Just now, oh_snap said:

I mean pinning your hopes on CP3 when he was dinged up through the season, it's a sound strategy right? Still no justification for consistently blowing the 3rd quarter and double digit leads besides OMG itz tha Warriors! Set the NBA record going 0/14 from 3 pt land and let a 11 point lead become a 7 point deficit. I thought the coach is supposed to come up with a plan if you lose your floor general. According to you, I guess not.

I mean pinning your hopes on CP3 when he was dinged up through the season, it's a sound strategy right? Still no justification for consistently blowing the 3rd quarter and double digit leads besides OMG itz tha Warriors! Set the NBA record going 0/14 from 3 pt land and let a 11 point lead become a 7 point deficit. I thought the coach is supposed to come up with a plan if you lose your floor general. According to you, I guess not.

Yea you’re right, let’s fire the coach for pinning his hopes on being able to use his star player to beat the defending champion. He’s so dumb for doing that. And shame on him for not pulling off the upset.
I weep for your offspring.

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Brad Stevens overachieved, D'Antoni has come up short again and again.

Why didn’t overachieving Brad tell his team to “try more 2’s?”  

Its fucking idiotic to call Dantoni an underachiever.  He overachieves in the regular season and loses to teams with more talent in the playoffs. which happens just about every year to every team and every coach in the NBA. 

Just now, CurlyDumps said:

Its fucking idiotic to call Dantoni an underachiever.  He overachieves in the regular season and loses to teams with more talent in the playoffs. which happens just about every year to every team and every coach in the NBA. 

Actually you're right, I hope the Rockets keep D'Antoni for the next 10 years

1 minute ago, oh_snap said:

Yea you’re right, let’s fire the coach for pinning his hopes on being able to use his star player to beat the defending champion. He’s so dumb for doing that. And shame on him for not pulling off the upset.
I weep for your offspring.

Your schtick is not funny. Upset? The Rockets had home court and were favored by FiveThirtyEight analytics (you know the same system that Morey introduced to the NBA?). And there is no guarantee the Rockets will have the best record in the league again next season. The only way D'Antoni ever gets to a Finals is if the Rockets end up getting another alpha, specifically, LeBron--the guy who has actually been the coach in Cleveland since he returned from Miami. 

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Its fucking idiotic to call Dantoni an underachiever.  He overachieves in the regular season and loses to teams with more talent  better coaches in the playoffs. which happens just about every year to every team and every coach in the NBA. 

fify

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

He's like the opposite of Rudy T.

Good coach, though.

Your schtick is not funny. Upset? The Rockets had home court and were favored by FiveThirtyEight analytics (you know the same system that Morey introduced to the NBA?). And there is no guarantee the Rockets will have the best record in the league again next season. The only way D'Antoni ever gets to a Finals is if the Rockets end up getting another alpha, specifically, LeBron--the guy who has actually been the coach in Cleveland since he returned from Miami. 

Yea I’m upset. I admitted that already. This loss sucks.
But I’m not a dipshit that would hold the coach to an impossible standard and think he should be fired when he fails to live up to said standard.
And way to go out on a limb and say the rockets would win with lebron. Are you sure about that?