Researchers: Myers-Briggs Ain't Worth A Shit

phdhorn

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah I was trying to recall if there was a gender ID question or not 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah I was trying to recall if there was a gender ID question or not 

Bra size ?

when is a skirt too short ?

Years ago I had a recruiter call me up saying he was looking to fill a position that fit my credentials to a tee.  He went through a description of the job and it sounded pretty good so I figured why not see what they have to say.  The recruiter said that the company wanted all candidates to take a personality test as the first step in the process.

I said, "Yeah, we're done here."  Not that I have a problem with taking a personality test, but I don't want to work for a company that puts that much faith into complete shite.

I take the test a couple times per year for the past decade, and I'm almost always an ENTJ with extreme E, pretty high T & J, and just barely into the N threshold.  The only times I haven't gotten ENTJ was on a different set of questions, and I was a (barely) ESTJ with the same extremes in E, T, J and just a flip from the N to the S.

It's definitely made me more aware of my tendency to force my plans, preferences, and priorities on people and the social fallout than can result.  My old man is also on ENTJ (my whole family did it once) who has never figured that out (or just doesn't care), so I consciously try to stop myself from doing it.

If you use it to understand yourself better, and adjust your actions, then it's worthwhile.  If you're using it to justify your shit habits, fuck you.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I take the test a couple times per year for the past decade, and I'm almost always an ENTJ with extreme E, pretty high T & J, and just barely into the N threshold.  The only times I haven't gotten ENTJ was on a different set of questions, and I was a (barely) ESTJ with the same extremes in E, T, J and just a flip from the N to the S.

It's definitely made me more aware of my tendency to force my plans, preferences, and priorities on people and the social fallout than can result.  My old man is also on ENTJ (my whole family did it once) who has never figured that out (or just doesn't care), so I consciously try to stop myself from doing it.

If you use it to understand yourself better, and adjust your actions, then it's worthwhile.  If you're using it to justify your shit habits, fuck you.

Learning about how you behave under stress is even more helpful.

I am almost always ENFJ, with very low E, borderline actually I. Also low F. So sometimes INFJ, ENTJ. Always high NJ.

I came across this a few years ago. I ended up paying for the detailed results. However, if you understand how these things work, the paid report is not necessary. 

If you want something to get done that takes initiative and where each situation is different and not black and white, then hire a "Builder". 

https://members.taylorprotocols.com/Tools/CVIGift.aspx?GiftHash=a6d9f914-5adb-1030-aa1a-adf0ab89abbd

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Years ago I had a recruiter call me up saying he was looking to fill a position that fit my credentials to a tee.  He went through a description of the job and it sounded pretty good so I figured why not see what they have to say.  The recruiter said that the company wanted all candidates to take a personality test as the first step in the process.

I said, "Yeah, we're done here."  Not that I have a problem with taking a personality test, but I don't want to work for a company that puts that much faith into complete shite.

That recruiter should have started out by asking if you would like to hear about an ideal opportunity should he come across it. If your answer was yes, he should have asked you what you consider ideal and why. 

After learning that and if the opportunity fit, he should have brought it up. If you agreed that it sounded good and that you would like to proceed with it, he should have brought up the personality test, explaining that if truly interested then this is the first step before he could present you to his client.

People will always do what they perceive is in their best interests. Although sometimes in career matters, they may have a misconception of the "next step" to achieve their end goals.

The chore is to find out what people think is in their best interests and go from there.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I find personality tests to be highly accurate and useful. Mine said I was a badass with a huge Johnson. Spot on.

You have a bad ass and a spot on your Johnson?  TMI.

Edited by phdhorn

There's probably some truth and some quackery with the MBTI. It's helped me for sure though. For my type (ENFP), it's helped to explain certain quirks I have when it comes to productivity.

For the longest time, my wife would be confused about that fact that when I have important tasks to do, I take on more projects. She's always trying to talk me into dropping other projects when I have something important coming up. I never knew why, but for some reason I work better in a state of chaos and massive activity. That's a hallmark of the ENFP - to be more productive the busier you are.

I took over a business that had been using personality tests during the hiring process. We were getting weird results so I called up a guy who has a PhD in this area and is one of the country’s leading authorities on the use of these tests to predict employee performance.

When I told him what we were doing and what tests we were using, he became very exasperated. He explained he deals with this issue every day, namely a bunch of dumb ass companies playing amateur psychiatrists. He recommended we stop using them right away.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, ajax said:

There's probably some truth and some quackery with the MBTI. It's helped me for sure though. For my type (ENFP), it's helped to explain certain quirks I have when it comes to productivity.

For the longest time, my wife would be confused about that fact that when I have important tasks to do, I take on more projects. She's always trying to talk me into dropping other projects when I have something important coming up. I never knew why, but for some reason I work better in a state of chaos and massive activity. That's a hallmark of the ENFP - to be more productive the busier you are.

ENFP= "The Woodchipper"

On 5/10/2019 at 12:44 PM, Dbeasy said:

I took over a business that had been using personality tests during the hiring process. We were getting weird results so I called up a guy who has a PhD in this area and is one of the country’s leading authorities on the use of these tests to predict employee performance.

When I told him what we were doing and what tests we were using, he became very exasperated. He explained he deals with this issue every day, namely a bunch of dumb ass companies playing amateur psychiatrists. He recommended we stop using them right away.

The important question that is not typically considered is not how they test, but rather if they will be happy doing the job. People only perform well if they are doing a job that they actually like. Another issue is common misconceptions about what type of job a person will like if they test a certain way.

For instance, people look for extraversion in sales roles but highly extraverted people don't do well in sales because they are not good planners, tend to be disorganized, talk too much, doesn't listen to what the customer is saying and most importantly, get their feelings hurt too easily when people don't respond to them. 

A slight introvert who is money hungry/success oriented will outperform an extrovert (high) every time unless we are speaking about high volume product sales, where the customer comes to them, such as retail sales.

Another problem is IQ. A certain MB type for someone with an IQ of 120 will perform differently than someone with the same MB type and an IQ of 100. 

Lots of factors but again, what it boils down too is does that person want to do this job..and why.

Edited by Dolemite