Is anyone else a sucker for a good documentary?

RPM

Watching Harlan County, USA and it's excellent. Covers the bloody 1973 Kentucky coal miner's strike. 

There were scenes where they ran out of film, but director Barbara Kopple told the crew to pretend to continue filming because she thought it was stopping the company thugs from attacking.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, BERT said:

I read that title as Harlan Country, USA and in my mind it was about Harland Williams the comedian.  I quickly realized i was wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

excited rocket man GIF

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

I heartily recommend a BBC documentary called Trauma Zone about Russia from the fall of communism up until Putin. Interestingly done in that there is no narration or re-enactments. The whole story is told through hundreds of clips from all aspects of Russian life. You can stream all 7 episodes on YouTube. Fascinating stuff.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I heartily recommend a BBC documentary called Trauma Zone about Russia from the fall of communism up until Putin. Interestingly done in that there is no narration or re-enactments. The whole story is told through hundreds of clips from all aspects of Russian life. You can stream all 7 episodes on YouTube. Fascinating stuff.

Thank you for this.

Watching now.

Just now, Augustus said:

Thank you for this.

Watching now.

People my age grew up so scared of the Soviet Union and every time we get some look into how it was over there it's just incredible.

They're filming the police recruits pulling triggers but using sound effects for the gunshots because they didn't have enough ammunition.

That whole thing was being held together with duct tape and baling wire but we didn't know it.  

They still had the nuclear arsenal, though, and I'm guessing they had enough that plenty would've made it over here.

will check out that russia doc, sounds up my alley.

I love ... I guess it's cinema verite or whatever, documentaries following fairly unexceptional people showing their stories. Really I guess I love Michael Apted's Up Series (I believe mostly available on YouTube) which followed a dozen or so British 7 years olds and then had a new installment every 7 years. Started in the early 60s I think, the most recent one may have been 63 Up, unclear if it will continue given that Apted died.

A similarish one that I watched recently and is sticking with me is "Life of Crime 1984-2020" on HBO(max). They also have the first two installments but you could just watch the most recent one. Documentarian follows some lowlifes in Newark. A couple of shoplifters and a prostitute, of course all drug addicts. And man you get to know and in a way love each one of them, and it's just a devastating film.

20 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
Russian was, is and always will be a fucked up place politically, economically and morally. With their natural resources, geography, and agriculture potential, they should be the richest country on the planet. Instead, the place is a shithole. 

Just another part of what makes that nation's history such a tragedy.  Hell, they might be the richest nation on the planet if their revolutionaries hadn't been communists.