Jump to content

The Guitar Pron Thread


Celery Man

Recommended Posts

I would've left the dirt on the board, but the actual frets needed the cleaning desparately (it all got cleaned).

I was super pissed once when I took my p bass (main gigging weapon) in for a setup and it came back with all the funk cleaned off the board.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Deej

    2028

  • DougO

    1011

  • Chad Fuck

    1484

  • tbone_

    1246

Some guy at AVG used cut up pieces of credit card plastic to shim the bridge of my Taylor once to adjust the action. I know because the next guy that did it right showed me the pieces.

Granted, that was a long time ago. Probably 09.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Some guy at AVG used cut up pieces of credit card plastic to shim the bridge of my Taylor once to adjust the action. I know because the next guy that did it right showed me the pieces.

Granted, that was a long time ago. Probably 09.

The last time UT was good in football. That is a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's... Jess Baker at Strait that is really great? I do know the last time I took a guitar to Strait for a setup though it was like "uh 3 months". Either way, absent Ray Hennig's (I feel like i had a story about Austin Vintage being dicks and then Ray Hennig himself fixing my shit for free, but that would be 15 years ago) that would be my next stop.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some guy at AVG used cut up pieces of credit card plastic to shim the bridge of my Taylor once to adjust the action. I know because the next guy that did it right showed me the pieces.

Granted, that was a long time ago. Probably 09.
That's odd. Per some Taylor guys I was talking to when I lived in San Diego, their whole reasoning for having bolted on necks is so that you never have to shim the bridge.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's odd. Per some Taylor guys I was talking to when I lived in San Diego, their whole reasoning for having bolted on necks is so that you never have to shim the bridge.

Correct. That’s what I meant by the next guy who did it right.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

That's the right choice on color. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I ordered the expensive ones way back and just couldn’t justify that much for that guitar. So this should scratch the itch. Was torn between the blue and the green  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Bought a blue silver sky SE from Sweetwater let the hate begins

dont care had sex

It's poplar body is not quite a wonderland. 

Quote

Even though poplar is tonally similar to alder, it’s not as dynamic and exciting, resulting in a rather unexciting tone.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Bought a blue silver sky SE from Sweetwater let the hate begins

dont care had sex

Its gonna play better than my ES-330 :D

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

That's the right choice on color. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yeah, I'm interested in your review as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I think it's... Jess Baker at Strait that is really great? I do know the last time I took a guitar to Strait for a setup though it was like "uh 3 months". Either way, absent Ray Hennig's (I feel like i had a story about Austin Vintage being dicks and then Ray Hennig himself fixing my shit for free, but that would be 15 years ago) that would be my next stop.

Thank you for this.  I took it to Strait and had a much better experience.  It's going to take 5 weeks, but they let me leave the guitar with them and were very friendly.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 3:52 PM, Celery Man said:

I bet that's the nicest strat you can buy off a rack for $850.

i'm not a color technician but that green needs to be a bit closer to british racing green, and then i'd want it.

i don't mind the headstock generally, it looks weird on a strat, the main problem with it is that there's not a ton of real estate for a snark tuner.

With well put together and well intonated guitars, I don't have tuning issues. But I appreciate the... not having the strings bend along that axis to get to the tuning post.

My Breedlove has that same Snark real estate issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 6:33 PM, Celery Man said:

SE is for paralegals.

 

I’m both sides on PRS. If I’m real, my Les Paul plays and sounds great, if it played and sounded like my McCarty I would think I had the best Les Paul in the planet.

So my two nicest electrics are my American HH Strat and my PRS Custom 24. If my PRS sounded like my Strat or my Strat played like my PRS I’d have the perfect guitar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For me, it's simple.  They are beyond ugly.  They are aesthetically irredeemable.  No way would I ever play one -- I mean, for one thing, I'm not a good enough player to pull off the look, but besides that, I've never ever in my life seen a single player make one look good.  They're just horrible looking guitars.  I don't care how good they are.

Does that make me a bad person?

Dave Navarro and Carlos Santana make everything look good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

So my two nicest electrics are my American HH Strat and my PRS Custom 24. If my PRS sounded like my Strat or my Strat played like my PRS I’d have the perfect guitar. 

it doesn't even make sense to me from a.... physics standpoint? why this would be the case with one guitar so much more than with other guitars but I can just pick up my PRS cold and pinch a harmonic first try. I could play 27 notes in a row and pinch each one into a harmonic on that guitar. I feel like that should all be just right hand stuff and it shouldn't make that big of a difference which comparable guitar it is, but it's not - PRS just obeys.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CV's are nice guitars for a nice price point. I had a 50's and 60's Tele and a 50's Strat, from when the first came out and were made in China. There was absolutely nothing wrong with any of them. The new ones are made in Indonesia, I think and they seem to be getting heavier, but still get great reviews. One thing to remember is they have very thin necks. If that's an issue, avoid them, or get a replacement neck. Otherwise, don't be ashamed or rocking a Squier. 

The double bound sunburst 60's I had was gorgeous. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Deej said:

The CV's are nice guitars for a nice price point. I had a 50's and 60's Tele and a 50's Strat, from when the first came out and were made in China. There was absolutely nothing wrong with any of them. The new ones are made in Indonesia, I think and they seem to be getting heavier, but still get great reviews. One thing to remember is they have very thin necks. If that's an issue, avoid them, or get a replacement neck. Otherwise, don't be ashamed or rocking a Squier. 

The double bound sunburst 60's I had was gorgeous. 

What's wrong with thin necks? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BERT said:

What's wrong with thin necks? 

Nothing, but a lot of people do not like them. Also, the CV necks are thinner than what most would consider thin. Very shallow from front to back. They are nicely made, just really thin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Nothing, but a lot of people do not like them. Also, the CV necks are thinner than what most would consider thin. Very shallow from front to back. They are nicely made, just really thin. 

So would that hinder or help someone with smaller hands? Seems like would help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BERT said:

So would that hinder or help someone with smaller hands? Seems like would help. 

I don't have huge hands, and I have found that a thicker neck plays more comfortably than a really skinny one. The really thin ones made my hand and fingers hurt after a while.  The CV's are really skinny, at least the older ones were. I would try before you buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BERT said:

So would that hinder or help someone with smaller hands? Seems like would help. 

Are you in Austin? If so, I have two Squier CV’s you’re welcome to borrow and try out. I’ve got a 50s Strat in Fiesta Red that I posted a couple pages back and also have a 60s Custom Tele in sunburst with binding. Both of mine are earlier models made in China.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Are you in Austin? If so, I have two Squier CV’s you’re welcome to borrow and try out. I’ve got a 50s Strat in Fiesta Red that I posted a couple pages back and also have a 60s Custom Tele in sunburst with binding. Both of mine are earlier models made in China.  

Unfortunately i'm in Longview. But thanks for the offer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are people’s thoughts on bigsby’s here? I am considering putting one on a 335.  I know it’s going to add weight and not stay in tune if I try to dive with it (I won’t), but does it change tone and or sustain?  Will it stay in tune with just light warbling of chords and shit like that?

31EB4950-4279-4FF5-A7DC-2B399E84FE38.jpeg

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29223.jpg

he's going to need to check his tuning before playing Unchained Melody

I've never had tuning stability issues with my bigsby with little sleepwalk chord warbles. Biggest pain in the ass is restringing, but it's not a huge deal.

 

I just had to search my memory banks of why I was thinking of "Sleepwalk" as a song with bigsby chord warbles - 

 

man Brian Setzer was/is (huh, only 62 - would be a good pick for celebrity death watch, I feel like he's had some health scares) a monster player but the orchestra might as well be midi

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

29223.jpg

he's going to need to check his tuning before playing Unchained Melody

I've never had tuning stability issues with my bigsby with little sleepwalk chord warbles. Biggest pain in the ass is restringing, but it's not a huge deal.

 

I just had to search my memory banks of why I was thinking of "Sleepwalk" as a song with bigsby chord warbles - 

 

I assumed you meant Sleep Walk

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you said:

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

29223.jpg

he's going to need to check his tuning before playing Unchained Melody

I've never had tuning stability issues with my bigsby with little sleepwalk chord warbles. Biggest pain in the ass is restringing, but it's not a huge deal.

 

I just had to search my memory banks of why I was thinking of "Sleepwalk" as a song with bigsby chord warbles - 

 

man Brian Setzer was/is (huh, only 62 - would be a good pick for celebrity death watch, I feel like he's had some health scares) a monster player but the orchestra might as well be midi

What I read:

Quote

Do it and you will play as good as and sound like Brian Setzer every time you pick up that guitar.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...