Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

On 2/28/2019 at 5:45 PM, davidg said:

Anybody sawing any lumber themselves?    I am mesmerized by the operation of some of these machines and have a strong urge to cut some of my own lumber.  We have a ton of eastern red ceder on our place with a probably 20-30 dead trees in one area that are up to  24-28" OD.

If you’re in Austin you can take it out to a place off Hamilton Pool road and they’ll custom saw it for you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

20190316-200855.jpg

Bed is finished, just waiting on floors.

Next project: 

Flooding damaged areas ripped up and ready for repair.

20190226-115001.jpg

Start of shiplap

20190317-114416.jpg

And where I left off on sunday...  Yes I'm going all the way to the top with the shiplap.  

20190317-161715.jpg

• Like 7

Built, then finally finished the bellman's cart. Sometimes when I dont like a project, how it's looking, shaping up, I can drag my feet on it. I stalled this lady for months and felt bad about it, was going to trim it out with cedar I had from another project, but in the process of milling the cedar trim I knew I didnt like it. Anyways, went with red oak for trim

Went and got new pipe, cut myself, then took it back to HD for a threading. They cant cut for shit there. (New pipe not pictured) 5dd98a019f3ea761a7f46c64c6b169d2.jpg1166e01b21266673f9deaf3a263223f4.jpg68bf2c80dee5dd5bb47d7563b8cff3e6.jpgbc60b6d5ae0aa65ee999e38f759ba2cc.jpg85188ebc60abef88e9878c85bba602ac.jpg8ccd20c339f62f544f1c452c0b9ec37e.jpg59157a744e151a02af8af8b246b1d806.jpg3e75ad13b9c9c08a521640400cdd5c7f.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that is a 12ft ladder,...  It came with the house.   I would have preferred a 10ft one, little easier to move and manage, and enough height to do what I need.  None the less, this heavy ass bastard did the job.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

So I've been doing pyrography for a little while. Right now I'm working on a collection for The Office. Thought I might contribute to the amazing work you all have going on here and share my own.

20190405_135011_zpsr23legin.jpg

20190323_094152_zpsay1e4ae6.jpg

IMG_20190322_141840_400_zpsahx2cznc.jpg

IMG_20190322_140745_472_zpspwqnla3y.jpg

I'm working on another right now, but I'm not ready to share that one yet.

Dickbutt or muledick?

On 4/11/2018 at 8:08 PM, Hawndoh said:

Knocked out a solution to storing scrap wood this evening. 

7W2nWx0e_o.jpegyxNcMN07_o.jpeg

I wanted to do this exactly (on both sides) but the ones I found online were too tall. I only have maximum of 14 inches before it would hit the garage door. I figured all I had to do was cut all four legs so that's an option. Did you cut these or is your garage door just lower from the ceiling than mine? 

On 4/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, dad said:

I wanted to do this exactly (on both sides) but the ones I found online were too tall. I only have maximum of 14 inches before it would hit the garage door. I figured all I had to do was cut all four legs so that's an option. Did you cut these or is your garage door just lower from the ceiling than mine? 

Home depot has a sale on these bad boys so I went ahead and ordered two of them. I will cut them so they clear the garage door. Haven't decided which direction I want to install them in terms of long way fore and aft from the garage door or laterally. 

50 minutes ago, dad said:

Home depot has a sale on these bad boys so I went ahead and ordered two of them. I will cut them so they clear the garage door. Haven't decided which direction I want to install them in terms of long way fore and aft from the garage door or laterally. 

I have room in my shed for all of my scrap nowadays, but in our old house I fashioned a garage-ceiling mounted storage compartment like that one.  But I used scrap 2x4 and angle brackets for the "legs", so I could make it whatever height I wanted.  The garage door just barely cleared, but it made it!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I have room in my shed for all of my scrap nowadays, but in our old house I fashioned a garage-ceiling mounted storage compartment like that one.  But I used scrap 2x4 and angle brackets for the "legs", so I could make it whatever height I wanted.  The garage door just barely cleared, but it made it!

The wife simply does not understand why I keep left over lumber.  I can't begin to list the number of times a scrap of 2 x 4 or a 2 x 2 piece of plywood, left over trim boards, millwork, etc. has come in handy,

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

The wife simply does not understand why I keep left over lumber.  I can't begin to list the number of times a scrap of 2 x 4 or a 2 x 2 piece of plywood, left over trim boards, millwork, etc. has come in handy,

username checks out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I have a thing about not throwing any scrap away. All it takes is one time when you're thinking "all I need is a small scrap piece and this would work!"

And then you end up with a bucket like this
3192486942e3d965c9e08068114eea75.jpg

One bucket of that stuff is sufficient, anything more and you're hoarding.

I have many, many buckets like that. :)

But now that I have a 9yo son, we find all kinds of uses for scrap.  Can't tell you how many ramps and birdhouses and popcorn sale signs and other stuff we've built out of all that.

Edited by utee94

17 hours ago, Dewey said:

I have a thing about not throwing any scrap away. All it takes is one time when you're thinking "all I need is a small scrap piece and this would work!"

And then you end up with a bucket like this
3192486942e3d965c9e08068114eea75.jpg

I've never done one before; but this might just be the thing to put on a bucketlist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The kids and I have been working on a large wooden headboard for the guest bedroom, made entirely out of construction lumber.  It's modern in style and will fit in with the largely mid-century decor in the room.  It's actually not a headboard because the bed already has one, so it's more of a large wooden art piece that sits behind the headboard, but it also serves as the attach point for floating nightstands, and some wall-mounted reading lights.

I'd like to post some pictures of it, and a few other projects I've mentioned on this thread, but haven't ever signed up for any image hosting before.  I think photobucket doesn't play nice with Surly, is that still correct?  So is imgur the best hosting service?

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The kids and I have been working on a large wooden headboard for the guest bedroom, made entirely out of construction lumber.  It's modern in style and will fit in with the largely mid-century decor in the room.  It's actually not a headboard because the bed already has one, so it's more of a large wooden art piece that sits behind the headboard, but it also serves as the attach point for floating nightstands, and some wall-mounted reading lights.

I'd like to post some pictures of it, and a few other projects I've mentioned on this thread, but haven't ever signed up for any image hosting before.  I think photobucket doesn't play nice with Surly, is that still correct?  So is imgur the best hosting service?

I use Photobucket currently.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 2:51 PM, utee94 said:

Thanks, but I don't do tapa.  I don't do any message board forums (or really anything else internet-related) from the phone. I pretty much only use my phone for making phone calls, the occasional text, and maps, I guess.

imgbb.com.    Free, works easily, and you don't even need an account.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I should be able to handle that.

I've let my kids do the majority of the work on the new wooden headboard in the MCM room, and it's looking really good.  It's almost done (well it is done but I need to do some finishing touches) and I'll post up some pics when that's all through.  I also have pictures of a lighting fixture I made out of a slab of live edge black walnut, and a few other things I've built around the house.

I call this project "healthy stool", fun little and quick fixer. Found a stool in my alley, was just so happening to be in the market for a stool and wasnt liking what I was finding. The old top was MDF wrapped in veneer, naturally the holes gave way. Red oak leftovers make for a better top.

I'm in the process of clear coating it, probably going to paint the stand and call it. 08e829be3db2e8baa8589422a197e79d.jpgaf02ff9cc8476d931358964558dbb3e5.jpgb40d4c06312fa2a6af94472ebe4c95fc.jpgfbb87f1db6ead112a8512c51a7daea6d.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

so, I've got an old house out here North of San Diego 30 miles or so.

We've gotten quite a bit of rain.  On Friday I was weed-whacking along the back of the house.  I'm on 2 acres, and it isn't all nicely landscaped. Basically, I keep the front half looking nice, and let the back half just go native, but under control. 

Anyway, I've got an 1 1/4 inch gas line coming into the house.  I'm weed-whacking along, and I weed whack right through the fucking gas pipe.  Fucking picklewipes that installed it didn't wrap it above the ground...the wrap stops about 3" under ground.  So, it was rusted to shit to the point that the weed whacker broke the pipe.  Gas was flowing.   I got to the meter (which is about 100 yards away) and got it shut off.  Then, I had to cut the pipe because there is no union.  Home Depot didn't have any black pipe over 1 inch, so I had to McGuyver a temp repair using a flex appliance gas line and a bunch of reducers. 

So, I get the gas back on, and I go around re-lighting pilots as needed.  I open the door to the guesthouse water heater closet, and of course, the mofo is leaking.  So, I got to do a water heater swap too.  When I pulled out the old one, I see a date code that says 1991, so I guess it was due to fail.  

Needless to say, the valves and supply lines were shit, so that all got replaced too. 

On 5/25/2019 at 2:34 PM, utee94 said:

I've been working on our guest bedroom, it's basically been a junk/storage room for the past several years, since we moved into the house.  But I've had grand plans for this room, oh yes I have.  I'll x-post some of this to the mid century modern thread, too, since there's a lot of MCM pieces and influence in my design.

I built this large wooden headboard/wall art piece out of construction lumber, with a lot of help from my 9yo son and 11yo daughter.  And then I let them do the majority of the staining/finishing themselves as well.  They had a great time and learned a lot, plus the piece looks pretty good.

61114031_10205646887087966_7285602502228

Floating sideboards for a cleaner look, with 7 coats of spar urethane on each because I don't trust my guests not to put drinks directly on them without a coaster!  And this chair is now my favorite place to sit in the house and read...

61366752_10205646886567953_2081438445535

60833500_10205646887127967_3178407542866

61198778_10205646887447975_1806147749284

The reading lights are wired through the headboard and placed on separate remote-controlled switches.

61282744_10205646887727982_5562394612993

This was an odd niche on the opposite side of the room, so I added the built-in desk, made from a hollow core door with birch veneer.

61559040_10205646888167993_6435989728343

60953042_10205646887967988_8395259989513

nice work.  

It's like Peggy Hill's office, but much nicer, and without the water heater.

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2019 at 9:03 PM, Gil Bang said:

so, I've got an old house out here North of San Diego 30 miles or so.

We've gotten quite a bit of rain.  On Friday I was weed-whacking along the back of the house.  I'm on 2 acres, and it isn't all nicely landscaped. Basically, I keep the front half looking nice, and let the back half just go native, but under control. 

Anyway, I've got an 1 1/4 inch gas line coming into the house.  I'm weed-whacking along, and I weed whack right through the fucking gas pipe.  Fucking picklewipes that installed it didn't wrap it above the ground...the wrap stops about 3" under ground.  So, it was rusted to shit to the point that the weed whacker broke the pipe.  Gas was flowing.   I got to the meter (which is about 100 yards away) and got it shut off.  Then, I had to cut the pipe because there is no union.  Home Depot didn't have any black pipe over 1 inch, so I had to McGuyver a temp repair using a flex appliance gas line and a bunch of reducers. 

So, I get the gas back on, and I go around re-lighting pilots as needed.  I open the door to the guesthouse water heater closet, and of course, the mofo is leaking.  So, I got to do a water heater swap too.  When I pulled out the old one, I see a date code that says 1991, so I guess it was due to fail.  

Needless to say, the valves and supply lines were shit, so that all got replaced too. 

update:  so, it turns out Lowes carries 1 1/4" black pipe.  I went there today and had it cut and threaded, and, adding a union, made the repair without much trouble.  I wrapped the pipe with a lot of pipe wrap to about 8" above ground.  Gas is back on.  New and old water heater pilots are re-lit, and all is well here until the next problem.  The joys of owning an old house...

• Like 1

Looks good, it'll serve the purpose well.  

I'm finally getting a workshop/shed in the backyard, so I'll be able to move most of my woodworking tools out of the garage.  I'll leave the auto mechanical toolsets in the garage, but now they'll have much more breathing room.  I'll also be able to fit the F150 into the garage now that the workbench will move to the shed shop.  Can't wait!

• 1 month later...

Lets talk wood rot on door framing.

Got three patio doors that face northwest and get blasted when the storm run through.  There were some signs of rot when we bought the place, and some minor water infiltration that has gotten substantially worst.  The doors are prehung, the wood adjusters on the thresholds have rotted and need to come out.  I think that the fundamental problem is that who ever built the place caulked the weep holes that the sill tray is suppose to drain through, so the water just sat in the tray, rotting the stops and the jamb.

Here is basically what the problem looks like, impacting three patio doors to various degrees. Some worse than this, some less so. Also, at least two of the thresholds are fucked and some of the brick mold.

After reading about some of the various solutions, covering everything from putty to replacing the door, I am planning to saw out the rotted pieces and just splice in new ones, replacing the thresholds and the brick mold, sealing up everything real good with silicone.  Pictures below describe the basic process.

Does this seems like the best solution, or do I need to be considering a different approach.    

Exterior-Door-Frame-Jamb-Probing-Rotted-

Door-Frame-Repair-Rotted-Jamb-Cut-Out-40

Rotted-Exterior-Door-Frame-Fitting-Splic

Rotted-Exterior-Door-Frame-Finished-Repa

2 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

I did this exact job. a multitool makes things easier. I replaced w PVC to prevent future problems. 

Yes, I was thinking of replacing with PCV on the brickmould. Might do the same for the slice pieces too.  Fuck water and fuck wood rot. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yes, I was thinking of replacing with PCV on the brickmould. Might do the same for the slice pieces too.  Fuck water and fuck wood rot. 

PVC trim is your friend. I've been replacing 30 year old wood brick molding and trim for 24 years now with PVC on our house as the wood fails.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

PVC trim is your friend. I've been replacing 30 year old wood brick molding and trim for 24 years now with PVC on our house as the wood fails.

So I need to replace the thresholds as well. How is the threshold attached? It is just adhesived down to the sill pan when they installed the door?  Work a crow bar under there and try to pop it without messing up the sill pan or the brick? 

Edited by Anastasis

Just now, Anastasis said:

So I need to replace the thresholds as well. How is the threshold attached? It is just adhesived down to the sill pan when they installed the door?  Work a crow bar under there and try to pop it without messing up the sill pan? 

Haven't replaced a threshold yet.

The plot thickens. Shit. Pulled the door trim and saw some rot on edge of the bottom plate. Pulled the baseboard and cut the drywall, and the extent runs basically the full length.  Will have to round the corner and see if the rot follows. This is going to be a little more than I am going to want to take on myself. 

C7-D4-B53-A-7-AE5-467-A-AA39-1-A3-A3-DEA