Anastasis

Eat What You Kill - Game Recipes, Food Prons

The Mexia side of the family really liked squirrel, but they died out before I could get to one of their reunions. I assume it's nasty as hell if you didn't grow up with it?

Ever eat rabbit? It’s really similar.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:49 AM, CHIEF said:

Don't have a walk in cooler, but something I've started doing the last 10 years or so, is pack all the meat into a cooler and keep it covered with ice for a week or two. Draining the blood off each day, and replenishing the ice. This drains the meat nicely of blood. I found this method out by just being too lazy to bone out and process what I had killed, and just kept it cold till I felt like doing it. Blind hog, acorn, and all.

CHIEF

I don't like deer soaked in ice.  Keep it cool and dry

https://www.facebook.com/notes/bourgeois-meat-market/hunters-stop-soaking-your-deer-meat-in-ice-water/1075958399180245

15895752_1075958912513527_53832950835813

Big weekend starting Thursday night.  Going to try and shoot and process 2 deer, fashion a new smokehouse and make sausage using the sausage parts of the venison and part of a farm-raised pig my buddy butchered.  A lot to attempt between Friday morning and Sunday afternoon.

The Mexia side of the family really liked squirrel, but they died out before I could get to one of their reunions. I assume it's nasty as hell if you didn't grow up with it?

Yeah but could you get squirrel at Jim’s crispy fried chicken or at wrights bbq?

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I need to step up my mushroom game and find some better ones to use with stroganoff.  My local heb sucks.

I scavenged my H-E-B for a mix of shiitake and crimini. I feel strongly about shiitake mushrooms.

ETA: I miss the bins of mushrooms at CM Lamar. 

Edited by Anastasis

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I scavenged my H-E-B for a mix of shiitake and crimini. I feel strongly about shiitake mushrooms.

ETA: I miss the bins of mushrooms at CM Lamar. 

Yeah I was thinking central market.  I love chanterelles and other wild types but never think to grab them.  

Apparently there is an existing thread for this, so I'll move my post here

My brother wants me to smoke a huge boar ham...or whatever cut it is but equivalent of a ham of a wild boar. I've heard bad things about wild boar meat. Is this going to suck? Any recs of how to brine and smoke it?

1 hour ago, Spur08 said:

Apparently there is an existing thread for this, so I'll move my post here

My brother wants me to smoke a huge boar ham...or whatever cut it is but equivalent of a ham of a wild boar. I've heard bad things about wild boar meat. Is this going to suck? Any recs of how to brine and smoke it?

This one looks good but you have to brine for 6 days.

https://huntcookeat.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/smoked-wild-pig-ham/

Google “smoked wild hog ham” and there are a ton of options.

Tried the search function and this one didn't come up. Let the other one die a slow death...

For those wondering what to do with deer backstrap, my mom and daughter made this over Christmas.

Pesto Stuffed Backstrap

Butterfly backstrap

Tenderize venison backstrap

Spread with generous amount of pesto

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese

Roll up and place in oiled baking dish, rolled side down

Bake @ 400° to medium rare ~15 minutes

Served with bacon wrapped asparagus0b7562f7a4e3fd851fd32153b3d1a141.jpg4770c107d340534e0719fa08f45fd785.jpg

Anyone have a good venison eye of round recipe?
Check out Instant Pot recipes. I came across a venison and mushroom roast recipe that was good.

Anyone have a good venison jerky recipe?  Got a bottom round that I want to make into jerky. 

On 2/29/2020 at 8:50 PM, Spur08 said:

Anyone have a good venison jerky recipe?  Got a bottom round that I want to make into jerky. 

Bump since everyone is probably self-quarantining and bored.

Gonna drop this here.  Venison smash burger with some artisan onion rings from the garden and flour that I milled in Kansas last year.

LOL, no.  Some onion rings out of a bag in the freezer but they actually cook up really fucking well.

32-DD5-AF8-9-CFB-4-FAF-96-A7-3-F5-B11345

On 2/29/2020 at 8:50 PM, Spur08 said:

Lots worsty, a little soy, salt, lots and lots and lots of pepper, onion powder, some garlic powder. Throw in bag and marinate for a couple days then dehydrate.  I wish I kept better track of quantities but that is probably a good start.  Last batch I added a good measure of trappeys ghost pepper sauce to the marinade and it turns out exceptional.  Add more than you think you need. Not light your face on fire at all, but a very nice heat. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Lots worsty, a little soy, salt, lots and lots and lots of pepper, onion powder, some garlic powder. Throw in bag and marinate for a couple days then dehydrate.  I wish I kept better track of quantities but that is probably a good start.

Yep that’s the exact recipe I always use for jerky.  Eyeball everything but the general idea is spot on.  I’ve thrown in some red pepper flakes for heat if I want it a little spicy, but I usually only do that to about ⅓ of the batch.  I prefer most of it more traditional.

Venison and quail mixed grill with some tabhouli. The quail was store bought, the venison butchered hanging off the back of the truck. 

4757-C144-C87-D-442-A-A871-83-C80-A46030

Edited by Anastasis

42 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Venison and quail mixed grill with some tabhouli. The quail was store bought, the venison butchered hanging off the back of the truck. 

4757-C144-C87-D-442-A-A871-83-C80-A46030

Is that a reverse sear or sous vide?  Oven or grill?

Just now, Cousin Strawberry said:

Is that a reverse sear or sous vide?  Oven or grill?

Threw both in the sous vide @ 130. Seared off inside in the cast iron grill pan.