Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

Quick question: how the fuck do you manage a say, 14 hour smoke at 250 without adding more coals and it spiking for a long ass time? 

from what I've experienced you have to take the meat out, the grill, the heat deflector then add coals/wood chunks and then wait for it to come back down before putting it all back together. Tell  me what I'm missing 

Quick question: how the fuck do you manage a say, 14 hour smoke at 250 without adding more coals and it spiking for a long ass time? 

from what I've experienced you have to take the meat out, the grill, the heat deflector then add coals/wood chunks and then wait for it to come back down before putting it all back together. Tell  me what I'm missing 

I’ve done a 16 hr cook once and did not have to add any fuel or take anything out of the egg. It was a brisket and my temps were between 200-250 over that period.

Just make sure you load the egg full of lump. I put chunks of wood mixed in so I get smoke through the whole cook.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I’ve done a 16 hr cook once and did not have to add any fuel or take anything out of the egg. It was a brisket and my temps were between 200-250 over that period.

Just make sure you load the egg full of lump. I put chunks of wood mixed in so I get smoke through the whole cook.

I think that's what it is, I was thinking adding too much lump would be detrimental for some reason. Can you add too much?

• 3 months later...

I'm looking into the ceramic Kamado market. Spent the summer using an Akorn Jr. steel kamado after only ever having used a New Braunfels side smoker. I liked it, used it 2-3x per week.

What is the best bang for the buck? Is BGE significantly better than Kamado Joe or Primo? Should I just look for a end of season deal on whatever ceramic they have at the local hardware store?

I'm looking into the ceramic Kamado market. Spent the summer using an Akorn Jr. steel kamado after only ever having used a New Braunfels side smoker. I liked it, used it 2-3x per week.
What is the best bang for the buck? Is BGE significantly better than Kamado Joe or Primo? Should I just look for a end of season deal on whatever ceramic they have at the local hardware store?
I bought a Vision kamado from home depot about a year ago. $500-600 with several accessories. Used savings to buy temp controller and fan for spot on fire tending. Couldn't be happier.
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, Masshole Horn said:

most of the recs i have seen are for the Primo (Meathead here, search for "oval" https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/grill-smoker-combos/kamado-ceramic) because it gives you more space

if the question is round vs oval, what is the reason to ever limit yourself?

if the question is round specifically (BGE vs anyone else on the market) that is another question entirely imo

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, Masshole Horn said:

being a Primo user, the big advantage it has is the oval shape, which allows you to cook more. For example, this weekend I was able to simultaneously smoke 2 6.5lb  pork shoulders and about 10 large chicken breasts (about 7-8 lbs worth of chicken) (chicken wasn't on the whole time, but you get the point). Also like the ability to put a heat deflector down on half the grill for the indirect smoking experience. No significant cost difference than a BGE as I recall. There are cheaper rounds (like Kamado Joe) that a lot of folks say do just as well as a BGE. I'd vote for the Primo, but it is a matter of preference on oval vs round.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My in-laws gave me a BGE as a combo birthday/Xmas gift last month. Love the thing but I'm still learning.

Going to cook a beef tenderloin on it later. Wondering if I should slow-cook it or cook at high temp. Think I'm going to do a variation on the herb-crusted recipe from the BGE website combined with some others I found online. Should I use the deflector and go longer and slower or should I just cook it directly over the fire.

https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/herb-wrapped-beef-tenderloin/

To answer a question from further up the thread, I've got a Weber gas grill that I'll still continue to use once or twice during the week and my Klose off-set that doesn't get used very much at all. My folks bought the BGE-branded fan/regulator for Xmas but I think I'm going to have them return it so I can get the DigiQ setup that I can use on the BGE and my Klose (with the right adapters).

I have a BGE but I haven’t specifically cooked a tenderloin on it. We cook a ton of full unpeeled tenderloins on our regular Webber kettle down at the coast and the usual set up is to have the coals on each side and the tenderloin down the middle. Cook for about 20-25 min each side (7-8 lb tenderloins) . Turns out amazing each time. The large end will be around medium rare and the thin part will end up medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My in-laws gave me a BGE as a combo birthday/Xmas gift last month. Love the thing but I'm still learning.
Going to cook a beef tenderloin on it later. Wondering if I should slow-cook it or cook at high temp. Think I'm going to do a variation on the herb-crusted recipe from the BGE website combined with some others I found online. Should I use the deflector and go longer and slower or should I just cook it directly over the fire.
https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/herb-wrapped-beef-tenderloin/
To answer a question from further up the thread, I've got a Weber gas grill that I'll still continue to use once or twice during the week and my Klose off-set that doesn't get used very much at all. My folks bought the BGE-branded fan/regulator for Xmas but I think I'm going to have them return it so I can get the DigiQ setup that I can use on the BGE and my Klose (with the right adapters).

Thermoworks recommends low and slow to 125 after searing. I will try to post the link if I can find it.

Just threw it on. Egg was only up to 350 but had to get it going for my timing. Recipe posted said cook at 425 or something, I think. I'll keep a close eye on it. Didn't do the sear because of the herb/panko mixture that is on top. I'm prepared to throw it in the oven at my in-laws if we need to finish it off.

Just threw it on. Egg was only up to 350 but had to get it going for my timing. Recipe posted said cook at 425 or something, I think. I'll keep a close eye on it. Didn't do the sear because of the herb/panko mixture that is on top. I'm prepared to throw it in the oven at my in-laws if we need to finish it off.

Good luck. We’re all counting on you.

Good luck. We’re all counting on you.

Could only get it to 350 so thought it would take longer. It was at 95 when I got in shower and cleaned up. It was 135+ when I got back to it — last 10-15 mins went fast. So it was a bit over what I was shooting for but damn it was delicious. (FIL likes it better that way so all good.) Not getting hot enough didn’t crystallize the bread crumbs and herb mix on top but oh well, Central Market prime was terrific.

87de50d3eb57a7747da450ef6db9a41c.jpg
  • Like 4

Could only get it to 350 so thought it would take longer. It was at 95 when I got in shower and cleaned up. It was 135+ when I got back to it — last 10-15 mins went fast. So it was a bit over what I was shooting for but damn it was delicious. (FIL likes it better that way so all good.) Not getting hot enough didn’t crystallize the bread crumbs and herb mix on top but oh well, Central Market prime was terrific.

87de50d3eb57a7747da450ef6db9a41c.jpg

Here is the link. Just tied mine up and put in the freezer. Going to try low and slow after sear.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/simple-perfect-roast-beef-tenderloin/?browse_eid=b4bbaff8-830c-4291-95fe-7a3b20a66f49&utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=blog-CTA1&utm_content=2019-12-21&utm_campaign=Dec2019-sitewide-15off-SAT-cs&_bta_tid=32102562455476395030097811543341296499685221779768154699729239008962530170796536536067420466767512978952

BGE newbie question. I can't see to get screaming hot temps and assume it's my airflow. One cool thing I like about Egg is ability to just reuse lump that doesn't burn up in the previous cook session. However, I think it's blocking the holes and cutting down my airflow. I thought I was doing a good job of sifting the remaining charcoal around prior to the next cook and then sweeping out the ash below thru the vent/damper door. I'm probably going to invest in the charcoal basket next and remove it but in the meantime, how "clear" do the holes need to be?

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

BGE newbie question. I can't see to get screaming hot temps and assume it's my airflow. One cool thing I like about Egg is ability to just reuse lump that doesn't burn up in the previous cook session. However, I think it's blocking the holes and cutting down my airflow. I thought I was doing a good job of sifting the remaining charcoal around prior to the next cook and then sweeping out the ash below thru the vent/damper door. I'm probably going to invest in the charcoal basket next and remove it but in the meantime, how "clear" do the holes need to be?

Very clear.  I use an old paint brush to sweep it out.  Get one of these to shake out the ash before using leftover coals and it will make a huge difference.  

https://www.amazon.com/Kick-Ash-Basket-EMW8011606-Stainless/dp/B079B1W2HN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=kick+ash+basket&qid=1577373910&sr=8-3

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You might consider getting one of the after-market bottom grates that tend to provide better air flow than the one that comes with the BGE.  The other thing to try is to use less lump when you're going for higher temps.  It's counter-intuitive but I find I get better high temps when there is less lump in the BGE than when it's filled.

• Like 1

You might consider getting one of the after-market bottom grates that tend to provide better air flow than the one that comes with the BGE.  The other thing to try is to use less lump when you're going for higher temps.  It's counter-intuitive but I find I get better high temps when there is less lump in the BGE than when it's filled.

And larger pieces of lump. Small pieces burn up before they get very hot.
  • Like 2

This. Got the aftermarket grate and haven’t had an issue since.
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 9:04 AM, C-Man said:

someone needs a leaf blower.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. Going to order the Kick Ash thing later -- and will add the grill grate as well.

When it comes to lump, anybody got a favorite? Been buying Central Market's small bags because it's convenient but have noticed a lot of small pieces in the bags.

Edited by C-Man
Punctuation

Also, those of you with DigiQ systems -- any reason to get the CyberQ over the DigiQ? They're running pretty good deals on both as a Year-End Sale (DigiQ DX3 is $175 and CyberQ Cloud is $255). I'm going to get the smaller package and then add a second fan and adapter later to fit my Klose offset.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Also, those of you with DigiQ systems -- any reason to get the CyberQ over the DigiQ? They're running pretty good deals on both as a Year-End Sale (DigiQ DX3 is $175 and CyberQ Cloud is $255). I'm going to get the smaller package and then add a second fan and adapter later to fit my Klose offset.

I have the FireBoard thermometer which has 6 temperature probes paired with the BBQGuru Pit Viper Fan.  At Thankgiving I did  a turkey on my kamado and a turkey on by Weber at the same time, measured ambient temps for both grills, probed breasts and thighs on both birds, and control the temp on the kamado.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

B&B has been good to us.  The BGE brand is also good stuff, but we tend to get B&B because HEB stocks it.

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I have an older version of the CyberQ but have never set up the WiFi.

Unless you want to operate or monitor from the phone I don’t know that there is any real benefit. Do they both have the same number of food probe jacks?

Based on my research, I should probably get the CyberQ if I want to ultimately use it on Klose too. I'll need two more powerful fans to work on the Klose and will need some kind of different power supply to run multiple fans using the DigiQ.

CM was running special on Prime NY Strip for $17.99 this week so I picked up one to cook on the Egg on NYE. Based on conversations from this thread, I pulled out as much unused lump as I could and started raking the leftover ash pile. It was substantial and was definitely clogging the air intake holes. I used a small amount of lump and fired it up with the top and bottom dampers open almost all the way. That thing was humming up past 600 fairly quickly. I also ordered the Kick Ash insert as well as the stainless steel grate to replace the one that comes with the BGE. Both should be sitting on my porch right now. Thanks for all the help.

Thinking of trying a longer cook this weekend, maybe a small brisket or something.

• Like 4