Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My BGE has been out of commission for a while because the gasket burned off during some high-heat cooking.  Seems like a bitch to replace and I've been too lazy.  Any of you have done that?

get the nomex one from amazon.  takes about 30 minutes to remove/replace.  get a paint scraper to remove the old one. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My BGE has been out of commission for a while because the gasket burned off during some high-heat cooking.  Seems like a bitch to replace and I've been too lazy.  Any of you have done that?

It's easy as shit. Scrap it off and clean the rim (ask your mom about the best technique).  Install this: https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Gasket-Adhesive-Large-Kevlar/dp/B004MNW1TE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523280449&sr=8-3&keywords=high+heat+gasket+big+green+egg

It takes like 15 minutes of work. I'm going on 5 years with no issues with the replacement gasket. That includes getting it well above 800 degrees. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, South Austin said:

pretty much what the others have said. when i replaced the gasket on mine i cleaned the lip with acetone to get all the grease and rimnants of the old gasket off.  let it dry and then put the new one on. took about an hour total with letting it dry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Thanks guys.  A friend of mine said when he replaced the gasket he disassembled the lid, which seems like a big pain in the ass as I recall what a bitch it was to put together.  Did you all replace the gasket while keeping the lid assembled?

yes keep it on. there is no need to take the lid off. really wouldn't make any sense to do that unless I'm missing something. 

51 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Thanks guys.  A friend of mine said when he replaced the gasket he disassembled the lid, which seems like a big pain in the ass as I recall what a bitch it was to put together.  Did you all replace the gasket while keeping the lid assembled?

left mine assembled.  also, i just put the new on the bottom because i was being lazy.  it so much thicker than the OEM the weight of the lid seals it tight.

Best investments I got for my BGE were my Digi-Q for smoking and my most recent purchase, the blower lighter. That thing makes daily grilling much more feasible. Just hold the switch for a few seconds and you got hit burning coals. No mess, no chimneys, etc.

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

I've been running without a gasket for years since I did the same thing.  Does not affect performance in any way I can tell.  Just be careful closing the lid.

• Like 1

As far as gaskets go, they are fairly easy to replace. Although I do no several people that go without gaskets and don't seem to have many problems. 

My favorite accessory for my Big Joe is a flame boss. The wifi is simple to set up and the new ones can monitor 3 meats as well as pit temp. Plus you can change the temp or alarms from an app on your phone from anywhere at any time. Makes it a set it and forget it smoker. Stays within 5 degrees of set temp as long as it has fuel to burn. The app also keeps records of all your cooks and you can edit notes to keep track of your cooks and reference back to them. 

The Saturday before Easter I put a brisket on around 11:00 am. Temp was holding well around 260. I had a 1:30 tee time and returned home around 6:45 and the temp had barely moved. As usual, the brisket was excellent. I love my sapphire.

Texas EggFest

Wife and I both big fans of attending this--all you can eat and drink, usually 30-40 teams cooking up their best and attendees walk around eating samples. 

Plus the demonstrations are worthwhile, and you can usually snag some free rub (yes, that's what my mom said to you last night). 

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Texas EggFest

Wife and I both big fans of attending this--all you can eat and drink, usually 30-40 teams cooking up their best and attendees walk around eating samples. 

Plus the demonstrations are worthwhile, and you can usually snag some free rub (yes, that's what my mom said to you last night). 

don't they sell the eggs used there at a discount?  maybe i am making that up.

for long cooks i run the bbq stoker for fan/temp management.  I need one of those cactus burner/super torches, though.

after my platesetter broke into unusable pieces, got something like this RandB1_compact.jpg?v=1498682427 and like it a lot better.

4 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Link  to DIY instructions for a kamado bench table for those interested. You can download and print the PDF. 

The tables are handy as long as you don't do what my dad and I did. We didn't follow any specs/blueprints and built it to long so now I cant find a cover that will cover the table and egg. Kinda upsets me cause its the last thing we built together before he passed away from cancer. 

Just took delivery of an oval primo xl and did a reverse sear on some beef filet — damn this shit is legit

My dad has one of those. If I were to do it again that’s what I’d get. Much more brisket and rib friendly due to the shape.

But I love my large BGE. Dinner tonight:

a20aade826401a87b2346144929d5733.jpg
  • Like 1

The tables are handy as long as you don't do what my dad and I did. We didn't follow any specs/blueprints and built it to long so now I cant find a cover that will cover the table and egg. Kinda upsets me cause its the last thing we built together before he passed away from cancer. 

Find a local seamstress maybe?

don't they sell the eggs used there at a discount?  maybe i am making that up.
for long cooks i run the bbq stoker for fan/temp management.  I need one of those cactus burner/super torches, though.
after my platesetter broke into unusable pieces, got something like this RandB1_compact.jpg?v=1498682427 and like it a lot better.

They definitely sell the eggs used at the Atlanta Eggtoberfest, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Where did you get that plate setter rack contraption?

My dad has one of those. If I were to do it again that’s what I’d get. Much more brisket and rib friendly due to the shape.

But I love my large BGE. Dinner tonight:

a20aade826401a87b2346144929d5733.jpg

Brisket and ribs was the reason. Until someone mentioned that I was thinking BGE only. That dinner looks gooood!!

I use the stuff HEB sells--the things that look like little tumble weeds combined with three small wood stick firestarters they also sell. Just place the sticks halfway under the top layer of lump and the tumble weeds next to them and light the tumble weeds. The fire is ready in about 30 min.

3 hours ago, troph said:

Which fire starters do you use? I think I’m going to give up the chimney contraption

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I used to use the BGE starters that are little squares but i found some generic ones on Amazon.

Yup.  These little things are what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00138MO16/ref=twister_B01A9FGHFW?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Rebuilding knowledge from the other thread...

I built this a few years ago:

32667591441_b680dcc59a_c.jpg

Without the platesetter, I use it for elevated grilling:

31435789590_1a388537d6_c.jpg

With the platesetter, I use it for multilevel smoking:

31675515181_87b150a5a9_c.jpg

Also comes in handy when you break your platesetter on Christmas eve and still have to smoke a rack of pork:

31947376584_9e8cb2d231_c.jpg

Edited by solamente73
I used a 18"/Large BGE grate and it worked just fine, though you have to be a little careful closing the lid when elevated

Costco has the "Pit Boss Ceramic BBQ Grill" for $750 online, but if they happen to have them in the location near you, they are $600 in the store.

They also have a double level grill setup that allows for 662 sq. in. of total cooking area, or just under the sq. in. of the Big Green Egg XXL, which goes for $1,200.

I kind of like the idea of paying half-price.

imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=1

imageService?profileId=12026540&id=11844

https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic-BBQ-Grill.product.100378747.html

Am definitely eyeing this thing.

Edited by Napoleon

I have a Primo (BGE equivalent) and it is my go to for low and slow cooking/smoking. For Easter, smoked a store bought spiral sliced ham and there is not a single person in family that wants to have holiday ham any other way. 

That does sound good, what are the directions for smoking it like that?

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Costco has the "Pit Boss Ceramic BBQ Grill" for $750 online, but if they happen to have them in the location near you, they are $600 in the store.

https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic-BBQ-Grill.product.100378747.html

Am definitely eyeing this thing.

Buy it and report back.  With pics.  Of grill.  And food.  And wife (if applicable).

I love my BGE, but there are so many competitors now, about which I hear good things, that if anything ever happened to my egg, I'd probably have to research the hell out of a replacement.

My neighbor just bought a Kamado Joe after seeing me cook the pizzas on my Large Egg last weekend. I am going over there tonight to check it out.

I think if I had no budget, I would get an XL Primo. My Large Egg handles 90% of what I want to do though. Love the damn thing. Two pork butts going on it tomorrow for neighborhood party.

• Like 1

My neighbor just bought a Kamado Joe after seeing me cook the pizzas on my Large Egg last weekend. I am going over there tonight to check it out.

I fell in love with my now girlfriend at a house party one night when she made pizzas for 20 under string lights and a big ass cottonwood on her BGE. Sigh.

Buy it and report back.  With pics.  Of grill.  And food.  And wife (if applicable).
I love my BGE, but there are so many competitors now, about which I hear good things, that if anything ever happened to my egg, I'd probably have to research the hell out of a replacement.

I bought a pit boss from Costco a couple of years ago. Thought the same thing, that you couldn’t beat the price. Made it 3 cooks before the lid misaligned. Couldn’t get it back in place, customer support nonexistent. Eventually took it back.

The correct Costco buy is when the Kamado Joe road show comes through. Good savings on a legit brand. That’s what I did last year, and it’s a great cooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk