Special effects that weren't so special

mulletpelini

amazing-3d-wow-jaws.gif

Pretty much the whole movie's SE. 

Damnit, Jaws 3 was the first thing that came to mind. Still the only movie I’ve ever walked out on. That damn shark looked like a junior high science fair project.

Also that scene in Total Recall (which I love). Where Arnold was disguised as a woman and her head separates to reveal him. Also in same movie when they pull that tracking device from his nose, just awful effects in a great movie

The Mission is a great flick but the superimposed blood splatter whenever anyone gets shot is really, really bad. I don't know why they even bothered. Point gun, bang, person falls down, I'll conclude they got shot. Your splash of red paint added to the film in post looks cartoonish and is a distraction. 

When I was a kid, I saw Red Dawn and thought the sound of the RPG firing was the coolest sound in the world.  As an adult, seeing video of what they actually sound like always has disappointed me.

Edited by dcbc

I really like The Gauntlet with Clint Eastwood, but the helicopter crash into the power lines is terribad. You can clearly see the cut where they switch to a non-flying helo that slides along the power lines (cables) with pulleys holding it up in plain sight, then bursts into flames. Tough stunt to pull of with 70's tech, but they shot it badly.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:05 PM, Paper_jam said:

In Star Trek V, The Really Bad One, there's a scene where Kirk falls off the cliff face of El Capitan and Spock swoops in with rocket boots to save him. The bluescreen shot of Kirk falling looks like something out of Batman 1966.

Here's a video of Alex Honnold (Free Solo) breaking down climbing clips from movies.  Star Trek @ 7:00.