jimmyjazz

Neil Peart RIP

Think of all the heroes you've had in your life. You live long enough, eventually their flaws catch up with them, you outgrow them, they fall apart, some devastating reveal... The handful who somehow survive this culling are precious.

That's why old people cry when their heroes pass away. By the time you hit a certain age, there's just so few left.

Subdivisions always spoke to me. 1 because the dude in the video looked exactly like me at 15-16 when it came out.

Be cool or be cast out - totally identified with that. Never felt like I quite fit in anywhere.

Sprawling on the fringes of the city in geometric order, an insulated border- always resonated with me. Creativity, quirkiness, and personality. So often missing in the modern world.

Which makes my entire career developing residential real estate - residential subdivisions, condos, and apartments frankly kind of a struggle, though I’ve always tried my best to to it with integrity and soul. Many many times I’ve wondered if Neil would approve though.

There were others too. Dude did way more to shape my life philosophies than any religion ever did.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Subdivisions always spoke to me. 1 because the dude in the video looked exactly like me at 15-16 when it came out.

Be cool or be cast out - totally identified with that. Never felt like I quite fit in anywhere.

Sprawling on the fringes of the city in geometric order, an insulated border- always resonated with me. Creativity, quirkiness, and personality. So often missing in the modern world.

Which makes my entire career developing residential real estate - residential subdivisions, condos, and apartments frankly kind of a struggle, though I’ve always tried my best to to it with integrity and soul. Many many times I’ve wondered if Neil would approve though.

There were others too. Dude did way more to shape my life philosophies than any religion ever did.

Subdivisions covers it all.  The awkwardness of not fitting in a group, and trying to figure it all out.  For me, “Signals,” was a masterpiece.  

this sucks.  was always a fan and wore the grooves out of moving pictures, signals, exit stage left.  even had Caress of Steel.  had never seen them live and when they came to Austin on R40 at the last minute I said "I'm going".  asked my 15 yr old son if he wanted to go and he said he was going to hang out with some friends. He has an affinity for classic rock(since I forced it on him when he wanted his first ipod😊).  I begged him to go and said this might be it.  He bailed.  huge regret that I didn't put him in the car.   what a show it was.

XM Deep Tracks with Jim Ladd.  Interview with Neil Peart from 2015 on right now.

53 minutes ago, LFS said:

Jim Ladd - he of KAOS in Los Angeles.....

KLOS.   And before that, the awesome (now long gone) KMET

Sirius is trying to pull together an all-Rush channel.  They hope to have all of the legalities finished tomorrow and be up and running. 

Sirius is trying to pull together an all-Rush channel.  They hope to have all of the legalities finished tomorrow and be up and running. 

Good to hear. It’s been 27 the last few days

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

KLOS.   And before that, the awesome (now long gone) KMET

'you're listening to KAOS in los angeles' - jim ladd

spacer.png

Edited by LFS

ah.  OK.  

Jim is also the "C'mon Dave...gimme a break" voice in the VH song. 

"One break...comin' up"

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

ah.  OK.  

"One break...comin' up"

not gonna hold it against you that you didnt remember the mid 80's roger waters album about the mute in the wheelchair who starts WWIII communicating  w/ satellites in morse code he sends from his head narrated by jim ladd.

2 hours ago, LFS said:

not gonna hold it against you that you didnt remember the mid 80's roger waters album about the mute in the wheelchair who starts WWIII communicating  w/ satellites in morse code he sends from his head narrated by jim ladd.

Waters wants everyone to forget that album...

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

ah.  OK.  

"One break...comin' up"

ted templeman did the cmon Dave

Waters wants everyone to forget that album...

I have a friend who loves this album (or at least he did in high school).

If there was a Vic thread of albums that’d be a good lead off.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have a friend who loves this album (or at least he did in high school).

If there was a Vic thread of albums that’d be a good lead off.

I don't completely hate it but its not good(not a huge fan of Waters, in mulitple ways, anyway) but he loathes it.  

Why do I keep seeing that tune referred to as "Spirit of the Radio"?  It's "The Spirit of Radio".  It's right there on the back of the album.

Image result for rush permanent waves album cover back