The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Wait, that S63 costs you $8k in annual brake maintenance? Am I reading this correctly?

Indeed.  I could just replace the rotors every 2-3 years and save 6000 a year. But yes the dealer recommends you change them at same time.  

Literally pissing on money.  

edit:  they also loan me an S class free for the few days it takes to order parts etc.  Just saying it’s not worth the headache for me to go elsewhere.  I’ll go close a deal and have much less headache and make more.  Still pisses me off.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

45 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

S63 might weigh a little more than the 911. 

What does the maybach suv have that the Bentley or rolls don’t, that you are waiting for it?

I can get away with pulling up to clinics and hospitals in the maybach SUV

If it comes out and looks too gaudy ill go w the new S63

Otherwise I’d have the Rolls.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Engrish

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

Eh, I wouldn’t really trust anything an advisor says though. They’re out to make money.

Oh for sure.  Just saying unless you don’t go to the dealer that’s the process.  Replace both.  And it’s around that cost. 

I totally agree going elsewhere they likely could save a lot.  I have friends that have shops.  I’ll use them next time.  This time I’m gonna eat it.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I can get away with pulling up to clinics and hospitals in the maybach SUV

If it comes out and looks too gaudy ill go w the new S63

Otherwise I’d have the Rolls.  

Tou think the Maybach is gonna be more subtle than the Rolls? Bold strategy Cotton.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah I was just curious how they would configure it since I don't see any turn off options to shorten it from a quarter mile. Possibly could have added some asphalt since google earth took the photo.

You should make a trip to the Abu Dhabi F1 experience sometime. They basically let you run wild.

Longest straight on the course was 1250 ft.  That’s not a ton of runway especially when a good bit of that they had designated as coast and brake area. Those areas were set up waaaaaaay before the turns. 

also watched my 4th drive (2nd time) in the gt3 and saw I topped 105 in both the short outbound straight and the longer homeward bound straight.  The 105 on the outbound straight stuns me because it wasn’t that straight really and it’s not very long at all.  Hell, the long straight isn’t that long. God it was fun.  

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Actually check out the pics of the SUV.  It’s not that wild on the outside.  

https://www.motor1.com/news/370173/mercedes-maybach-gls-coming-2019/

Why not do a Sprinter and deck it out?

I’m really considering that.  You’re in my head again.  Got damn

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Actually check out the pics of the SUV.  It’s not that wild on the outside.  

https://www.motor1.com/news/370173/mercedes-maybach-gls-coming-2019/

Why not do a Sprinter and deck it out?

I’m drunk.  Double post.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Benz will always have plenty of options.  Again, gonna wait to see how it looks when I can actually option it.  May have to just keep rolling w the S63 when the new one hits.  

Yeah man, definitely not a hardship either way.

Maybachs are pretty much the most ostentatious cars I've ever come across. Granted, I've never seen the all silver Audi in person, but as far as commonly produced cars I've never seen anything close. They don't have the aristocratic sensibilities of subtlety or refinement of Rolls, or the sporting heritage of Aston or Bentley. They are just straight show. I guess you could make the case an old Baron from like Saxony would have one, but still mostly an Arab oil sheik car imo.

54 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah man, definitely not a hardship either way.

Maybachs are pretty much the most ostentatious cars I've ever come across. Granted, I've never seen the all silver Audi in person, but as far as commonly produced cars I've never seen anything close. They don't have the aristocratic sensibilities of subtlety or refinement of Rolls, or the sporting heritage of Aston or Bentley. They are just straight show. I guess you could make the case an old Baron from like Saxony would have one, but still mostly an Arab oil sheik car imo.

Yep - that’s why I never really considered the Maybach car (Vs SUV).  Looks wise you are spot on.  Just people see the Rolls name and lose their mind.  A Mercedes is just a Mercedes to most people, unless you’re a car person you’d never guess the S63 can run over 200k.  

Seeing some of these sprinter configurations though 😈

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep - that’s why I never really considered the Maybach car (Vs SUV).  Looks wise you are spot on.  Just people see the Rolls name and lose their mind.  A Mercedes is just a Mercedes to most people, unless you’re a car person you’d never guess the S63 can run over 200k.  

Seeing some of these sprinter configurations though 😈

Yeah no doubt the just seeing the name vs Rolls or whatnot will not trigger people. But looking at one in the flesh will most likely. 

On 11/1/2019 at 2:19 PM, G650 said:

Wat

Edit: I just read on and you only hit 104 with any car? How short were these straights exactly?

If you look at the map only the northern part of the track was open. The part north of the buildings with only a 1,200 foot straight. The back, or area south of the building with the very long straights wasn’t open. 

Edited by pepper brooks

Just now, pepper brooks said:

If you look at the map on the northern part of the track was open. The part north of the buildings with only a 1,200 foot straight. The back, or area south of the building with the very long straights wasn’t open. 

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. 1260 is damn near a quarter mile, which a 488 hits 135 on from a standing start, which is why I was so surprised you wouldn't be close to that rolling on from the last turn even with brake zones.

Seeing some of these sprinter configurations though
Sprinter is the way to go. More space, more customizable, more below the radar. And you can put a TV in it.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. 1260 is damn near a quarter mile, which a 488 hits 135 on from a standing start, which is why I was so surprised you wouldn't be close to that rolling on from the last turn even with brake zones.

Yeah, but the reality was they had cones set up well before the curve, and area where you were required to get off the gas, break hard, then make that right turn. I bet we only had mire like 850 feet of actual straight there.   I also noticed on the film I was getting off the gas early before the yellow cone, and breaking early. I would remedy that next time I go.  Got a bit better about that in the 911 because I knew how those breaks abs car would perform in those situations. And then just factor in the fact that I’m not that experienced on track days. I’ve done a few, but I’m far from a great driver. It appears i was a lot better than most of them at this event, but I’m not great.  The financial penalties for messing up one of their cars or failing to follow the very strict instructions such as accelerating near the yellow “get off the gas” cones keeps you from pushing it too. 

11 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Yeah, but the reality was they had cones set up well before the curve, and area where you were required to get off the gas, break hard, then make that right turn. I bet we only had mire like 850 feet of actual straight there.   I also noticed on the film I was getting off the gas early before the yellow cone, and breaking early. I would remedy that next time I go.  Got a bit better about that in the 911 because I knew how those breaks abs car would perform in those situations. And then just factor in the fact that I’m not that experienced on track days. I’ve done a few, but I’m far from a great driver. It appears i was a lot better than most of them at this event, but I’m not great.  The financial penalties for messing up one of their cars or failing to follow the very strict instructions such as accelerating near the yellow “get off the gas” cones keeps you from pushing it too. 

Oh I hear you. I'm not casting aspersions on your driving or anything, just surprised to see the speeds on those cars at the track that low.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:04 PM, TwiceHorn said:

ChiTownDoc has an S63 for a driver?  For a chauffeured car?

Fuuuuuck.  Also fuck that.  Does he work for free?

Haha, I drove for a while.  Got driver after but it’s already perfect for being driven in.  Had it tuned and did some tweaks so when I take it out I can still have some fun. 

Wife wants the GT-R now.  I was like yesssssss...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Haha, I drove for a while.  Got driver after but it’s already perfect for being driven in.  Had it tuned and did some tweaks so when I take it out I can still have some fun. 

Wife wants the GT-R now.  I was like yesssssss...

don't do it!  seems everyone who drove that thing at track day resigned it to POS status.  I didn't drive it, but I did pass it a few times in the other cars 😉

17 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

don't do it!  seems everyone who drove that thing at track day resigned it to POS status.  I didn't drive it, but I did pass it a few times in the other cars 😉

It’s her toy lol.  She doesn’t care to race it.  I’m just glad she doesn’t want an SUV.  Ha

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. drove a GTR at the track, here in Cresson. I love them, but he said it was a dog on the track, the turbos are real susceptible to heat soak, he was about the third person to run hot laps in it that afternoon.

CHIEF

consistent complaint I heard at our track day was it handled like a pick up truck and was definitely slow around the track.  granted it was up against a Ferrari 488 GB, Lambo Huracan, McClaren 720 and 911 GT3.  seeing it get slaughtered live the way it did was surprising to me.