The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This kid just went to work for a new electric adventure car co. Rivian,  an off road vehicle set up for living on the road or the mountains.  He's gonna be designing their battery /electric storage system.

Well at least he didn't design the front of the vehicle.  Looks like it would make a great short bus.  

R1-S-R1-T-Colorado-Jan2019-lg.jpg

On 10/11/2019 at 10:48 PM, TwiceHorn said:

And what's absurd about that, is, a whole hell of a lot of people don't pay the damn things off.  They roll the balance into another note. 

For a brief period I did some consumer bankruptcy stuff and the car note idiocy was astonishing.

that and the cable bills.  ho lee fuk

On 10/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

He's gonna be designing their battery /electric storage system.

From what little I've read, there's a lot to be intrigued about when it comes to an electric pickup (monster acceleration, tons of torque, lots of storage space, all kinds of device charging ability, fantastic towing capability, etc., etc.), but the one thing that really worries the off-road inclined commentators is the fact that the battery components are all located down low . . . close to the road, the dust, the dirt, the rocks, the WATER, etc.  So the housing for the battery/electric system had better be impregnable or there will be problems with taking that vehicle off-road.  

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

From what little I've read, there's a lot to be intrigued about when it comes to an electric pickup (monster acceleration, tons of torque, lots of storage space, all kinds of device charging ability, fantastic towing capability, etc., etc.), but the one thing that really worries the off-road inclined commentators is the fact that the battery components are all located down low . . . close to the road, the dust, the dirt, the rocks, the WATER, etc.  So the housing for the battery/electric system had better be impregnable or there will be problems with taking that vehicle off-road.  

But if they figure that out, the low COG will be great for offroading.

Did not run through all 50 pages of thread. Have test drove all models of Tesla except the model 3.

I really like the X and think I’m getting close to pulling the trigger. For those that own, is there a radical difference between the option of performance or longer drive time? I’m an old now and don’t need to go from 0-60 in sub three seconds...however...I can be talked into it if the users here believe it’s worth it. I like longer range on the vehicle which is why I’m asking.

Also, for the owners of Tesla...do you have the large charging station installed in your garage?

13 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I still can’t do a totally EV off-road vehicle. I’m all about a hybrid, though.

A lot of construction and mining equipment is electric. They have small diesel motors, but they aren't what you would consider hybrid. More like EVs that carry their own charging plants.

12 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Did not run through all 50 pages of thread. Have test drove all models of Tesla except the model 3.

I really like the X and think I’m getting close to pulling the trigger. For those that own, is there a radical difference between the option of performance or longer drive time? I’m an old now and don’t need to go from 0-60 in sub three seconds...however...I can be talked into it if the users here believe it’s worth it. I like longer range on the vehicle which is why I’m asking.

Also, for the owners of Tesla...do you have the large charging station installed in your garage?

Don't know about the X, but the 3 has artificially inflated gap with the performance trim.  Their 0-60 figure includes 5ft rollout , whereas other trim do not. 

Also it's speculated the trims have identical motors, with the software unlocking more power (but mostly in lower rev range). 

And because transmission is single forward gear, rev are matched to road speed linearly, it all means 2 things: (1) 0-60 performance is closer than on paper (2) 50-100+ performance is basically identical

Battery capacity is a real difference though.  And particularly if you live in cold climate, it's nice to have the extra buffer to account for the drop in climate-affected range.

Fuck its fun to drive. Even at 80mph it will put your head into the headrest getting to 100+. And I've been taking it easy, not slamming the accelerator to the floor. Breaking it in before I try out launch mode.

Not going to go with the tune just yet. Need to race against my boss with his Porsche 911 Turbo (I will lose, but probably not embarrassed) and another co-workers Jaguar F-Type (will be close).

Since the engine is the same as the 850i, here's what I've found as far as potential performance upgrades. Pretty significant increase in HP and torque.

https://www.motor1.com/news/302694/g-power-bmw-m850i/

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/04/29/video-br-performance-tune-takes-bmw-m850i-xdrive-to-680-hp/

https://carbuzz.com/news/modified-bmw-m850i-packs-more-power-than-m8-competition

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Fuck its fun to drive. Even at 80mph it will put your head into the headrest getting to 100+. And I've been taking it easy, not slamming the accelerator to the floor. Breaking it in before I try out launch mode.

Not going to go with the tune just yet. Need to race against my boss with his Porsche 911 Turbo (I will lose, but probably not embarrassed) and another co-workers Jaguar F-Type (will be close).

Since the engine is the same as the 850i, here's what I've found as far as potential performance upgrades. Pretty significant increase in HP and torque.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/04/29/video-br-performance-tune-takes-bmw-m850i-xdrive-to-680-hp/

https://carbuzz.com/news/modified-bmw-m850i-packs-more-power-than-m8-competition

be forewarned if you put it to the floor you may experience it shut down power to a number of the cylinders and lurch like a bucking bull until you shut it off for a while.  Great color, and great looking car.  That V8 is addictive for sure.  

Edited by pepper brooks

3 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Researching the cost of new turbos is what dissuaded me from a tune.  Not that I need one anyway.

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

True, but everyone wants to go faster.  That said, I think I've found my limit as far as how fast I want a car that I drive on the street.  I've yet to find a situation where I do not have enough power.

yeah dude, unless you are racing on tracks, there is absolutely no need for more power than what a stock m850 delivers.

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

True, but everyone wants to go faster.   

Eh, I'm not sure about that is entirely accurate. In theory yeah, but people discount the 'in control' bit. I've built some motors pushing the 1400bhp mark that are essentially useless for the vast majority of drivers and would frankly scare the shit out of them. Everyone feels like they want to go faster until they cross that very fine line to too fast and then it's PTSD every time you are behind the wheel.

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Eh, I'm not sure about that is entirely accurate. In theory yeah, but people discount the 'in control' bit. I've built some motors pushing the 1400bhp mark that are essentially useless for the vast majority of drivers and would frankly scare the shit out of them. Everyone feels like they want to go faster until they cross that very fine line to too fast and then it's PTSD every time you are behind the wheel.

True.  They want to go faster until they hit that point.

My wife used to think my car was too fast for her.  Then, a few weeks ago I took her SUV and the kids and we went on a road trip with my dad for 6 days.  When we got back, we were going somewhere in my car and out of the blue she said "I love driving your car".  Uh, oh.

Edited by Chewbacca

Researching the cost of new turbos is what dissuaded me from a tune.  Not that I need one anyway.

The turbos are a practical bargain, considering SRM makes a cartridge section and compressor cover that drops in. It's having to spend the same amount of money on downpipes and again in labor to get it all buttoned up that's frustrating.

I have a friend at SRM who's writing their tunes now. You should see what our cars are capable of on E85.

Then again, it now takes a Stage-2 RS7 to keep up with a M5 Comp and a flash to the Bimmer results in low 10s, nothing else needed.

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

And/or a pranged ride.

2 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

The turbos are a practical bargain, considering SRM makes a cartridge section and compressor cover that drops in. It's having to spend the same amount of money on downpipes and again in labor to get it all buttoned up that's frustrating.

I have a friend at SRM who's writing their tunes now. You should see what our cars are capable of on E85.

Then again, it now takes a Stage-2 RS7 to keep up with a M5 Comp and a flash to the Bimmer results in low 10s, nothing else needed.

Yeah, these cars can put down some ridiculous numbers.  I was really only considering an APR Stage I tune.  Didn't want to go nuts.  But the cost of replacing turbos (quoted at around $8k from my indie shop - same guy that would be doing the tune) made the decision for me.  Faster would be fun, but like I said, I've yet to run into a situation where I didn't have enough power, unless you count the one time I was going up I-70 behind an E63s and couldn't keep up when he opened it up.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:52 AM, Chewbacca said:

We will be there in a couple months.  Definitely doing Porsche museum as well as Mercedes museum.  

For any of the automakers, book really early if you want to get a factory tour, most of them are fully booked months to years out, but you can sometimes catch a late cancellation.

4 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

For any of the automakers, book really early if you want to get a factory tour, most of them are fully booked months to years out, but you can sometimes catch a late cancellation.

1) I looked yesterday for shits and grins and Mercedes has halted their tours indefinitely while they retool for a new suv

2) Kids under 12 (or 12 and under) aren’t allowed on the Porsche tour. 

Just some relevant info. 

I saw an rs4 wagon the other day in Zürich, is that what is coming to America?

I like speed, but I don't need to be flying by everyone for a thrill. I like the acceleration of speed, and the quickness/responsiveness that speed is achieved under my foot.  Mostly it's the power available thing I think I like the most.  

That's what blew my mind in the Tesla. High speed was achieved so effortlessly, and you could feel the power as it pinned you back against your seat. The only other car I've felt that same sensation was in a 427 Cobra I got to drive several years back.  Even my dads old go cart sized, 240 Z didn't have the power, and speed combination the Tesla had.

That spare dash though, not a fan, not a fan at all.

Speaking of wagons, Jaguar apparently gave up on the XF version in the US after one year and they're listed for $25K off sticker at some dealers. Still about $10K more than we wanted to spend. I do love me some low production orphan cars though so it was tempting.

Had we found a low mileage V90, I think we would have pulled the trigger. We were under a time crunch and nearly all of them required a one way plane ticket to go look at.