The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Anybody have or know somebody who has the new Chevy/GMC 1500 diesel truck?  

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/jul/0725-silverado.html

23 city / 29 highway sounds good for not towing, and I actually do drag trailers a lot between September and March. 

anyone watching "Fastest Car" on Netflix?  Pretty cool show.  Season 2 is out there now.  For those not in the know the show pits 3 home made drag cars against a super car.  It's funny to see how the home racer people react to the "rich guy".  the "rich people" have been all over the map.  Episode 1 the rich guy is a total douchebag of epic proportions and a total dick.  All he does is crow on and on and on about how rich he is, and how much all his $hit cost and anyone not rich is a loser.  Episode 2 and 3 were my favorites.  Rich guy number 2 was pretty cool and definitely approachable.  RIch guy 3 was "redneck with money" guy, and he was awesome.  The 3 street racer guys definitely liked him, and he was basically "one of them".  Rich guy 4, was a hot blonde chick who owns a car performance shop in LA.  She was pretty cool too.  Haven't watched the last 3 episodes yet, but its a pretty fun show.  These home made dragster folks build some incredible performance with the resources they have.  Most of the rich people with the super cars cannot drive them at all.  Out of the 4 episodes I have seen only 2 of the supercars were driven to their capabilities, and honestly one of them didn't really do that either.  None of them know how to properly work their launch control.  Actually, one of them does.  anyway, check it out.  it's fun.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

These home made dragster folks build some incredible performance with the resources they have. 

Is the show just drag racing? If so then that makes sense, it takes pretty basic knowledge to build a drag car that will exceed the capabilities of pretty much any driver.

If the have to actually turn, then hooboy, different story.

Sounds fun though.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Is the show just drag racing? If so then that makes sense, it takes pretty basic knowledge to build a drag car that will exceed the capabilities of pretty much any driver.

If the have to actually turn, then hooboy, different story.

Sounds fun though.

And you're right about a track.  Zero shot any of these cars keep up with a super car around a track with a turn.  Funny moment in ep 2 is at the end the rich guy, Iranian real estate mogul, at the end says, "I have a new appreciation for sheet boxes", which is the term for all these homemade cars.  he didn't say it with any malice, but with proper deference to these beat up homemade cars cranking out 1,000 HP.  

2 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Funny moment in ep 2 is at the end the rich guy, Iranian real estate mogul, at the end says, "I have a new appreciation for sheet boxes", which is the term for all these homemade cars

Lol. I like that guy

Any reasonably mechanically inclined person with access to a machine shop can build a 1000hp motor without too much fuss. Usually it's the car's chassis' that are the weak point and you have to dial the motor back.

I just bought a new 2019 Honda Civic EX coupe. This little car has an electronic display for the dashboard instruments & gauges with different interfaces. For god’s sake, it is a chore reading the manual to figure out how to set the regular cruise control.... and even the damned trip odometer.

The electronic display for the satellite radio is still a total mystery to me even though the salesperson walked me through it.

At least the tiny 1.5 liter 4 banger is turbocharged and is pretty zippy. Supposedly it can do 0-60 in 6.8 seconds with the economy mode turned off. Quite an improvement from my old ‘74 MGB and 2000 Cherokee. And I can operate the A/C okay.

Think I like this little car.

Edited by Armybrat

Went to a dealer today to buy a car for my daughter...  what a fucking beating.   I know their game, and knew it would suck, but I just couldn't stand even dealing with the sleazy bastards.  It only took 10 mins for me to go through 3 "managers" before I just got up and left with two of them trailing after me.   

Like my dad says, "when you wrestle with pigs in shit, just remember the pig likes it"

I'm just going to go through a broker.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I just bought a new 2019 Honda Civic EX coupe. This little car has an electronic display for the dashboard instruments & gauges with different interfaces. For god’s sake, it is a chore reading the manual to figure out how to set the regular cruise control.... and even the damned trip odometer.

The electronic display for the satellite radio is still a total mystery to me even though the salesperson walked me through it.

At least the tiny 1.5 liter 4 banger is turbocharged and is pretty zippy. Supposedly it can do 0-60 in 6.8 seconds with the economy mode turned off. Quite an improvement from my old ‘74 MGB and 2000 Cherokee. And I can operate the A/C okay.

Think I like this little car.

Honda/Acura infotainment systems are a shit show although the Civic got some actual hard buttons and a volume knob for 2019.

Wife's MDX has information spread across 2 fucking screens. I love the car but simple stuff like changing the station, changing the temp and using the navigation is 737 MAX-level convoluted.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Went to a dealer today to buy a car for my daughter...  what a fucking beating.   I know their game, and knew it would suck, but I just couldn't stand even dealing with the sleazy bastards.  It only took 10 mins for me to go through 3 "managers" before I just got up and left with two of them trailing after me.   

Like my dad says, "when you wrestle with pigs in shit, just remember the pig likes it"

Cars.com bro. It's a car that a teen is gonna trash

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Cars.com bro. It's a car that a teen is gonna trash

Yeah, That's where it all goes down hill. 

Example ...  mainline Honda Dealer (not your average lot lizards)  Clean carfax, low mileage local car, great consistent service record, desired trim and color

Certified Pre-owned car listed for $100 

Dealer fee: $10

Tag/reg: $10

Total $120

All confirmed up front.   So I'm in the ball park.  I am completely ready to just go in and pay $120 + tax   But I have to be true to my Scottish heritage...  Plus I did fleet work way back in the day...  I've done this dance before.

Took my kids, showed them how to check out a car  Tire wear, paint overspray / orange peel / body panel gaps / etc...

I test drive/check it out.

make a list of shit to be fixed (not much 1 window gasket and a few little pieces)  Car looked MINT 

Walk in and await some pending sale BS: was not disappointed

Dealer:

Certified Pre-owned car listed for $100 

Accessories: $50  (The car had none)

Electronic file fee $25

Administrative fee $15

Certified vehicle fee $10 

Dealer fee: $10

Tag/reg: $10

Total $220  (real life numbers this was +20% higher than listed plus stated fees)

And here is the kicker...  "oh that's not a certified car...   but they have to charge the fee"... There are no added accessories on the car at all, it's bone stock for the vehicle trim... "Oh, That's for the inspection we preform" etc....

The problem is that this was their Bait and Switch car...  I knew it was a very good deal even with the standard BS... But it's quarter end and some dealers will be hungry.  They tried to pull out all the stops and I was trying to just get the cheese out of the trap.   It's just exhausting dealing with these types and as soon as they ran out of excuses the mysterious "Head Manager" just made it clear they wouldn't sell the car below $215 and I was at $100...  so I just walked out with them following behind.  They have my number but I'll never hear from them again.  I just ended up wasting my time...  

1 hour ago, Loco said:

We have the opposite problem.  I write my sales guy: I want any car matching these specs: xxx yyy zzz.  It takes him a few days before he says "go on the website and configure it as new order".

I configure it a custom order with deposit paid.  No response.  A week later I see online inventory listing one as I want it - with assigned VIN and everything.  I pay second deposit for that one as well.  No response.

2 weeks on, I visit him in person.  "Oh, sorry, that car doesnt exist, it shouldn't have been on the website.  Everything we have now is white interior, so I suggest you maintain your original custom order (with black interior)".  Over the weekend a white-interior vehicle pops up in inventory that I'll accept.  I email the dude to say I'll take it, payable in cash (rather than placing now a 3rd order under my name).  This morning he says the car is gone.

Like these dudes are the soup nazi of automobiles

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

We have the opposite problem.  I write my sales guy: I want any car matching these specs: xxx yyy zzz.  It takes him a few days before he says "go on the website and configure it as new order".

I configure it a custom order with deposit paid.  No response.  A week later I see online inventory listing one as I want it - with assigned VIN and everything.  I pay second deposit for that one as well.  No response.

2 weeks on, I visit him in person.  "Oh, sorry, that car doesnt exist, it shouldn't have been on the website.  Everything we have now is white interior, so I suggest you maintain your original custom order (with black interior)".  Over the weekend a white-interior vehicle pops up in inventory that I'll accept.  I email the dude to say I'll take it, payable in cash (rather than placing now a 3rd order under my name).  This morning he says the car is gone.

Like these dudes are the soup nazi of automobiles

Hot cars are a huge asset.  They used your deposit to expand their allocation.  They are long stroking you...  Can you feel it Mr Krabs?

Straight out of college I worked for a large car rental whose name sake is in Texas....  That was spec'ing and buying cars and placing orders through dealer codes directly with the Manufacturer. 100's of thousands of cars.  Later before I left the car industry I wasn't in the corporate building and for a year or so I had an office in a VERY large national branded dealer but had NOTHING to do with the day to day operations.  Oh the shit they brag about in the lunch room...  But it's truly Darwin's waiting room.  Sell x to keep your job, sell x+y to make a little money, sell x+y+z to make real money...  so anyway , one day a guy gets knifed in the hall way behind my office over half a commission on a car...  And I thought, jesus christ Loco, nothing is worth this shit.  I finished up some projects and gtfo.

• Like 2

I would say a clear wrap is absolutely worth it if the car is chip free and you want to keep it that way. I have 3M on the front of mine, but would probably go Xpel next time just because I've read good things about it. I think you can find authorized installers through Xpels website.

Not sure about the ceramic coating being worth the money. I DIY'd Opticoat on my old car and was impressed, but that cost me $50 and a weekend of detailing. I wouldn't pay two grand for it even if the pro version is better.

44 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Is vinyl wrap or ceramic coating worth the money? If so, any recommendations?

Check out the Tesla forums.   Tesla paint is super soft and those guys have spent a lot of time on this sort of thing.   Most are doing ppl & ceramic.   

Some paint hardness tests on model 3s is showing softer than pencil lead....then Tesla went out and bought a Detroit paint company...   imho nothing beats vw paint...  so good

I would say a clear wrap is absolutely worth it if the car is chip free and you want to keep it that way. I have 3M on the front of mine, but would probably go Xpel next time just because I've read good things about it. I think you can find authorized installers through Xpels website.
Not sure about the ceramic coating being worth the money. I DIY'd Opticoat on my old car and was impressed, but that cost me $50 and a weekend of detailing. I wouldn't pay two grand for it even if the pro version is better.
I'll check it out. I'm assuming it doesn't cause any issues with washing and detailing the car? Any issues if i drop it off at the dealer and they want it, do i need to make them aware?

The show i watched did pretty much the entire exposed/front area on the car. Is it worth that or just doing the front bra area?

13 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I'll check it out. I'm assuming it doesn't cause any issues with washing and detailing the car? Any issues if i drop it off at the dealer and they want it, do i need to make them aware?

The show i watched did pretty much the entire exposed/front area on the car. Is it worth that or just doing the front bra area?

No issues at all with mine when washing or detailing. It still cleans up like the day it was installed three years ago. My car spends most of the time in a garage, but it's definitely a daily driver and gets filthy. Good detailers will know it's there.

Some get the whole damn thing wrapped, but I don't really see the point in doing the doors or rear. Right now I have the front bumper, front portion of the fenders and hood, mirror caps, and trunk lip done. I only have one spot where a rock dinged it, but it looks like it protected the paint underneath.

Mine was a precut pattern so it's not wrapped over the edges which leaves them exposed. If I had it to do over I'd have them wrap the edges and might do the whole hood just to be safe. I'd also do the rocker panels where your feet hit when getting in and out. Front part of the roof can also get chips, but probably not really necessary.

18 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Is vinyl wrap or ceramic coating worth the money? If so, any recommendations?

I've got clear on the front, I think it's worth it there. We did the ceramic coating on a power boat and sailboat. It was good for those but can't speak to on cars.

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

I've also heard that you shouldn't have the dealer detail the car people because they don't do a good job. Just have it transported to the shop to get it detailed and wrapped.

Yes. I didn't even let them wash it when I picked it up from the dealer. They thought I was nuts.

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

First I’ve heard of this “wrap”.

What does it cover, how durable, and does it yellow/deteriorate with age.

I would be hesitant after the aftermarket tinted window craze of the 1980s. That was a fiasco from personal experience and observation.

You can literally wrap the entire car in it if you're willing to spend the money. It's just a clear film to protect from minor rock chips. Most only get the front parts of the car done. 3M and Xpel are the most common brands. At least some of the older versions will yellow if out in the sun all the time, but they have gotten better so that may not even be an issue like it once was. Mine is on a white car, garaged at home and work and hasn't yellowed at all.

Edited by Okie State

Cab

Well, I'm still in the market, got a broker to call the dealership and it was a good news bad news deal...  the car is officially a certified pre-owned(evidently once they go through the process, it's a done deal, kinda makes sense) but the broker's inside guy came back $400 over the price I walked out on.  Perhaps that's the delta from a sale last Q and now.   I guess they just don't want to recognize the loss yet.   But those boys are playing with Fire, the next Gens are going to start coming off lease AND there is a mid series sheet metal refresh that's going to hit the lots any day now.  I figured with all that piling up on them they would have been a lot hungrier... or perhaps less knuckle headed.  

On to the next... and perhaps a trip up to Florida's taint for an up coming auction...  that would be fun, but I'd prefer to snipe a car someone else did all the reconditioning on.

/csb

You can literally wrap the entire car in it if you're willing to spend the money. It's just a clear film to protect from minor rock chips. Most only get the front parts of the car done. 3M and Xpel are the most common brands. At least some of the older versions will yellow if out in the sun all the time, but they have gotten better so that may not even be an issue like it once was. Mine is on a white car, garaged at home and work and hasn't yellowed at all.
So i know you can wrap with different colors but do they make one that just makes the original color/finish look matte?

4 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:
1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Read more  

So i know you can wrap with different colors but do they make one that just makes the original color/finish look matte?

They do. Google Xpel Stealth clear matte film and there's a video of them wrapping an M2.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:52 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Tweet has been deleted and the account suddenly privatized, but it was allegedly a balcony photo of Roquan Smith's Ferrari (488?) convertible, crashed a quarter of the front end into a parked car. 

Ha.  An acquaintance totaled his Lambo into a cop car last month.  Totaled both and left scene on foot.  

Cops showed up to his condo and kindly wrote him a ticket.  He seems like he might be connected to someone.  

I’d be purple and blue in a jail cell.  Or dead.  

Ha.  An acquaintance totaled his Lambo into a cop car last month.  Totaled both and left scene on foot.  

Cops showed up to his condo and kindly wrote him a ticket.  He seems like he might be connected to someone.  

I’d be purple and blue in a jail cell.  Or dead.  
Chicago.

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Has anyone been to or driven at COTA in Austin? I've been wanting to track my car there but I have no clue what to do.

Yes, a lot.  If you just want to a Drivers Education event, there are a lot of companies that rent out the track for the weekend (it's 50k I think) and then you sign up with them for usually anywhere from 1-3 days.  I think it runs 500ish per day.  They will also set you up in run groups ranging from expierenced to non and you will need an instructor in the car (they provide) until they feel comfortable.  check out www.thedriversedge.net; www.edgeaddicts.com or PCA has events there and think a few of the other manufacturers do as well.

• Like 1