The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, Buzzrock said:

Not new, not classic, but looks like a fun weekend cruiser. And the humidity has been low for a couple days in Atlanta so everyone is going topless.

eac1727489fce6b83269b8d9a1e08a0d.jpg

I need to figure out what I’m going to do with my Mustang convertible.

the 355 is one of, if not their best looking modern car.  It wasn't really very fast, but aesthetically it has held up much better than many of their designs that look pretty awkward and dated (thinking the testarossa's)

3 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I had to drive out to Hunt, TX yesterday.  On the way home I got a message to add a quart of oil.  no big deal.  That is something I have to so every 5k-7K miles or so, and has been the case in every Porsche I have owned.  I pulled into Luv's in Boerne to get some oil, go to pull the hood latch, and the damn thing basically disintegrated in my hand.  I have always thought that handle was a POS, and honestly I wondered how it was so poorly done in both CAyenne and Panamera cars when in the 911 it is an electronic release button which works great unless your battery is dead.  In both cayenne and panameras it's a plastic handle you pull, but my god it is like 1980's Hyundai level quality.  Anyway, the quart low message stated, "okay to continue" so I made it back.  Took the thing in this morning to get a new hood release handle and a quart of oil.  Pain in the ass.  Those of you who have owned a 997 version of the 911 will understand when I say the hood release handle in the Cayenne and Panamera is the same quality as the 997 cup holder.  

My favorite thing about the 997 cup holder wasn’t even the poor build quality. It was the articulation of the arm to position it right above the PCM so your favorite iced beverages would drip tons of condensation on your delicate electronics. Super awesome!

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

the 355 is one of, if not their best looking modern car.  It wasn't really very fast, but aesthetically it has held up much better than many of their designs that look pretty awkward and dated (thinking the testarossa's)

How much fun was that Ferrari video game?  Where you got to row the gears in the metal box. Fuck I’m old. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

How much fun was that Ferrari video game?  Where you got to row the gears in the metal box. Fuck I’m old. 

yup.  and it had extremely realistic (especially for its time) sim-mode physics. 

though have you seen how sophisticated home-built racing simulators are now?  they look insane and , of course , could be equipped with gated shifter

On 7/28/2019 at 11:55 AM, Gravy Train said:

Cooling components too, especially the E36 and E46 water pumps and brittle plastics, from radiator unions to reservoir bottles. Seems a cooling system overhaul was common maintenance for cars beyond 60k miles.

Yep. Just did mine for an E36 M3 after 80k.  Also steering hoses and suspension.

Put it up prelim on BAT a month ago and backed out.  Best car I've ever owned, I can't part with it.  Plus, need to teach my kids how to drive stick.

• Like 1

The BMW saga continues. 

So previous time I dropped the car off, due to actual fucking failure, I asked about a loaner vehicle but they instead offered to rent cars out to me.  I had to email back and forth a few times to remind them of the BMW Mobile Care or whatever the fuck package entitling me to a complimentary loaner.  Especially because it's a warranty issue.

The car came back with a broken handbrake.  (How the tech dropped off the car in that condition, without noticing, is still a mystery to me.)

2 business days gone by and the original service advisor didn't respond to my email alerting her of that fact.  I had to play phone-chase to reach her colleague who scheduled an appointment.... this Thursday.

He was kind enough to offer a choice of (a) public transport day passes (b) 10 eur taxi voucher  or (b) 30-minute car sharing voucher.

I should be incensed at this moment -- especially with possibility car might be held over the weekend.  But I cant even play outrage since this probably wont be the last time I'll have to deal with these folks.  Going ragequit wont be beneficial for the long game...

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This thread reminds me that even though I like BMW, don’t get a BMW.   I’ve thought about keeping the truck for towing duties and trying a 5 series in the next few years. Nope. Car fanatic thread brings me back to reality. 

I'm the opposite. I dont like BMW, but I would totally recommend them.

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So i assume the no loaner car is a European thing? I've never owned a BMW, but have never had an issue getting a loaner at Audi or Infiniti.

the loaner vehicle is part of roadside assistance coverage outlined in the corporate website, still covering my car (which today is 3 years old). 

they do offer for-pay rentals, but that's clearly for non-qualifying scenarios such as old cars or optional service.  for warranty/defect issues on a luxury brand, it's a no-brainer. 

their saving grace is the dude who sold my car is a consummate professional (i ask him stuff from time to time).  and everyone else has been cordial on the surface, even if the outcome is dysfunctional.  this compared to renault where it was like dealing with a used car lot.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

I’ve had no issue getting a loaner when I take the wife’s BMW in for service. Getting the air bag recall, oil change and whatever else needs done tomorrow morning. I like BMW.

Yeah, but 5150 lives in Vatican City or some shit. Their dealers operate differently than here... 

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The BMW saga continues. 

So previous time I dropped the car off, due to actual fucking failure, I asked about a loaner vehicle but they instead offered to rent cars out to me.  I had to email back and forth a few times to remind them of the BMW Mobile Care or whatever the fuck package entitling me to a complimentary loaner.  Especially because it's a warranty issue.

The car came back with a broken handbrake.  (How the tech dropped off the car in that condition, without noticing, is still a mystery to me.)

2 business days gone by and the original service advisor didn't respond to my email alerting her of that fact.  I had to play phone-chase to reach her colleague who scheduled an appointment.... this Thursday.

He was kind enough to offer a choice of (a) public transport day passes (b) 10 eur taxi voucher  or (b) 30-minute car sharing voucher.

I should be incensed at this moment -- especially with possibility car might be held over the weekend.  But I cant even play outrage since this probably wont be the last time I'll have to deal with these folks.  Going ragequit wont be beneficial for the long game...

I’m not shocked. I was treated like an airline customer when dealing with my shit rocket.  Sorry to hear you’re dealing with the same kind of shit. 

45 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone here daily drive a 911?  Considering selling the Audi and getting a 911 since I work from home don't drive all that much anymore.  Probably looking at a late 997 or early 991 C4S.  

I did it with my 2005 Carrera S for about 10 years. I still have the car but it’s not my daily anymore, although I still drive it at least 3 days a week. The car is about to turn 15, and i have zero desire to exchange it(although that new corvette makes me think a bit). Every time I get in my 911 I still love it. It feels special, like driving it is a special event.  This damn car has engrained itself in my dna.  I truly love the thing. Aside from replacing a water pump the thing has never spent a day in the shop.  After my original factory warranty ran out I bought a 4 year way care warranty and it was the highest waste of money ever. I never used it. They’re amazing vehicle, tough as tanks, reliable and just freaking awesome. It’s been so awesome my wife now won’t drive anything else, and my current daily driver is another of their vehicles (panamera Gts). Do it. You won’t regret it. That said, if the 991 is a possibility always get the newest version you can afford. Good luck, and of course, we will need pictures. 

• Like 2

i am just hoping all this cathartic release over horrific bmw experiences that this thread has essentially become at this point is some sort of universe balancing act that is to my benefit.  i had my 2008 e92 for 8 years and only had one single issue (the water pump issue that every single one of them had at 80k that they honestly should have done a recall on) the entire time including never having a single problem dealing with service/getting a loaner at service time/etc...  a week in now with the new ride and it's been great so far.

hopefully i can continue to keep an equilibrium on all of your horrible experiences.  lord knows i sure as fuck paid for someone's good karma in dealing with shit ass range rover.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sidis said:

i am just hoping all this cathartic release over horrific bmw experiences that this thread has essentially become at this point is some sort of universe balancing act that is to my benefit.  i had my 2008 e92 for 8 years and only had one single issue (the water pump issue that every single one of them had at 80k that they honestly should have done a recall on) the entire time including never having a single problem dealing with service/getting a loaner at service time/etc...  a week in now with the new ride and it's been great so far.

hopefully i can continue to keep an equilibrium on all of your horrible experiences.  lord knows i sure as fuck paid for someone's good karma in dealing with shit ass range rover.

*That’s the normal Range Rover/Land Rover experience, your karma account has not increased or decreased as a result.

*this statement does not apply to Defenders.

• Like 1

i am just hoping all this cathartic release over horrific bmw experiences that this thread has essentially become at this point is some sort of universe balancing act that is to my benefit.  i had my 2008 e92 for 8 years and only had one single issue (the water pump issue that every single one of them had at 80k that they honestly should have done a recall on) the entire time including never having a single problem dealing with service/getting a loaner at service time/etc... 

That must have been a 328i, amirite?

Signed, former N54 owner.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

Eh, my last X5 had almost nothing wrong in 200k miles. One blower motor, one lift gate motor. Did the valve seals right before I sold it. That's all.

20 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

And bit by the BMW bug.

BMW broken
needs all 6 ignition coils and a software update. Both will fix the misfiring issue.

Tech stated vehicle is leaking from valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket leaking on belts and belt tensioner

Yippie

Sheeeit. what vehicle/year?

On 7/30/2019 at 6:37 PM, pepper brooks said:

I did it with my 2005 Carrera S for about 10 years. I still have the car but it’s not my daily anymore, although I still drive it at least 3 days a week. The car is about to turn 15, and i have zero desire to exchange it(although that new corvette makes me think a bit). Every time I get in my 911 I still love it. It feels special, like driving it is a special event.  This damn car has engrained itself in my dna.  I truly love the thing. Aside from replacing a water pump the thing has never spent a day in the shop.  After my original factory warranty ran out I bought a 4 year way care warranty and it was the highest waste of money ever. I never used it. They’re amazing vehicle, tough as tanks, reliable and just freaking awesome. It’s been so awesome my wife now won’t drive anything else, and my current daily driver is another of their vehicles (panamera Gts). Do it. You won’t regret it. That said, if the 991 is a possibility always get the newest version you can afford. Good luck, and of course, we will need pictures. 

How prevalent are the IMS issues in the 997.1 cars?  Looking around rennlist and the rest of the interwebs, it seems like it's less prevalent than in the 996, but it's also not something you can preventatively fix.  You're either good, or you grenade your engine and pay $20k to replace.  I would lean towards a 997.2 to avoid that, but those are still holding in the same price range as the 997.1 turbos, which do not have the IMS issue, and I'd rather have one of those over a regular 911.  I'm trying to be responsible and get my Porsche, dammit.

Always the dilemma.  I personally do not know anyone who has had the IMS failure, and I know a whole bunch of people who have had 997's.  Obviously, it is an issue and is a pretty well known one as is the rear main seal leaking.  I have been lucky so far that mine is in tact.  If it was in my price range I would with a 997.2 Carrera S or Turbo.  Give you a bit of peace of mind.  Otherwise, I would try and find a higher mile 997.1.  If it has been driven chances are if the IMS was going to fail it would have done so by 50k+ miles.  watch me say that and mine will take a shit on the way home today.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Pretty impressive record for owning an e92 M3 for such a long term, given the typical things others went through, like rod bearings, peeling interior plastics, rough M-DCT shifting, worn and open differential clutch pack and projector headlights stuck in high/low beam. 

you know, now that you remind me, i remember now i did have the rod bearing switched out once but it was more preventive.  i didn't rev the fuck out of it cold ever.  interior was baby'd pretty good so no issues there.  no issues with lights or shifting/clutch.  thing looked brand new when i sold it but then again, i am an obsessive compulsive clean freak.

17 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

2014 X6. It’s paid for, so, gonna fix it and keep going. See if we can get 100k out of it without more issues. Try and get rid of it middle to late next year.

Shit, I've put 100k on mine in a year and a half.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 6:45 PM, Chewbacca said:

Anyone here daily drive a 911?  Considering selling the Audi and getting a 911 since I work from home don't drive all that much anymore.  Probably looking at a late 997 or early 991 C4S.  

Oh yeah.  For about 9 months. In Chicago.  Was the 911 Turbo S.  Amazing daily driver imo.  RIP

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Spent the week in Colorado driving a ford escape as a rental.  I do not recommend purchasing one of these if you have any intention of driving over 62 mph.  

I’ll guess that if you flew into Denver, you’d have used silvercar, but was escape the only thing they had?  Even an edge has lots more power. 

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll guess that if you flew into Denver, you’d have used silvercar, but was escape the only thing they had?  Even an edge has lots more power. 

full disclosure I went freaking cheap on it.  I got an offer of two free days from Hertz on a Ford Escape.  I figured what the hell, it has 4WD, has some utility, and it's cheap.  If you needed a cheap in town grocery hauler it would be perfectly fine.  If you want to drive on a freeway, dear lord be with you.  The handling was just terrible and it felt highly unstable over 62 mph, not mention that poor 4 banger engine sounding like it was going detonate every time it struggled up a mountain road.  

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Haha, that's not Ford escape specific, that's like every 4cyl ever made. 

Modern 2.0L 4cyl turbos are banging.  Starting with the VW 200hp that was smooth as silk, now they good ones are making 250 at minimum, to 300, 350+ in the AMG a45, with good power delivery too. They're good stuff

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Modern 2.0L 4cyl turbos are banging.  Starting with the VW 200hp that was smooth as silk, now they good ones are making 250 at minimum, to 300, 350+ in the AMG a45, with good power delivery too. They're good stuff

I am tempted, as noted upthread, by the Caddy ATS with a 2.0T.  It makes 272/295, which is quite respectable and I think leads the 2.0T pack, in normal trim.  Going under 250, as the Audi and MB do, is irksome.  Two cars ago, I had an Acura TSX with a 200hp NA 2.4.  It did lack some oomph, but wasn't ever underpowered.  It was a 6MT, though.

I do find it rather alarming the number of luxobarges with 2.0T (Lincolns, Audis, MB SUVs), and it's flat out heresy that it's the base engine in so many BMWs now.

If you have cheapfuck tendencies, as I do, mileage is kinda nice.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am tempted, as noted upthread, by the Caddy ATS with a 2.0T.  It makes 272/295, which is quite respectable and I think leads the 2.0T pack, in normal trim.  Going under 250, as the Audi and MB do, is irksome.  Two cars ago, I had an Acura TSX with a 200hp NA 2.4.  It did lack some oomph, but wasn't ever underpowered.  It was a 6MT, though.

I do find it rather alarming the number of luxobarges with 2.0T (Lincolns, Audis, MB SUVs), and it's flat out heresy that it's the base engine in so many BMWs now.

If you have cheapfuck tendencies, as I do, mileage is kinda nice.

americans dont like diesel, but nothing makes more sense in heavy SUVs than diesel given the power curve, the torque output, and the efficiency