The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Saw a GLC63 the other day.  Can't believe they shoehorned that big TT V8 into that tiny SUV.  

Is it tiny though?  On the road, it presents a less tiny silhouette than most "compact" SUVs.  I keep seeing them and thinking, gotta be a GLE, but it isn't.  Of course the C series appears or projects less dinky than past iterations too.

Part of me wants a full-size SUV, i.e. a truck.  But part of me acknowledges that I would be displeased with certain aspects of it, e.g. size, handling, mileage.  So the wagon-type SUV appeals and probably smaller better within limits.  And I tend to prefer those that look more like trucks than wagons or some fanciful econobox.

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Another prole vehicle question.  How is the M-B GLC, meaning the SUV?  I have seen a few on the street and it seems to be a good size from the outside (not small, not ginormous and doesn't remind one of an econobox as some of the smaller SUVs do).  I know it isn't a Macan, but that's too spendy (pre and post purchase) for me.

Also, what's the deal with these four door coupes?  They're nice looking in some cases, but the rooflines seem to render the second set of doors superfluous.  A 6 series two-door would be right in my wheelhouse, but alas.  Also, these four door coupe SUVs? Wtf?  I mean wtff?

friend has a GLC coupe and rear seats are fine.  the cargo area gets cut into.  every GLE coupe i see looks like a water retaining roid bro at the gym. 

but yes, coupeUVs are a pox. 

AMG GLC coupe is pretty evil looking

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

friend has a GLC coupe and rear seats are fine.  the cargo area gets cut into.  every GLE coupe i see looks like a water retaining roid bro at the gym. 

but yes, coupeUVs are a pox. 

AMG GLC coupe is pretty evil looking

How is the GLC coupe as a vehicle?  Handling, etc?  Is the blown 4 sufficient engine?  They say the interior is quite nice and it looks it from photos.

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

How is the GLC coupe as a vehicle?  Handling, etc?  Is the blown 4 sufficient engine?  They say the interior is quite nice and it looks it from photos.

i haven't driven it but as a passenger i had no complaints.  it's a merc so it's not going to handle like a mid 90s 3 series but the ride was fine and it never seemed underpowered. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 7:41 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

218722da53c0aef9537bf55f43ac6091.jpgf2def45fdee7f694587162bab2c89f1c.jpga0deddff38b9a27ef14620633db9c38a.jpg54733b77cb8efb0af3f9e3a7b2e10a71.jpg802761bd5faeefcd7c9ce6955be86ca7.jpgd0c1a6a73ccd44cdfb4b145aae1d9286.jpg
Couple things that caught my interest in this place.

Took my dad here when he came to visit about a month ago. He really enjoyed it and it was cool to see all of the old steam train engines they have in there too.

The other car museum I've been to up here is the Cussler Museum in Arvada. They display a rotating selection of around 70 cars from Clive Cussler's collection. Really cool, especially if you enjoy his books. The collection is split up in two rooms with prewar cars in one and post war through the 60's in the other. The main downside is it is only open on weekdays during the summer. I'll try to dig up some pictures from the last time I was there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Southland said:

Took my dad here when he came to visit about a month ago. He really enjoyed it and it was cool to see all of the old steam train engines they have in there too.

The other car museum I've been to up here is the Cussler Museum in Arvada. They display a rotating selection of around 70 cars from Clive Cussler's collection. Really cool, especially if you enjoy his books. The collection is split up in two rooms with prewar cars in one and post war through the 60's in the other. The main downside is it is only open on weekdays during the summer. I'll try to dig up some pictures from the last time I was there.

Cussler has some phenomenal cars.

I enjoyed the Petersen museum in LA also.

test drove the AWD model 3 today.  performance is identical to my car on paper (pw vs wt) and actualized.  just feels more sterile and inert due to lack of sound and suspension movement.  definitely not as "alive". 

i dont get all the nerd bois creaming themselves over "instant torque".  modern turbo motor + modern transmission yields just the same response and access to power.

overall driving response was very natural -- no adapdation required for the throttle mapping and the regen.  extremely easy to drive around.

central-control interface took a bit to get used to.  although as overall interior impression, i can see how people like it.  they really could use a heads-up display, or little transparent display a la mazda -- useful, unintrusive, and still fits in with design aesthetic.

sound system is fantastic.  sounds better than my aftermarket system. 

not the next coming of vehicular jesus as some of the fanatics claim.  but overall a solid car if found at the right price. 

Seriously the naming of these as traditional Porsche variants such as "turbo s" is a total mess.  It's so "not Porsche" as there is no function nor meaning behind that.  I cannot believe they did that.  They should have come up with new model designations for the various powertrains within the lineup.  They should not have used turbo s, or any of the same ones used for the combustion models. I also think starting with the release of the very top of the line "turbo" and "turbo s" is questionable.  Turbo S price starts at 185,000.  Ranger is 240 miles?  I am a bit less excited about this now than I was when it was a concept.  

Edited by pepper brooks

Yeah, this disregard for nomenclature (and the goddamn dictionary) is pretty egregious. It bothers me far more than BMW's foolish muddling of terms (the 4 is now the 3, the 1 is now the 2, M is now a model and a trim level, down is up, etc.) and whatever similar dumb shit that Infiniti did a few years ago is downright forgotten, because who gives a shit? 

20 hours ago, tbone_ said:

0 mph. Impressive.

full tank (16 gallons) and only 178 miles to empty.  yikes.  I guess this is what happens in sport mode when you bounce the limiter off the redline every stop and drive in Houston morning/afternoon rush traffic.  my one way commute is 6 miles.  that might take up to 50 minutes since they have destroyed 59/610 with construction.  destroyed weslayan which is the main feeder into my neighborhood off 59/610 with construction.  if I go an alternate route through river oaks via allen pkwy they have construction at Allen Pkwy/shepherd backing shit up there.  its just absurd at this point.  

On 9/4/2019 at 6:39 AM, 52-80 said:

test drove the AWD model 3 today.  performance is identical to my car on paper (pw vs wt) and actualized.  just feels more sterile and inert due to lack of sound and suspension movement.  definitely not as "alive". 

i dont get all the nerd bois creaming themselves over "instant torque".  modern turbo motor + modern transmission yields just the same response and access to power.

overall driving response was very natural -- no adapdation required for the throttle mapping and the regen.  extremely easy to drive around.

central-control interface took a bit to get used to.  although as overall interior impression, i can see how people like it.  they really could use a heads-up display, or little transparent display a la mazda -- useful, unintrusive, and still fits in with design aesthetic.

sound system is fantastic.  sounds better than my aftermarket system. 

not the next coming of vehicular jesus as some of the fanatics claim.  but overall a solid car if found at the right price. 

I've grown to love the lack of a heads up display. Having nothing in front of you except the road is great.

12 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I've grown to love the lack of a heads up display. Having nothing in front of you except the road is great.

I like my nav info displayed in the central dash.  And if Tesla wanted to be ultra Modern, they can apply augmented reality display like some of the other manufacturers have, or are putting out soon

hyundai-holographic-ar-ces-header-610x61

Anyway, wish they still made a long range RWD version to drop 400# of weight.  Likely going to order the AWD this week

I like my nav info displayed in the central dash.  And if Tesla wanted to be ultra Modern, they can apply augmented reality display like some of the other manufacturers have, or are putting out soon

hyundai-holographic-ar-ces-header-610x610.jpg

Anyway, wish they still made a long range RWD version to drop 400# of weight.  Likely going to order the AWD this week

Meh I turn that off in Forza and all only us the braking line on tracks I’m not too familiar with.

Also why does it want you to accelerate into that corner? At least go yellow to coast into the turn

• Like 1

hyundai-holographic-ar-ces-header-610x610.jpg

My mclaren has that. I turned it off. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought my BMW adventure was over.  I was wrong.

Last time, the fuel pump took a crap and car was towed to dealership.  When I picked up the car, I discovered that the hand brake was broken/disconnected (how the tech missed that when he parked it, beggars belief).  I took it back the next day and they got it fixed -- service advisor didn't tell me what was wrong, simply that it was fixed.  Whatever.

Flash forward to today, I received a letter in the mail saying "we forgot to bill you last time, please pay this bill".  It's a charge of 80 bucks for repairing the handbrake.  Even though it was basically their fault.  And if it wasn't, it's still under warranty, regardless. 

I can't muster the effort to fight over how insanely stupid this is.  I'm selling the car next week, and the bill is going in the trash.  Sayonara.

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Last time, the fuel pump took a crap and car was towed to dealership.  When I picked up the car, I discovered that the hand brake was broken/disconnected (how the tech missed that when he parked it, beggars belief).  I took it back the next day and they got it fixed -- service advisor didn't tell me what was wrong, simply that it was fixed.  Whatever.

Flash forward to today, I received a letter in the mail saying "we forgot to bill you last time, please pay this bill".  It's a charge of 80 bucks for repairing the handbrake.  Even though it was basically their fault.  And if it wasn't, it's still under warranty, regardless. 

I can't muster the effort to fight over how insanely stupid this is.  I'm selling the car next week, and the bill is going in the trash.  Sayonara.

I’m amazed at some of the shit you guys have described with your BMW SUVs

• Like 2

Just now, HoustonHorn said:

2020 550i should be in in a couple weeks. Can't wait to check out the new engine. The '19 i drove was plenty fast but with the 850 engine in the '20, it has 523hp. May get a Dinan stage 1 to bump that up to about 600hp. May I RIP.

that sounds pretty damned nice.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:23 AM, 52-80 said:

My goodness.  some things just never seem to change.  I could literally write a book about the failings involved with the manner in which they handled my X5M shit rocket.  from the service dept, to the dealership, to BWMUSA corp, to customer care at BMWUSA corp.  It would literally blow your mind the ways in which these people tried to go in dry all of a sum of money so paltry to their organization it wouldn't register as a rounding error to a rounding error for them.  

53 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Deposit on Tesla placed today.  of course now i am reading the horror stories about Tesla service that eclipses anything ive heard for any other brands ever

at least you will be well trained in dealing with terrible service and cars that routinely break down from your time with BMW.