The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

7 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

So new shit has come to light. I may be getting a new car as well. I'd like to keep it short of 100k. Considering a truck, but never had one so not sure that's where I'll end up. Also looking at a sports SUV. The Audi Q8/SQ8 seems appealing although the S hasn't been released yet.

Maybe an BMW 6X M. Seems like the AMG63 GLS may be out of my price range.

Could also just go with an S6 or S7 as well.

Wasn't really considering buying anything for at least a year but open to suggestions.

Serious question. What is the appeal of the X6M or AMG GLS63 Coupe? I just...don't get it.

• Like 1

Just now, Okie State said:

Serious question. What is the appeal of the X6M or AMG GLS63 Coupe? I just...don't get it.

it's a lot of horsepower in a heavy vehicle with a high center of gravity with the driver sitting well up off the road.  think of it like a GT40, but you drive it from the roof.  and all the weight is above your head.  and there's 3x as much of it.  with about as much cargo room.  what's not to like?

• Like 1

Just now, elfenix said:

it's a lot of horsepower in a heavy vehicle with a high center of gravity with the driver sitting well up off the road.  think of it like a GT40, but you drive it from the roof.  and all the weight is above your head.  and there's 3x as much of it.  with about as much cargo room.  what's not to like?

Yeah, just seems like a vehicle that's not really good at anything. I see them all over the road though so somebody is dropping 100 grand on them.

• Like 1

I haven't decided on anything. The Q8 is very sharp looking. It would be my car but my wife prefers riding a little higher so if she ever had to drive it she'd like that over a sedan. I have an A6 now and she hates driving it. Plus SUVs have a little extra space to carry kids/equipment/etc. (Not really the X6, so won't be looking at that)

I'd probably choose an S6/S7 or M5.

Porsche and Mercedes seem to be up well above $100k. I also have to go to job sites/clients offices some times and rolling up in a $125k+ Porsche doesn't always play well.

Open to suggestions.

8 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

It would be my car but my wife prefers riding a little higher so if she ever had to drive it she'd like that over a sedan. I have an A6 now and she hates driving it.

sounds like you should stick to cars.  the lower the better.  did i mention there's a new corvette?

8 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

This almost certainly won't be the most talked-about aspect of the C8, but it should be.

We all agree that the interiors have needed updating for decades, but this is not the correct response. 51228fb6d29cd0d1da71538681f0b87e.jpg

What. The. Fuck. Is that a starship enterprise?  What’s with the 6 mile long button strip?  Last gen panamera just laughed. Then wept for it. 

“Hey, call BMW and Mercedes and see if they have any spare mini screens. Then call Porsche and see if they have any leftover buttons. Then find a hammer....”

Edited by Bert Orange

11 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

I haven't decided on anything. The Q8 is very sharp looking. It would be my car but my wife prefers riding a little higher so if she ever had to drive it she'd like that over a sedan. I have an A6 now and she hates driving it. Plus SUVs have a little extra space to carry kids/equipment/etc. (Not really the X6, so won't be looking at that)

Porsche and Mercedes seem to be up well above $100k. I also have to go to job sites/clients offices some times and rolling up in a $125k+ Porsche doesn't always play well.

Open to suggestions.

Cayenne Turbo, and buy an older Tahoe to drive to job sites or to cheap clients offended by you having a nice car. 

8 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Cayenne Turbo, and buy an older Tahoe to drive to job sites or to cheap clients offended by you having a nice car. 

Starting at $126k. Trying to keep it at $100k. I always kind of figured buying a used sports car was a bad idea - no telling how hard it was driven.

the new C8 is a very serious machine.  I know the interior isn't a design many will like.  It's a tough situation.  Chevy can produce  car that can compete, and beat exotic supercars that cost 2-4 times as much which is the issue, right?  If they want to offer a mid engine V8 and 60k you have to cut cost somewhere.  Obviously it is going to be interior bits as opposed to engine, transmission, drivetrain.  They used the Porsche PDK in the test mules.  If they copied that transmission for the C8, then good on Chevy.  I believe the Porsche PDK box is the absolute best transmission available.  Back to that interior....gosh.  I get it's not going to be appointed like a 100k car, but they could have figured out way to go with a more seamless, integrated dash design.  I hate HATE dash boards that are not minimalist.  The edges cut into it, and river running behind the pasted on display screen are a mess.  Seats look pretty good.  I don't mind all the buttons, but I don't really like the manner of displaying the buttons on that strip.  All in all this is entry level car is a 700 foot walk off, gran slam.  Put it this way, I am actually interested in buying one.  I would have never thought that would be the case, but this thing has my attention in a way I could have never imagined.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Starting at $126k. Trying to keep it at $100k. I always kind of figured buying a used sports car was a bad idea - no telling how hard it was driven.

it's a Porsche.  It's supposed to be driven hard.  The ones that are softly driven garage queens are the ones that break down.  THe ones like my 15 year old C2S that I red line damn near every shift, and have for 15 years are the bullet proof ones that run forever.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 2

Open to suggestions.

Ahem

https://www.carmax.com/car/17538040

CarMax will sell you a bumper to bumper warranty.

22 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

it's a Porsche.  It's supposed to be driven hard.  The ones that are softly driven garage queens are the ones that break down.  THe ones like my 15 year old C2S that I red line damn near every shift, and have for 15 years are the bullet proof ones that run forever.  

I did find a 2018 with low miles for $97k on CarFax. How do warranties work buying it through dealers on CarFax from some place where the actual dealer is out of state?

Edited by HoustonHorn

dual clutch is actually a manual transmission.  it just performs like an automatic.  No gated manual.  I guess they do call the dual clutch gearbozed "automatic", but that really isn't the case.  

I guess I should rephrase then: no option to shift gears with your hand and feet as God intended it.

34 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

the new C8 is a very serious machine.  I know the interior isn't a design many will like.  It's a tough situation.  Chevy can produce  car that can compete, and beat exotic supercars that cost 2-4 times as much which is the issue, right?  If they want to offer a mid engine V8 and 60k you have to cut cost somewhere.  Obviously it is going to be interior bits as opposed to engine, transmission, drivetrain.  They used the Porsche PDK in the test mules.  If they copied that transmission for the C8, then good on Chevy.  I believe the Porsche PDK box is the absolute best transmission available.  Back to that interior....gosh.  I get it's not going to be appointed like a 100k car, but they could have figured out way to go with a more seamless, integrated dash design.  I hate HATE dash boards that are not minimalist.  The edges cut into it, and river running behind the pasted on display screen are a mess.  Seats look pretty good.  I don't mind all the buttons, but I don't really like the manner of displaying the buttons on that strip.  All in all this is entry level car is a 700 foot walk off, gran slam.  Put it this way, I am actually interested in buying one.  I would have never thought that would be the case, but this thing has my attention in a way I could have never imagined.  

Corvettes have always been somewhat unconventional, too, it's just part of the deal.  

Also, an "automatic transmission" is one that shifts without input from the driver, full stop.

There's a bunch of baggage attached like fluid coupling/torque converter, which is the main distinction between older ATs and newer clutched ones.  But having solenoid- or other non-manually operated clutches doesn't make it a "manual transmission."  It makes it mechanically more LIKE a manual transmission, but it is not a manual transmission if you don't have to manually engage/disengage the clutch and shift the gears.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, an "automatic transmission" is one that shifts without input from the driver, full stop.

There's a bunch of baggage attached like fluid coupling/torque converter, which is the main distinction between older ATs and newer clutched ones.  But having solenoid- or other non-manually operated clutches doesn't make it a "manual transmission."  It makes it mechanically more LIKE a manual transmission, but it is not a manual transmission if you don't have to manually engage/disengage the clutch and shift the gears.

yeap.  i dont really care how the transmission is coupled -- literally nobody can see that shit.  hell my ZF might as well be a dual-clutch it feels so lean and is so fast.

so what an MT really means is stirring a stick around and a 3rd pedal on the floor

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

it's not a matter of resource allocation on the C8 though.  whereas on C5 and C6, they were truly recycling bits from the pick-up truck parts bin due to cost.

here, its simply a case of poor design.  it can be argued they couldnt spare enough time and money for design, that but that doesnt excuse an illogical design (even from first glance) thats taken a step back from previous generation

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

yeap.  i dont really care how the transmission is coupled -- literally nobody can see that shit.  hell my ZF might as well be a dual-clutch it feels so lean and is so fast.

so what an MT really means is stirring a stick around and a 3rd pedal on the floor

Yeah, they're doing some remarkable stuff with fluid-coupled ATs now.  And I think the "clutched" designs and fluid coupled designs are similar in that they are using discrete electromechanical actuators (solenoids and the like) to actually shift the gears, which makes the coupling less important.

I’m sure that touch screen will control everything in that interior (including all the functions of those buttons).

That landing strip of buttons is def for the olds that would have trouble touching a screen. Lots of olds like their vettes.

• Like 1

I’m sure that touch screen will control everything in that interior (including all the functions of those buttons).

That landing strip of buttons is def for the olds that would have trouble touching a screen. Lots of olds like their vettes.

A lot of olds are actually very upset about the C8, which is fucking awesome.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

I did find a 2018 with low miles for $97k on CarFax. How do warranties work buying it through dealers on CarFax from some place where the actual dealer is out of state?

is it a Porsche dealer?  Doesn't matter really.  THey cover their original factory warranty no matter what.  you can decide if you want to buy an extended aftermarket warranty or not.  I bought one for my 911 years ago through easy care.  Turned out to be mostly a waste of money because the car never went to the shop for anything requiring warranty coverage.  

3 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Or what someone in the 60s thought the future would look like. 

So much compartmentalization, it's like Rob and Laura Petrie in separate beds.

Edited by clapclapclap
Or maybe the Build a Wall edition is aimed at prisoner transport fleet sales?