The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Or the fact in was in a 3100 pound car 
Of course. I was just assuming it had AFM. No idea if it actually does or not.

Speaking of that, I was next to a newer Camaro SS on the highway one day with my windows down. They accelerated to change lanes and the exhaust sounded like complete shit. I assume it was in 4 cylinder mode. It was very odd to hear coming from an SS.

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

The McClaren store is near my house in Scottsdale. I see these all the time around the area. The burnt orange ones especially. So bad ass. And the sound. Don’t even get me started.

Note I am not comparing this to the McClaren, but the sound on my Panamera GTS > McClaren.  When I took delivery of my Panamera there was a guy taking delivery of the mcclaren.  cars were side by side.  we fired them up, and the mcclaren owner even noted he had exhaust envy.  pretty sure that is where the comparison ended, obviously two very different cars serving very different purposes.  

12 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

I was getting 22 easy in my A7. I’m getting 12 during the break in period on my M5. It’s pretty alarming. 

I am not sure how this is anything other than expectation.  you buy a 600 hp car with a v8.  im not sure how you expect it to get anything better than about 10-12 in the city and maybe 16-18 on the highway.  you know when they test these gas mileage numbers they're almost always wrong on the high side.  maybe it's my driving, but I have never had a car get the mileage claimed.  I would estimate I have driven well over 1,000,000 miles, and have never seen a car perform within the mileage claims on the sticker.  ever.  

28 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

I am not sure how this is anything other than expectation.  you buy a 600 hp car with a v8.  im not sure how you expect it to get anything better than about 10-12 in the city and maybe 16-18 on the highway.  you know when they test these gas mileage numbers they're almost always wrong on the high side.  maybe it's my driving, but I have never had a car get the mileage claimed.  I would estimate I have driven well over 1,000,000 miles, and have never seen a car perform within the mileage claims on the sticker.  ever.  

That’s because nobody cruises at 45 on the highway, which I think is or used to be the test parameter. 

42 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

you buy a 600 hp car with a v8.  im not sure how you expect it to get anything better than about 10-12 in the city and maybe 16-18 on the highway

This morning I'm getting 19.2 with 50/50 city and highway driving. I drive in sport plus the whole time with all the settings maxed.

20190614-094347.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sidis said:

well, it's done.  dealer said they've been getting south carolina cars (x5) in 3-4 weeks of late so we will see how they do on this one.

The bmw SUV fleet are the best imo, If you're gonna go SUV

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G650 said:

This morning I'm getting 19.2 with 50/50 city and highway driving. I drive in sport plus the whole time with all the settings maxed.

20190614-094347.jpg

Might want to up your music game if you're cruising around in Sport Plus.

*just kidding.  kind of

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The bmw SUV fleet are the best imo, If you're gonna go SUV

Disagree, Porsche does it better for driving dynamics but perhaps BMW keeps the crown on ergonomics.  The X70 and F15 were porkers on the scales and felt just as hefty behind the wheel.  Haven't tried a G05 yet but I want to believe they put it on a slight diet.

The X3 M40i is a hoot and well-underrated on power.  I don't prefer the looks but it's easy to argue that it's more fun and powerful than the SQ5 and Macan S.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I knew not to expect 22, but 12 is worse than the 95 4Runner I had back in high school. In this day and age of technology, it should be better IMO

On 6/14/2019 at 11:44 PM, Gravy Train said:

Disagree, Porsche does it better for driving dynamics but perhaps BMW keeps the crown on ergonomics.  The X70 and F15 were porkers on the scales and felt just as hefty behind the wheel.  Haven't tried a G05 yet but I want to believe they put it on a slight diet.

The X3 M40i is a hoot and well-underrated on power.  I don't prefer the looks but it's easy to argue that it's more fun and powerful than the SQ5 and Macan S.

no 7 seater and high entry point - bmw built a full lineup

On 6/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, sidis said:

well, it's done.  dealer said they've been getting south carolina cars (x5) in 3-4 weeks of late so we will see how they do on this one.

Hope you have better luck than me. Took Momentum BMW 2.5 months to get me mine. On top of that, all the new technology stuff is really finicky. Mine has already been in the shop three times getting electronic stuff repaired. The latest was they had to replace one of the cameras. Love my X5 when it works, but I should have waited to get it after they worked the kinks out.

23 hours ago, royiv said:

Hope you have better luck than me. Took Momentum BMW 2.5 months to get me mine. On top of that, all the new technology stuff is really finicky. Mine has already been in the shop three times getting electronic stuff repaired. The latest was they had to replace one of the cameras. Love my X5 when it works, but I should have waited to get it after they worked the kinks out.

they've been trying to "work out the kinks" on all this stuff since Gen 2 X5.  it's a shame what has become of BMW from a reliability and user standpoint.  They just cannot be trusted.  They're still fun to drive and they continue to push the envelope with design and technology, and their engines are generally awesome.  that said, I cannot tell you how many people, myself included have said verbatim, "my X5 is awesome when it works".  my last one I had for 18 months.  it spent 9 of those months in the shop.  literally.  

Edited by pepper brooks

28 minutes ago, G650 said:

As a fleet owner and mechanical engineering major and engine builder, I am very confident in my opinion that 99.999999% of car problems are driver induced. Actual problem cars are an extreme minority.

I see that you've never owned a British roadster 

• Like 1

As a fleet owner and mechanical engineering major and engine builder, I am very confident in my opinion that 99.999999% of car problems are driver induced. Actual problem cars are an extreme minority.
Agree 100% on mechanical issues. It's the electrical gremlins that make me ragey.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, royiv said:

yes, let's indeed hope that i have better luck than you.

all that sucks.

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

new 718 GT4 just dropped.  damn, I really want one of these.  

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/718/718-cayman-gt4/

They are bad ass, but at $120k or so (wherever a normally optioned one ends up), there's a lot of competition.

I can get a 2015 911 Turbo S for $120k.  I can get a 2014 GT3 for just a tad more ($130k or so).  Shit, there is a 2011 GT3 RS near me for $150k.

Edited by Chewbacca

4 hours ago, sidis said:

yes, let's indeed hope that i have better luck than you.

all that sucks.

Latest quirk is that ever time I get in the car I get an error message saying it doesn’t recognize the key. And the weather stripping is already coming off the driver side rear door after 1300 miles. This is my 6th BMW, but my first SUV. I may be going back to a sedan faster than I thought. 

2 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Replace the battery in the key fob, unless it does that with the secondary fob as well. Some models actually use inductive rechargeable keyfobs but you'd probably know that and would have charged it by now.

Yeah, the charge isn’t the problem. It’s the piece of shit electronics in this car. It still starts. It just gives the error and then won’t lock when you turn the car off without starting it and turning it off a couple of times.

39 minutes ago, royiv said:

Latest quirk is that ever time I get in the car I get an error message saying it doesn’t recognize the key. And the weather stripping is already coming off the driver side rear door after 1300 miles. This is my 6th BMW, but my first SUV. I may be going back to a sedan faster than I thought. 

hhahahahahaahah.  im not laughing at your predicament, but I am laughing at how familiar the "no key found" issue seems.  they have clearly not resolved that system being a total POS.  

On 6/17/2019 at 6:36 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

The X5 may be unreliable, but X7 is the ugliest and most cynical thing they have ever made.

The x3,5,7 are all the same sausage, different length.  The new design is interesting. I vary between thinking it’s awesome, and thinking it looks like the less retarded cousin of tow-mater from The Disney Cars franchise. 

On 6/21/2019 at 8:28 AM, pepper brooks said:

if only I had some extra cash laying around...

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/1998/porsche/911--carrera--s/2042998

Really?  Jesus, what are the 80's slantnose 930's going for now?  A quick search just showed ones being put up for auction.  But I didn't think they were much more than that - and give me the 80's beast every fucking time. 

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

I think the X3/5/7 all look good in the right trim. Not sure on the X1. The X2/4/6 look ridiculous to me.

Yup on all that.  Those even-numbered models are all nasty, including new 8 series, and especially those GT bastardizations.  Exception is M2 that looks decent.

25 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Really?  Jesus, what are the 80's slantnose 930's going for now?  A quick search just showed ones being put up for auction.  But I didn't think they were much more than that - and give me the 80's beast every fucking time. 

Yeah. I have a soft spot for the 993 and natural aspiration.  I realize there are better performing examples available. I am just partial to the “S” version especially with the 993. The fact that they continue to escalate in price also indicates the market values them as well.