The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

I am in a mamba green macan loaner.  just had my Panamera gts first issue.  think one of the air suspension arms has died.  seems to be a pretty common occurrence on these cars.  anyway, this green color is pretty damn loud and popping.  I don't think I would buy it, but it is very cool.  This macan is base model 2019.  it only has 200 miles on it.  I have to say it has to be the most fun to drive suv on the planet.  the thing corners like a 911, and is just a ton of fun to drive in the city traffic.  it is comfortable, quiet, fun as hell, looks great, and has enough storage/utility to be user friendly.  I can see why they have sold so many of these things.  it's just a great package as an entry point to their brand.  The turbo or GTS model with a real engine would be incredible.  that is the one thing on the base model, that 4 banger just isn't really moving the needle.  

What do you guys think of the Kia Telluride? I'm having a hard time mentally justifying getting a Kia, but holy shit for a kid car/road trip car I don't know how you can beat it for the money (even on the used SUV market). I think the only real thing it is lacking compared to others in it's class is more than 5,000lb towing capacity. I'm seriously considering the SX Prestige with towing which will put MSRP at right under 47k.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/314757/2020-kia-telluride-sx-first-drive/

Other options I was looking at were the GLS450, 4runners, GMC Acadia Denali's

I just can't get close to a similarly optioned car as the Kia, of course the driving Dynamics are nowhere near as good as the Mercedes would be, no offroading like the 4runner can, and the Denali is going to be way more posh with more rear seat entertainment options. 

Am I crazy?

• Like 1

10yr power train warranty on the Kia is pretty solid for a utility vehicle that people might not treat so gingerly.

Also newer implementation of connectivity tech, and vehicle safety aids

Edited by 52-80

24 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

that is the 718 boxster/cayman and the macan.  not every customer can start with a 2 seat roadster.  

It's just the idea is kinda perverse.  Kinda like Toyota selling the GT86 so they could upsell new customers into Camry V6s and Previa minivans.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You can get a 2 year old GLS450 for the same price. That's the route i would go.

you can't get it nearly as close with the options for the same price. Distronic cruise + towing package alone puts you back in the 55-60k range 

you can't get it nearly as close with the options for the same price. Distronic cruise + towing package alone puts you back in the 55-60k range 
Those 2 packages are only 3k combined. They aren't adding 10-15k to the price of a used one.

If you would rather drive a Kia, go for it. I'd rather drive the MB.

torchinsky echoes my thoughts on softroaders:

There was an

article on USA Today, um, today that noted the declining market share and sales of minivans as SUV sales have climbed. The article suggested a declining birth rate as one reason, but the real main reason seems to be that people are choosing SUVs over minivans. This certainly seems to be the case, and points to one crucial fact that’s often overlooked in these sorts of articles: we’re a pack of fools.

https://jalopnik.com/minivan-sales-are-plummeting-compared-to-suvs-because-w-1835336564

He’s right. Minivans are genuinely clever and useful, in addition to having as good or usually better driving dynamics than SUVs, and most SUVs are completely inept off-road.

Station wagons drive better, minivans carry more stuff, and both have better features for their target markets. Most SUVs just aren’t very good at anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Station wagons drive are better, minivans carry more stuff need to die a fiery painful death and represent the utter bankruptcy and vapidity of our culture. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

He’s right. Minivans are genuinely clever and useful, in addition to having as good or usually better driving dynamics than SUVs, and most SUVs are completely inept off-road.

Station wagons drive better, minivans carry more stuff, and both have better features for their target markets. Most SUVs just aren’t very good at anything.

I had a good friend who thought the same thing.  When he had kids, he bought a minivan.   Verdict:  So good once you are inside and driving, very practical...  but walking to it in the parking lot is soul crushing.  He lasted 1 year.

Now I wish I'd had the forethought in Highschool to rock a minivan...  so many advantages

Cant recall if i already posted here, but after putting my summer wheelset back on, car started pulling to the right.  Steering wheel is centered, but car wants to pull moderately right.

Wasnt sure if behavior was immediately after swapping the wheelset, or triggered by particular event (didnt hit any hard potholes or etc).

Anyway, had an alignment done at dealership, and some specs were ever slightly off, but they set it back within tolerance, and car still drove identically. 

They swapped the wheels from L to R, and it pulled the other way (left).  They said they put on a completely different wheelset, and car tracked straight.  Thusly it was determined that front tires need to be replaced.

What the fuck gives?  tires has good tread - atleast half life left.  Tread wear even across the tire, for all 4 tires.  DOT is late 2015.  No bubbling or cracking or anything visible.  No poor behavior at speeds.  Tires never dismounted or remounted on the wheel.  All are OEM.  The only bad thing it does is pull to one side --- which it did not do before.  How the fuck can a tire do that by it lonesome self?

24 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Manufacturing defect. Happens all the time. I’ve probably had to replace 4 or 5 tires over the years because of this. Sometimes they just won’t balance and they pull or shimmy.

These arent freshly mounted new tires though.  They had run perfectly for the half of its projected tread life - from new until now.  And they're Pirellis, not Ding Dong tires =\

Edited by 52-80

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Cant recall if i already posted here, but after putting my summer wheelset back on, car started pulling to the right.  Steering wheel is centered, but car wants to pull moderately right.

Wasnt sure if behavior was immediately after swapping the wheelset, or triggered by particular event (didnt hit any hard potholes or etc).

Anyway, had an alignment done at dealership, and some specs were ever slightly off, but they set it back within tolerance, and car still drove identically. 

They swapped the wheels from L to R, and it pulled the other way (left).  They said they put on a completely different wheelset, and car tracked straight.  Thusly it was determined that front tires need to be replaced.

What the fuck gives?  tires has good tread - atleast half life left.  Tread wear even across the tire, for all 4 tires.  DOT is late 2015.  No bubbling or cracking or anything visible.  No poor behavior at speeds.  Tires never dismounted or remounted on the wheel.  All are OEM.  The only bad thing it does is pull to one side --- which it did not do before.  How the fuck can a tire do that by it lonesome self?

its called a radial pull . i used to manage a goodyear and i have seen it happen on brand new tires .  i have broken them down spun them 180 on the wheel and re-balanced and made go away or flipping it on the wheel but that all depends on tire. 

34 minutes ago, mr.goodkat said:

its called a radial pull . i used to manage a goodyear and i have seen it happen on brand new tires .  i have broken them down spun them 180 on the wheel and re-balanced and made go away or flipping it on the wheel but that all depends on tire. 

hell.  ive never heard of it before.  now that you informed me about this term, i googled it and tons of sources confirm.  fuck a pirelli then

On 6/7/2019 at 8:43 AM, immamac said:

What do you guys think of the Kia Telluride?  

Seems like a good option and a great value, thanks for the tip.  This is the first time I've considered Kia (and Hyundai), but the Telluride SX I saw was fine.  Some cheap plastic, but not as bad as a Highlander or Frontrunner.  Not sure about the Prestige Package's suede headliner, though.  (Heads up display and heated/vented 2nd row seats are about the only things lost by skipping the package.)

Long Duk Dong says get the Telluride's superfecundation twin, the Hyundai Palisade (one of his stats is wrong, but I like this reviewer's style):

Palisade is supposed to be available towards the end of July.  The basic price sheet cam out yesterday, mirrors the Telluride.  Build and Price not yet added to the Hyundai US website,

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/palisade/index.aspx

but went up partially yesterday for Bahrain, so one can get an idea of the interior color schemes likely available:

https://www.hyundai.com/bh/en/find-a-car/palisade-2020/interior

I'm waiting until fall to decide since the 2020 Frontrunner is finally getting an upgrade to add a lot of the safety tech available everywhere else, a bigger infotainment screen, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, etc.  And the Lexus RX 450hl gets an upgrade, too.  Won't have to use the touchpad anymore if you hate it.

Edited by clapclapclap

Not gonna lie I was super impressed by the Telluride. For 48k though I owed it to myself and my wife to go drive a GLS 450 competitively optioned and priced (within $500, but inclusive of towing package). 

Night and day - the 2020 creature comforts like wireless charging and shit are clearly missing from the 2017 GLS, but holy shit fit and finish are not even in the same league. 

2017 GLS sticker is 83k and change. 

2020 Telluride sticker is 48k and change. 

I have to believe the depreciation is pretty much flattening out on the GLS as the 14-15 GL series is still holding above 35k for well optioned models. There's 0 chance that the Telluride holds value for 3-5 years in that range. 

• Like 3