The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

im a little peeved my car started drifting to the right.  i havent hit any major potholes or bumps at speeds, and i dont know when the steering wheel started tracking off center, but it has.

took it to the dealership for alignment, and some measurements were actually out of spec (but just)... they were re-set to pretty much perfect values, but the car still pulls to the right, exactly as it came in. 

theres no way they could have driven the car after the alignment and not noticed the pull.  and because the alignmens are in-spec, i have no idea what the causes could be

We have had issues with my wife's Lexus pulling and nobody can ever figure it out. She actually did get forced into a curb by some idiot so I have to assume something is slightly bent out of shape in the suspension. If you haven't hit anything though it seems odd.

I've always heard you need to find someone who actually understands alignment instead of the guys who just hook it up to the machine. I don't know where to find those guys though.

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

im a little peeved my car started drifting to the right.  i havent hit any major potholes or bumps at speeds, and i dont know when the steering wheel started tracking off center, but it has.

took it to the dealership for alignment, and some measurements were actually out of spec (but just)... they were re-set to pretty much perfect values, but the car still pulls to the right, exactly as it came in. 

theres no way they could have driven the car after the alignment and not noticed the pull.  and because the alignmens are in-spec, i have no idea what the causes could be

Same thing happened to me. One of the tires was out of balance. 

11 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Same thing happened to me. One of the tires was out of balance. 

i also dont understand how tires become out of balance?  unless maybe the balancing weights get dislodged from the rim? 

i know tires (and wheels) arent perfectly balanced from the factory, but if they were corrected, it should pretty much stay that way right?

i also dont understand how tires become out of balance?  unless maybe the balancing weights get dislodged from the rim? 

i know tires (and wheels) arent perfectly balanced from the factory, but if they were corrected, it should pretty much stay that way right?

More or less. I’ve had my KO2 all terrains on for about 46k and haven’t ever rebalanced them. sometimes the inner belt can fail or let air in between them if the inner liner fails which can cause and issue and a pull, but you’d replace the tire dornthst of course.

Thanks for the input.  I love the Panamera but think y'all talked me out of it.  Will probably stick with another Cayenne. I don't see me getting her in a bigger SUV than that.  If anyone is interested in a 14 Cayenne GTS, Black/Beige, excellent condition, just serviced and had curb rash removed (again, wife's car), 72k miles, let me know and we can do an in and out at Porsche Austin.  It does have USB's.  

13 hours ago, Atxracer said:

That's kind of what I am thinking.  The dealer is saying you can put a ceramic coat on the Alcantara that protects it.  That's just hard to imagine with what a baby is capable of doing. 

I have that coating on the alcantara in my Panamera GTS, and I can tell you it works.  Shit beads up on it like water on freshly waxed paint . Mine at 23k miles show virtually no wear.  That said, you can order with just leather, even the GTS can be ordered with leather and not Alcantara.  My 11 year old is messy as hell, dirty, sweaty after baseball, etc, and the seats clean right up no problem.  

13 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Enlighten me.  Seriously. This (baby-ville) is unchartered territory for me.  First option was a new Cayenne then I got a Panamera as a loaner and it drove much better than a Cayenne.  Seems safe and large enough but still fun for baby-mama if baby is not in the car.

One drawback of a Panamera as a baby hauler would be it is a 2+2 configuration which could be an issue.  Maybe not, but maybe.  Other than that, i'm not seeing it.  It can haul an absolute ton of stuff in the storage area.  IDK, if you liked the drive better than the Cayenne, im not seeing a compelling reason to not get the Panamera.  you can pretty easily haul a stroller, diaper bag, etc in there, and if you need to haul a pack and play fold down the seat on one side.  it has more than enough room to haul all the shit you need for a baby.  

Edited by pepper brooks

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Mine comes and goes as the tires wear. 

14 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

One drawback of a Panamera as a baby hauler would be it is a 2+2 configuration which could be an issue.  Maybe not, but maybe.  Other than that, i'm not seeing it.  It can haul an absolute ton of stuff in the storage area.  IDK, if you liked the drive better than the Cayenne, im not seeing a compelling reason to not get the Panamera.  you can pretty easily haul a stroller, diaper bag, etc in there, and if you need to haul a pack and play fold down the seat on one side.  it has more than enough room to haul all the shit you need for a baby.  

In fairness, I haven't driven the new Cayenne yet.  I am comparing the 19 Panamera GTS to a 2014 Cayenne GTS.  In those two, the Panamera destroys the Cayenne in every category.  Just considering the years, that's not a huge surprise.  For as big as the Panamera is, it feels like a heavy 911 which blew me away.

To appease the wife, we are going to take the baby stuff to the dealership and see how it fits.  But, they have the perfect Cayenne there so likely going that route.  Thanks for the input and will update this thread when we pull the trigger. 

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

In fairness, I haven't driven the new Cayenne yet.  I am comparing the 19 Panamera GTS to a 2014 Cayenne GTS.  In those two, the Panamera destroys the Cayenne in every category.  Just considering the years, that's not a huge surprise.  For as big as the Panamera is, it feels like a heavy 911 which blew me away.

To appease the wife, we are going to take the baby stuff to the dealership and see how it fits.  But, they have the perfect Cayenne there so likely going that route.  Thanks for the input and will update this thread when we pull the trigger. 

well yeah...of course a Panamera GtS is going to feel a hell of a ton better than a Cayenne.  the gts is arguably the best overall drive of any sport sedan in production.  it does feel very much like a bigger 911.  My wife loves the drive of my gts way more than her cayenne turbo.  that's just a simple oranges to apples comparison.  two very different vehicles other than the name plate.  no wrong answer, but very different ones.  

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Thanks for the input.  I love the Panamera but think y'all talked me out of it.  Will probably stick with another Cayenne. I don't see me getting her in a bigger SUV than that.  If anyone is interested in a 14 Cayenne GTS, Black/Beige, excellent condition, just serviced and had curb rash removed (again, wife's car), 72k miles, let me know and we can do an in and out at Porsche Austin.  It does have USB's.  

so you already have a good baby mobile that is well used at this point so no real biggie when baby inevitably has projectile diarrheavomitsnot, but you want to get a new one?

that baby is going to put enough depreciation into a new cayenne by itself to pay for a ford escape

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, elfenix said:

so you already have a good baby mobile that is well used at this point so no real biggie when baby inevitably has projectile diarrheavomitsnot, but you want to get a new one?

that baby is going to put enough depreciation into a new cayenne by itself to pay for a ford escape

That would clearly be the smartest decision from a financial standpoint.  But, that's not always the leading factor in decision making.  

10 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

That would clearly be the smartest decision from a financial standpoint

Finances aside, it would be the smartest decision from a not looking like a pretentious douche standpoint. The first thought anyone is going to have watching your wife trying manhandle a baby out of a Porsche is "what kind of fucking clown is this dumb bitch married to?"

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Finances aside, it would be the smartest decision from a not looking like a pretentious douche standpoint. The first thought anyone is going to have watching your wife trying manhandle a baby out of a Porsche is "what kind of fucking clown is this dumb bitch married to?"

Wow! Boat delay causing someone to be a bit grumpy?  And, I could not care less about what some random jackass thinks about my car buying decisions.  To each his own.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

That would clearly be the smartest decision from a financial standpoint.  But, that's not always the leading factor in decision making.  

She's on your ass, huh?

Also, we need to know two more things to properly provide guidance...   What does your wife look like (come on Surly, WTF)...  and what's the other car(s)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

Wow! Boat delay causing someone to be a bit grumpy?  And, I could not care less about what some random jackass thinks about my car buying decisions.  To each his own.  

Lol, no. I'm just saying man. Do what ever you want. If you want to go full aspirational ala pepper, knock yourself out, it's a free country.

ETA: Just to be clear I'm not condemning you dude. We all do totally fucking ridiculous stuff. But be prepared to be called ridiculous when doing said things.

Edited by G650

4 hours ago, Loco said:

She's on your ass, huh?

Also, we need to know two more things to properly provide guidance...   What does your wife look like (come on Surly, WTF)...  and what's the other car(s)?

Surprisingly, no.  I just tend to get rid of cars around 50-75k miles so the timing kind of lined up. And, I followed the appropriate no pics rule :).  There are other cars. Some of the Porsche variety and some not.   

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Lol, no. I'm just saying man. Do what ever you want. If you want to go full aspirational ala pepper, knock yourself out, it's a free country.

ETA: Just to be clear I'm not condemning you dude. We all do totally fucking ridiculous stuff. But be prepared to be called ridiculous when doing said things.

I hear ya.  This is certainly not the first, last or probably the most ridiculous thing I have done or will do. 

Anyone have a high performance all season tire they really like?  I like the Michelin PS A/S3+ on my car, but after 16k miles they are almost shot.  They have a 45k warranty, so this surprised me a bit.  I didn't expect to get 45k out of them, but I did expect 25-30k.  But it is a heavy AWD car with 450hp, so maybe that's what I should expect, I dunno.  Snow tires have worn just as fast, but I expect it with those.

4 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Surprisingly, no.  I just tend to get rid of cars around 50-75k miles so the timing kind of lined up. And, I followed the appropriate no pics rule :).  There are other cars. Some of the Porsche variety and some not.   

Wait, there’s a no pics rule?  This is nam? 

20 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Buy what you want, my wife drove an A5 for several years when our kids were both under the age of 6. It’s what she wanted (she really wanted an S5, but for once I vetoed one of her bad decisions) so she made it work. I’m sure the other moms were pissed at school drop off waiting while they had to both climb out of the back seat while they all hit their minivan sliding door buttons, but who cares.

Saying that, she did wait until they could climb in and out before getting it. She drove a Q5 while they were babies. She’s now driving the largest vehicle she’s ever had (an Expedition) counting the days until the oldest turns 16 where she can go back to a 2 door.

Well after 15 years and probably 350k miles on porsche vehicles with no spare we had our first ever flat tire yesterday on the way to rosemary beach. We were a bit east of lake Charles. The cayenne turbo actually has a spare.  However, my lord you’d need to have an advanced engineering degree from a German engineering college to work just getting the spare tire out of the vehicle, then hook up a compressor to the vehicle battery to fill the 50 mph donut. Luckily, I was 1/4 mile from an exit that had a truck stop.  Made it there, and called a road side assistance. Guy showed up in 5 minutes and was able to plug the tire. Paid him, and hauled ass. Total delay was less than 30 minutes. I’m going to put a tire plug kit in the cars and a compressor that hooks into the internal power sources in the cars. Luckily it wasn’t a totally blow out, just a puncture. Pretty easy to deal with overall.  Of course, that was because i didn’t actually have to change the tire and figure out the complexities of the equipment that came with the vehicle. 

Edited by pepper brooks

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone have a high performance all season tire they really like?  I like the Michelin PS A/S3+ on my car, but after 16k miles they are almost shot.  They have a 45k warranty, so this surprised me a bit.  I didn't expect to get 45k out of them, but I did expect 25-30k.  But it is a heavy AWD car with 450hp, so maybe that's what I should expect, I dunno.  Snow tires have worn just as fast, but I expect it with those.

I'm with you and would have expected 25K or so out of them.  It's still one of the best tires in that class and I feel compromises are made when choosing a tire for longevity.

Take a look at the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500-- it's sold overseas as the Bridgestone Potenze RE003 and has reviewed well among Audizine and Bimmerforum members.  They'll probably save you a few bucks too.

I'm looking forward to a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for a set of HRE wheels waiting to go on the S6.  Gotta make a world of difference over the heavy stock wheels and Pirelli P-Zeroes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

If you have dedicated snow tires, why run all-season?  Or if you have the occasional, unpredictable cold and snowfall, the Michelin CrossClimate line is better compromise -- more performance than even "high performance" all-seasons, but still MS rated and legal for winter

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

Well after 15 years and probably 350k miles on porsche vehicles with no spare we had our first ever flat tire yesterday on the way to rosemary beach. We were a bit east of lake Charles. The cayenne turbo actually has a spare.  However, my lord you’d need to have an advanced engineering degree from a German engineering college to work just getting the spare tire out of the vehicle, then hook up a compressor to the vehicle battery to fill the 50 mph donut. Luckily, I was 1/4 mile from an exit that had a truck stop.  Made it there, and called a road side assistance. Guy showed up in 5 minutes and was able to plug the tire. Paid him, and hauled ass. Total delay was less than 30 minutes. I’m going to put a tire plug kit in the cars and a compressor that hooks into the internal power sources in the cars. Luckily it wasn’t a totally blow out, just a puncture. Pretty easy to deal with overall.  Of course, that was because i didn’t actually have to change the tire and figure out the complexities of the equipment that came with the vehicle. 

reminder to check the pressure in your spare every couple months

If you have dedicated snow tires, why run all-season?  Or if you have the occasional, unpredictable cold and snowfall, the Michelin CrossClimate line is better compromise -- more performance than even "high performance" all-seasons, but still MS rated and legal for winter
I live in CO and in the mountains you can get snow when you don't expect it. Drove over Vail Pass yesterday in a blizzard. I wouldn't want to get stuck in something like that in summer tires.

I'm with you and would have expected 25K or so out of them.  It's still one of the best tires in that class and I feel compromises are made when choosing a tire for longevity.
Take a look at the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500-- it's sold overseas as the Bridgestone Potenze RE003 and has reviewed well among Audizine and Bimmerforum members.  They'll probably save you a few bucks too.
I'm looking forward to a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for a set of HRE wheels waiting to go on the S6.  Gotta make a world of difference over the heavy stock wheels and Pirelli P-Zeroes.
After looking around Audizine, it sounds like these cars just eat tires. Oh, well. Still worth it.

31 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I live in CO and in the mountains you can get snow when you don't expect it. Drove over Vail Pass yesterday in a blizzard. I wouldn't want to get stuck in something like that in summer tires.

Indeed. I've done an unintentional 360 before driving summer tires on snow.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

reminder to check the pressure in your spare every couple months

I comes deflated and collapsed so it will fit on the compartment. They give you a compressor that is powered off the car battery.  Compressor fitting only fits the spare, and there is a bracket holding the tire in the bay that has no obvious way to unscrew it. There is a solid bracket that has no screw on top. I couldn’t figure out how the hell to operate it. Crazy. Looked on line and didn’t see anything for our year. Only the early models. I’m going to ask the dealer to show me how to use it next time I’m there. No way that shit needs to be that complicated.