The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Get an F150, KR, Platinum, or Limited.

5.0 if you want some actual rumble.

FX4 package if you won’t modify anything with suspension yourself...or just 4x4 if you will modify the suspension yourself.

Lariat is also sufficient, depending how much of a toy you want to make it. Saves you some $ with less luxury but then you can use that $ for upgrades : )

You can always build your own Raptor if the truck will become a toy and you want a lot of say on what goes on the truck : )

Over the top examples of what you can do with a 5.0 Lariat 4x4.

d78fe89f486908ef2a965a3d7d2530ca.jpg

a086754924957e18e36e201e55169cd9.jpg

I'd probably go with either the Raptor or Limited if I go truck.

Limited appears to be a little over $80k as built, Raptor about $75k.

I do like that first Lariat picture, but honestly I'm not going to be able to do any of the upgrades myself and won't spend the time to go get it done.

Priced the S6 and MB AMG E53, both came in around $100-105k. The S6 is a 2019 price so could probably get that close to $90k for the 2018 model.

I think I drive too aggressively for the Land Cruiser - came in at $86k.

These are just the online build prices, not actual quotes. None of those are going to happen right now, but nice to think about. 

Fucking cars are expensive as shit these days.

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

I do like that first Lariat picture, but honestly I'm not going to be able to do any of the upgrades myself and won't spend the time to go get it done.

Priced the S6 and MB AMG E53, both came in around $100-105k. The S6 is a 2019 price so could probably get that close to $90k for the 2018 model.

These are just the online build prices, not actual quotes. None of those are going to happen right now, but nice to think about. 

2019 S6 has not even been officially announced yet.  But you can get a 2018 for $60k today with less than 5k miles.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

2019 S6 has not even been officially announced yet.  But you can get a 2018 for $60k today with less than 5k miles.

gotcha, just priced what was online and figured it was 2019. I looked around at pre-owned and didn't really see any S6 options. Where are you finding that?

5 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

gotcha, just priced what was online and figured it was 2019. I looked around at pre-owned and didn't really see any S6 options. Where are you finding that?

Here's one I found in a quick search.  It's in Milwaukee, but there are others out there.  It has free delivery if you like it.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d687&distance=50&zip=80016&sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0&startYear=2018&endYear=2018&isRecentSearchView=true?io=true&format=jpg&auto=webp#listing=233160610

Edited by Chewbacca

23 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

No kidding. I'm blown away by these trucks and SUVs (some of which are the most common vehicles on the road) that cost $50k and well beyond in some cases.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, HoustonHorn said:

raptors don't depreciate.  if you're paying that much for an F150 (and HOLY FUCK at $75k for an F150), get the one that doesn't depreciate.

23 minutes ago, elfenix said:

raptors don't depreciate.  if you're paying that much for an F150 (and HOLY FUCK at $75k for an F150), get the one that doesn't depreciate.

Yeah, that's a crazy price for an F-150.  My BIL just got a new F-350 Platinum dually.  He paid $65k.

23 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

I love my 2018 S6 (and I bought it new, at the end of last year with all the incentives) but if I were to do it over again, I'd rather have a slightly older "fun" performance car like a Coyote Mustang or Gen-2 CTS-V AND a light truck, capable SUV (Grand Cherokee, 4Runner) or JK Wrangler.

It's not construction-site friendly but I've been distracted by the 2019 Merc GLC63 AMG lately.  Would make for a fun car that nearly does it all:

1548177875_mercedes-glc63-amg-renntech-2

1548177564_mercedes-glc63-amg-renntech-5 

That hot-vee 4.0 is already well under-rated and a RennTech flash tune puts it at 601HP and 644 lb-ft.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

I love my 2018 S6 (and I bought it new, at the end of last year with all the incentives) but if I were to do it over again, I'd rather have a slightly older "fun" performance car like a Coyote Mustang or Gen-2 CTS-V AND a light truck, capable SUV (Grand Cherokee, 4Runner) or JK Wrangler.

It's not construction-site friendly but I've been distracted by the 2019 Merc GLC63 AMG lately.  Would make for a fun car that nearly does it all:

That hot-vee 4.0 is already well under-rated and a RennTech flash tune puts it at 601HP and 644 lb-ft.

This may be an option with the RennTech ECU+ at 600+ HP. Holy shit. I love what Mercedes has done with their entire lineup...just beautiful lines. This is an aggressive looking SUV and I like the look and has the space for kids.

6 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

I'd construction site the shit out of that thing.

Here's the view from my vehicle this morning. 

20190502-084324.jpg

Ain’t nothing wrong with a man that takes care of his hands. Just like their ain’t nothing wrong with the rumble of a Porsche despite my electric car leanings. In fact I’ve had a tingling feeling over several 911s out here in LT the last few days. Might have to give those a try soon.

I’m about 2-3 years away from pulling any real triggers but figured I’d throw out a lure here...I need some input on what to research for the future. This will be long-cat, so if it dies with no replies...it dies...tragically I trust you bastards.

I tend to keep my cars a long time. When I moved back to Texas in 02 I bought a 97 Prelude (that I still miss) and kept it until 2010. Before that an ‘89 Bonneville that survived Stillwater for 4 years. I’ve got two kids in car seats so I need a 4-door. In a couple years when my daughter is pushing 5, and my back seat isn’t a sea of crushed Cheerios, I want a new ride.

Current car is an ‘07 CTS-V with 94k on the clock. Just had new shoes affixed, water pump, serp belt and a few other minor things knocked out (oil, TB cleaned out, plugs/wires). Brakes are only two years old, but I’ve had a litany of sensor problems...coolant temp, clutch position, throttle position, sunroof, etc. The CPS apparently has some wiring problem that’ll cost $1k to rewire as it’s an intermittent interface issue at the harness...it throws a code every 6mos or so.

I was leaning V2 for my next car, it’s easy to get addicted to a flat torque curve and a 6spd stick (at 38yo I’m not sure I’m ready to give up rowing my own gears)...but damn I’m tired of a big shop visit every few years. Read on jalopnik how the CT6 is a top-10 unreliable car.

Thoughts on what to look for next? I want another car in ~5s range getting to 60, preferably with a stick, with a nice interior that’ll let me sync up to my phone and leather seats, can fit two car seats in the back and won’t break the bank once it gets to be a decade old. I’ve removed the front clip on my v to change the headlights, the door panels to install new door actuators, etc...so I can be handy when I need to be, but don’t want another garage queen.

Looked at A6/A7s, been soured on Bimmers after my friend replaced the whole cooling system on his 325 and my dad needed a new dash on his 525, worried about sensor problems on a 2010-2013 V2, more reliable options like Lexus don’t come with a stick or are underpowered, etc. I’ve wondered about G8 GXPs, SS or E63 wagons but worry they are unicorns.

Any ideas outside A6/7, 550i, GS350, or V2/G8? My budget will be about 30-40k in 2021, gotta be a midsize+ 4 door, and has to have some capability to dance and sprint as I’ve gotten used to a bit of a bruiser in my V. Older AMG S or E? Will an S4 handle car seats? Is my fear of a V2 overblown? Is the GS that boring? I dunno. Could use some ideas so I can start researching now...when the time comes I’ll have patience to find the right one.

Damn Homercles, good problem to have but I can’t imagine having that many choices.   Mine is simpler, F250 vs 2500?   I’m envious but should be lots out there to ponder. 

I was looking at a 308GTB in Houston before I met my wife...once we started getting serious, realized she’d want kids and wouldn’t tolerate my motorcycle as a backup to a Ferrari waiting on parts the way I would. That’s when my automotive adventures ground to a halt and I started looking at sport sedans.

I think you need to ditch the stick.....it is just going to whittle down your options to almost nothing.

And yeah you’re absolutely right. The agreement we made when I sold my ninja was we’d get a convertible as a third car, may have to keep my 3-pedal action going as a used Miata, Z3 or other 4-cyl drop top.

What would you eye in a couple years with 30-40 in budget and a sport sedan as the goal?

Man, i’d get a nice Passat used for 12k and then get a Porsche with a stick.

Or, I’d get an M5 or gla63

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I joked with the mechanic my next car is a 4cyl Accord with a stick...but that may not be far from the truth. My Prelude was a basic car but the materials were quality, the only computer was the ECU and I could drive over a cigarette butt and tell you the brand given the steering was so tight. I’m tempted to go back to simple living and get my thrills on the weekends.

You’re onto something though. Going to take my time here, which is why I figured I’d float it on Surly.

Why not a Holden (Chevy) SS? The last year (2017) had magnetic shocks, decent infotainment and a 6-speed behind the LS3.

Personally, I'd stretch the budget for a C7 RS7, if you're projecting two years out. It's a bruiser of a car with proven, reliable powertrain, AWD, air suspension (don't get the adjustable performance suspension) and ZF8HP trans. Brakes are EXPENSIVE, mostly in the cost for rotors, but everything will get cheaper on the C7 generation after the C8 RS models emerge.

Why not a Holden (Chevy) SS? The last year (2017) had magnetic shocks, decent infotainment and a 6-speed behind the LS3.

Personally, I'd stretch the budget for a C7 RS7, if you're projecting two years out. It's a bruiser of a car with proven, reliable powertrain, AWD, air suspension (don't get the adjustable performance suspension) and ZF8HP trans. Brakes are EXPENSIVE, mostly in the cost for rotors, but everything will get cheaper on the C7 generation after the C8 RS models emerge.

I’ve had a soft spot for the sleeper look of the SS, if I could find one...and I absolutely love having a fat, lazy V8. Will make sure it’s on the list, and start reading about it...especially the interior, first gen CTS are just flat out embarrassing levels of quality.

I’m out of touch enough I didn’t even know they
Made an RS version of the 7...that may be overkill for what will still be a wagon queen family truckster. I’ve considered that an S6/S7 could be in my price range by then, any thoughts on Audi reliability? Interiors have certainly always been a strong suite.

I'll weigh in on the SS since I've been in one for just over three years and plan to keep for the long run.

First off, I do not have the stick, but definitely wish I did at times. Those who do own them, love them. That said, they are rare, but not V wagon rare. Sticker was close to $50K, but I paid $40K for my 2015 brand new so you'd definitely be able to find one in your budget. They are always popping up for sale on the SS forum I frequent.

As far as your criteria, it sounds like you're mostly looking for what I was looking for. The interior is okay, but not top tier. You can definitely tell where they saved money to keep the price of the car down. Infotainment system is serviceable.

As far as long term reliability goes, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned about part availability. It's an orphan car that GM literally gives no shits about. Some parts are interchangeable with other platforms or plentiful in Australia due to the huge number of Commodores sold over there, but there are also several that were LHD SS specific (windshield, heater core, mag shocks, etc.) My biggest worries are the power steering, which was recalled for seemingly every 2015 except mine, and the mag shocks which I've bitched about before on here.

Who knows what will happen though. It really has been a great car so far and I love driving it every day. I bought the car for the LS3 and I expect it to last with no issues.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

X5 with B&O?  I nearly bought a loaded F15 xDrive50i in 2017.  How good is that system compared to other well-optioned cars you've heard?

I'd say average. My main gripe is it's performance at volume. The caveat is I'm an old audiohead and intrinsically don't expect a hell of a lot out of car audio compared to my usual standards. The X5M only has two trim levels, base and Executive package, which gets the B&O, so I don't know how much it would cost as a stand alone option, but my gut says it would not be a great value proposition. It's certainly not a weak link though.

7 hours ago, Homercles said:

I’m about 2-3 years away from pulling any real triggers but figured I’d throw out a lure here...I need some input on what to research for the future. This will be long-cat, so if it dies with no replies...it dies...tragically I trust you bastards.

I tend to keep my cars a long time. When I moved back to Texas in 02 I bought a 97 Prelude (that I still miss) and kept it until 2010. Before that an ‘89 Bonneville that survived Stillwater for 4 years. I’ve got two kids in car seats so I need a 4-door. In a couple years when my daughter is pushing 5, and my back seat isn’t a sea of crushed Cheerios, I want a new ride.

Current car is an ‘07 CTS-V with 94k on the clock. Just had new shoes affixed, water pump, serp belt and a few other minor things knocked out (oil, TB cleaned out, plugs/wires). Brakes are only two years old, but I’ve had a litany of sensor problems...coolant temp, clutch position, throttle position, sunroof, etc. The CPS apparently has some wiring problem that’ll cost $1k to rewire as it’s an intermittent interface issue at the harness...it throws a code every 6mos or so.

I was leaning V2 for my next car, it’s easy to get addicted to a flat torque curve and a 6spd stick (at 38yo I’m not sure I’m ready to give up rowing my own gears)...but damn I’m tired of a big shop visit every few years. Read on jalopnik how the CT6 is a top-10 unreliable car.

Thoughts on what to look for next? I want another car in ~5s range getting to 60, preferably with a stick, with a nice interior that’ll let me sync up to my phone and leather seats, can fit two car seats in the back and won’t break the bank once it gets to be a decade old. I’ve removed the front clip on my v to change the headlights, the door panels to install new door actuators, etc...so I can be handy when I need to be, but don’t want another garage queen.

Looked at A6/A7s, been soured on Bimmers after my friend replaced the whole cooling system on his 325 and my dad needed a new dash on his 525, worried about sensor problems on a 2010-2013 V2, more reliable options like Lexus don’t come with a stick or are underpowered, etc. I’ve wondered about G8 GXPs, SS or E63 wagons but worry they are unicorns.

Any ideas outside A6/7, 550i, GS350, or V2/G8? My budget will be about 30-40k in 2021, gotta be a midsize+ 4 door, and has to have some capability to dance and sprint as I’ve gotten used to a bit of a bruiser in my V. Older AMG S or E? Will an S4 handle car seats? Is my fear of a V2 overblown? Is the GS that boring? I dunno. Could use some ideas so I can start researching now...when the time comes I’ll have patience to find the right one.

Good lord man.

14 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

X5 with B&O?  I nearly bought a loaded F15 xDrive50i in 2017.  How good is that system compared to other well-optioned cars you've heard?

Im not really an audiophile so I never have the higher end sound system unless I buy something a couple of year old that is equipped with it.  Porsche does a Burmeister sound upgrade that is a 7,500 option.  no way I would ever do that in a car.  pretty sure you get nothing back on that when you sell.  nobody is going to pay a premium for that in the used market.  Same with the carbon brakes at 9,000.  those things add virtually nothing on trade/resale.  

Looks like Porsche just dropped the mid model re-fresh of both Macan and Panamera.  Off as it seems like both of those models just came out a few months ago. The Panamera refresh is odd to me.  It sort of looks more like the 2010-2013 inaugural Panamera.  Seems like a step back, although I always thought the MK2 2014-2016 front end of the Panamera was their best looking front to date.  The back from the b pillar beyond was so awkward from the side view.  

6 hours ago, Homercles said:

I’ve had a soft spot for the sleeper look of the SS, if I could find one...and I absolutely love having a fat, lazy V8. Will make sure it’s on the list, and start reading about it...especially the interior, first gen CTS are just flat out embarrassing levels of quality.

I’m out of touch enough I didn’t even know they
Made an RS version of the 7...that may be overkill for what will still be a wagon queen family truckster. I’ve considered that an S6/S7 could be in my price range by then, any thoughts on Audi reliability? Interiors have certainly always been a strong suite.

I can name a car that has 4 doors, 700 hp, 650 lb-ft of torque, and goes 0-60 in 3.6 with a big v8 and a little forced air help and can hit 200 mph.

However, that car is the Dodge Charger srt hellcat, so it will come up lacking in your other metrics such as fit and finish, or reliability. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

12 hours ago, Homercles said:

And yeah you’re absolutely right. The agreement we made when I sold my ninja was we’d get a convertible as a third car, may have to keep my 3-pedal action going as a used Miata, Z3 or other 4-cyl drop top.

miata is always the answer

34 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can name a car that has 4 doors, 700 hp, 650 lb-ft of torque, and goes 0-60 in 3.6 with a big v8 and a little forced air help and can hit 200 mph.

However, that car is the Dodge Charger srt hellcat, so it will come up lacking in your other metrics such as fit and finish, or reliability. 

Or the ability to go in any direction other than a straight line.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And the Charger's Natty Lite version, the 392 R/T Scat Pack.  Somewhat like their truck counterparts, I'd expect the engine and trans to hold up long term while everything around the drivetrain ages to brittle state.

I can't imagine holding onto any of these high-boosted or high-strung performance sedans beyond 6 years/100K, but the domestic versions are probably the easiest to wrench on and obtain parts for long-term.  You could stick with boring and reliable via Lexus GS-F, but there's no redeeming quality in that car, to me, beyond its exhaust note and use of a normal-aspirated V8.  It's otherwise tacky looking, performs at the bottom of its segment but probably reliable for no other reason than kaizen and Toyota.  

No, you can't change my mind, since the LF-A is no longer produced, the Lexus F-line is all fail.  Almost as cheesy as the overt-English-accent narration used in their commercials.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Homercles said:

I’m about 2-3 years away from pulling any real triggers but figured I’d throw out a lure here...

++++++

I’ve wondered about G8 GXPs, SS or E63 wagons but worry they are unicorns.

With 2-3 years to work with, I wouldn't let unicorniness worry you. You can find exactly what you want as soon as you figure out what you want. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

With 2-3 years to work with, I wouldn't let unicorniness worry you. You can find exactly what you want as soon as you figure out what you want. 

That’s what I’m thinking. Real unicorn is a V2 stick wagon but they are 20% higher priced for a reason.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:51 PM, Homercles said:

We've been looking German and Japanese, and tend to keep cars for 10 or so years. Wife says the 7 series is just too big. With that said we are starting to look at the Lexus GS F. N/A 5.0 467hp, not a speed demon, but pretty quick, and Toyota build quality and reliability. Has paddle shifters, not really rowing, but those are tough to find in anything now.

CHIEF