The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Was going to put this in "Can You Help Me With This", but have a bit more trust in the posters over here. We are retiring the 4Runner from our road trip vehicle, and started looking for a big comfortable sedan. Mrs. CHIEF and I both work from home, so this will be her vehicle to drive to Houston a few times per year, and runs down to Austin (180 miles) from Granbury for football games. We rented a 740 last weekend to drive from DC to Philly, we loved the space, and the smooth ride. Would probably look for a 2016-17 750LI. Had a couple of buddies tell me the main issue they had with their BMWs, is that they don't ever have an engine service light come on, they just leave you on the side of the road. 

I know there are several of you that have owned BMWs over multiple vehicles, and multiple years. Both myself, and CHIEF Jr. are mechanically inclined (he is working as a boat mechanic, while in college), so we can do maintenance and general repairs ourselves. Just looking for something reliable,  just don't want Mrs. CHIEF broken down on the side of the road in Greenspoint.

CHIEF

How much power would you like from the 7?  The N63 reverse-flow twin turbo V8 has been through a few iterations, and for the model years you're looking at, it'll be the improved Tu2 model that addressed a number of issues from the first-gen N63 hot-vee.  Oil consumption, brittle rubber and plastic turbocharger oil and coolant lines and fueling-related misfires are the top concerns with the V8.  Like all their V8s, BMW's recommended 10K synthetic oil change intervals should be addressed much sooner, perhaps around 6,000-8,000 miles per change.

If Mrs. Chief doesn't mind road trips with 120hp/100ft-# less output, the inline-6 turbo B48 went into the 740i and most of BMW's U.S. fleet at the same time.  It's a reliable, fairly proven engine connected to the same ZF8HP transmission.

If you don't mind the differences in tech, you should take a look at a 2015-up Audi A8 as well.  It has the same 4.0tt V8 from the S6/S7 mated to the same ZF8 auto and fixed AWD with Continental-supplied air suspension.  BMW's iDrive infotainment is far more advanced than the MIB MMI in the Audi (that didn't even get Carplay in the D4 generation), but the A8 offers a ton of room, comfort, additional aluminum construction and value, now that the last somewhat-analog D4 generation was replaced by the new D5 model.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You guys can’t compare a GT’s performance to a 911.  Lol. It’s a touring car.  Yeah the tech lacking sucks but overall Aston still kicks serious ass.  

I realize that and realized that after driving it, BUT Aston is the one who claimed it was going to compete with the 911 in that segment.  If you're going to make a 2 seat, mid engine car and claim it to be a competitor to a legendary car, then I expect it should have some of the same driving characteristics, and be somewhat competitive, no?  I never had that expectation of the M6 because it never claimed to be anything other than a touring coupe.  

7 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

I realize that and realized that after driving it, BUT Aston is the one who claimed it was going to compete with the 911 in that segment.  If you're going to make a 2 seat, mid engine car and claim it to be a competitor to a legendary car, then I expect it should have some of the same driving characteristics, and be somewhat competitive, no?  I never had that expectation of the M6 because it never claimed to be anything other than a touring coupe.  

Oh yeah, that's some idiotic marketing.  Show some dime piece and the Aston.  There's all the marketing you need if you're Aston Martin. 

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

The limited N-series Vantage are supposed to match Porsche in driving.  Aston may have overreached by comparing them (N400, N420, N430, etc) to GT3s, but they're priced similar to Carrera S, and supposed to drive as good or even better.  They did really well on the UK magazines annual car of the year tests

I kinda kick started the Aston convo with a few pics and i passed a new 911 in the parking lot at the elementary school the other day and meant to comment here ....

Hot dayum.

My bestie’s husband has one and I like it but this gun metal new one I saw made me tingle. I might have to get one soon. I might even dreamt of my gf touching and kissing my titties while in it too.

I mean G650 said cars are sex and what not.

• Like 1

any other Houstonians notice the complete and utter shit show momentum Porsche has become in the last year?  I have been servicing my cars there for 15 years.  A bit over a year ago they turned over the entire service department.  I do not know what in the heck happened, but all the long time guys out there were canned.  They were a fantastic team who new how to treat people, and were extremely knowledgeable about the cars.  Here we are a year or year and a half since they all departed and I can say I will never take a vehicle there again.  Sucks because it's the closest to our house, but luckily we do not have to take these things in very often.  Wife had a couple of small warranty things to get done to her Cayenne TT.  decide to get the oil service done while there.  6 days later we get a warning light that the thing is 2 quarts low.  Also of note while there they try and get her to do a full maintenance service of new spark plugs, et al.  Well, the car had all of that done via the CPO process when we bought it, and in the service settings the car the indicator tells us we have over year remaining before any further maintenance required.  She mentions this, and the service advisor tells her, "well I have no record of any of that being done, they could have just claimed to have performed all those things when you bought it, you should consider doing this anyway".  Despite her very considerably poor judgment in men, she's no shrinking violet and responds, "well I can read the service indicator in the settings menu which tells me I need no service for quite some time, and I can also tell you that what you are suggesting about the items not being performed when the purchase was made would is fraud, and I can also tell you that I no longer trust any of you people, and after servicing 5 Porsche vehicles, 3 of which we still own, at this shop over the last 15 years, we will never return."  Everyone looks in stunned disbelief, 3rd service manager in 18 months comes out of office to try and diffuse the situation only to make it worst as her judgment is questioned for hiring advisors who would try such a scam, and tells her this kind of thing may have worked at Kia or wherever they came from, but will not fly here. 

• Like 3

On 4/15/2019 at 8:30 PM, troph said:

I kinda kick started the Aston convo with a few pics and i passed a new 911 in the parking lot at the elementary school the other day and meant to comment here ....

My bestie’s husband has one and I like it but this gun metal new one I saw made me tingle. I might have to get one soon. I might even dreamt of my gf touching and kissing my titties while in it too.

giphy.gif