The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Car gazing in London this week. Saw a Bentley suv. The ass sticks out on that thing in an absurd way. I think I saw a rolls suv if such a thing exists, but it was pretty far away. Looked to have suicide style rear doors and a huge hood ornament. 

Driver said that here guys in their 30s buy Audi, guys in their 40s buy bmw, and guys in their 50s buy MB.  That’s the market feel of more sporty towards more comfortable. 

51 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Car gazing in London this week. Saw a Bentley suv. The ass sticks out on that thing in an absurd way. I think I saw a rolls suv if such a thing exists, but it was pretty far away. Looked to have suicide style rear doors and a huge hood ornament. 

Driver said that here guys in their 30s buy Audi, guys in their 40s buy bmw, and guys in their 50s buy MB.  That’s the market feel of more sporty towards more comfortable. 

There's the Rolls and Bentley showrooms on Berkeley Square. Porsche too.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:58 PM, drewlaws said:

New (Miami blue?) GT3RS spotted today on bee caves and 360. Still had dealer plates.

72b1dfdf9cd362a000c7539c46893b6f.jpg

While I’m trying to post pics on tapa for the first time, here’s a McLaren 675LT I saw on dirty 6th several months ago.

ce9dc4974ca6a703025dd348fc6b9bba.jpg
fdf5ed8271cea1df27dee48f9ff6de3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got damn that brings back some good memories.  Loved that fucking color too.  

Been a long time lurker in this thread. Love muscle cars, exotics and the likes. Y’all have some badass cars I dig looking at on here.

This is mine, she’s a heavy boat but I love her lines and throw back look, despite being a dodge. I’ve lucked out, this is my 2nd Challenger and I’ve had 0 problems through the first 1.5 year with this one after my first flooded.

34ed23ccc1cf6c215d85d475fa515a43.jpg
2ee36605ac61aca73abf83d0c7177170.jpg
c4e8f524fd90fd68b94f6ce6cda59d76.jpg

• Like 9

Question for you guys.  What has been your experience with Alcantara steering wheels and seat upholstery?  I get why it gets used a bit here and there, but in the gently used cars that I prefer, it always seems a little "grubby."  Can it be cleaned easily/well?  I kind of assume that when I see it in a used car, it has already been cleaned, but I don't know for a fact.

As mentioned upthread, the Cadillac ATS, used, has to be one of the most compelling used-car deals out there.  That extends, also, to the ATS-V.  But many of the Vs have Recaro seats with Alcantara (or similar) inserts and sometimes steering wheels and the couple I have looked at didn't seem to have worn well, or maybe were just dirty.  Similar experience eyeballing used M series a few years ago.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I also worry that I have grubby hands.  When I wipe down a regular leather steering wheel, which I try to do with some regularity, I get what seems to be staggering amounts of dirt/oil off it.  I'm not a mechanic or oilfield worker, so there's no particular reason my hands should be dirtier than average, but I worry that I would fuck up Alcantara super fast.  Maybe that's normal, I have no basis for comparison.

I'm also a decent sized guy, 6-1 ~200, and, although I fit in most cars reasonably well, smaller/sportier ones mean I tend to do some acrobatics getting in and out.  Meaning, I often have to rotate 90 degrees in the seat to get in and out, or slide over the seat, which can be kind of rough on the bolsters, and might be extra hard on Alcantara panels.

I use a baby wipe when I have them in my alcantara seats otherwise it’s just one of my microfiber towels before I use it on the exterior.

I was worried going from the normal leather seats to the “suede” as I call’em seats because I have a 7yo taht sucks at keeping snacks in their container but no issues yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The oils in your skin will wear it down if you don’t clean it all the time or wear gloves.

e0cb012c9b072f1e0b057844df8b5434.jpg

If you are wearing racing gloves it’s great, but other than that, I’d prefer normal leather.

If you're driving a Porsche without mesh driving gloves, are you even trying ?

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I also worry that I have grubby hands.  When I wipe down a regular leather steering wheel, which I try to do with some regularity, I get what seems to be staggering amounts of dirt/oil off it.  I'm not a mechanic or oilfield worker, so there's no particular reason my hands should be dirtier than average, but I worry that I would fuck up Alcantara super fast.  Maybe that's normal, I have no basis for comparison.

I'm also a decent sized guy, 6-1 ~200, and, although I fit in most cars reasonably well, smaller/sportier ones mean I tend to do some acrobatics getting in and out.  Meaning, I often have to rotate 90 degrees in the seat to get in and out, or slide over the seat, which can be kind of rough on the bolsters, and might be extra hard on Alcantara panels.

I am 6'4 and I don't have any issues getting into my cars, both of which are low slung, one of which has alcantara seats.  im not seeing any unusual wear and tear from getting into and out of the one that has the alcantara seats.  

On 3/15/2019 at 1:23 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Been a long time lurker in this thread. Love muscle cars, exotics and the likes. Y’all have some badass cars I dig looking at on here.

This is mine, she’s a heavy boat but I love her lines and throw back look, despite being a dodge. I’ve lucked out, this is my 2nd Challenger and I’ve had 0 problems through the first 1.5 year with this one after my first flooded.

34ed23ccc1cf6c215d85d475fa515a43.jpg
2ee36605ac61aca73abf83d0c7177170.jpg
c4e8f524fd90fd68b94f6ce6cda59d76.jpg

fuck yes man! i love destroyer gray. couldn’t find one when looking for mine so i went with a white 392. 

this is the only pic i could i find on my ipad but you get the idea  

552-D309-E-91-DC-4515-B4-CE-3-FCDDBF80-F

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joe dirt said:

fuck yes man! i love destroyer gray. couldn’t find one when looking for mine so i went with a white 392. 

552-D309-E-91-DC-4515-B4-CE-3-FCDDBF80-F

I don't trust anyone whose garage is that empty / clean...  probably a serial killer...  you're on the list

• Like 2

552-D309-E-91-DC-4515-B4-CE-3-FCDDBF80-F56.jpg

I ordered mine to spec and I sat there for about 15 minutes deciding between white knuckle and destroyer grey.

Wasn’t a fan of white challengers until the T/A rolled out, it looks damn good.

My first was a pitch black that I regretted not going with the shaker, so when it got flooded I knew I’d be getting a T/A or at minimum a Shaker

Does MB sell the A class here?  Saw an A45 amg last week and it looked like fun. Weird paint job though, looked like a 1994 mustang cobra with the multichromic paint or whatever it was called. 

The new one yes. The old sedan was the CLA. We didn’t get the A45 AMG which was the performance hatch.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:53 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Question for you guys.  What has been your experience with Alcantara steering wheels and seat upholstery?  I get why it gets used a bit here and there, but in the gently used cars that I prefer, it always seems a little "grubby."  Can it be cleaned easily/well?  I kind of assume that when I see it in a used car, it has already been cleaned, but I don't know for a fact.

As mentioned upthread, the Cadillac ATS, used, has to be one of the most compelling used-car deals out there.  That extends, also, to the ATS-V.  But many of the Vs have Recaro seats with Alcantara (or similar) inserts and sometimes steering wheels and the couple I have looked at didn't seem to have worn well, or maybe were just dirty.  Similar experience eyeballing used M series a few years ago.

Alcantara is dumb marketing dogshit and it pisses me off how widespread it is now. Tavarish agrees:

https://jalopnik.com/suede-is-a-garbage-material-for-car-interiors-1733409981

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Loco said:

I don't trust anyone whose garage is that empty / clean...  probably a serial killer...  you're on the list

18 hours ago, The Royal We said:

This was my exact thought as well.  No kids, pets, hobbies - or you've got a 10 car garage or somesuch.  Or, serial killer.

haha i keep a two foot radius around sally jr. the kids’ shit piles up in the other side.

CA0-DC534-C2-B3-4624-BD1-F-89202-C43366-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Alcantara is dumb marketing dogshit and it pisses me off how widespread it is now. Tavarish agrees:

https://jalopnik.com/suede-is-a-garbage-material-for-car-interiors-1733409981

suede is nice though, texture makes it more interesting to look at.  hell i prefer it for all my shoes and thats literally exposed to the outside environment, every day.  in my car its dark gray/blue so hides dirt well.  getting in tan or beige is asking trouble, but no different from light-colored leather

So getting into and out of my 2016 with leather seats was easier than my 2018 with alcantara, but I notice that my butt/body stays planted much better in my 2018. I would slide into the pockets of my seat when taking harder turns.

Also the alcantara makes the seat quicker to warm or cool when I start her up in the cold mornings or scorched summer days

luckily I do not have it on the steering wheel.  Only in the middle of the seats.  The outside bolsters are regular leather.  I would think it would be pretty worn and nasty on a steering wheel with all the oil from your hands.  The middle section of seats?  I like it.  Keeps my ass planted in the seat in the corners, and so far mine has worn very well.  Still looks new.  

So.....Porsche...…

After about a 20 year run of almost flawless execution they may have lost their minds.  It would seem they are taking the Lambo/Audi Q8 platform and leveraging it into what is being called the Cayenne Coupe.  I am not sure what market theyre really trying to capture here.  Steal sales from the shit box BMW X6?  The merc gls?  No idea, but I just don't see justifying the expense to add/modify production lines to add this vehicle to the fold.  that said, I kinda like the styling.  But still, it's not by any means a coupe, and it's not an SUV.  It's heavy and sits kinda like an SUV, but has reduced utility.  To me this is a vehicle that does nothing well.  It's a hybrid vehicle that doesn't excel as a crossover as it's not enough "coupe", and is a terrible SUV as the slope of the back does not allow for much, if any, utility.  Maybe I am just out of touch.  About the only thing I see this doing is cannibalizing sales of the regular Cayenne, but why spend all the R&D and production money to basically lower sales of your best selling vehicle?  

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g26885616/2020-porsche-cayenne-coupe-photos-info-gallery/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

everyones doing it.  just take an existing box car (suv) and make it less usable.

they are.  This one and the audi Q8 seem to be the best executed from a style perspective.  They certainly look a ton better than the BMW and Merc versions.  I just didn't expect such a car that has a lack of real function from Porsche.  I may be proven wrong on this, but I just don't see the need in their lineup.