The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 12/27/2018 at 12:44 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

This morning, before the weather changes later today I took the '98 911 out, top down, and then the '68 Buick Riviera. Not a bad day for a couple short drives. Put about 60 miles on both. It's amazing how different the brakes are between the two. The Riviera still has its original drums and the Porsche has what would be comparable to Westinghouse Air Brakes.

My buddy in high school had a 72 Riviera with a 455 in it. That thing was a death trap.

• Like 1

I rented a Mercedes c63 Amg this week in los angekes. That thing is a freaking monster. I loved everything about that car other than the entertainment display. It’s so  out of place and just not befitting that car. It’s like an afterthought they simply glued onto the dashboard because they forgot to put it into the design. It’s horrible and distracting. That said, with that engine and drive platform I could easily get over it. 

19 hours ago, G650 said:

My buddy in high school had a 72 Riviera with a 455 in it. That thing was a death trap.

I like the pre-70s Rivieras the most. I really, really like mine. But I really, really, really like the 1963. Mine has the 430. It's not a death trap, although I have thought of swapping out the drums for disks. I think I like mine more because it is not bloated as the later models. It's cleaner.

On 12/27/2018 at 11:44 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

This morning, before the weather changes later today I took the '98 911 out, top down, and then the '68 Buick Riviera. Not a bad day for a couple short drives. Put about 60 miles on both. It's amazing how different the brakes are between the two. The Riviera still has its original drums and the Porsche has what would be comparable to Westinghouse Air Brakes.

Yep  - I had a similar experience recently comparing the brakes on my 335 with my 67 Mustang, which has unpowered drum brakes to go with the unjointed, non-collapsible  "harpoon" steering column.  It's amazing in retrospect that I lived through High School and college driving that thing, because while I put plenty of thought and attention into getting what I could from the powertrain, stopping on purpose or by accident wasn't a priority at the time.
Reflecting on the difference I've decided to donate the car to charity for auction or whatever to some old codger who will restore or hopefully resto-mod it properly and drive it slowly, mainly because I don't want my kids or my cousin behind the wheel of that thing. It's a death trap.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I like the pre-70s Rivieras the most. I really, really like mine. But I really, really, really like the 1963. Mine has the 430. It's not a death trap, although I have thought of swapping out the drums for disks. I think I like mine more because it is not bloated as the later models. It's cleaner.

Yeah, the 70s were maximum bloat. Literal land yachts. We always called my buddy's one the Batmoblie

While we're on the topic of '70s Buicks and safety upgrades, I'm planning to replace the tires (probably 15-20 years old?) and wheels (currently riding on 14s) which will allow me to upgrade to discs on my mom's '71 Skylark convertible that I've inherited. 

It's currently being stored in my stepmom's garage until I can build a detached garage at the house we just closed on.

My dad was shamefully lazy about proper maintenance and upkeep, and there's a lot of really frustrating minor shit that never should have been ignored or "repaired" in the way he (incorrectly) thought was adequate and reasonable.

For example, the front driver's side tire has either a slow leak or a bent wheel such that this has happened during winter storage for the past 10-15 years or more - I can't even make an educated guess. It will hold air once filled up (or at least it always has in the past) and it's good for a month or two between fill ups over the spring and summer during its operational time. But this should have been diagnosed and addressed a decade ago.

I'm planning on driving it up to Chicago this summer (~175 miles when avoiding the interstate, and will have a chase vehicle) after I get my garage built. I'll probably do the new wheels and tires before making the journey though. I'm a little curious about whether I'll be able to find larger wire wheels that can accommodate a disc brake package or if I'm going to have to get used to a different style... ba61a8df642b1e07af544cbc73604cf5.jpg4bf85d4c6c6ee2323e6032d7afeb9910.jpgc63b9a4805732d70441da78bb34dda1d.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

My step dad likes to chase / shop for fun cars. He has a 65 restomod truck that he’s selling. He sent me a 2015 F-Type Jag saying he wants a new toy. He wants to stay around $30k, which put the Jag out of his range.

What can I point him towards? Early 2000 Porsche? Vette’s? He will keep a year or two at most.

For a while in college had a Metallic Blue 72 Electra with a 455. It was 19 Feet long and had a curb weight of 4900 pounds.  I installed an airhorn and called it The Nimitz. Fantastic highway car for long, straight drives in flat country. 
Funny, I was having a similar conversation about this car last week. Granny had one. Monkey Puke Green. It was a yacht... On the highway and in the city.

I wonder if I can dig one up.
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 4:01 PM, Goofyboy said:

My step dad likes to chase / shop for fun cars. He has a 65 restomod truck that he’s selling. He sent me a 2015 F-Type Jag saying he wants a new toy. He wants to stay around $30k, which put the Jag out of his range.

What can I point him towards? Early 2000 Porsche? Vette’s? He will keep a year or two at most.

Send him the link to https://bringatrailer.com/. That should give him plenty of good/bad ideas.

For a while in college had a Metallic Blue 72 Electra with a 455. It was 19 Feet long and had a curb weight of 4900 pounds.  I installed an airhorn and called it The Nimitz. Fantastic highway car for long, straight drives in flat country. 

This makes me hard.

Is that wrong?

Toyota Supra officially revealed

2020-toyota-supra-5.jpg

2020-toyota-supra-23.jpg

2020-toyota-supra-31.jpg

2020-toyota-supra-14.jpg

exterior styling concept:  8/10 ... lots of mk3 supra seen in the lights

exterior shape:  8/10 ... classic FR layout

rear/rear 3rd:  10/10 ... hawt, just like prototypes

overall exterior looks:  7/10.. .just way overstylized...ugly wheels... too many incisions

interior:  laughably bmw.  steering wheel is bmw from 2 generations ago.  bmw transmission stalk.  idrive controller.  full bmw hvac, radio, vents, buttons, display cluster graphics.

drivetrain is bmw motor + zf transmission

basically all full on BMW parts bin.  unless toyota fully developed the suspension in house, why even call it a toyota

Pedestrian impact requirements are killing nose and hood design. BMW interior is a major turnoff. As is BMW motor. As a friend put it, this might be the least reliable Toyota ever made.

I really want to like it, and hope for a different impression in person and in driving. Longer body than BRZ but shorter wheelbase, and a couple hundred pounds heavier in weight. Who is the target buyer for the base engine with 194hp?? (Likely not coming to the US market.)

Weight for the 4cyl is 3200# which is pretty good all things considered.  That variant might sell in some EU jurisdiction where there's big tax on power and emissions output. 

Not sure how much more the 6cyl adds.

Some early drives from the pre-prod Z4 reports that it's inert in dynamic behavior.  So really the Supra suspension needs to be magic to make a compelling car.  (But then again Supra was always more GT than sports coupe....)

23 hours ago, 52-80 said:

steering wheel is bmw from 2 generations ago.

This is wild. It's literally an early 2000's BMW steering wheel. What on earth is the thinking on that? They had to restart an ancient assembly line just to make these damn things.

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Grassroots Motorsports forum response: "So Toyota has a 487hp V8 and a torsen and Brembos and a decent coupe chassis and they had to let BMW do the heavy engineering on the Supra why?"

Referring to the Lexus RC F. The man does have a point.

basically, BMW swindled them out of subsidizing development for the new Z4.

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2019 at 7:42 PM, BurntEyes said:

If you're gonna wait nearly 20 years to bring a beloved car back into production .

Get it right.

Toyota didn't, at all. 

It's more than beloved.  The 90s Supra Turbo is one of Toyota's most iconic cars they've ever made.  This new car is a joke.

• Like 2

People pay $90K for a Toyota (Lexus) or Nissan (Infiniti), etc. I actually really like the direction Lincoln is headed. The Aviator will be on our list this time next year.

Yep. Escalade too. The non-Lexus Toyota Land Cruiser is $90k, too. Kind of a different animal but yeah.  

Lots of Escalade buyers are already buying the Navigator.

Not to mention that a $400k Ford already exists, and the GT500 will probably crest $100k as well.