The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

My simmering dread about owning an out of warranty German car was justified yesterday. Both motor mounts, transmission mount, transmission cooling system all went. About 2 grand. May be time to look for something else.

I’m thinking of going for something different next. Maybe a 4Runner or Grand Cherokee. Something I can take Jr hunting and fishing in but that cleans up well enough for customers.

Sounds cheap frankly...  VW?

also Cavalry Blue 4runner doit.gif

My simmering dread about owning an out of warranty German car was justified yesterday. Both motor mounts, transmission mount, transmission cooling system all went. About 2 grand. May be time to look for something else.

I’m thinking of going for something different next. Maybe a 4Runner or Grand Cherokee. Something I can take Jr hunting and fishing in but that cleans up well enough for customers.
You have an A6, right? How many miles?

My 6 year old A7 also has the engine mount issue. Sitting in idle I get a sybian like vibration to my ass and dick. Goes away when I drive. Don’t have any of those transmission issues though. Dealership told me would be 2k just to fix that. I told them I’ll enjoy the vibrations until time for trade in. 

It’s a good time for the 4 door mid/large sport coupe/sedan. 

Panamera beautiful

new CLS beautiful 

8 Gran Coupe looks good (with typical shitty bmw interiors)

new A7 looks ok (still not sold on rear)

amg gt 4 door looks good 

can spend anywhere from 85k-180k and get a great car (with sub 5s 0-60) to a fucking 0-2.9 sec track car in 4 doors. 

I’m eagerly awaiting seeing all these in the flesh and choosing one of these soon as my out of warranty 6 year old Audi scares me. 

• Like 1

I love my Alfa... I'm a year in and no issues so *fingers crossed*.  Had a CLS550 that I loved but had all kinds of suspension issues and it was a well-known problem with airmatic.  Funny... everyone picks on the Italians but keeps quiet about the Germans.  Having had both, we'll see... still too early to tell.  I know the Quadrifoglio has more issues that a Ti Sport.

47 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I love my Alfa... I'm a year in and no issues so *fingers crossed*.  Had a CLS550 that I loved but had all kinds of suspension issues and it was a well-known problem with airmatic.  Funny... everyone picks on the Italians but keeps quiet about the Germans.  Having had both, we'll see... still too early to tell.  I know the Quadrifoglio has more issues that a Ti Sport.

My german cars have been all over the map.  Ive had a couple of great BMW's 1998 540i, 2004 335i the wife had was great.  Had some ok BMW - 2006 X5, 1996 318ic, and some absolute dog turd BMW's.  The shitty ones are more recent, and have ensured that brand is dead to me.  No more.  Of my Porsche vehicles I can say they have all been fantastic.  That consists of 2 911's (still have one, but it's recreational at this point), a 2012 Cayenne S that was absolutely awesome for the 100K miles we had it.  The daily drivers we have now are relatively new and still under warranty, but so far so good on them.  On the Panamera gts I have only done the 20k scheduled maintenance so far.  Nothing else has popped up.  The Cayenne we now have was acquired back in September so that one hasn't had anything going on yet other than burning an absolute ass ton of gasoline.   Hoping they all work out as well as the 911 and former Cayenne.  If so, we will continue to be satisfied customers.  

I don't know that many people who drive Mercedes so I cannot say much about them.  SIL has an S class, but it's brand new.  It's beautiful.  HAve several friends who have Audis, and they generally seem happy.  I had an A4 for a short period of time, and enjoyed it.  Nobody seems to be having any major issues.  

I really love the styling on the current Alpha Romeo cars.  I hope yours is one of the good ones.  They all certainly pass the eyeball test.  My BIL has an old mid 80's AR Spyder that he has had for probably 25 years.  It's awesome.  He did a minor restore on it several years ago.  Great looking car, and fun to cruise around in on a nice spring or fall day.  

I can't say I had too many issues with my 2006 Z4... stick shift, lots of fun to drive, bought it used with 50K+ miles and my mechanic gave it a clean bill of health before I bought it.  Had it for 3-4 years before Harvey took it.

The Alfa is great... love driving it and just pushing it.  I mostly leave the setting in Sport mode and you can tell it wants to get pushed.  Handling is a dream.  Yes, I hope its a good one, too because it makes me want to go get a 4C.

• Like 1

Mercedes have pretty much always been the most solid of the German makers. Somewhat uninspiring, except the top end of their line, but they just work.

Their F1 team and Mercedes HPP (even though both of them are mostly British folk), are top notch as well. Incredibly streamlined and have a great management structure and they work extremely well as a team. It’s impressive.
  • Like 1

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

Their F1 team and Mercedes HPP (even though both of them are mostly British folk), are top notch as well. Incredibly streamlined and have a great management structure and they work extremely well as a team. It’s impressive.

For sure.

Mercedes overall is a much better run outfit than any of the other automakers, a lot of which has to do with their size and scope. They have a huge portfolio that covers a ton of different industries beyond car making. Ford, BMW, Toyota and Honda are pretty well done as well, even though the latter two have struggled intermittently as of late.

Saw a brand new Panamera with a yellow taxi placard on the roof yesterday, parked at the taxi stop.  They only sell the GTS or Turbo II variants in this market, so it starts at 175k EUR minimum. 

Dunno if the dude is a tax cheat or ran out of money paying for it or what.  I was inclined to hop inside and ask for a ride, if I didnt have my dog with me.

On 11/15/2018 at 12:55 PM, G650 said:

For sure.

Mercedes overall is a much better run outfit than any of the other automakers, a lot of which has to do with their size and scope. They have a huge portfolio that covers a ton of different industries beyond car making. Ford, BMW, Toyota and Honda are pretty well done as well, even though the latter two have struggled intermittently as of late.

doesn't belong on this list since mulally retired. 

On 11/6/2018 at 9:55 PM, Fat Bastard said:

It’s a good time for the 4 door mid/large sport coupe/sedan. 

Panamera beautiful

new CLS beautiful 

8 Gran Coupe looks good (with typical shitty bmw interiors)

new A7 looks ok (still not sold on rear)

amg gt 4 door looks good 

can spend anywhere from 85k-180k and get a great car (with sub 5s 0-60) to a fucking 0-2.9 sec track car in 4 doors. 

I’m eagerly awaiting seeing all these in the flesh and choosing one of these soon as my out of warranty 6 year old Audi scares me. 

The new amg gt 4 door look way too much like a bmw 6 series grand coupe. Like, waaay too similar. The s model delivers some stupid performance. Wow. 

Edited by pepper brooks

4 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

.  Interior is about 8 orders of magnitude better as bmw interiors are pure trash. 

Most functional and intuitive in the business, though.  Dials where there should be dials.  Buttons where there should be buttons.  Dedicated displays where readouts are required e.g. temperature selection.  

And iDrive is heads and shoulders above everyone else in terms of interfacing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

I disagree. The front fascia of MB has a much more aggressive stance and is beefier.  Interior is about 8 orders of magnitude better as bmw interiors are pure trash. 

I dont have much familiarity with the lower spec BMWs, but my F85 interior borders on being too nice. The E70 was much more appropriate for a performance vehicle imo.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Lol. 'I don't have much familiarity with the lower spec BMW's.

Only on Surly.

Ha. I mean, I also have a 95' F350 with like infinity miles, so that's not really what I meant. I seriously have only ever messed around with BMWs on the performance side.

9 minutes ago, Okie State said:
26 minutes ago, G650 said:
Ha. I mean, I also have a 95' F350 with like infinity miles, so that's not really what I meant. I seriously have only ever messed around with BMWs on the performance side.

Just fucking with you. Classic Surly quote though.

For real man. Cant even help ourselves lol.

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Which thread is where we appreciate pure beaters? I’m putting this here just for contrast.

ive seen so many damn cars this week that shouldnt pass smog or inspection (if inspectors actually cared to adhere to rules), or simply dont belong on the road... entire bumpers missing, etc

My first kiddo is coming early next year and I will need to replace my e90 6MT 3 series with something more kid-friendly (bigger) that my wife can drive in a pinch (no manuals).

Does anyone have any experience with a 958.1 Cayenne Turbo? A 2013-14 Cayenne Turbo is getting strong consideration for around $50k. Am I nuts? Pros: V8, quick, practical, luxurious. Cons: Expensive to maintain, old in-car tech. At various times, I've also thought about a '16+ C63S (concerned about size), '16+ CTS-V (over budget), Macan Turbo (small and not V8) or another SRT Jeep (reputation of poor build quality). Any other ideas? 

I'm also considering a dull lifeless TLX for $20k and sidelining the fun car thing for a while.

What say you surly car fanatics?

Edited by drewlaws

Here is the kid car advice I wish I had received. You and your wife each keep a nice car in the garage. Get/keep what you want. Use these for work, date night and other non-kid duty. Next, go buy a Honda or Toyota minivan. Park it outside, use it for all kid and family activities. Maintain it mechanically, but don't sweat the spills, puke, scratches, stains, etc. When the kids are older, go drive the van into a field, light it on fire and walk away. Trying to clean melted crayons out of a Cayenne Turbo on a Texas summer day sounds like a nightmare. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gasman said:

Here is the kid car advice I wish I had received. You and your wife each keep a nice car in the garage. Get/keep what you want. Use these for work, date night and other non-kid duty. Next, go buy a Honda or Toyota minivan. Park it outside, use it for all kid and family activities. Maintain it mechanically, but don't sweat the spills, puke, scratches, stains, etc. When the kids are older, go drive the van into a field, light it on fire and walk away. Trying to clean melted crayons out of a Cayenne Turbo on a Texas summer day sounds like a nightmare. 

Definitely good advice. My plan was to let wife’s car do kid duty 95% of the time, but maybe it should be 100% of the time or get something that I don’t care if it gets trashed, like the TLX

4 hours ago, drewlaws said:

Definitely good advice. My plan was to let wife’s car do kid duty 95% of the time, but maybe it should be 100% of the time or get something that I don’t care if it gets trashed, like the TLX

I’d add that kids are really small for the first couple years. A tiny backseat is no big deal for a while. One side for the kid, one side for the bag. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d add that kids are really small for the first couple years. A tiny backseat is no big deal for a while. One side for the kid, one side for the bag. 

The only issue is that car seats have gotten ginormous  

22 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We did Thanksgiving at brother’s place in Scottsdale.  He’s had an RS7 done up at a local race shop.  Holy shit I’m in love w Audi’s. Even stock that’s a lot of car for the money.  

BIL has one in the deep navy blue. It’s fantastic but I haven’t gotten above 50 in LA traffic. Kind of a waste here

5 hours ago, G650 said:

This.  Visiting the brother as mentioned. 2 nieces. 3 and 1.  Two car seats are huge.  I was like wtf.  Love kids but our plan is still none.  Wife needs to raise synthroid dose if we want ‘em.  We consider it a sign.  

The Singer will be my baby.  

On 11/25/2018 at 5:40 AM, G650 said:

They are fine once they get to forward facing, it’s the time during rear facing that kills it. Our fucking Yukon didn’t even have enough room between my wife’s seat and the rear facing car seat (rear buckets).   And they want the kids in them until they are 10 it seems. 

On 11/24/2018 at 9:16 PM, drewlaws said:

Does anyone have any experience with a 958.1 Cayenne Turbo? A 2013-14 Cayenne Turbo is getting strong consideration for around $50k. Am I nuts? Pros: V8, quick, practical, luxurious. Cons: Expensive to maintain, old in-car tech. At various times, I've also thought about a '16+ C63S (concerned about size), '16+ CTS-V (over budget), Macan Turbo (small and not V8) or another SRT Jeep (reputation of poor build quality). Any other ideas? 

Wife has a 2011 Cayenne S (Surly 99%). Car has 85k on it and has been very reliable. At this point, it needs front control arms, but that seems to be the norm for any Euro car. It's a ridiculously fast car for it's size, even in the normally-aspirated V8 model. If you don't have issues with kids f'ing up a perfectly fine automobile, I say "Have at it!"

Oh, and I guarantee the Jeep will be a complete POS by the time it hits the same mileage.

Edited by NYTransplant

Just now, Okie State said:

Not sure what year or trim it was, but I rode in an older Cayenne and it was a turd.

Hope that helps.

The first generation Cayenne is in my top 5 worst vehicle ever produced list, no hyperbole. 

The later ones are very good cars though, even if the value is a little out of whack  

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, drewlaws said:

My first kiddo is coming early next year and I will need to replace my e90 6MT 3 series with something more kid-friendly (bigger) that my wife can drive in a pinch (no manuals).

I'm also considering a dull lifeless TLX for $20k and sidelining the fun car thing for a while.

Wife had a 2012 Cayenne S before getting the Turbo.  THe cons of expensive to maintain is simply not true.  I've owned several Porsche cars and one of the hallmarks is they're actually not expensive to maintain.  I have kept all of mine for long periods of time.  I currently have one that is 14 years old.  The 2012 Cayenne was absolutely bullet proof, reliable, inexpensive to own and operate.  It got up there in miles, and my wife wanted something a bit faster so we upgraded her to the Cayenne Turbo.  So far so good on it as well.  Bottom line is, I don't think it's a purchase you regret.  Good luck!

• Like 1

New 911 (992) released today.  the "S"  model comes with 443bHP.  0-60 in 3.3 with sport chrono.  starting at $113k.   They're now all wide body which I like.  Tempting.  I skipped the 991 model because I didn't think the variance was that great, and I still loved my 997S so much.  Still do, but it is starting to feel very old and tired inside (no satellite radio, no blue tooth, really old technology), but at the same time it's not a daily drive anymore so I don't think I can justify swapping it for a new 992 unless I also sold my current daily driver.  Paralysis by analysis

Porsche The new 911 Carrera Models

Porsche The new 911 Carrera Models