The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

44 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Didn’t happen as much in my x5m due to it having a bit more rumble with the exhaust. You couldn’t feel the speed so much in that one, but you could hear it more. This thing the exhaust is pretty quiet.  If there’s no one around that you’re passing like they’re standing still there just no real marker of speed unless you look down at the speedometer. These things are crazy, but I’m damn glad they make them. It’s amazing what Gwrman engineers do to defy the laws of physics. 

The new X5Ms are much quieter, the quietest put of the BMW/Porsche/Rover trio. To be honest, it's my major gripe with the car, but it's all turbos so what do you do.

Guilty admission: I've seriously considered getting the Rover SVR next just for that sound. Then I come back to my senses.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

The new X5Ms are much quieter, the quietest put of the BMW/Porsche/Rover trio. To be honest, it's my major gripe with the car, but it's all turbos so what do you do.

Guilty admission: I've seriously considered getting the Rover SVR next just for that sound. Then I come back to my senses.

If that’s your major gripe with yours then consider yourself very lucky!

Any particular reason ford and gm don’t have a mid or large suv high performance variant, like a trackhawk peer?
ford could put the raptor motor setup into an explorer and go from there.  Are those things fwd now?

It’s not a huge market. They sell a gazillion Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/new Navigator/Expedition.

Hell, Toyota hardly has to update their stuff because people still buy it as is. Look at the 4Runner.

26 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Knock on wood, it's been wonderful so far. A much different animal than the E70 X5M which was a bag of loosely assembled parts.

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Any particular reason ford and gm don’t have a mid or large suv high performance variant, like a trackhawk peer?

ford could put the raptor motor setup into an explorer and go from there.  Are those things fwd now?

I think the costs of development for a vehicle that faces and uphill battle is a deterrent. They don't have pricing power like the euro cars do to make it worthwhile.

I do however think Ford could easily make something that blows all the current offerings away if they chose. GM? lolno.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s not a huge market. They sell a gazillion Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/new Navigator/Expedition.

Hell, Toyota hardly has to update their stuff because people still buy it as is. Look at the 4Runner.

That new 4Runner looks like ass.  Shame. Used to be none of the classiest looking suv’s out there. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

"Ford also will grow its lineup of performance SUVs. Two additions to the Ford Performance lineup include the all-new Edge ST later this year, and an Explorer ST will soon follow. These two new SUVs will help Ford Performance deliver on its promise of 12 new models by 2020, and will help extend the division’s growth, which has risen 81 percent in the last four years. "

looks like 2020

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/15/ford-readies-north-americas-freshest-lineup-by-2020.html

Explorer already shares the rear suspension with mustang, have seen some teaser pics from ford (can't find) with a cobra like grill on a lowered explorer.

6 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Disagree. They’re great. Simple, but more reliable than just about anything on the road.

What’s crazy is that Toyota sold more in 2017 than in any other year ever, and the drive train is still from like 2002 (with some updates), and the 5th gen as a whole has been around since 2010.

love my TRD PRO, its actually a capable truck and can tow a boat without being as huge as all of the new full size trucks or tahoe/suburban

28 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Disagree. They’re great. Simple, but more reliable than just about anything on the road.

What’s crazy is that Toyota sold more in 2017 than in any other year ever, and the drive train is still from like 2002 (with some updates), and the 5th gen as a whole has been around since 2010.

The platform is solid, there's no doubt. The problem is the bloat. My brother got a 2017 4Runner, and the thing is fucking massive. It's literally bigger than my FJ55 Land Cruiser. That's absurd. As a Toyota guy from way back, the appeal was always light and efficient, and they've swerved the other way to circa 1990s America land yachts. My new F150s get better gas mileage than the Tacoma.

The platform is solid, there's no doubt. The problem is the bloat. My brother got a 2017 4Runner, and the thing is fucking massive. It's literally bigger than my FJ55 Land Cruiser. That's absurd. As a Toyota guy from way back, the appeal was always light and efficient, and they've swerved the other way to circa 1990s America land yachts. My new F150s get better gas mileage than the Tacoma.

It’s 3 inches longer in the wheelbase, 5 overall, 7.5 wider (this is where most of it is) and about the same height.

A 718 Cayman is bigger everywhere than the original 964 (and the 991 is even bigger).

A new Toyota Corolla is the size of a 90s Camry.

An F10 is the size of an E34.

Hell, even going back to the X5, the 3rd gen (and upcoming 4th gen which is even larger everywhere), are a good bit larger than the first gen is. The 4th gen is 10” longer and over 5” wider than the original E53. That’s about the same as the current 4Runner to the FJ55.

You see it everywhere. I don’t really agree with it either but I don’t think you can call it a con on the 4Runner but “allow” it everywhere else.

I think the Miata is the only car that has actually gotten smaller (and the NB and NC got bigger before the ND went back to being NA sized).

Toyota trucks and gas mileage is a pretty classic joke, though. It does really suck.

29 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s 3 inches longer in the wheelbase, 5 overall, 7.5 wider (this is where most of it is) and about the same height.

A 718 Cayman is bigger everywhere than the original 964 (and the 991 is even bigger).

Hell, even going back to the X5, the 3rd gen (and upcoming 4th gen which is even larger everywhere), are a good bit larger than the first gen is. The 4th gen is 10” longer and over 5” wider than the original E53. That’s about the same as the current 4Runner to the FJ55.

You see it everywhere. I don’t really agree with it either but I don’t think you can call it a con on the 4Runner but “allow” it everywhere else.

I think the Miata is the only car that has actually gotten smaller (and the NB and NC got bigger before the ND went back to being NA sized).

Toyota trucks and gas mileage is a pretty classic joke, though. It does really suck.

So you're that guy I saw out in the parking lot with the tape measure! 

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean, I'm not "allowing it" anywhere. Certain places it's good, like Porsches, which were chicks cars until a couple years ago. Some places it's bad, like the M5, which thank god they back tracked on. Toyota has been on the bigger end of the upsized and their whole appeal was the small light efficient vehicle so it's an outsize detriment for them. 

I'm still a Toyota fan in general, but the boxiness is a major negative for me. You can literally fit an 80s Yota pickup inside a modern Tacoma. 

Edited to add: I still have an F350 on 40s, so I'm not against big vehicles 

Edited by G650

16 hours ago, G650 said:

I mean, I'm not "allowing it" anywhere. Certain places it's good, like Porsches, which were chicks cars until a couple years ago. Some places it's bad, like the M5, which thank god they back tracked on. Toyota has been on the bigger end of the upsized and their whole appeal was the small light efficient vehicle so it's an outsize detriment for them. 

I'm still a Toyota fan in general, but the boxiness is a major negative for me. You can literally fit an 80s Yota pickup inside a modern Tacoma. 

Edited to add: I still have an F350 on 40s, so I'm not against big vehicles 

Has to do with CAFE standards.  something something something,small area between the wheels dictates higher fuel efficiency if as a company you want meet overall CAFE standards.   Not just Toyota, but all manufacturers have stretched and widened the wheel base.   Today's Taco is the same size as my 1st gen Tundra, my current gen Tundra Crewmax is WAY too fucking big (never mind I added a mild suspension lift and 35s).

45 minutes ago, Loco said:

Has to do with CAFE standards.  something something something,small area between the wheels dictates higher fuel efficiency if as a company you want meet overall CAFE standards.   Not just Toyota, but all manufacturers have stretched and widened the wheel base.   Today's Taco is the same size as my 1st gen Tundra, my current gen Tundra Crewmax is WAY too fucking big (never mind I added a mild suspension lift and 35s).

I'm pretty sure the footprint measure just started in 2011.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:36 AM, pepper brooks said:

I actually do have one legitimate gripe I forgot about, the paint is insanely soft on these new ones, I didn't find that out till after i bought it. It's a real bitch for someone like me who drives offroad every day. The rockers look sandblasted. It would stop me from buying one, but I would have put film there too if had known in advance. 

Just custom ordered a new panamera hybrid S for the wife. Love the power/gas mileage of our current one. This one has twice the battery power and crazy amount of combined horsepower and torque.

Currently getting 700-800 miles per tank of gas, honestly thinking I’ll get close to 1000 miles per tank due to her driving ritual.

Oh, also bought a new 4x4 Denali the same day to haul kids to soccer so they don’t tear up mommas new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, PorscheGuy said:

Also thought Toyota messed up the forerunner, especially in the front. The back is growing on me though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They screw over everyone by not using the Exclusive Pro front end which looks so much cleaner than the regular grill with Toyota top hat

On 9/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, LonghornJudas said:

485 hp/475 lb-ft. No doubt. I think the Challenger has 17 trims?

Not available...

How’s the suspension on it?  Haven’t driven one of those in a while. Last time i drove one it was badass as long as going straight.  Get a bend and it still demanded it go straight. That was some time ago, and it was a different set up.