The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

42 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Good questing for the thread. What car did you learn to drive stick on?

i learned from my Grandmother (who never had a license and taught all 6 of her kids to drive) in a Shit brown Maverick with three on the tree in the middle of a farm. 

Skills honed on an 84 CJ7 on a friends dads hunting land. 

What clutch did you first abuse the shit out of?

Honda 90 3wheeler  and Old VWs on the beach...   With the VW you better be easy on the clutch or you'll be digging A LOT.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The wife's in auto insurance. Those are the number one killer and maimer of the 18 and under set according to her.

Yeah, that sounds right...  so much fun on the beach until it's not.   Even so, If I run across one that's in good shape, I'm taking it home.

I was given a 2018 base Panamera to drive as a loaner.  pretty peppy engine for a base level car that is huge.  It carries the car well.  For a base level loaner car this thing is absurdly nice and luxurious.  THe new glass display/entertainment screen is really nice.  Everything in there is very sleek, modern, and bespoke.  I actually still prefer the front half of my MK1-2.0 car to the new one.  That said, the rear of the new car is clearly miles better.  I am almost convinced that living in Houston with the traffic situation you're maybe better off with a car that looks and sounds fast as opposed to one that actually is fast.  I can never really enjoy the power of any of our cars simply due to there being almost no place to let them stretch their legs a bit.  Craftmanship in this thing is about as well done as can be imagined.  

Bought a 1992 Honda Accord from my uncle at 16 that I learned on. First lesson was during rush hour Houston traffic. Got flustered and stalled out probably 10 times in a row at a light before my uncle taught me how to pop the clutch.

1 hour ago, JSB said:

Bought a 1992 Honda Accord from my uncle at 16 that I learned on. First lesson was during rush hour Houston traffic. Got flustered and stalled out probably 10 times in a row at a light before my uncle taught me how to pop the clutch.

Ah, the old trial by fire method.  Your uncle couldn't find any hills for you?

i learned from my Grandmother (who never had a license and taught all 6 of her kids to drive) in a Shit brown Maverick with three on the tree in the middle of a farm. 

First job was at a Car Wash... If you want to learn how to ease out of a clutch, try pulling out of a car wash that's wet and soapy... I learned pretty quick...

First car I purchased was a 1994 Mazda Protege... Stick... I enjoyed diving the crap outta that car for 6 years.

Ha, snacks, my first car was a Protege stick.  Was a pretty peppy car for a young dipshit like me who had no better idea.  I first drove stick on a 76 Datsun pickup.  Let's just say the bed of that truck doesn't weigh much... I left a lot of rubber on the parking lot of the Wet 'n' Wild Garland.  (wait, that almost doesn't sound right).

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ya haven't lived till you take a stick shift VW on a snow covered parking lot after hours....

I was at Squaw and it had dumped 20" of snow on a weekday.   We all piled in my buddies car (AWD CRV) and thought we were gonna have a ball screwing around in their big ass empty parking lot....   Electronic nannies suck for screwing around...  down right impossible to get it sloppy.  I was so impressed I bought one (this will end up being the boys car)...  not exciting but a fantastic grocery getter, safe, stable, practical, reliable...  like I said boring  /csb

15 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Ha, snacks, my first car was a Protege stick.  Was a pretty peppy car for a young dipshit like me who had no better idea.  I first drove stick on a 76 Datsun pickup.  Let's just say the bed of that truck doesn't weigh much... I left a lot of rubber on the parking lot of the Wet 'n' Wild Garland.  (wait, that almost doesn't sound right).

Garland was White Water Rapids wasn’t it?

On 10/22/2018 at 10:16 PM, Assman said:

I learned on a '94 Eclipse that belonged to a girl I was dating in high school.  Fun little car.

So your girlfriend knew her way around the stick huh!?  Nice

I knew a girl in Highschool that had one of those 4 wheel steering Preludes...  I wasn't really attracted to her until I saw her in that car driving stick....  never got out of the friend zone ...  also her name was Naomi  ...   Which is I moan backwards...  write that down.

Edited by Loco

On 10/22/2018 at 8:34 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

My Dad's 1965 Mustang.  It had the 3-speed in it.  Drove like a truck.  Ground it til I found it.  Actually, the hardest part was pushing in the clutch because it had a gigantic spring and I had (have?) little chicken legs.  

Still have that car.  It's a work in progress, but that's for another thread.

• Like 2

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

My Dad's 1965 Mustang.  It had the 3-speed in it.  Drove like a truck.  Ground it til I found it.  Actually, the hardest part was pushing in the clutch because it had a gigantic spring and I had (have?) little chicken legs.  

Still have that car.  It's a work in progress, but that's for another thread.

Those fucking Mustang clutches. That spring was a killer, and made a manual not fun to drive.

I replaced mine with a Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch, and it was a game changer. I had them set up the new clutch package so I could swap out the 4 speed Toploader for a 5 speed (which I did 2 years ago now).

That was the biggest bitch of a thing I've done to that car. Removing the steering column, and all the shit related to the clutch, and the pedals and then installing the firewall clutch mounting plates.  That new clutch set up is So easy and soft , you can move it with your hand, you couldn't say that about that original 2" spring clutch.

• Like 1

I will say, between the time of the first resto when I was in 9th grade, until I got my first new car about 10 years later, I drove the ever living fuck out of that car.  Nearly killed myself in it half a dozen times.  I probably walked lopped sided from having my left leg built up from pressing that clutch so much.  I think I put 150k miles or so on it taking it all over the Great State of Texas.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I will say, between the time of the first resto when I was in 9th grade, until I got my first new car about 10 years later, I drove the ever living fuck out of that car.  Nearly killed myself in it half a dozen times.  I probably walked lopped sided from having my left leg built up from pressing that clutch so much.  I think I put 150k miles or so on it taking it all over the Great State of Texas.  

The plus side to that heavy clutch was the wife didn't like driving it. Now however..........

Yeah my "newish" 5 speed is from an 83-93 Mustang, purchased thru the guys at Modern Driveline.

Fuckkkkkk - 3 year wait on the Singer...I'll keep the gents here updated as I plan to start the process soon:
Dear Impatient Surly Asshole, I hope this email finds you well and many thanks for your interest in Singer Vehicle Design.

Please find the below information which warmly introduces several aspects of our services. Our complete restorations on the 964 based Porsche 911 Coupe or Targa start at $475,000 for the Coupe; $525,000 for the Targa. The average price of most commissions after being configured to clients’ specifications is about $590,000—$690,000. 

In addition to our ‘Classic’ restoration services, we have also recently announced the Dynamic and Lightweight Study (DLS) in collaboration with Williams Advanced Engineering (F1) where we will complete up to 75 restorations. DLS is priced at $1,800,000 and my colleague Matthew Henry (cc’d here) will be happy to further introduce you to that study in pursuit of the ultimate air-cooled Porsche 911. 

In terms of a timeline, our Classic Coupe and Targa restorations may take up to 36 months to completely optimize the vehicle. DLS will be 18 months and based out of the UK at the Williams F1 facility (our new UK home) in Grove. All of our restorations include the following concierge services: assistance with and facilitation of "donor" vehicle sourcing; facilitation of shipping, import and export arrangements (if necessary); communication and guidance on project specifications; and coordination of post-delivery services/warranty. The 964 donor 911 provided for restoration should be an operational and complete (LHD or RHD), C2/C4 Manual or Tiptronic (Coupe or Targa). The vehicle must have a clean title (we cannot work with salvage title or insurance write-offs) and have had no history of accident damage to the chassis.

We look forward to the opportunity of providing further information at your convenience.

Best Regards,

Seamus Taaffe

I want to know how much Seamus and his colleague Matthew Henry make base/OTE.

Just now, Atxracer said:

I'm actually not sure I have ever heard someone say that...unless maybe they were a corvette lover.  So, curious and to why?

Hate Porsches? They are fucking girls cars. Way too small and effeminate. I mean this is the car Kelly McGillis drove. They have finally gotten a reasonable size in the past decade but then morphed into upper middle wet dreams, which may be worse than being a chick car.

It's not that rare of an opinion really. I like Aston, some Ferraris, Merc GT's, GT-40s, etc... Corvette is probably the best bang for the buck ever, but they don't do a lot for me after 1967.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I want to know how much Seamus and his colleague Matthew Henry make base/OTE.

There’s a local that does fine work.  Olson Motorsports.  Seeing what they propose.  3 years is ridiculous but that may be only option for something that great, customized down to the lugs.  

31 minutes ago, G650 said:

Hate Porsches? They are fucking girls cars. Way too small and effeminate. I mean this is the car Kelly McGillis drove. They have finally gotten a reasonable size in the past decade but then morphed into upper middle wet dreams, which may be worse than being a chick car.

It's not that rare of an opinion really. I like Aston, some Ferraris, Merc GT's, GT-40s, etc... Corvette is probably the best bang for the buck ever, but they don't do a lot for me after 1967.

I agreed w you until I drove one.  Holy shit.  

Ill learn multiquote someday.  

41 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yep give me an Aston Martin, an old E type or some of the earlier Ferrari offerings.  I love a GT 40, but they just look a little silly sitting at a stop light with "normal" cars.

And the Corvette is the best bang for the buck (when raw off the line speed is the need) of any major production car ever, but I wouldn't want one past a 67 or maybe a 68.  I'd take a 289 Cobra over any Vette any day.

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I agreed w you until I drove one.  Holy shit.  

Ill learn multiquote someday.  

It's now how fast you are going, it's how you are going fast my man.

Plus, I've driven some incredibly terrible Porsches. Some great ones too no doubt, but plenty of terrible ones. I know it doesn't really count for this thread either, but I rate the original Cayenne as one of the top three shittiest SUVs ever made. It's up there with 90's S10 Blazers in awfulness.

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

It's now how fast you are going, it's how you are going fast my man.

Plus, I've driven some incredibly terrible Porsches. Some great ones too no doubt, but plenty of terrible ones. I know it doesn't really count for this thread either, but I rate the original Cayenne as one of the top three shittiest SUVs ever made. It's up there with 90's S10 Blazers in awfulness.

Fair.  I’ve driven Bugattis to Gremlins.  For a long daily commute in Chicago the 911 turbo S had the best of all worlds.  RIP

I get hauled around these days so I’ve lost the right to talk too much shit.  Ha

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Ah, gotcha.  If I compared a ferrari, Merc GT, GT-40 to a C2, C2S, etc, I can certainly see where you are coming from.  They aren't in the same league.  But, at least imo, if you compared them to the Turbo S, GT3, GT2, etc, they stack up pretty well and certainly wouldn't consider them a chick car.  From there, it's a personal preference/driving style preference between the cars.  

Definitely agree Vette's are the best bang for the buck, whether you turn or go strait. Still hate them though.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So Porsche are too small, but you’re cool with Aston and gt40?

Historically yes, they were tiny, and their philosophy was weak. And now that they have gotten to a decent size every suburban asshole drives one.

I mean, not sure what else to say. I think they are gay.

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

Ah, gotcha.  If I compared a ferrari, Merc GT, GT-40 to a C2, C2S, etc, I can certainly see where you are coming from.  They aren't in the same league.  But, at least imo, if you compared them to the Turbo S, GT3, GT2, etc, they stack up pretty well and certainly wouldn't consider them a chick car.  From there, it's a personal preference/driving style preference between the cars.  

Definitely agree Vette's are the best bang for the buck, whether you turn or go strait. Still hate them though.  

I certainly don't hate the Vette, they just have gotten kinda wacky in their style. Like if acid washed jeans were a car. They would be a Vette.

Now I'm sure there's a couple of you thinking 'What about the Demon et al.?" I'd say these are clearly cargo shorts....

It's the "chick car" that was a bit of a surprise when they have 4 of the top 10 'ring times.  But, I can see it since they have so many models they do range from "chick car", (C2, Cayenne, etc) to super cars that compete, and beat, the ones listed above.   But, to each his own.  

34 minutes ago, G650 said:

I certainly don't hate the Vette, they just have gotten kinda wacky in their style. Like if acid washed jeans were a car. They would be a Vette.

Now I'm sure there's a couple of you thinking 'What about the Demon et al.?" I'd say these are clearly cargo shorts....

I do.  But, that's another story.  Plus, I'm a Porsche nut and they are the natural rival.  Obligatory:

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Fair.  I’ve driven Bugattis to Gremlins.  For a long daily commute in Chicago the 911 turbo S had the best of all worlds.  RIP

I get hauled around these days so I’ve lost the right to talk too much shit.  Ha

I don't know what traffic is like in Chicago... but I hate a commuter car that's low to the ground.  Just stare at brake lights the whole time.  Nope, I like some elevation.  

Something like the BMW X5M would be my ideal I think.

Edited by Loco
spelling r hard
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

It's the "chick car" that was a bit of a surprise when they have 4 of the top 10 'ring times.  

They are quality track cars, but that doesnt really have anything to do with what I'm saying, and the Nurburgring game doesn't really have any bearing on it. You've got a Camaro with better times than some Koenigseggs, so obviously it's not a super metric. 

Have you ever seen a Porsche 356 in person? It will fit in your back pocket. 

You can drive around at 10mph in a naturally aspirated Aston V12 and it's a hell of a lot cooler than doing a buck twenty in a 3 liter Porsche.

I went to school for mechanical engineering  built race motors and chassis. I have a pretty good understanding of the aims and philosophies of what all these companies are trying to do, and Porsche has always been lacking in the simple concept of just needing to be more badass. If they offset that by being the most successful racing program in the history of ever, then they could at least excuse it, but they aren't that either, Ford and Ferrari are much more illustrious. 

I will cede they aren't as girly anymore, but more suburban as I noted. Which may be worse. 

ETA: I'm not knocking your opinion at all, just telling what I think of em.

Edited by G650

On 10/22/2018 at 9:34 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

A 1979 Diesel Volkswagon Diesel Rabbit. The summer I turned 15 my father used to take me to way out of the way roads and we would switch places and he would make me practice starting in first gear on hills. Go 30 feet, stop, take it out of gear. Put it in gear, go 30 feet, stop, etc etc.

I’m gonna say it. I don’t really like modern Aston Martins all that much. Even their last V12 was just two Ford Duratec V6s put together. Which, that’s actually kind of cool on its own, but, even the One-77 is powered by a double-Taurus engine! Although the Duratec was mostly engineered by Porsche (G650 will love that), so it’s got that going for it, which is nice.

I do think the Valkyrie project is super cool, though. And I like the Vulcan. The rest are just meh.

Note: old models are not included here. The 70s Vantage also looks like a Mustang but it’s awesome.

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

I’m gonna say it. I don’t really like modern Aston Martins all that much. Even their last V12 was just two Ford Duratec V6s put together. Which, that’s actually kind of cool on its own, but, even the One-77 is powered by a double-Taurus engine! Although the Duratec was mostly engineered by Porsche (G650 will love that), so it’s got that going for it, which is nice.

I do think the Valkyrie project is super cool, though. And I like the Vulcan. The rest are just meh.

Note: old models are not included here. The 70s Vantage also looks like a Mustang but it’s awesome.

Eh, I'm sort of with you. I do like the Vanquish, but not like the old one's. I'm in wait and see mode with what they can come up with paired with AMG.

The DB11 looks finominal tho.

There’s a local that does fine work.  Olson Motorsports.  Seeing what they propose.  3 years is ridiculous but that may be only option for something that great, customized down to the lugs.  

I’m not pushing back on the cost at all. I’m saying I would like to know what those guys make because selling super high end bespoke restos sounds fun at shit.