The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

57 minutes ago, Loco said:

I don't know what traffic is like in Chicago... but I hate a commuter car that's low to the ground.  Just stare at brake lights the whole time.  Nope, I like some elevation.  

Something like the BMW X5M would be my ideal I think.

Not daily.  That’s the CLS63S (steal from wife) or driven in S63.  But those couple days a week the 911 was a blast and pretty easy in traffic. 

20 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I’m gonna say it. I don’t really like modern Aston Martins all that much. Even their last V12 was just two Ford Duratec V6s put together. Which, that’s actually kind of cool on its own, but, even the One-77 is powered by a double-Taurus engine! Although the Duratec was mostly engineered by Porsche (G650 will love that), so it’s got that going for it, which is nice.

I do think the Valkyrie project is super cool, though. And I like the Vulcan. The rest are just meh.

Note: old models are not included here. The 70s Vantage also looks like a Mustang but it’s awesome.

http://www.astonmartin.com/en/heritage/past-models

I don't disagree with you. I'll just relate a story about my father and I going out in 1983 and looking for a car for my Mom. We were looking at the Cadillac dealer across the river. In the lot there was a V8 Vantage, about a 1978-79. I remember it not costing much, even in 1983 $$. I tried to talk my dad into getting it, not for Mom, as we'd find her something somewhere. Dad wouldn't pull the trigger. He was never much of a car guy. He ended up getting my tiny Mom a 1983 Lincoln Town Car. It was huge. It was like riding on an aircraft carrier. It was awful.

That link I included does have a neat listing of Aston Martin cars.

46 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

The Aston Martin’s doing hot laps at COTA during F1 looked old / unimpressive and sounded... I couldn’t hear them. The Merc GTS sounded awesome and looked slick. Same with the McClaren. Aston is an OK car but was blown away by the Merc, IMO.

Yeah, the Merc GT sounds insanely good. I love that car on principle. I'm not sure who would track a damn Aston Martin though, wtf? An Aston is for running from Genoa to Villefranche-sur-Mer with an Italian model giving road head.

My current favorite Aston is the Rapide S that Jeremy Hackett did the interior for. I would stick my banana in it's tailpipe.

image004.jpg?fit=617,412&ssl=1&w=640

For some reason I thought my tailor's family has an old Aston, but it's actually a Frazer Nash. Still a pretty neat old whip.

IMG_1046.jpg

Simon, who is actually runs the place now is a big Aston guy too though. They did this cashmere and silk interior for the electric concept car. The also dress Andy Palmer and Marek Reichmann fwiw.

aston-martin-lagonda-design-transport_de

13 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Not an Aston fan either.  But, fwiw, the GT4 car is a bad mf’er and sounds like a beast.  

Literally just dawned on me I'll be driving a GT4 at Yas Marina in March, I had totally forgotten about it. Will report back. I'm a shit track driver though, so there's that.

35 minutes ago, G650 said:

Literally just dawned on me I'll be driving a GT4 at Yas Marina in March, I had totally forgotten about it. Will report back. I'm a shit track driver though, so there's that.

That sounds like a blast.  Gonna need to make that race some day.  You live there or heading in for the event?

41 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

That sounds like a blast.  Gonna need to make that race some day.  You live there or heading in for the event?

Having another race boat built in Dubai, sea trial is the first week of March. Couple of the crew are big car guys so we are all gonna head over and get some track time. I definitely would like to go over for a race at some point though.

I really can't believe I forgot about this with all the Aston talk. Jeez. Too much shit in my brain lately.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Having another race boat built in Dubai, sea trial is the first week of March. Couple of the crew are big car guys so we are all gonna head over and get some track time. I definitely would like to go over for a race at some point though.

I really can't believe I forgot about this with all the Aston talk. Jeez. Too much shit in my brain lately.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Have fun.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 12:15 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s a local that does fine work.  Olson Motorsports.  Seeing what they propose.  3 years is ridiculous but that may be only option for something that great, customized down to the lugs.  

Five or so years ago there was a place in NC doing similar stuff as Singer.  Did a quick search and couldn’t find them.

21 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

The Aston Martin’s doing hot laps at COTA during F1 looked old / unimpressive and sounded... I couldn’t hear them. The Merc GTS sounded awesome and looked slick. Same with the McClaren. Aston is an OK car but was blown away by the Merc, IMO.

Yeah, wth, the Aston's were dead silent. Were the Red Bull boys driving? I know Alonso was driving the orange 720s and Ham was driving the gold Merc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G650 said:

In on racing boat.  Family has one of the oldest wooden racing boats in America.  

Will dm you a link to it. 

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Like 1

McLaren Senna First Crash Takes Place in Munich, Airbags Deployed

59a6a0b13c5ab839099573d99545a2d7.jpg

“An example of the 800 horsepower toy crashed in Munich over the weekend, with the photo above showcasing the aftermath of the adventure.

As you can notice, the tarmac shows tire tracks and it looks like the Senna went nose-first into a wall. “

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/mclaren-senna-first-crash-takes-place-in-munich-airbags-deployed-129604.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

McLaren Senna First Crash Takes Place in Munich, Airbags Deployed

59a6a0b13c5ab839099573d99545a2d7.jpg

“An example of the 800 horsepower toy crashed in Munich over the weekend, with the photo above showcasing the aftermath of the adventure.

As you can notice, the tarmac shows tire tracks and it looks like the Senna went nose-first into a wall. “

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/mclaren-senna-first-crash-takes-place-in-munich-airbags-deployed-129604.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how loud Toto was playing at the time

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, Loco said:

I don't know what traffic is like in Chicago... but I hate a commuter car that's low to the ground.  Just stare at brake lights the whole time.  Nope, I like some elevation.  

Something like the BMW X5M would be my ideal I think.

based on my experience you'd still end up doing nothing but staring at brake lights from your 3 series service loaner.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Oh yeah, how could I forget about the 90s Vantage. A bastard child of engineering with twin superchargers and a sweet Ford corporate steering wheel. 550 horsepower!!!

94ab4c954c297edd308d5cba23e72008.jpg

6b65dd11d1589f55f8f14e4d25c65816.jpg

245a8079ae0b8a2e88e4cf0db33d5d18.jpg

that steering wheel is straight out of my 1990 Mustang GT.  

Circa 2006 when Aston came out with their mid engine Vantage that was supposed to compete with the 911 I flirted with swapping my 2005 C2S for one.  My buddy who owned a dealership has a program Vantage he let me take for the weekend to try out.  I kept it about half a day just to make sure.  I knew the moment I turned out onto the service road and hit the gas there was zero shot I would trade for that thing.  It was way way way more BMW 6 series than anything else.  That is fine if you market the car as a sporty touring car.  If you market it as a 911 competitor, and deliver a 600 series......no.  Thing felt so heavy, sluggish, underpowered, and just flat out boring.  The engine did sound good.  It was inarguably one of the best looking cars ever made at the time. It simply was not what I was looking for, nor what I expected.  

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

Why didn't he get the Alfa Quadrifoglio?  Feelsbadman

It was actually a she. Wanted a Rover Evoque but blanched when told she would have to wait. Bought one of these used off the lot instead. My buddy is GM of the dealer. 

13 minutes ago, Loco said:

How convenient

There's an entire convoluted back story to this girl too. Her sister was my next door neighbor for awhile whi ran off with another girl I knew who wanted to play lesbian for awhile after leaving her husband. Well, the husband leaver got tired of playing lesbians, and ex neighbor was left high and dry in Richmond. So ex neighbors sister in the meantime moves into Shadowlawn next door to one of my best friends who used to bang ex neighbor. The ex neighbor then moves back two doors over from me ( I wish she had got her old house because the people that moved in while nice are insanely loud at all hours and ex neighbor was quiet as a church mouse), and obviously cruises over to see her sister one day where she encounters my friend and his wife. Result as diagrammed below.

6d78ec0c8c8eaf31.png

Oh, and Porsche/Rover/Jag GM buddy can see friend and neighbor sister from his front porch.

My simmering dread about owning an out of warranty German car was justified yesterday. Both motor mounts, transmission mount, transmission cooling system all went. About 2 grand. May be time to look for something else.

I’m thinking of going for something different next. Maybe a 4Runner or Grand Cherokee. Something I can take Jr hunting and fishing in but that cleans up well enough for customers.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

My simmering dread about owning an out of warranty German car was justified yesterday. Both motor mounts, transmission mount, transmission cooling system all went. About 2 grand. May be time to look for something else.

Jesus.

I’m thinking of going for something different next. Maybe a 4Runner or Grand Cherokee. Something I can take Jr hunting and fishing in but that cleans up well enough for customers.

Rocko vindicated!

• Like 1

how about a nice Fiat?

• Like 1