The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 10/2/2018 at 1:22 PM, G650 said:

Dem rims tho.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:42 PM, Bert Orange said:

Still wood

I wonder who did all the turbo work and why they got a big ass wing if it's just a straight line machine.  Maybe it is a track beast, but it just looks like there was extensive stuff done back there.  

I know this doesn't really fall into this thread topic, but it also doesn't fit into the 'doesn't warrant' thread, so I thought I would get the best response here.

I'm taking a vacation in November to Carmel, CA with my wife and want to rent a nice convertible.  Before kids, I had a 2002 BMW M Roadster that I loved (still kicking myself for selling that), and since kids won't be with us, I want to rent something better than a mustang or camaro while we're there. I've looked through Turo, and found a BMW 428i convertible, and a Porsche Boxter S for reasonable daily rates ($106 and $140, respectively).  Both, sadly, are automatic, but that is probably a good thing, since my wife may be driving at some point on the trip, and she can't row her own.  I haven't driven either of these cars, before, but am looking for insight as to which we will enjoy more.  Driving highway 1, and other scenic excursions are on the agenda.  Thoughts/experiences with either, or better yet, someone that has driven both?

8 hours ago, JSB said:

I know this doesn't really fall into this thread topic, but it also doesn't fit into the 'doesn't warrant' thread, so I thought I would get the best response here.

I'm taking a vacation in November to Carmel, CA with my wife and want to rent a nice convertible.  Before kids, I had a 2002 BMW M Roadster that I loved (still kicking myself for selling that), and since kids won't be with us, I want to rent something better than a mustang or camaro while we're there. I've looked through Turo, and found a BMW 428i convertible, and a Porsche Boxter S for reasonable daily rates ($106 and $140, respectively).  Both, sadly, are automatic, but that is probably a good thing, since my wife may be driving at some point on the trip, and she can't row her own.  I haven't driven either of these cars, before, but am looking for insight as to which we will enjoy more.  Driving highway 1, and other scenic excursions are on the agenda.  Thoughts/experiences with either, or better yet, someone that has driven both?

Boxster S, and it's not even close.  And that is not an "automatic".  It will be PDK dual clutch manual.  Granted it is a manual transmission that operates flawlessly in automatic mode, but it is a manual transmission.  

On 10/4/2018 at 10:36 PM, PRONG HORN said:

I wonder who did all the turbo work and why they got a big ass wing if it's just a straight line machine.  Maybe it is a track beast, but it just looks like there was extensive stuff done back there.  

the plate is 'apex hunter' so i'm guessing it's a track beast

• Like 1

Rent the Porsche.

Now I know you said that you're going to Carmel, but....

At Rennsport Reunion, we ate at the Monterey Fish House. For all three nights. Place was spectacular, in a down to earth way. You need reservations. You need to get the oak grilled oysters. Everything is good.

Sitting on the roof of the Porsche hospitality building at rennsport, the guy next to me was in a really good mood - he is getting one of the new 935 Moby Dicks.

I'd be in a good mood, too.

Edited by otisdog

Rent the Porsche.
Now I know you said that you're going to Carmel, but....
At Rennsport Reunion, we ate at the Monterey Fish House. For all three nights. Place was spectacular, in a down to earth way. You need reservations. You need to get the oak grilled oysters. Everything is good.
Sitting on the roof of the Porsche hospitality building at rennsport, the guy next to me was in a really good mood - he is getting one of the new 935 Moby Dicks.
I'd be in a good mood, too.

Good to know. I’ve got the hotel/flight/and soon to be car reserved. Next up is reservations.

Boxster S, and it's not even close.  And that is not an "automatic".  It will be PDK dual clutch manual.  Granted it is a manual transmission that operates flawlessly in automatic mode, but it is a manual transmission.  

Agreed boxster s all the way. Plus the bmw has the smaller engine compared to the 440i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I'm finally going to have to break down and get a new (or used) vehicle.  

I'm looking at suburbans or tahoes and need advice on:

(1) best time to buy new -- looks like Covert and other area dealerships have some pretty good deals on 2018's -- is now the time to buy or will those prices continue go down as we get closer to the new year?

(2) are dealers less likely to come down on listed pricing since these 2018's are already discounted and pitched as year end deals?

(3) does it make more sense to buy used if my used criteria would be something less than 40 or 50K miles?  I'm traditionally opposed to the idea of buying new but maybe it makes sense if all of the 'gently used' options are only a few thousand less than the new 2018's?

For what it's worth, I plan on driving whatever I get for at least a decade or so and don't put many miles on my vehicles (I currently have a 2002 Chevy crew cab with only 140K miles).

Any help is appreciated.   

Each deal is different. Only you can determine if new/used makes more sense.

Make a list of 10 used vehicles with the options you want and average that price out. Then shop new and determine what a real dollar amount is on that vehicle. Then cross reference those numbers with financing options (if financing) and that there is the premium for new vs used.

Sometimes it's worth it. Sometimes not.

Looks like I'm finally going to have to break down and get a new (or used) vehicle.  
I'm looking at suburbans or tahoes and need advice on:
(1) best time to buy new -- looks like Covert and other area dealerships have some pretty good deals on 2018's -- is now the time to buy or will those prices continue go down as we get closer to the new year?
(2) are dealers less likely to come down on listed pricing since these 2018's are already discounted and pitched as year end deals?
(3) does it make more sense to buy used if my used criteria would be something less than 40 or 50K miles?  I'm traditionally opposed to the idea of buying new but maybe it makes sense if all of the 'gently used' options are only a few thousand less than the new 2018's?
For what it's worth, I plan on driving whatever I get for at least a decade or so and don't put many miles on my vehicles (I currently have a 2002 Chevy crew cab with only 140K miles).
Any help is appreciated.   

S2000 is a car that rewards a good driver.   The neighbor kid has a s2000 that he is slowly destroying upgradde by upgradde...   I told him that if he wants to go faster he should work on  his skills, not the car, because he was the weakest link.   I think he understood, but the siren song of a fart pipe was just too much for the lad.  He now has a ridiculous muffler, heavy wheels (wrong offset) and about 1" of sidewall on the tires....   oh and a smashed up front quarter panel as of last month.   

My son is learning to drive (truly terrifying) and I have been toying around with the idea of getting an old beater mx-5 to teach him stick and do some Autocross.  The boy is a natural born cone killer!

• Like 1

Good questing for the thread. What car did you learn to drive stick on?

i learned from my Grandmother (who never had a license and taught all 6 of her kids to drive) in a Shit brown Maverick with three on the tree in the middle of a farm. 

Skills honed on an 84 CJ7 on a friends dads hunting land. 

What clutch did you first abuse the shit out of?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Honda XR100 dirt bike. Getting in an actual car and driving stick was no problem after that. My first car was a 1986 Land Cruiser, all manual everything. I think the first vehicle I actually drove was an 83 GMC 2500 with a 3 speed and granny.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Honda XR100 dirt bike. Getting in an actual car and driving stick was no problem after that. My first car was a 1986 Land Cruiser, all manual everything. I think the first vehicle I actually drove was an 83 GMC 2500 with a 3 speed and granny.

Well if we're going there a Honda 80 and a Honda Elsinore 125 back in Jr. High school.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well if we're going there a Honda 80 and a Honda Elsinore 125 back in Jr. High school.

To me that is it. Driving stick is all about clutch control. Motorcycles are the perfect tools for it imo.

There were always the girls who thought the more you pressed the accelerator the better. Felt bad for their fathers who had to fix their shit.

Just now, G650 said:

To me that is it. Driving stick is all about clutch control. Motorcycles are the perfect tools for it imo.

There were always the girls who thought the more you pressed the accelerator the better. Felt bad for their fathers who had to fix their shit.

Yeah, very true.  The hand control made it a little easier to master for me, that and a clutch on a bike is a little lighter than on a heavier vehicle, and you can pop a clutch on a bike where as on a car it makes for rougher driving.  I usually prefer a clutch vehicle over an automatic.