The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I believe Penelope Witherspoon has one.  Looks like a fun car, but once you get up in the $50k price range, there are a lot of options.  I'm not sure how compelling it is when you look at what else you can get for the same money.

But if you like it, get it.

@PenelopeWitherspoon - are the rumors true?

12 minutes ago, zman13 said:

@PenelopeWitherspoon - are the rumors true?

So, I did not get the souped up engine.  Given that I live in the loop in Houston, that V-6 was just going to be a nightmare from a fuel efficiency perspective.  But I do have the Stinger Premium, which is as loaded as one can get with that 4 cylinder engine, which honestly, in Sport mode, is damned fun to drive.  

I love my car.  And when that woman totaled the first one I got about 4 months in, I was pissed.  Fortunately, I my dealer was able to get one just like the one I had in.  

I did a ton of research when I was looking for mine, and honestly, this was the best bang for the buck.

Not street legal - likely because the chassis is technically a 2018 since there was no VIN and it would have to comply with 2018 emissions and safety standards but still. HNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
porsche_993_turbo_oneonly-003.jpg?itok=bA3ngXb3
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/pebble-beach-2018/porsche-has-built-brand-new-20-year-old-911-turbo

Wow. This is incredible. As a current owner of 3 of their vehicles I am obviously a huge homer for the brand, but damn if they don’t do some of the most remarkable specialty vehicle stuff. From
This absurd 993 to the current GT2 RS Weissach package they are just on their game at the moment. They have also surpassed 350k units sold on the Macan which is a testament to the design and driveablilty of that vehicle. Great time for porsche for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting. I had a 2008 4.8i and have a new F85 X5M and have had almost zero issues. I put 200k on the 4.8i too, just had to do valve seals at 175k.

Our 06 with the 4.4 shit the bed at a whopping 75k miles. The x5m was just a raging bitch from day one. It was badass as anything the few months it was actually driveable. Glad you got one of the good ones. I’ve been on both sides of that. My old E39 540 was a great one. Still miss that car. It was the sport package with 6speed manual. Loved that thing.

On 8/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, G650 said:

What happened? Drop a valve or lose a timing chain? That fucking sucks man.

Why not both?  Ha. Wifey started it up, got the blue plume of death smoke and it basically seized up.   Crazy thing was we had just had valve work and some other shit done.theor v8 engines are so awesome until they’re not. I’ve had 5 of their cars with v8’s.  They’re addictive, but mine never proved to be long term reliable. The x5m wasn’t short term reliable. 

It's apparently bring your most absurd car day at the Houstonian this morning. As I was walking to my lowly car I saw:
Bentley continental r
Ferrari- 488, 458, california
Lambo- aventador 
Merc- lots, but the matte gunmetal g65 stood out
Ac cobra- appeared original, not one of those kits
Porsche - gt3, gt2, turbo s, various others

It's like walking through an exotic car show. 

On 8/23/2018 at 10:43 AM, pepper brooks said:

It isn’t a toy and you’re having a tough time finding a 997 that fits the bill you might consider a cayman s. There should be many nice ones in that price range. That said, I’d rather have a 911 that had been driven a good bit. Those are the cars that have few problems and stay on the road. The garage queens that never get driven are the ones that generally become troublesome. As for BMW, I am a former multi car BMW owner: 1998 540i, 1996 325, 2006 x5 v8, 2013 x5m, and a few others. The x5m and the 2006 x5 ensures I will never, ever buy another of their vehicles under any circumstances.  That isn’t really analogous to an E46 m3, but I don’t trust them at this point. E46 is one of the best looking cars ever made. 

The e90 is the last BMW that I'll even consider. I've owned and been responsible for at least 10 BMW's (mine or my wife's), and love them up to ~2005 (e90 being a possible exception). When my wife decided to sell her e39 M5 for an SUV, her first choice was an X5. She ended up with a Cayenne S, as I wouldn't even let her test drive the X5. BMW has gone to hell, and the only new one that I'd consider is the M2 (Yes, I contradicted myself.)

Edited by NYTransplant
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 12:18 PM, Buzzrock said:

I still think the Singers are the best looking Porsches I've ever seen. I wonder if Doc ordered one yet.

1aefc797a421ecee6d8a0e824ee91d6bbcd1765d

Very seriously considering.  Selling a lot of shares in the company this year.  Then it's a place in FL and a Singer.  That one has me drooling...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Dont be one of those gays that drives a Porsche man.

i'd probably let a priest touch me for a 997.2 RS 4.0 in white.

edit:  only because Porsche's never made one in yellow, to my knowledge

Edited by 52-80

37 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I honestly always thought like that...until I buried my foot in a turbo.  Can’t knock em now...

Its not about how fast you are going, it's how you are going fast.

Porsche has made less faggy cars the past 10 years at least so they are heading the right direction. 

• Haha 1

So...my  wife has a 2012 cayenne s hybrid.  It’s been a fantastic car. Absolutely wonderful. The inside still looks brand new. Problem was with the hybrid there’s no real exhaust note and the energy recapture system on the brakes is a bit awkward. Bigger problem is she’s driven my panamera gts a lot since I got it.  She’s become addicted to the v8 and the exhaust note.  She decided her car “wasn’t a real porsche”.  You know what that means....

will report back, but all signs are pointing to a 2016 cayenne turbo.  Still undefeated. 

3 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

So...my  wife has a 2012 cayenne s hybrid.  It’s been a fantastic car. Absolutely wonderful. The inside still looks brand new. Problem was with the hybrid there’s no real exhaust note and the energy recapture system on the brakes is a bit awkward. Bigger problem is she’s driven my panamera gts a lot since I got it.  She’s become addicted to the v8 and the exhaust note.  She decided her car “wasn’t a real porsche”.  You know what that means....

will report back, but all signs are pointing to a 2016 cayenne turbo.  Still undefeated. 

There’s a Tesla dealership in the Gold Coast a block from the crib.  I love giving the gas a good pump in the Lambo as I cruise by.  Im that douche...but I’m doing my part to remind those poor assholes, you need a serious exhaust on a serious car.  Even the 911 sang a fine tune fitted w the capristo.  RIP

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

4e21e032ce2bea477fd59259d11188bb.jpg

Going to pick it up Friday for the wife. 2016 cayenne turbo. Not sure what she’s gonna do with 520hp, but whatever she does she will do it quickly.

Luckily it's all wheel drive. Saved me many times.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Very seriously considering.  Selling a lot of shares in the company this year.  Then it's a place in FL and a Singer.  That one has me drooling...

Those singers are awesome. I don't think I could get one in any color other than gulf blue. 

Edited by pepper brooks

21 hours ago, Atxracer said:

First off, we have rules here.  Second, nice find on the Turbo. Great car.

in her case this is nam.  she is actually Vietnamese!  I picked up the rig yesterday.  The sheer power of this thing is absurd.  At one point as I was casually driving along just cruising, I glance down at the speedometer to see 141.  I had no idea.  It was so quiet and firmly connected to the road it just seemed like I was cruising at 75-80. There were no cars around so I wasn't passing anyone.  Just cruising, and lost focus on speed.  that happened several times.  I finally set the cruise on 85 and left it alone. 

12 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

in her case this is nam.  she is actually Vietnamese!  I picked up the rig yesterday.  The sheer power of this thing is absurd.  At one point as I was casually driving along just cruising, I glance down at the speedometer to see 141.  I had no idea.  It was so quiet and firmly connected to the road it just seemed like I was cruising at 75-80. There were no cars around so I wasn't passing anyone.  Just cruising, and lost focus on speed.  that happened several times.  I finally set the cruise on 85 and left it alone. 

Yeah, that's the deal with these new super SUVs. I honestly said to myself several times in the first month I had my F85 that I was getting a normal one next time, this is just too much. I'm pretty used to it now though. There's still times I'll get on a ramp and get a little bump to merge into traffic and be casually doing 95-100 mph before I realize it though. The cars are almost too quiet, you can only get the sensation of speed during acceleration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Yeah, that's the deal with these new super SUVs. I honestly said to myself several times in the first month I had my F85 that I was getting a normal one next time, this is just too much. I'm pretty used to it now though. There's still times I'll get on a ramp and get a little bump to merge into traffic and be casually doing 95-100 mph before I realize it though. The cars are almost too quiet, you can only get the sensation of speed during acceleration.

Didn’t happen as much in my x5m due to it having a bit more rumble with the exhaust. You couldn’t feel the speed so much in that one, but you could hear it more. This thing the exhaust is pretty quiet.  If there’s no one around that you’re passing like they’re standing still there just no real marker of speed unless you look down at the speedometer. These things are crazy, but I’m damn glad they make them. It’s amazing what Gwrman engineers do to defy the laws of physics. 

Do yourself a favor and set the speed alarm.
  • Like 2