The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone bought a new Tahoe lately? If so, how have you liked it so far?

Looked at it and the Expedition. We’re going with the Expedition. The interior of it was far and away better than the Tahoe.

Went and test drove the new AMG GT 63 4door. Fucking beautiful. Great rips and cracks from the exhaust on sport+ with the pipes open. Looks much better in person than on YouTube. Also, much better rear headroom than new CLS. Expensive AF though. Holy shit

I don't know why you would get that instead of the E63s. Same engine and transmission, but 50k more. They are sexy, though.

Because it’s the E body. Same reason why the M5 does nothing for me. I’m in an A7 now and the sleek sport back look of it won me over, over the A6. I’m just not a huge fan of the mid size sport sedan look, knowing full well the size of my car is really no different than an A6. The performance of the e63s is unmistakeable. I’m just purely talking exterior aesthetics. 

• Like 1

Because it’s the E body. Same reason why the M5 does nothing for me. I’m in an A7 now and the sleek sport back look of it won me over, over the A6. I’m just not a huge fan of the mid size sport sedan look, knowing full well the size of my car is really no different than an A6. The performance of the e63s is unmistakeable. I’m just purely talking exterior aesthetics. 

You drive an A7 and are worried about rear seat headroom? That's why i have an S6, not an S7.

Not really. Back seat is occupied by 2 car seats. I just prefer the sloping roof line and the completely original rear end. I’m an Audi enthusiast and can barely tell the difference between an a4 and an a6. I think they’re completely boring and look like rebadged jettas

• Like 1

E63s is about 125. The amg 63 is 150. Go up to the 63s and you’re talking 175 but I see no real reason for the premium when it’s only about 50 more HP and *only* 0.2sec faster in the 0-60
Yeah, i was comparing s to s.

Drive what you like, but i think the GT 4 door is silly with the existence of the E63s. It does look nice, though.

And the only thing you're going to see on my S6 is the tail lights.

I think the traditional sedan look of the S6, E63, M5, etc. is what makes them great. Ridiculous performance in a car that's not too flashy, but just looks good and has enough styling cues for people like me to notice them. I'm drawn to those types of cars though and I'd buy them over coupes almost every single time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

I think the traditional sedan look of the S6, E63, M5, etc. is what makes them great. Ridiculous performance in a car that's not too flashy, but just looks good and has enough styling cues for people like me to notice them. I'm drawn to those types of cars though and I'd buy them over coupes almost every single time.

I love an M5

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, G650 said:
I love an M5

Yep. If we don't get the RS6 in the next iteration, an M5 is probably my next car.

I'm still seriously doubting we'll get the RS6.  A6 Allroad, maybe, but nothing more in the Avant body.

Even if we get the RS6, tens of them will sell, despite all the "enthusiast" clamor over a car they wouldn't shell out the bucks for in the first place.

/Team C7.5 S6

36 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

I'm still seriously doubting we'll get the RS6.  A6 Allroad, maybe, but nothing more in the Avant body.

Even if we get the RS6, tens of them will sell, despite all the "enthusiast" clamor over a car they wouldn't shell out the bucks for in the first place.

/Team C7.5 S6

Yeah, the longer Audi is on the fence, the less likely that we'll get the RS6.  I agree there.  I just don't think I'm willing to give up the V8, so the new S6 is probably a no go for me.  

Did you finally end up selling your SQ5 and get the S6?

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Did you finally end up selling your SQ5 and get the S6?

Yep, I took advantage of that $15K marketing rebate on the C7.5 cars in allocation from the PODS recall.  Found the car I was looking for out of Denver and Audi Plano worked the trade.  Took delivery on New Years Eve.

It's a 2018 Prestige S6, Glacier on Arras Red/Black Exclusive Design, S-Sport package with Sport Differential, Sport Exhaust and black tips, Dynamic Steering, Black Optics and Bang & Olufsen audio.  It got 30% Llumar CTX tint, Air Blue 80 on the sunroof and the full XPEL treatment with a mild paint correction in January.  I've since done all the coding mods, lowered the air suspension 17mm, did Eurocode front/rear sway bars, TRW DTEC ceramic pads, Euro dynamic LED tail lights and the RS7 intake and turbo inlets.  With only 1500 miles on the odometer, I need a few more miles before I'll feel comfortable with a tune.  It'll eventually go Stage-3 with RS7 CHRAs.

IMG_7530.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

I also refinished a set of HRE FF01s in a 3-stage "hyper silver" powdercoat process to match the "Liquid Metal" process HRE only does on the FF04:

2jc900m.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 9

Very nice.  I thought about taking advantage of the rebate on the 18s but then thought it was silly to get the same car, just 2 years newer when there's nothing wrong with the one I have.  I keep going back and forth on a tune.  On one hand, more power is always welcome, and the APR Stage 1 gets you roughly another 150hp/150tq, but I also have an extended warranty on it (bought it CPO) and I've heard Audi is really cracking down on the TD1 shit.  And I'm wondering if the transmission can reliably handle that much power long term.  There's a reason they have the ZF 8 speed in the RS7 and not the DCT that the S6/S7 have.  I know lots of people are running tunes on these, but I don't want to pay for a new transmission.

BTW, those are sport seats.  I thought you wanted the comfort seats?

Kinda late to this party, but yes I recently bought a Tahoe. I love it, what are you wondering specifically?

Not much now since I bought one on Monday. I think it’s great.

If you read all the reviews the journalists seem to like the expedition better. I drove it and it’s nice for sure but I preferred the Tahoe. I know they are about to change but I really like the looks of the current gen.

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

tell me you drive it around with the bowtie still on the hood

Of course. 

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Not much now since I bought one on Monday. I think it’s great.

If you read all the reviews the journalists seem to like the expedition better. I drove it and it’s nice for sure but I preferred the Tahoe. I know they are about to change but I really like the looks of the current gen.

Those were the two I cross shopped (technically the Yukon too, but I didn't bother driving it since it is literally the Tahoe until you get to the Denali trim). I preferred the ride on the Tahoe as well, as well as the looks. Glad you are happy with your purchase!

If you have Magneride, prepare to replace the $650 shocks pretty often after the warranty is out.
They're $350 each for my car and I'm already preparing myself. I'll replace them once and if they fail again, I'll switch to a traditional shock. They're a nice feature, but I don't think I'd miss them.
  • Like 1

They're $350 each for my car and I'm already preparing myself. I'll replace them once and if they fail again, I'll switch to a traditional shock. They're a nice feature, but I don't think I'd miss them.

Yeah, I did quote list price. I looked them up and it does look like you can get them for $350 elsewhere (even on Amazon) if you were do them yourself (which is what you’d be doing I assume). Most people here don’t work on their own vehicles so I just went with that.
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, Fat Bastard said:

i'm kinda the same on this.  the standard look of the mid sized sedan just doesn't have exciting lines to me at this point.  I am well aware Fat's A7, CLS, my Panamera bodies are not for everyone.  I didn't really like any of them when they were first released.  Over the years they have grown on me to the point I find them much more interesting and preferable to the standard mid sized lines.  And I am well aware my 2016 Panamamera GTS is utterly atrocious looking to many, especially the side view.  At least mine is the 2.0 version without the bubbly rear window and had a mild rear makeover from the 1.0 version.  That one still looks shitty even to this Porsche bias fanboy.  

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

BTW, those are sport seats.  I thought you wanted the comfort seats?

I did and unfortunately there were no '18s to be found with comfort seating AND B&O.  The color and audio system was more important to me and Arras Red was only packaged with the sport seats.  The color is a bit darker, like a brick red, and I've come around to it.

I say get the tune done, unless you have AudiCare and visit the dealer frequently or are thinking of trading out of it in the next year or two.  The APR tune is a sunk-cost but can be removed prior to a dealer visit, and although the TD1 flag isn't a foregone conclusion, AoA will support warranty work unless they can directly attribute the failure to a modification.

Surprisingly, the DSG is stronger than I thought-- there are guys ripping axle half shafts apart on the dragstrip using launch control but no fuss from the trans.  I feel fairly confident in it with the number of RS7 turbo tunes running around, putting 700ft-# through the DSG on the street.

FWIW, looks like the Tahoe only gets them in the front, rear still uses the AirLift shocks, which also fail but are a lot cheaper.

Disregard all of this if you have the regular hydraulic absorbers.

I assume these are associated with the magnetic ride control option?

Well, the non P-car life lasted a year. While I loved the Trackhawk, the wife hated it and was forced to drive it while hers was in the shop. So, back to Porsche. Rainy so will have to get a less shitty pic up. Dark brown leather wasn’t first choice but it’s growing on me.
2a245317dfa3d14b1a0d864c9e72a0a5.jpg
61c427083dc9e6ded31a9bd582c636df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Just now, Bert Orange said:

Well, the non P-car life lasted a year. While I loved the Trackhawk, the wife hated it and was forced to drive it while hers was in the shop. So, back to Porsche. Rainy so will have to get a less shitty pic up. Dark brown leather wasn’t first choice but it’s growing on me.
2a245317dfa3d14b1a0d864c9e72a0a5.jpg
61c427083dc9e6ded31a9bd582c636df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great. They have really made this a much better looking car from gen 1.