The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

Of course it's not up to the enthusiast to decide. If any of this was up to the enthusiast, we wouldn't have so many ridiculous crossovers on the road while simultaneously killing off V8's, RWD, manuals, etc. one by one.

I tried to kill Subaru. It lives still. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, Okie State said:

Of course it's not up to the enthusiast to decide. If any of this was up to the enthusiast, we wouldn't have so many ridiculous crossovers on the road while simultaneously killing off V8's, RWD, manuals, etc. one by one.

no crossovers.  all SUVs are proper SUVs: solid axles front and rear, big lever in the middle to engage 4WD, light on creature comforts and a bit rude to drive on the road.  if you want to transport your kids there are a selection of minivans available with sliding doors for proper access to the rear row(s).  "but elfenix if we use regular doors and make it hard to get in the back we can call them crossovers and sell way more" NO FUCK YOU.

• Like 3

no crossovers.  all SUVs are proper SUVs: solid axles front and rear, big lever in the middle to engage 4WD, light on creature comforts and a bit rude to drive on the road.  if you want to transport your kids there are a selection of minivans available with sliding doors for proper access to the rear row(s).  "but elfenix if we use regular doors and make it hard to get in the back we can call them crossovers and sell way more" NO FUCK YOU.
Where do I sign?

Ford Explorer caused all of this mess in 1991 when it came out and was so popular. However, it was on a truck frame, it had no 3rd row, was RWD or 4wd, and while not as capable as a 4Runner or pathfinder did have some capabilities beyond paved road people moving. 

Moms started liking the ride height and became the best customer, and designs started drifting towards capturing that market. 

Ford Explorer caused all of this mess in 1991 when it came out and was so popular. However, it was on a truck frame, it had no 3rd row, was RWD or 4wd, and while not as capable as a 4Runner or pathfinder did have some capabilities beyond paved road people moving. 

Moms started liking the ride height and became the best customer, and designs started drifting towards capturing that market. 

At least it’s going back to being RWD on the next gen.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I blame Jurassic Park

I blame everyone getting super fat. The height of crossovers means all the tubbos can just flop in and out of the vehicle without having to lift their own body weight to exit the car. 

Then in the cargo area they can slide their massive amounts of groceries and sodas off the back ledge instead of needing actual arm strength to lift groceries up and out of a trunk. 

• Like 1

Got a suburban a couple of months ago and love it but have one problem. Got second row bench but am really wishing we got captains. Can they be switched out? Really don't want to go to trouble of trading it in but would be willing to pay a bit for the switch just don't know if that's even possible.

I decided to search about the seat swap because I was curious. 

Most search hits were forums with people trying to trade bench and chairs for opposite swaps, so people at least think it’s possible if not easy. 

One post talked about different mounting brackets, seat belts, carpeting, and wiring harness, but I only saw the one post that made it seem more difficult than bolts off and bolts on. 

Maybe there’s trim packages with motorized and/or heated 2nd row seats that would have to be addressed?

On 4/6/2019 at 9:02 AM, tbone_ said:

I don’t get the hate fur crossovers. Of course they are the Pablum of automotive transportation, but Pablum is appropriate for most of the population.

standard flat-floor, sliding door minvans are far superior in every way except the lies we tell ourselves that we're still cool becuase we drive a "_UV."  congratulations, you're still driving a minivan, but one that's compromised because for you, function follows form. 

just look at the last couple posts about a seat swap (yes, i know that's an SUV with proper tow capability but it works the same as a CUV in this aspect).  when my parents bought their last minivan 20+ years ago it was a trivial swap the dealer did in 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

standard flat-floor, sliding door minvans are far superior in every way except the lies we tell ourselves that we're still cool becuase we drive a "_UV."  congratulations, you're still driving a minivan, but one that's compromised because for you, function follows form. 
just look at the last couple posts about a seat swap (yes, i know that's an SUV with proper tow capability but it works the same as a CUV in this aspect).  when my parents bought their last minivan 20+ years ago it was a trivial swap the dealer did in 10 minutes. 

I get all that. I just don’t get why you and others let it bother you. Waste of energy imo.
  • Like 1

It only bothers me a tiny bit from the idea that car companies can only make a limited amount of models and offering a thousand different crossovers means a potentially more interesting car doesn't get made. 

But I do admit that's not a very big deal since I only shop for a car once or twice a decade. 

• Like 1

It only bothers me a tiny bit from the idea that car companies can only make a limited amount of models and offering a thousand different crossovers means a potentially more interesting car doesn't get made. 
But I do admit that's not a very big deal since I only shop for a car once or twice a decade. 

This is the whole problem. They're killing other models to make room for MORE crossovers. Because there aren't enough to choose from already.
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 10:49 AM, Gale Snoats said:

Got a suburban a couple of months ago and love it but have one problem. Got second row bench but am really wishing we got captains. Can they be switched out? Really don't want to go to trouble of trading it in but would be willing to pay a bit for the switch just don't know if that's even possible.

i’ve got the opposite issue. we just got a new expedition with the captains chairs and i can’t help but think we’d have been better off with the bench. we have 4 kids to tote around but there plenty of room with the current config. just can’t shake that feeling is all. 

I have an expedition with the chairs and my parents have one with the bench. The chairs are far superior. 

You have to pull three different straps/levers to tilt the bench seat out of the way to climb into the back. And even still it's a close squeeze and one that adults will never do easily or quickly. 

The chairs are way better.

i’ve got the opposite issue. we just got a new expedition with the captains chairs and i can’t help but think we’d have been better off with the bench. we have 4 kids to tote around but there plenty of room with the current config. just can’t shake that feeling is all. 

This was my thinking when I bought - basically wanted that one extra passenger option. But we very very rarely need that extra seat and getting in and out of third row is a beatdown

16 hours ago, Okie State said:
16 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

This is the whole problem. They're killing other models to make room for MORE crossovers. Because there aren't enough to choose from already.

No, that's not it. People aren't buying the other models is why they are killing them off.

This is such a nonsensical argument. 

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I have thought aston was the best looking cars on the road for a while now.  These new ones have altered that.  just too flat and not as interesting.  

I think in real life they look better...but those wheels bug the shit out of me as someone above mentioned.  Too Tesla like, I guess.  

Used to love Aston in my early 20’s. Then I realized their fucking tech is awful. I know, I know, it’s all about the driving experience, but I give a fuck about the interior dash and infotainment too, but their’s is 90’s era Toyota.  Same reason I hate Maserati. That, and the fit/finish is pure dogshit 

Edited by Fat Bastard

I passed on Porsche a few years back for the same reason. There is plenty to not like about Tesla especially first gen but the tech packages with its competitors suck so hard. I do still think the Astons are sick cars though.

That guy has a rolls Royce to go with his Lamborghini (he drove it today) and Aston, oh and he has a model S tesla too. It’s nuts.

7 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Used to love Aston in my early 20’s. Then I realized their fucking tech is awful. I know, I know, it’s all about the driving experience, but I give a fuck about the interior dash and infotainment too, but their’s is 90’s era Toyota.  Same reason I hate Maserati. That, and the fit/finish is pure dogshit 

those mid 2000s astons were probably the best looking ever made in modern era.  particularly the compact-sized vantage is my favorite.  the design was so successful, all those cars started looking identical.  an aston buff might be able to make sense of the models but vanquish, virage, dbs, db#, volante, etc, made for a pretty damn confusing lineup

9 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

well, their driving experience sucks too.  In about 2006 or 2007 when the ASton Vantage V8 came out I had a super hard on for one.  I had had my 2005 Carrera S for a couple of years and loved it, but the Aston was drop dead gorgeous.  A buddy of mine has a dealership, and let me take one for the weekend to see if I wanted to swap my 911 for it.  I took it back early.  The thing was so "loose", lumbering, the amount of body roll was 7 series sedan like.  The engine was pretty underpowered for that much metal too.  The exhaust note was amazing.  It sounded fast, but wasn't actually fast.  The interior tech was shit, and not very intuitive.  Needless to say I didn't make the trade, and I still have the Carrera S.  

2 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s really interesting to hear. I wouldn’t have thought that.

the funny thing was when the Vantage came out it was marketed as a direct competitor to the 997 C2S.  The cars couldn't have possibly been more different.  I think had I had a different expectation of the aston, I would have had a totally different opinion on it.  Maybe if they had stated more of a direct competitor with the BMW M6 they would have at least been comparing apples to apples, sorta.  Saying it was a direct competitor to the 911 made me think it should have similar capabilities, drive characteristics, etc, and I thought with a mid engine lay out, V8 and those looks it would be awesome.  It wasn't.  Not even in the same ballpark from a drivers perspective.  It's still one of the most gorgeous cars ever built, but it was a totally soulless drive. 

here is an old top gear comparison of the 911 Carrera S, M6, and Aston Vantage.  I had forgotten about this, but one of my favorite top gear episodes ever.  as a now very long time owner of the model 911 they used in this, and with the same equipment, I have to say it would be impossible for me to agree with James May to a stronger degree about the car.  It is still exciting to drive, and I still love it every time I get in it. 

https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-tv/aston-martin-vantage-vs-bmw-m6-vs-porsche-911-part-24-series-7-episode-1

https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-tv/aston-martin-vantage-vs-bmw-m6-vs-porsche-911-part-34-series-7-episode-1

https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-tv/aston-martin-vantage-vs-bmw-m6-vs-porsche-911-part-44-series-7-episode-1

Edited by pepper brooks