The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Not sure. All the ones I saw were black with the blue painted calipers. Maybe one of the BMW aficionados here might know better. I definitely dig the all black exterior and these rims appear easier to clean than the pain in the ass one I had previously 

6 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Not sure. All the ones I saw were black with the blue painted calipers. Maybe one of the BMW aficionados here might know better. I definitely dig the all black exterior and these rims appear easier to clean than the pain in the ass one I had previously 

Just in time for pollen season!

have fun, keep the shiny side up

On 5/5/2019 at 4:16 PM, Fat Bastard said:

Pics:

57fd55b284017042b07e8f07d8a6ee9b.jpg

64d97246bb408d9ea3e7510316c85dda.jpg

5292da489a23d0168c3d4b18e7c91987.jpg

2242ec8cfa927b465c759508c12d585a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just turned in a black on black M4 after a 3 year lease.

Is there a track anywhere near you?  If so get on it.  You can't really appreciate the power and handling of these guys on normal streets.  Turn the nannies off and go to town.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, tbone_ said:

I liked the ct6 too. But it seemed pricey for what it is. Maybe used is better on them.

I guess because GM doesn't quite have the decades of experience building eurokillers, but only a decade or so, they always miss the mark just by a hair or two.  The chassis and engines are on, usually, but the interior a little bit off.

That said, a year or two or three gently used, holy fuck they are a steal. The 3.6L V6 that seems to be the centerpiece engine,. and the 2L T4 seem to be pretty solid engines with the bugs worked out and same with the chassis designs.  My 8 year old coupe, which is on the harsher side, remains rattle-free and it's still a ton of fun to put your foot in that V-6. 

My CTS coupe has those "reach in the notch" and squeeze an electronic pad door "handles" that were on vettes for a while, maybe still are.  When I bought, I thought, that's a kinda cool/kinda cheesy thing that's going to break.  Sure enough, the driver's side "pad" became erratic at about 80k.  I was like fuuuuuck.  Got online, looked for the part.  Twenty bucks.  Before I bought, I went and looked at what kind of reverse-Torx bullshit fasteners were on the pad.  Two Phillips-head screws and off and a snap electrical connector.  I fixed it for 20 bucks with a Swiss Army Knife, good as new.

Try that with your krautwagens.

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Try that with your krautwagens.

My confidence owning/servicing a modern Cadillac is high, but I've been fueling and driving kraut for a long while.  It's remarkable how such 'parts-bin-engineering' goes on across the board, even German brands.  I've fitted and activated a few EU-spec parts to my S6 with basic hand tools and coded them with a $30 bluetooth dongle, paired to a burner Android phone.  A set of RS7 turbo cartridges can be purchased for less than $1500, with a $1000 APR tune that supports the hardware and multiple pump/race fuel options, up to 700HP on the otherwise stock engine. 

People are crafty and this is the best time to be a car enthusiast before we're all driving semi-autonomous, 5G-peered, full-time-monitored, smart-grid-connected EVs that do everything for us except allow us to be actual owners/drivers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

New Speedster released.  500HP naturally aspirated with 6 speed manual.  0-60 figures at 3.8 are kinda disappointing given the power, and 275k price tag.  guess the RWD and manual are a hindrance.  

0-60 figures should have died out at the end of the last decade.  cars are so powerful nowadays, that its really a function of launch control, gearbox, and drivetrain.  and less indicative of actual accelerative capabilities.  0-100 is a better metric, or something like 5-80 to take into account a rolling start. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Why wouldn’t you just buy a 911 turbo? Faster for half the money?

exactly my thinking, BUT there are people who view these cars as collectors items.  I don't really get it.  They're making 1948 of them which, to me, it way too many for anything that is going to be a "collector" car.  I would do with a turbo, or if wanting something more "collector" from Porsche the GT2RS with Weissach package.  I realize that is a very very very very different car than the speedster.  I just don't really get the speedster on many levels.  Cool that it is naturally aspirated, I guess.  I will confess I do like the "heritage" package interior on the GT silver car.  

Edited by pepper brooks

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

you could buy a 356 for that as well.  and have something that's actually iconic rather than a VAG cash grab. 

I find this so ironic.  Why is a 356 (which I love very much), which is a lesser car in every category than a VW bug, worth the same/more than a car that is basically a 2019 GT3?  That was rhetorical, the answer is the same reason gold and diamonds have value which is the same reason the speedster is going for the current rate.

In other news the new Maserati Volante SUV is offering a GTS and Trofeo package both of which will come with Ferrari built V8 engines.  Im not sure how I feel about that, but more naturally aspirated V8's produced by Ferrari is always welcome in my opinon, even if the rest of the vehicle is a flaming turd. 

I looked at the Platinum Expedition a few months ago before I bought a Tahoe.

Nice, but way pricey. Guessing the Navigator is even more $$. I also like the way the Tahoe drove better. The Expedition is 6 inches longer than the Tahoe so you might not need the Max though.

11 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

So anybody have a Navigator? Looking for something similar to a Suburban/Escalade XL. Seems nice but expensive as fuck.

They are fucking huge, but the Raptor engine gets it going nicely.  I like the MB GLS better, and it's cheaper in the GLS450 trim.  

15 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

So anybody have a Navigator? Looking for something similar to a Suburban/Escalade XL. Seems nice but expensive as fuck.

Looked at them for my wife, but with 2 kids I didn’t like the 2nd row center console instead of the walk through. Plus, I couldn’t justify the pricing. She preferred the Ford anyways, so went with a Platinum Expedition instead. It’s a little bit of a change moving from the Range Rover she had, but we needed the extra space for a few years.

56 minutes ago, Brew said:

Looked at them for my wife, but with 2 kids I didn’t like the 2nd row center console instead of the walk through. Plus, I couldn’t justify the pricing. She preferred the Ford anyways, so went with a Platinum Expedition instead. It’s a little bit of a change moving from the Range Rover she had, but we needed the extra space for a few years.

That pretty much took the Q80 out of it for us as well.  Why the hell you have a third row but a fucking console in the second row.  Neighbor has one and their kids just climb all over it or unload from the back.  Dumb. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

That pretty much took the Q80 out of it for us as well.  Why the hell you have a third row but a fucking console in the second row.  Neighbor has one and their kids just climb all over it or unload from the back.  Dumb. 

again, shit minivans had perfectly solved 30 years ago. but no one is buying an $80,000 minivan. 

30 minutes ago, elfenix said:

again, shit minivans had perfectly solved 30 years ago. but no one is buying an $80,000 minivan. 

Meh I know it’s the cool thing to compare all non-Toyota suvs to minivans but our Yukon goes a helluva lot more places than a minivan will. Times may have changed but I don’t remember many minivans with 400 hp V8’s either. 

The $100K X7's have started showing up around town. It's amazing to me what people are willing to spend on a grocery and kid hauler.

I test drove one. They’re nice af. And the big motor is fast as shit. But that price tag wasn’t for me.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Meh I know it’s the cool thing to compare all non-Toyota suvs to minivans but our Yukon goes a helluva lot more places than a minivan will. Times may have changed but I don’t remember many minivans with 400 hp V8’s either. 

renault-espace-f1.jpg

• Like 1

I have had my Panamera GTS for one year now.  In that time I have put a little over 11k miles on it.  Clock is now at 22,XXX.  I have taken it in once for the scheduled 20k mile service.  That was about 1,800.  That price included replacing one tire.  I also had to replace the front windshield.  I have windshield replacement on my insurance so the glass cost me nothing.  What it did not know was after getting the windshield replaced I had to take it to the dealer to get all the cameras and lane departure sensors and shit re-set/programmed.  I still cannot figure out how all that shit needed to be done because I replaced the front windshield, but none of it worked after I replaced it and the window guy had told me I was going to have to get that done.  I Checked on line and confirmed because it sounded like bullshit to me.  Anyway, that shit cost me $500.  absurd.  OTher than that I had no  other issues requiring repairs.  One year in, and I continue to love this car more all the time.   I still thing the front end of this car is the best looking panamera to date including the latest model.  THe back has grown on me from every angle other than the straight side view.  That is still awkward at best.  The thing is so fun to drive for a giant of a car.  The sound of the that naturally aspirated V8 is a work of art.  The alcantara shows no signs of wear or degradation so far.  One thing that is a pain in the ass, and I knew it would be from my 911 is the cleaning of the leather in this thing.  Everything is leather.  The dash, the door panels, the coverings of the pillars inside, everything.  It's a mild pain in the ass in a small car like a 911.  It's a giant pain in the ass for a car of this size.  Takes forever to clean.  Takes forever to wash. Overall, I am about as pleased as I have ever been with a car purchase.  It is still "new" to me in that the more comfortable I am driving it the more capabilities it reveals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

What it did not know was after getting the windshield replaced I had to take it to the dealer to get all the cameras and lane departure sensors and shit re-set/programmed.  I still cannot figure out how all that shit needed to be done because I replaced the front windshield, but none of it worked after I replaced it and the window guy had told me I was going to have to get that done.  I Checked on line and confirmed because it sounded like bullshit to me.  Anyway, that shit cost me $500.  absurd.  

That's completely expected, given the VZE camera, rain sensor and perhaps an ambient light sensor are bonded to the factory windshield.  Yes, shit's complicated, but no way in hell would I trust a third-party glass shop to replace my windshield with all the integrations built in and delicate trim strips that are intended for replacement, not glued-and-reused.  We have insurance, take it only to the dealership or their partner body shop.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 4:30 PM, tbone_ said:

I looked at the Platinum Expedition a few months ago before I bought a Tahoe.

Nice, but way pricey. Guessing the Navigator is even more $$. I also like the way the Tahoe drove better. The Expedition is 6 inches longer than the Tahoe so you might not need the Max though.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:40 PM, Chewbacca said:

They are fucking huge, but the Raptor engine gets it going nicely.  I like the MB GLS better, and it's cheaper in the GLS450 trim.  

On 5/16/2019 at 8:00 AM, Brew said:

They are definitely expensive as shit. Basically 90-100k which is crazy. Definitely have to go with the larger size though which cuts out anything Tahoe-sized and the MB.

With 2 dogs and two kids and going to the beach regularly, we need the "trunk" space.

When I went to the dealer, he said that 2nd role console could be removed.

Does the Expedition Max Platinum or whatever come with the Raptor engine? That might be a more reasonable option. At least in  the 70-80k range. Struggling with the concept of $100k for a car unless its a high-performance Porsche or something like that. But a fucking Lincoln?

Forza is to blame for this, but it was funny to see the confused look on my wife’s face when one of our 10 year old boys said he wanted an aventador performante.

as to the above, is suburban not an option?   What’s the price point of a suburban LTZ or Yukon XL Denali compared to an expedition EL platinum?

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Forza is to blame for this, but it was funny to see the confused look on my wife’s face when one of our 10 year old boys said he wanted an aventador performante.

as to the above, is suburban not an option?   What’s the price point of a suburban LTZ or Yukon XL Denali compared to an expedition EL platinum?

Had a few Suburban's and just got tired of the "meh" service. Upgraded to the Escalade XL and its a piece of shit. Service isn't much better than Chevy. I prefer the look of the Suburban to the GMCs but I guess its worth looking at them. The Expedition seems to be about $80k mostly fully loaded. Navigator is about $100k. Suburban is $75-85k.

Next question is, sell me on leasing versus buying. Obviously an upgraded car every three years and lower overall payments are nice benefits. Financially, I haven't looked at it versus buying and seems like most of the good lease deals require 10% down up front which can be significant for an $80k+ car and its a recurring charge every 3 years and you never own the car.

We typically keep cars for 7-8 years. 3 cars currently, 1 car payment (the Escalade) which we bought used and can sell for $6-8k more than we owe on it currently. But probably can sell for $20k+ in a couple years after its paid off. We don't put a ton of miles on our cars - 10k per year for the Escalade, 7k/year for my car. So that benefits the lease price but also the potential re-sale value.

Seems like buying used with low miles is the best financial decision. Leasing is increasingly popular, which makes me think its an increasingly bad idea for the consumer.

TLDR Version

Used>New>Lease?

or

Lease>Used>New?

A Limited Expedition Max can be found right around $70k and maybe less. It has all the options we wanted after adding a couple of packages to it. We didn’t need the extra space even with 2 kids and a dog, we’ll just fold one side of the back down.

We leased the RR Sport she has. I ran the numbers both ways and for it the lease was the better deal for her 3 year cycle of vehicles I thought. It worked out because the residual on hers is probably $10k over a reasonable trade in at this point. I looked at it on the Expedition and with 0% right now it looked like buying was going to be a better option on this one.  

Used is always a better deal, but I’m buying new. I’m going to eat the depreciation and I’ll survive.

Edited by Brew

They are definitely expensive as shit. Basically 90-100k which is crazy. Definitely have to go with the larger size though which cuts out anything Tahoe-sized and the MB.
With 2 dogs and two kids and going to the beach regularly, we need the "trunk" space.
When I went to the dealer, he said that 2nd role console could be removed.
Does the Expedition Max Platinum or whatever come with the Raptor engine? That might be a more reasonable option. At least in  the 70-80k range. Struggling with the concept of $100k for a car unless its a high-performance Porsche or something like that. But a fucking Lincoln?
Get a rocket box and you have plenty of room for kids and dogs. We have 2 teenage boys and 2 Newfies and go to the mountains all the time in the QX80. The GLS is probably going to replace it as soon as the 2020s hit the lots.