The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

I forgot to mention that Kia has temporarily quit taking orders for the Telluride's top trim SX with the prestige package.  The wait had reached 4 months because of high demand and supplier issues (Nappa seats.)   It may be late fall before they start taking orders again.

Edited by clapclapclap

32 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I forgot to mention that Kia has temporarily quit taking orders for the Telluride's top trim SX with the prestige package.  The wait had reached 4 months because of high demand and supplier issues (Nappa seats.)   It may be late fall before they start taking orders again.

Can confirm. Spoke with the dealer because the one we were going to buy was dark moss and brown interior (not my preference). Kia is having major supplier issues and may not resume production until actual 2020.

The one thing that has consistently blown my fucking mind is the lack of towing package on the prestige trim. It should be included. Why the fuck have a 3 row SUV with no towing hitch especially when it's less than an 800 dollar option. Wtf. 

On 5/31/2019 at 2:17 PM, elfenix said:

Cadillac announced the new ATS errrrrr CT4-v, yesterday. And it's definitely a little v because the motor is GM's 2.7L turbo 4, putting out "just" 320 hp. That's the same as the ATS non-V with a V6, and down 144 hp from the ATS-V.

The consensus seems to be that the V is going to be mid-peformance, they're bringing some crazy blackwing-esque 5-600 hp stuff in coming years for the top line.

11 hours ago, Loco said:

I had a good friend who thought the same thing.  When he had kids, he bought a minivan.   Verdict:  So good once you are inside and driving, very practical...  but walking to it in the parking lot is soul crushing.  He lasted 1 year.

Now I wish I'd had the forethought in Highschool to rock a minivan...  so many advantages

In the late 1950s my brother dated a UT coed who drove a ‘55 Chevy station wagon with a mattress in the back.

The consensus seems to be that the V is going to be mid-peformance, they're bringing some crazy blackwing-esque 5-600 hp stuff in coming years for the top line.

What would it be called then? The V was always the bosshog while the V-Sport was one notch below. Like Audi S vs. RS. Not sure why you'd change that.

The CT6-V has the Blackwing.

Not sure if any of y’all are familiar with the half mile races or the Texas Invitational that takes place at the Caddo Mills “airport”. If you are then you’ve heard of Dallas Performance and it’s owner Taylor Sims. Sadly he was killed while testing a customers car near his shop. Something he’s done hundreds if not thousands of times. All it takes is one thing to go wrong unfortunately when dealing with cars making over 2,000rwhp. He was a good guy.  Feel sorry for his kids 

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28481/founder-of-popular-texas-tuning-shop-dies-after-crashing-lamborghini-gallardo-at-high-speed

3 hours ago, BERT said:

All it takes is one thing to go wrong unfortunately when dealing with cars making over 2,000rwhp.

Maybe nothing went wrong.  That much power is just doing what that much power does.  If you're a lion, or tiger trainer/handler eventually they might kill you.  His wife probably had no idea of the risk she was taking. Pushing a 2000hp car on a regular basis is an extremely hazardous job.    

13 hours ago, Sandman said:

All you Porsche guys can now get custom livery on any vehicle for an extra 4000 Euros. Pretty neat.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/digital/porsche-vehicle-livery-design-online-platform-second-skin.html

oh no.  I did not need that option.  If this whole business thing works out there is zero shot im not ordering something with an old  gulf blue and orange livery.  

On 6/9/2019 at 4:37 PM, G650 said:

Anything that kills minivans is a net positive 

Minivans had their purpose and still do especially if you have young children like under 6.   We had a Toyota Sienna when our oldest were both under that age and I didn't mind driving it at all.  The best thing about them is you didn't have to worry about your kid opening a door and it denting the shit out of someones door parked next to you.  But we did move up to a Toyota Seqouia and then a GMC Yukon (piece of shit) later down the road, primarly because we needed the space as we added a third child and quite frankly every other family had a large SUV or truck, so it became a safety issue in my mind.   Now with two having left for college and the move in the market towards smaller SUV's , we are downsized to a Honda Pilot and with the wife goind through her midlife crises, she is wanting a MB or some other luxury brand SUV.   At least she stopped wanting a Jeep after she test drove one.

completely unsatisfied with my range rover and the people in the austin service department may be the most useless fucking people on the planet.

think i'm probably headed home to my fellow bavarians tomorrow.  unfortunately, life station demands an x5 instead of a car for driving.  thinking the 2019 xdrive 50 optioned up with all the shit.  anyone have an argument against?  mercedes and range rover will never enter the conversation again for the rest of my life.  fucking ever.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sidis said:

completely unsatisfied with my range rover and the people in the austin service department may be the most useless fucking people on the planet.

think i'm probably headed home to my fellow bavarians tomorrow.  unfortunately, life station demands an x5 instead of a car for driving.  thinking the 2019 xdrive 50 optioned up with all the shit.  anyone have an argument against?  mercedes and range rover will never enter the conversation again for the rest of my life.  fucking ever.

New X5 is getting great reviews.  I loved the Q7 I had for a loaner the last time my car was in for service as well.

driving down 59 toward downtown Houston the other day I was tailing a burnt orange McClaren 720.  God almighty that thing was unreal.  I was cruising about 85 and the guy blows by me like I was sitting still. 

The McClaren store is near my house in Scottsdale. I see these all the time around the area. The burnt orange ones especially. So bad ass. And the sound. Don’t even get me started.

3 hours ago, sidis said:

We have an X6 50 and are happy with it.   It's fast as hell in sport mode, so much so that I thought I was going to roll it a couple of times in tight corners - forgot I was sitting so high.

PSA the 50 gets terrible gas mileage.  Right now we're at 9 mpg when not driving in Sport. Yes, 9.  Only knock on the car.

The X5 was reengineered for 2019 IIRC, while the 6 wasn't, and the reviews are great.

8 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

We have an X6 50 and are happy with it.   It's fast as hell in sport mode, so much so that I thought I was going to roll it a couple of times in tight corners - forgot I was sitting so high.

PSA the 50 gets terrible gas mileage.  Right now we're at 9 mpg when not driving in Sport. Yes, 9.  Only knock on the car.

The X5 was reengineered for 2019 IIRC, while the 6 wasn't, and the reviews are great.

9 mpg?  My buddy has an X6M.  I know he has complained about the mileage, but I think he's in the low teens.  And he has a lead foot.

8 minutes ago, Okie State said:

9 mpg is like '60's push rod big block fuel economy. I get high teens, low 20's in a 376 LS3 with ancient technology.

Yeah, I get 17-23 in my S6.  Something's wrong with BMW if they can't do better than single digits on those cars.

18 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

I was getting 22 easy in my A7. I’m getting 12 during the break in period on my M5. It’s pretty alarming. 

I was getting 18 in my M4.

So when I saw 9 in the V8 X6 I just chalked it up to the difference between a turbo 6 and 8.

Not happy about it, but enjoyment of the car moves me on.  Knowing this before might have lured me away to another badge though.

22 hours ago, Okie State said:

What would it be called then? The V was always the bosshog while the V-Sport was one notch below. Like Audi S vs. RS. Not sure why you'd change that.

The CT6-V has the Blackwing.

The CT6 is a couple of years old.  They're changing shit up, renaming the whole line, V is becoming what V-sport briefly was, the intention being a more accessible sport model and something else being the insane Q-ship.

15 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I was getting 18 in my M4.

So when I saw 9 in the V8 X6 I just chalked it up to the difference between a turbo 6 and 8.

Not happy about it, but enjoyment of the car moves me on.  Knowing this before might have lured me away to another badge though.

That extra 1500 lbs and driving it like your M4 probably explans everything.  The extra 1.5L doesn't help either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

That extra 1500 lbs and driving it like your M4 probably explans everything.  The extra 1.5L doesn't help either.

Yeah, but G650s 20 blows me away.  On board computer needs some investigation, maybe a reset. 

The CT6 is a couple of years old.  They're changing shit up, renaming the whole line, V is becoming what V-sport briefly was, the intention being a more accessible sport model and something else being the insane Q-ship.

I don't understand why they do shit like this. V was synonymous with supercharged V8's. It was good branding. Why change it? Just because?

I could understand renaming the V-Sport range as that was always kind of awkward.

I don't understand why they do shit like this. V was synonymous with supercharged V8's. It was good branding. Why change it? Just because? 
I could understand renaming the V-Sport range as that was always kind of awkward.

Cadillac naming has been lost for a while.

Bring back Eldorado and Deville?

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

I think the legitimate part of it is that most models had a sport-y version labeled just "Performance" and impossible to distinguish from the more luxobargish versions.  They're trying to distance themselves from luxobarges and emphasize performance short of the expensive and outrageous Vs.  I'm not sure they sold enough -V models to worry about really diluting that moniker.  The people who bought -V models would probably buy them no matter what you called them.

They're trying to attract the more brainless type of BMW, Audi and Benz drivers with a mid-level sport package.  The kind who buy the M-Sport package on a 3 or 4 series because CD tells them to.

That's the idea and I think it's legit.  You can certainly quibble with the particular execution.

9 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Yeah I'm a dumbass. Need to be moving to actually reset. X6 50 getting 14 in city lead foot driving.

Still recommend the vehicle, still surprised how quickly I have to refuel.

That sounds more reasonable. I'm a highway driver, so I think that spread is about right 

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Cadillac naming has been lost for a while.

Bring back Eldorado and Deville?

Corinthian Leather!

I'll be driving through Corinth this summer...  am sorely tempted to ask around about their famous cows

13 hours ago, Okie State said:

9 mpg is like '60's push rod big block fuel economy. I get high teens, low 20's in a 376 LS3 with ancient technology.

I could get 28mpg on I-20 in my 427 LS7. I thought that was crazy. I never even attempted to know my city mpg 

2 minutes ago, Okie State said:
15 minutes ago, BERT said:
I could get 28mpg on I-20 in my 427 LS7. I thought that was crazy. I never even attempted to know my city mpg 

Probably had cylinder deactivation to get that mileage.

Or the fact in was in a 3100 pound car