The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

19 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Has there been long term studies of the reliability of those turbo engines?  I thought it was significant that high reliability makers like Honda and Toyota were sticking with regular NA engines, but it looks like Honda jumped ship too.  

I have read rumors that the next Landcruiser will be a TT V6.  If Toyota truly is going turbo on the LC, they've figured out the reliability issues.

21 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Has there been long term studies of the reliability of those turbo engines?  I thought it was significant that high reliability makers like Honda and Toyota were sticking with regular NA engines, but it looks like Honda jumped ship too.  

Porsche has been producing turbo engines in production cars since 1975.  Seems to be working out.  

24 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It's 2019-- Honda and Toyota shouldn't get a pass for their running cost/reliability halo established in the '90s when a large lump of their U.S. product is still being assembled with 90s-era powertrain technology.  Fleet CAFE averages and lower production costs are also fringe benefits to sticking NA, port-injection, 4 and 5-speed autos in their largest sales-volume models.

I also tend to hate everything coming out of Japan these days, with exception to the more attractive Mazda models, so take my bias for they way I see things.

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

im guessing modern computer management to monitor things like temperature helps a ton

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

americans dont like diesel, but nothing makes more sense in heavy SUVs than diesel given the power curve, the torque output, and the efficiency

RR Sport Diesel was one of the best vehicles my wife has had. It got great mileage and you would never know it had a diesel. However, the dealership couldn’t give the things away. She wanted another one when she traded but there were very few out there to pick from.

17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

im guessing modern computer management to monitor things like temperature helps a ton

Yeah, I am of that age where the early turbos were a mess and that engenders some skepticism.  But I think I'm past it.

Also saw a Genesis G70 in the wild yesterday.  Nice looking sedan, unique without being weird.  But it was a 2.0T and I would reallly want the 6 and it loses most pretense at a bargain with that engine.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, Chewbacca said:

How prevalent are the IMS issues in the 997.1 cars?  Looking around rennlist and the rest of the interwebs, it seems like it's less prevalent than in the 996, but it's also not something you can preventatively fix.  You're either good, or you grenade your engine and pay $20k to replace.  I would lean towards a 997.2 to avoid that, but those are still holding in the same price range as the 997.1 turbos, which do not have the IMS issue, and I'd rather have one of those over a regular 911.  I'm trying to be responsible and get my Porsche, dammit.

FYI you can always preemptively swap out the IMS bearing and just be done with it. FN Engineering makes an aftermarket replacement that many people have used with great results.  

46 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

FYI you can always preemptively swap out the IMS bearing and just be done with it. FN Engineering makes an aftermarket replacement that many people have used with great results.  

I thought I read that was not an option on the 997.1, only on the 996 cars?

Yeah, I am of that age where the early turbos were a mess and that engenders some skepticism.  But I think I'm past it.

Also saw a Genesis G70 in the wild yesterday.  Nice looking sedan, unique without being weird.  But it was a 2.0T and I would reallly want the 6 and it loses most pretense at a bargain with that engine.

Not sure its supposed to be a bargain, exactly, but even with the 6 it’s about 60-70% of the price of a comparable BMW or Audi, in addition to being great cars on their own terms.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Love seeing Lambos wind around those narrow roads. 

Be there in 2 weeks!

if that whole singer Porsche doesn't work out you can always go with the Starke Speedster.  These things are absolutely amazing.  Very different car from the Singer, but no less stunning.  

https://starkespeedster.com/?fbclid=IwAR2XEy8GFjHkZrrn5pTd4WzRi_U2WjL1f9Gps8MeLs9_TmHlUzJAQWV5ZfQ

• Like 1

Probably more appropriate to the classics thread, but thought that some of you porsche nuts would be interested in this one. Current bid @ $170k, ends in 8 hours, so get your bids in fellas. Should close ~ 250k+:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1955-porsche-4-cam-carerra/

1955 Porsche Type 547/1 Fuhrmann Four-Cam Engine

1565134707973450bf6aScreen-Shot-2019-08-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

if that whole singer Porsche doesn't work out you can always go with the Starke Speedster.  These things are absolutely amazing.  Very different car from the Singer, but no less stunning.  

https://starkespeedster.com/?fbclid=IwAR2XEy8GFjHkZrrn5pTd4WzRi_U2WjL1f9Gps8MeLs9_TmHlUzJAQWV5ZfQ

Holy F@&%! That interior!

So i assume the no loaner car is a European thing? I've never owned a BMW, but have never had an issue getting a loaner at Audi or Infiniti.
Yeah, Audi has been surprisingly good with their customer service. Other than the time I had a weird run in with some guy in the service department.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Another prole vehicle question.  How is the M-B GLC, meaning the SUV?  I have seen a few on the street and it seems to be a good size from the outside (not small, not ginormous and doesn't remind one of an econobox as some of the smaller SUVs do).  I know it isn't a Macan, but that's too spendy (pre and post purchase) for me.

Also, what's the deal with these four door coupes?  They're nice looking in some cases, but the rooflines seem to render the second set of doors superfluous.  A 6 series two-door would be right in my wheelhouse, but alas.  Also, these four door coupe SUVs? Wtf?  I mean wtff?

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Another prole vehicle question.  How is the M-B GLC, meaning the SUV?  I have seen a few on the street and it seems to be a good size from the outside (not small, not ginormous and doesn't remind one of an econobox as some of the smaller SUVs do).  I know it isn't a Macan, but that's too spendy (pre and post purchase) for me.

Also, what's the deal with these four door coupes?  They're nice looking in some cases, but the rooflines seem to render the second set of doors superfluous.  A 6 series two-door would be right in my wheelhouse, but alas.  Also, these four door coupe SUVs? Wtf?  I mean wtff?

Saw a GLC63 the other day.  Can't believe they shoehorned that big TT V8 into that tiny SUV.