Jump to content
Armybrat

Anyone do futures bets?

Recommended Posts

I put $400 on Golden State repeating in 2018 in February for something like -170. 

The Rockets series got interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 10:25 AM, ztejas said:

I put $400 on Golden State repeating in 2018 in February for something like -170. 

The Rockets series got interesting. 

I had them also...think I laid like -200. Jumped in relatively late in the season.

If the NBA doesn’t play 82 games it’s going to cost me money. I have the Jazz over at -105 that was looking dicey, even before all their players were dying...but I also have a Nets under at +150 that is solid. Shortened season would have both refunded.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the past 3 seasons the Tampa Bay Rays have been a good futures bet.  They haven’t won, but every season they have at some point been half the odds they started at.  This year they are again a good bet (I think they’re currently 20/1).

 

They will almost certainly make the playoffs.  They have a deep lineup, excellent SP, and plenty of farm depth to acquire additional talent at the deadline.  I would like them as low as 12/1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After more than a decade of playing poker--and even moving countries to do so, a few years ago I made the full-time transition into sports betting.  It's crazy the numbers that I think are "normal" now, considering what I felt comfortable with in 2018.  That said, and on topic, Futures bets are a waste of time for everyone.  You can just put that money in a mutual fund and get a higher expected return than laying money on a futures bet that won't settle for months.  Sure, it's less fun, but if we're talking about your money, taking a bet that settles in a short period of time is the better play.  Not to mention all those futures tickets that get lost, win, and never get cashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 7:20 PM, Governor said:

After more than a decade of playing poker--and even moving countries to do so, a few years ago I made the full-time transition into sports betting.  It's crazy the numbers that I think are "normal" now, considering what I felt comfortable with in 2018.  That said, and on topic, Futures bets are a waste of time for everyone.  You can just put that money in a mutual fund and get a higher expected return than laying money on a futures bet that won't settle for months.  Sure, it's less fun, but if we're talking about your money, taking a bet that settles in a short period of time is the better play.  Not to mention all those futures tickets that get lost, win, and never get cashed.

Most of my futures bets are on credit. I’ll even take a slightly worse number than I have available at other outs to not tie the cash up. It’s not legal and depending on exposure the limits might shrink on me, but it generally has worked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always put $100 on the Rangers winning the world series and $100 on the team with the worst odds. Futures betting is such a crap shoot that I have to go big for me to feel like it's worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In January, I placed a couple of over / under win totals for two MLB teams.  At this point, I assume that I would apply the winning percentage of those at 162 to the 60 game season for the new over / under numbers.  Does anyone know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  Guess I can check w Caesar’s and see if that’s the deal for sure before I send my betting slips in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 8:25 AM, HRSchenker said:

I always put $100 on the Rangers winning the world series and $100 on the team with the worst odds. Futures betting is such a crap shoot that I have to go big for me to feel like it's worth it.

$200 is a lot to bet on the rangers every year

 

also to OP, I don't think you can bet on yourself in a death pool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 9:38 AM, cochamps said:

In January, I placed a couple of over / under win totals for two MLB teams.  At this point, I assume that I would apply the winning percentage of those at 162 to the 60 game season for the new over / under numbers.  Does anyone know?

Those are gonna be No Action. You can look up the sportsbook rules online if you know the casino, my guess is there is a 160 or 158 game minimum for action. You can get a refund for the bet amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Those are gonna be No Action. You can look up the sportsbook rules online if you know the casino, my guess is there is a 160 or 158 game minimum for action. You can get a refund for the bet amount.

Thanks.  This is correct for anyone else who might wonder.  

I sent my betting slips in to get a refund in the amount of the original wagers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Those are gonna be No Action. You can look up the sportsbook rules online if you know the casino, my guess is there is a 160 or 158 game minimum for action. You can get a refund for the bet amount.

Bud, sorry but I have to ask. Is your handle based on the name of a drink from Tien Hong on Burnett RD circa 2000-2002ish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 7:20 PM, Governor said:

After more than a decade of playing poker--and even moving countries to do so, a few years ago I made the full-time transition into sports betting.  It's crazy the numbers that I think are "normal" now, considering what I felt comfortable with in 2018.  That said, and on topic, Futures bets are a waste of time for everyone.  You can just put that money in a mutual fund and get a higher expected return than laying money on a futures bet that won't settle for months.  Sure, it's less fun, but if we're talking about your money, taking a bet that settles in a short period of time is the better play.  Not to mention all those futures tickets that get lost, win, and never get cashed.

Hold on, we have a pro sports bettor on here? We should all be rich by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha.  No pro bettor gives away or sells his picks.  Literally zero props selling picks on Twitter, online, on late night TV ads--ZERO, are worth a shit.  If they were winning on their own, they wouldn't offer their picks to the public.  Either they're complete frauds (some of whom are clueless, but good salesmen), or, more likely, they used to be winning bettors who either got lazy with their modeling, or just haven't been able to keep up with the evolution of the industry.  Things move fast, edges are small, and good outs are top secret.  Besides, by the time I've placed a bet, I've moved the line worldwide, so unless you've got a local PPH with static lines (if so, please let me know hahaha), following me would result in neutral-EV bets at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...