I need a surly lawyer to write a strongly worded letter for me

In the event this is serious, a word of general advice from a lawdog:  if the letter you are contemplating is one that will threaten a lawsuit or "legal action" and you aren't willing to take the "legal action," don't bother with the letter.

As a general proposition, people who ignore your demands and entreaties will ignore those from your lawyer, as well.

On occasion, a lawyer letter will work.  More often than not, they don't.  Sometimes, they are necessary as a prerequisite to filing suit, or when you need a lawyer to sort out a complex situation.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

In the event this is serious, a word of general advice from a lawdog:  if the letter you are contemplating is one that will threaten a lawsuit or "legal action" and you aren't willing to take the "legal action," don't bother with the letter.

As a general proposition, people who ignore your demands and entreaties will ignore those from your lawyer, as well.

On occasion, a lawyer letter will work.  More often than not, they don't.  Sometimes, they are necessary as a prerequisite to filing suit, or when you need a lawyer to sort out a complex situation.

I'd add that writing a good letter can take about as much time, and cost about as much money, as drafting a lawsuit, and the letter won't do shit (except possibly, as you say, satisfy a prerequisite).

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have found in general that it is much harder for them to ignore a letter where you threaten to burn down their house with them in it.

On 5/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Sent a PM. I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

I'm not a lawyer either, but have impersonated one, as well as a gynocologist, plastic surgeon, and psychiatrist, so I felt deeply moved to send a PM also.