Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

32 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Nobody holds a candle to the aggys in this regard.  I was at the wedding of Clayton Williams' daughter.  When asked by the minister who gives away this bride, he said "Her mother and I and Texas A&M University!" True story.

Arkansas would like a word with you.  Been to 3 Razorback grads' weddings.  All have had a razorback for a groom cake and all have had the whole crowd do Whoo Pigs Sooie after the kiss.  No, they didn't know each other (but yes they were all likely cousins).

• Haha 2
  • Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering it is sung to the tune of "I've Been Working on the Railroad", shouldn't the Chinese students be the ones with the problem?

I'm a Trump hating liberal and hope the Republican party withers and dies before my children are of voting age.  That being said....  The song isn't racist. The bullshit 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon

I don't like some if the demands but I'm not a black athlete representing the University of Texas. I don't know what it's like to deal with the fucked up system that they've grown up under.  Fuck

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

I was at a wedding a while back and they asked everyone to get in a circle, so I got in the circle. The DJ started saying something about how the bride and groom wanted everyone to take part in one of their favorite traditions and the aggy war hymn started playing. I couldn’t jump out of that circle fast enough.

Just admit that you were hoping for a circle jerk and was disappointed.

• Haha 6
21 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I think an issue between young and old is that the olds probably had way less diversity on campus. They probably had their Conservative/Liberal divide with way more white people, but the ethnic and racial divides are much higher now than when they were on campus.

I'm a 1973 graduate, there were 4% Black students then and 6% now so I don't consider that very different. The biggest difference is the white percentage of students has decreased due to the increase of Asian-Americans and Hispanics. The campus was extremely liberal as evidenced by the size and number of anti-Vietnam War protests and McGovern won the presidential race in '72 by getting over 90% of the vote against Nixon.

In 1971 the Student Senate voted to change the mascot from the Longhorn to the Armadillo because the Armadillo was more peaceful. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

I'm a 1973 graduate, there were 4% Black students then and 6% now so I don't consider that very different. The biggest difference is the white percentage of students has decreased due to the increase of Asian-Americans and Hispanics. The campus was extremely liberal as evidenced by the size and number of anti-Vietnam War protests and McGovern won the presidential race in '72 by getting over 90% of the vote against Nixon.

In 1971 the Student Senate voted to change the mascot from the Longhorn to the Armadillo because the Armadillo was more peaceful. 

Well if that actually happened this could have been our school song:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

Thanks for the insight, love hearing how the older campus issues was like for other folks. I don’t know how many people actually read the daily Texan now.

Crazy growth for Hispanic/Tejano/Latino whatevertheycheckoff and Asian students, hopefully black students in Texas can find it more attainable.

Way too many factors that go into College rankings but I think a clear fundraising and diversification of the student body has done wonders for the standing of Texas with national prestige.

Edited by StassneyHorn
32 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

Kristen Wiig - Dafuq GIF - Dafuq - Discover & Share GIFs | Kristen wiig,  Kristen, Dafuq

How stupid were students back then? Longhorns are herbivores. Armadillos are omnivores. Thus, Longhorns are more peaceful than Armadillos. It's in the science, really it is.

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Arkansas would like a word with you.  Been to 3 Razorback grads' weddings.  All have had a razorback for a groom cake and all have had the whole crowd do Whoo Pigs Sooie after the kiss.  No, they didn't know each other (but yes they were all likely cousins).

Cut them a little slack.

I mean, at least they invented the toothbrush

If that weren't the case, it would be called a "teethbrush".

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

we should fucking repudiate it is what we should do. start with the guy talking about "the blacks." tell him to get fucked, we don't need your racist money.

Fuck that, I'm tired of the shifting goalposts of cultural "racist" victimhood, mostly by ill-read and marginally-experienced Millennial little orange-slice-eating, everyone-got-a-trophy shits.  Their social media slanders of self-declared agendas and demands are equally as bullying as one who shames a donor's E-mail with "the blacks" in its content.

There's a legitimate cause to reform treatment misappropriations, not reinvent a brand because their bygone history doesn't fit their agenda.

We're also not alone in this currently, Baylor is about to deal with the same nonsense that affects the entire institution's name.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2
22 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Kristen Wiig - Dafuq GIF - Dafuq - Discover & Share GIFs | Kristen wiig,  Kristen, Dafuq

How stupid were students back then? Longhorns are herbivores. Armadillos are omnivores. Thus, Longhorns are more peaceful than Armadillos. It's in the science, really it is.

Unless you're a bulldog 

• Hook 'Em 1
1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Just admit that you were hoping for a circle jerk and was disappointed.

Another great aggie tradition!  It was probably after the boot sliding contest though, and after the normal people went home.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

These are some fairly bad portrayals of people from Africa. If you were of African descent, would you want your kids to read books that show them as ape-like? Personally I think the Dr. Seuss group could have edited the books to remove the questionable material but then again perhaps it's just as easy to drop the book. 

yerta.jpg 

Might agree with you on the illustration there.... 

So let me get this straight:

A&M had an uproar and decided not to remove a literal statue to a violent white supremacist (can't even imagine those emails)

Oklahoma's mascot is named after people who cheated to go claim land forcefully taken away from Native Americans

Texas has a song that was once part of a minstrel show a hundred years ago but has no obvious racial connotations 

And Texas is the one they create a story about? Please. Get this soft as shit out of here Tribune. I hope everyone stops clicking on their crap.

• Hook 'Em 7

how the fuck does this same discussion keep popping up every 2-3 months?.....  i beleive this is now the 4th fucking time the same shit keeps being brought up. and its pretty obvious there is a back end agenda being handled.

I personally dont believe the song was intended to be racist, but at this point, the bullshit social genie is out of the bottle and I dont see anyway of corking that bottle again.

we are going to have to shelve the song. 

plus in the 8 months since the original petition hit the same fucking discussion keeps being brought back to the front page by various news orgs.... they arent going to let this issue die, and there is a damn good chance in another 2-3 months its gonna pop up again.

• Hook 'Em 1
21 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So let me get this straight:

A&M had an uproar and decided not to remove a literal statue to a violent white supremacist (can't even imagine those emails)

Oklahoma's mascot is named after people who cheated to go claim land forcefully taken away from Native Americans

Texas has a song that was once part of a minstrel show a hundred years ago but has no obvious racial connotations 

And Texas is the one they create a story about? Please. Get this soft as shit out of here Tribune. I hope everyone stops clicking on their crap.

aggy and sooner also had 9-10 win seasons and didn't have a coaching change.. This fall if Texas gets 10+ wins next year / wins the conference no one gives a shit about The Eyes story. 

3 hours ago, Restinmybones said:

I defy ANYONE to find anything "racist" in those Seuss books. Personally, I think we're going nuts as a culture. This won't stop anytime soon and will NOT end well.

Do your homework, then post. The Chinese man running down the street eating rice from a bowl with chopsticks in What I Saw on Mulberry Street is pretty racist. And since that is the only depiction of a person of Chinese heritage in the entire book, it looks pretty bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

I was at a wedding a while back and they asked everyone to get in a circle, so I got in the circle. The DJ started saying something about how the bride and groom wanted everyone to take part in one of their favorite traditions and the aggy war hymn started playing. I couldn’t jump out of that circle fast enough.

HAHAHA this (more or less) happened to me once. Sang it really loud and really, really off key.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Texas73 said:

Damn I did not know that. Wonder what they'd do w/ XV.

15 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Do your homework, then post. The Chinese man running down the street eating rice from a bowl with chopsticks in What I Saw on Mulberry Street is pretty racist. And since that is the only depiction of a person of Chinese heritage in the entire book, it looks pretty bad. 

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Not sure I agree with that, chief.

• Fuck You 2
19 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

In fact, asshole, I don't see it, at all. Guess your lobotomy didn't work.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1
33 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

The depiction of Africans is super racist.

• Hook 'Em 1
21 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

In fact, asshole, I don't see it, at all. Guess your lobotomy didn't work.

Goodness. Your words are so tough and so scary. 

Surly-Please.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1
7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't know if it's ironic or unironic but Asians are amongst the most racist people I've encountered in the world.

Multironic. This has been my experience, as well.

2 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Fuck that, I'm tired of the shifting goalposts of cultural "racist" victimhood, mostly by ill-read and marginally-experienced Millennial little orange-slice-eating, everyone-got-a-trophy shits.  Their social media slanders of self-declared agendas and demands are equally as bullying as one who shames a donor's E-mail with "the blacks" in its content.

Point of order for you guys when you are going on these incredible rants, you need to adjust your buzzwords. Technically I'm a millennial and I'm closer to 40 than 30 at this point. No typical college student or athlete is a millennial, the young people that are now ruining the world are Gen Z.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I don’t know what the university’s response to these emails were, but regardless of the song issue, racist shit like those emails should not be tolerated. Those fuck heads thinking their money is the end of the line are sadly mistaken and wish the university would call them out on their shit and tell them to keep their money and let them watch the university succeed without them.

• Hook 'Em 5
4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Then they're likely rubes or T-shirt fans.  I was at a wedding once with Frank Broyles and trust me, no one did that.

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The old guard has done such a shitty job with football that maybe they should turn it over to the woke crowd.

Ain't that the truth. One National championship in 50 years is fucking ridiculous for a program like ours. 

36 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The old guard has done such a shitty job with football that maybe they should turn it over to the woke crowd.

Woke crowd:  Can't start Hudson Card, too many "privilegeds" huddled around the center.

Woke crowd:  Coach Banks needs to enroll in sensitivity training.  Girlfriend checks out but pet monkey is highly racist.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I love the Eyes of Texas but I love winning football games more. This is not Sark or Herman’s or the donors fault. This falls on CDC and the admin to get control of this like they should have done a long ass time ago.

So if we get rid of the Eyes we will win championships? That's been the issue? 

• Hook 'Em 1

OK, I've ignored this story for the first two or three laps, but today I found myself listening to various back and forth on "sports" radio.

Is the alleged racist connotation the fact that UT students performed the song in blackface minstrel shows, or does it go farther . . . are the "eyes" on African Americans exclusively, as in "keep in line"?

I know, Quan says we'll get the whole history next week, but it would be nice to know whether it's the actual lyrics that are the problem or if it's just the fact that ignorant trash sang the song.  If it's the latter, they also breathed, pissed and shit, and nobody is (to my knowledge) suggesting that breathing, pissing or shitting are racist acts.

• Hook 'Em 4
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is the alleged racist connotation the fact that UT students performed the song in blackface minstrel shows, or does it go farther . . . are the "eyes" on African Americans exclusively, as in "keep in line"?

That’s basically it but it’s probably more so that it was written for and made its debut at a campus minstrel show than the subsequent performances at them over the years. 

For the second part of the question there really isn‚Äôt any¬†evidence that the lyrics are a problem. I think when the controversy first popped up there was some¬†belief among players and black students¬†that the lyrics referred to ‚Äúthe eyes‚ÄĚ of slave owners being upon slaves but contemporary stories about¬†the song being written have been pretty clear that they are a play on something the University president said at the time and don‚Äôt have a racial connotation. We‚Äôll see if¬†the report turns up any new information.¬†

Edited by UncleSonny
5 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Not gonna read this whole thread but just came to say F the Texas Tribune for digging up old drama based on random emails. Classic manufacturing of a story for clicks.

Give them some credit, those emails weren't chosen at random. They deliberately chose the worst ones they could find.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

So if we get rid of the Eyes we will win championships? That's been the issue? 

No, but there are people who cheer for this university who would rather sing a song than win football games. I’d love to do both but I won’t let one get in the way of the other. We lost of our arch rival in 4 OT’s and not one story after the game had anything to do with the game itself.

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I've ignored this story for the first two or three laps, but today I found myself listening to various back and forth on "sports" radio.

I know, Quan says we'll get the whole history next week, but it would be nice to know whether it's the actual lyrics that are the problem or if it's just the fact that ignorant trash sang the song.  If it's the latter, they also breathed, pissed and shit, and nobody is (to my knowledge) suggesting that breathing, pissing or shitting are racist acts.

Mainly the origins but I‚Äôve heard a lot of people (particular current students and recent grads)¬†claim that the line¬†‚Äúyou cannot get away‚ÄĚ refers directly to runaway slaves and that the ‚ÄúEyes‚ÄĚ are slave masters or something like that. Frankly it seems to me that its¬†lyrical interpretation has¬†somewhat devolved into a game of telephone where one person creates an interpretation that is suddenly accepted as ‚Äúfact.‚ÄĚ Whether accurate or not, people on social media eat that up and suddenly it‚Äôs the truth.

• Hook 'Em 2
22 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Mainly the origins but I‚Äôve heard a lot of people (particular current students and recent grads)¬†claim that the line¬†‚Äúyou cannot get away‚ÄĚ refers directly to runaway slaves and that the ‚ÄúEyes‚ÄĚ are slave masters or something like that. Frankly it seems to me that its¬†lyrical interpretation has¬†somewhat devolved into a game of telephone where one person creates an interpretation that is suddenly accepted as ‚Äúfact.‚ÄĚ Whether accurate or not, people on social media eat that up and suddenly it‚Äôs the truth.

Well, I have to admit, that was the only angle I could come up with when trying to figure out how the song itself is racist, and I haven't paid any attention to the controversy over the last 9 months.

So, it's not out of the question, although the timing seems odd.  I mean, weren't the lyrics crafted well past the turn of the century?  

I'm probably rehashing many old discussions, but I'm not reading 132 pages.  I'll bow out and wait for the (ahem) "report".  (You know, the one that says it's OK to sing the song, because that was clearly the conclusion going in.)

Posted (edited)

The Eyes of Texas was written as a parody on President Prather in 1903 and people honestly think it is referring to slave owners keeping their eyes on runaway slaves? Really? It is not a proud fact but there were no Black students at UT for over 50 years after the song was written. What sense does it make for the students who were all white singing a racist song referring to Black slaves?

If that were the case then it would have been documented as racists can't hide their racism for that many decades. And if the song was written for that purpose then of course we would ditch it. 

Edited by Texas73
  • Hook 'Em 2
2 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

The Eyes of Texas was written as a parody on President Prather in 1903 and people honestly think it is referring to slave owners keeping their eyes on runaway slaves? Really? It is not a proud fact but there were no Black students at UT for over 50 years after the song was written. What sense does it make for the students who were all white singing a racist song referring to Black slaves?

If that were the case then it would have been documented as racists can't hide their racism for that many decades. And if the song was written for that purpose then of course we would ditch it. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

My great grandfather was probably in attendance for the creation of this song. My grandfather sang it to my dad, and I sang it to my kids at bedtime. Maybe they will to their kids, maybe they won't, but it's just time it moves out of the public eye. 

• Like 1

I receive calls from current UT students asking me to donate to the school.  I am going to start my own poll on what they think of the song as that will be my leading comment after they ask me for more money.

• Hook 'Em 2
7 hours ago, Texas73 said:

Well the team has tended to roll up when faced with danger over the last decade or so...

• Hook 'Em 1
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Personally I think the Dr. Seuss group could have edited the books to remove the questionable material but then again perhaps it's just as easy to drop the book. 

yerta.jpg 

What does Chris Derry have to do with Dr. Suess?

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Haha 2