...suppliers that use monkey labor...

Gil Bang

(I'm in Thailand. I have nothing to do with the coconut business, other than being a consumer.)

This is a seriously stupid noisemaking case by Peta, and the "evidence" is such tightly framed garbage. People need to step back and realize this is similar to the Ady Gil boat sinking with Sea Shepherd, it's a publicity grab to spur more donations, and nothing more.

The entire premise makes no sense; in their "evidence" video, you can see how much difficulty a monkey has separating one single coconut. If they'd actually show coconuts being delivered, you'd see that bulk coconuts are harvested cutting the entire cluster of coconuts at once, it's a stupid waste of time and labor to cut each individual coconut. And the video tries to show that the monkey is kept on a leash while doing this, so one human is still following each monkey around. You'd need hundreds of monkeys handled by hundreds of people, and believe me, noone wants to take care of hundreds of monkeys, they're a huge pain in the ass. Then the footage shows piles of coconuts in various stages of husk - that's where all the labor is and it's half mechanized and half migrant workers that are treated far worse than monkeys.

There are plenty of monkey issues in Thailand, just not the Peta bullshit above. Some are likely used as shown by individual farmers for local market sale, not commercial wholesale. Many are used in various circus shows and seriously abused. I would bet that's where their footage is from as well; a demonstration show targeted at tourists where they send a monkey to get a coconut. Those are dying out as a function of supply and demand; western tourists no longer want to watch animals get abused so obviously for entertainment, and eastern tourists have dried up due to Covid. No company in mass coconut production is using monkeys.

This is a bigger real monkey issue - huge overpopulation, a somewhat protected cultural icon, that is a huge social nuisance:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1876489/monkey-brawl-in-lop-buri-shocks-humans

The military periodically "spay/neuters and relocates" part of those nuisance populations, the suspicion is they actually just euthanize the monkeys they take for that program (makes a lot more sense).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

give me a few years and a couple rule changes and I’ll show you a monkey that could QB for the Browns. 

I mean, did you see our QB play from 2010-2016?  A football throwing monkey would have been an improvement.