Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

15 minutes ago, DeAngelloBeige said:

Yep, off a 7 minute highlight clip that shows him getting worked by other recruits in his class, specifically another big! He was out worked, out hustled and outclassed. IF he’s a first round pick it won’t be in the lottery. FYI I’m a longhorn homer as well, but I call it how I see it

1-Even in that short clip you could tell that Drive Nation was playing a lot of zone and doubling Will Baker because they probably couldn't stop him. 

2-Do a little research beyond a 8 minute highlight clip. Baker has arguably been the best player on the AAU circuit this year and anyone questioning his game is totally lost. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Its like some of y'all do not watch college basketball at all. Chicago Loyola went to the final 4 with a fat 6'8 true freshman PF and some guards that could shoot the lights out. I'll take some 7 footers that can shoot any day over a "super athlete" that can't. We have seen what Texas athletes that can't shoot worth a shit have gotten us lately.

You can play true zones in college so these guys not being "athletic" means jack shit in college, Now if you want to say they will struggle in the NBA then sure but college and pro are two different worlds.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Its like some of y'all do not watch college basketball at all. Chicago Loyola went to the final 4 with a fat 6'8 true freshman PF and some guards that could shoot the lights out. I'll take some 7 footers that can shoot any day over a "super athlete" that can't. We have seen what Texas athletes that can't shoot worth a shit have gotten us lately.

You can play true zones in college so these guys not being "athletic" means jack shit in college, Now if you want to say they will struggle in the NBA then sure but college and pro are two different worlds.

You're right but thing is Baker is actually a really good athlete for his size. It's why you shouldn't judge a player off a 8 minute highlight video.

Baker can jump out of the gym. 

Baker doesn't have Bamba's athleticism but he's still very much a plus athlete at his size. Much more skilled than Bamba was at this point of his career. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I'll take some 7 footers that can shoot any day over a "super athlete" that can't.

Speaking of this it's obvious Shaka has recognized he needs to get more skilled bigs vs just the "super athlete" mold. 

Hepa, Timme and Baker are the types you see killing it with Gonzaga. Unsurprisingly, Gonzaga was one of the first big schools to offer Timme. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 hours ago, Carl Winslow said:

didn't realize that kj adams and will baker were aau teammates. if jarrett allen and will baker both end up at texas that could bode well for kj's recruitment.

also, #0 in white looks like an elite defender at the high school level. he really stood out on that end.

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

also, #0 in white looks like an elite defender at the high school level. he really stood out on that end.

Iwuakor. Raw but hell of an athlete. He's starting to get big offers....he was offered by Florida tonight. 

If we miss on Timme and Baker I wouldn't be surprised if we offered. 

The rankings are really bad this cycle. No chance Iwuakor is only the 166th ranked prospect. 

I'm for any recruiting plan that gets us guys with basketball skills. Come March, you don't get extra credit for your guys' SPARQ scores. Just sign some dudes who can shoot, will work hard and take pride in coalescing into a team. That would put us ahead of where we have been lately. 

17 hours ago, Carl Winslow said:

texas missed the cut for drew timme

I don't think Timme was ever coming to Texas but this probably signals that Timme believes Baker is picking Texas. 

It's very unlikely that 2 bigs of Timme and Baker's caliber would play at the same school. 

Edited by texasstrong12

58 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think Timme was ever coming to Texas but this probably signals that Timme believes Baker is picking Texas. 

It's very unlikely that 2 bigs of Timme and Baker's caliber would play at the same school. 

That's a quite the optimistic view.

Edited by Atticus

37 minutes ago, Atticus said:

That's a quite the optimistic view.

Optimistic but I think we would have made Timme's top 10 if he didn't think Baker was headed to Texas. These recruits all have a general idea where others are headed. It's how most of these recruiting "analysts" make predictions. The predictions are often just other recruits telling "analysts" where they think a recruit is headed. 

McComas at OB has been saying the same thing. These 2 aren't going to end up at the same school. 

Edited by texasstrong12

The most interesting thing so far is Texas hasn't made any new offers at PF/C. Iwuakor would be a good back up option but it seems like this staff feels like they are going to land somebody out of this group. 

I've seen Shaka/Texas mentioned a lot with Jaden McDaniels. I'm not saying we are going to land him but I think we have a much better shot in this recruitment than people think. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaden-McDaniels-46046881

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The most interesting thing so far is Texas hasn't made any new offers at PF/C. Iwuakor would be a good back up option but it seems like this staff feels like they are going to land somebody out of this group. 

I've seen Shaka/Texas mentioned a lot with Jaden McDaniels. I'm not saying we are going to land him but I think we have a much better shot in this recruitment than people think. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaden-McDaniels-46046881

• PF
  • 6-11
  • 182    <<<< Is that before lunch or after?
  • CLASS OF 19

Never realized Donovan Williams was the brother of Kelsey Bone. Either way, Texas still has things working in their favor. Jai Lucas and Williams have apparently known each other since Williams was a kid. Which isn't surprising based on the Houston connection with John Lucas. 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/2019-s-donovan-williams-no-longer-a-sleeper

Texas: “I’m taking a visit to UT once I get back from camp. UT is big. Jai Lucas is like family to me. If I think about going there I know that I’ll always have family around campus so that’s just big to have a feeling like that knowing that if I go there it would be like home.”

On 8/3/2018 at 1:02 PM, texasstrong12 said:

But they would play together at Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, or a slew of other schools that knew how to design a coherent offense.

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

But they would play together at Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, or a slew of other schools that knew how to design a coherent offense.

No they wouldn't. Timme and Baker won't end up at the same school regardless of "coherent offense". 

They want to be the "guy" which is the case with a lot of basketball recruits. Two high caliber players with similar skillsets rarely end up at the same school. 

Which is why if we land Baker the other type big we take will be somebody like Kai Jones who is a completely different mold than Baker/Timme.

Edited by texasstrong12

30 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

No they wouldn't. Timme and Baker won't end up at the same school regardless of "coherent offense". 

They want to be the "guy" which is the case with a lot of basketball recruits. Two high caliber players with similar skillsets rarely end up at the same school. 

Which is why if we land Baker the other type big we take will be somebody like Kai Jones who is a completely different mold than Baker/Timme.

Yes that is why Duke had 3 guys that played the same position last year, and just signed a class with the top 3 players, 2 of which play the exact same position. Besides there is enough difference in their games to make it possible to play them together at the 4 and 5.

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes that is why Duke had 3 guys that played the same position last year, and just signed a class with the top 3 players, 2 of which play the exact same position. Besides there is enough difference in their games to make it possible to play them together at the 4 and 5.

Duke signed a PG, a SG, a PF, and 2 SF. The two small forwards (Reddish and Baker) are completely different molds. 

There's obviously examples of top tier prospects with similar skillsets that end up playing together but it's a rarity. Timme and Baker are both really similar molds. Old-school skilled bigs. The chances two bigs like that end up playing together is unlikely. 

McComas over at OB has pretty much said the same.